Saturday, December 10, 2011

Edi's Book Lighthouse #1150

Hello and welcome to issue #1150 of Edi's Weekend Wave.
THE WORK IS DONE!! Last Wednesday I finished my big project which kept me more than busy in the past two and a half months. I started to return to normal working days. I still feel a bit exhausted. But that will change in a couple of days. I look forward to Tuesday when my wife and I will visit the Christmas Market in Mainz. Anyway today the Weekend Wave will be a bit longer than last week.

ENJOY READING ....



Edi's Guidepost

The Lighthouse
News and information straight from the horse's mouth by Lighthouse keeper ediFanoB

  1. Light and Breezy
  2. I did a guest post
  3. Reading progress
Books
The latest report from our shelf shop net correspondent Bona
  1. One+one+one=three
  2. A discovery
Blogosphere
Messages from the depths of the blogosphere by spheronaut Bona Fide
  1. My guest post
  2. Manhole Cover Art
  3. Insight into blogger's heart

Movies
Remote control junkie Fide and his zapping highlights
  1. The Grey

Quotes
The member of the house of quotes and a quote himself the Keeper of the minutes ( we call him Kotm) fished for you
  1. German proverbs, sayings and idioms Quotes related to time

The Lighthouse

Dear readers,
light and breezy! That's how I feel today. As I wrote above, normal working days are ahead. I started to return to a more normal life. That means time for reading, reviewing and blogging.
While writing this post I listen to following song: Somebody That I Used To Know perfomed by Gotye (featuring Kimbra). The video has been uploaded in July 2011. I took me only five months to discover it - better late than never. There is something in this song which force me to hear it again and again and again and again and again, and ....



Again I read only on two days last week! I read in sum 272 pages and finished an omnibus. I know it will change from now on. Only 735 pages left until I reach my target ....

I finished

- Theft of Swords (pb, November 23rd 2011) [ISBN-13: 978-0316187747] by Michael J. Sullivan
I wrote on GOODREADS:
"What a great and entertaining read. A story with twists and turns and loveable characters.

If you are looking for an extraordinary good traditional epic fantasy then read
the Riyria Revelations series."


I'm

- 226 pages in The Wise Man's Fear (994 pages, trade paperback, UK 2011) [ISBN-13: 978-0575081420] by Patrick Rothfuss
Sixteen pages more ....

- 233 pages in of The Whitefire Crossing (ebook, 2011) [ISBN-13: 978-1597802833] by Courtney Schafer.
The more I read the more I like Dev and Kiran. Every time when you think Dev and Kiran found a way to escape their trouble more trouble arrives ...

- 33 pages in CassaFirE (pb, Feruary 28th 2012) [ISBN-13: 978-0982713945] by Alex J. Cavanaugh.
Twenty years later. Byron kept his promise. But a young scientist and a female pilot disturb his life ....

That means there are only 1598 pages left to be read in 22 days.
Then I will have finished
- The Wise Man's Fear by Patrick Rothfuss
- The Whitefire Crossing by Courtney Schafer
- A Place called Armageddon by C C Humphreys
- CassaFirE by Alex J. Cavanaugh.


Enjoy your weekend ....


Books

Dear readers, I'm the one to tell you about books - only books? What about novellas and other stuff? My name is Bona. I scour shelves, shops and the net for books. If you call me a book whore I would not gainsay you. But be aware I have my own, sometimes elusive taste.

In sum I received three books last week - Two real copies and one electronic copy. Let me start with the electronic one. On August 24th I posted my review of Fistful of Reefer (Kindle edition, 553kb, July 2011)[Amazon ASIN: B005DUB4X4] by David Mark Brown. Last week the author sent my a copy of The Austin Job (Kindle edition, 525kb, December 2011)[Amazon ASIN: B006J0X0IO], which is the second book in the Reeferpunk universe.
"With the world embroiled in the Great War, power-hungry forces threaten to tear apart the state of Texas in a secret plot to rule the resource that will fuel the future. In The Austin Job, James Starr, bronc rider turned politician, stumbles into a high stakes game of power and lies that he must master before it masters him.
Exploding with double-fisted, cheek-puckering action, including the world's fist parkour stunt horse, The Austin Job dares you to cinch your saddle to a bolt of Lone Star lightning and hold on for dear life.
In this second book of his Reeferpunk series, Author David Mark Brown invites the reader into a world illuminated by human torches and moonlight towers, an underground Austin inhabited by machine and monster alike, where what you don't know can get you killed--or just really, really messed up." [Source]
I liked the first book which I read on my notebook. Fortunately I can read the second book on our eReader.

The next book is the third and final book in the The Ancient Blades trilogy: Honor Among Thieves (December 2011) [ISBN-13: 978-0062021267] by David Chandler.
"When allies become enemies, to whom can a clever thief turn?
Armed with one of seven Ancient Blades, Malden was chosen by Fate to act as savior . . . and failed dismally. And now there is no stopping the barbarian hordes from invading and pillaging the kingdom of Skrae. Suddenly friends and former supporters alike covet the young hero’s magic while seeking his destruction—from the treacherous King and leaders of the City of Ness to the rogue knight Croy, who owes Malden his life.
I
t will take more than Malden’s makeshift army of harlots and cutpurses to preserve a realm. Luckily the sorceress Cythera fights at his side, along with the ingenious, irascible dwarf Slag. And the wily thief still has a desperate and daring plan or two up his larcenous sleeve . . . " [Source]
I wanted to read the whole trilogy back to back. Now I own all books. But there is not enough time left to read The Ancient Blades trilogy in 2011. So I moved the books to my 2012 to read list.

The third and final book is a special one. If you are not interested in history, the following book presentation maybe be boring for you. Like a lot of fantasy lovers I'm interested in history. I must admit I do not know much about Russian history. I know that A.L. Berridge author of The Chevalier Series) is working on a book set in the Crimean War. Be honest, what do you know about this war? I know that it was one of the first wars which has been well documented by photographs and written documents. Florence Nightingale nursed wounded soldiers over there.
I did not really think about to read a Crimean War history book. And then following happened last week. In a supplement of a daily newspaper I read a praise for a book about the Crimean War. This enlightening book delivers a better understanding of the world. There is none who write about battles and wars as entertaining as the British historian Orlando Figes.
I'm sure you know the end of the story. I ordered a copy of Crimea (pb, 2011) [ISBN-13: 978-0141013503] by Orlando Figes.
"The Crimean War was the defining conflict of the nineteenth century and one of the fiercest battles in Russia's history: pitting its empire against an alliance of Britain, France and Turkey, killing at least 800,000 men and completely redrawing the map of Europe.It was the first conflict to use photography, the telegraph and newspapers; the original 'total war'.

Orlando Figes' vivid new book reinterprets this extraordinary conflict. Bringing to life ordinary soldiers in snow-filled trenches, surgeons on the battlefield and the haunted, fanatical figure of Tsar Nicholas himself, Crimea tells the human story of a tragic war." [Back of the book]
I can't wait to read it. I need to finish my current reads as soon as possible. It sounds like the kind of history books we wanted at our school time. So far I did not find any negative review.


The following discovery is a result of my guest post over at Alex J. Cavanaugh. Later on you will read more about it. M Pax left a comment at my guest post and on my blog. I did not take long to find out that M Pax is the author of the space opera novelette Semper Audacia (ebook, available at Smashwords and other shops).
"Alone. Leda is the last living member of the brigade, the sole defender of her world. War took everyone she knew, leaving her in the company of memories and ghosts. Or is it madness? The siren blares. The enemy is coming. Or is it? The approaching vessel isn’t a friendly design, but it answers with the correct code. Leda must figure out whether the arrival is reinforcements or the final assault. In an aging flyer, she ventures out to meet her world’s fate, the last stand." [Source]
I found the synopsis interesting enough to present you the book.
You get a more intense impression when you read the first chapter.
Maybe you are looking for an eReader owner Christmas present. It seems you will get a good story for only $0.99 USD.
Have a look at the trailer:


.


No more today, see you next week ......


Blogosphere

Hey, I'm Bona Fide. I just came back from my last foray through the blogosphere. What can you expect from me? I tell you: Everything from Art to Fart as long as there is any faint connection to books. And here is some honey from the beehive blogosphere...

Despite the fact, that I had nearly no time for reading and my blog, I found time to write a guest post for Alex J. Cavanaugh. I promised it at time when time was not a big issue for me.
Anyway I kept my promise. Maybe you would like to know what I wrote. You are just one click away.

I must say I have been surprised by the number of comments. It took some time to reply answer them all. One result of my guest post is a growing number of followers. I don't want to miss to give a warm welcome to all my new followers. Hope you will like what I deliver.


Again and again WebUrbanist surprise me with excellent and refreshing posts. When we walk through a town we do not often look at the ground. Obviously it is too dangerous to lose sight of traffic. But without looking at the ground we definitely miss pieces of art. Fortunately we can trust in WebUrbanist. Sooner or later they show us what we miss. Have a look or two at


The blogger I know do not get paid for their blog. It is a hobby like knitting. But we are surrounded by professionals. We are proud of what we are doing. But we are not without self-doubt.
SQT over at Fantasy & SciFi Lovin' News & Reviews wrote a great post which gives you an insight into blogger's heart. The post reflects my feelings too.
Read Why Blogging Sometimes Scares Me to get more information.

That's it for today. Come back next week for more ......

Movies

Hey, it's me Fide. I'm a remote control professional. I'm that fast that I can watch two movies at the same time.
But don't worry. All the stuff I present to you will be shown at normal speed.

Big bad wolves, severe cold and a tough guy are some of the ingredients of the upcoming survival thriller The Grey. And this is the official trailer:


That's all for today. See you next time....


Quotes

I 'm the Keeper of the minutes. But I don't mind when you call me Kotm. No, no. I don't explain to you how to pronounce.

I'm glad that I got more time for quote search. I decided to go for time quotes because there is nearly no post on this blog which does not contain the word time ...


"What very mysterious things days were. Sometimes they fly by, and other times they seem to last forever, yet they are all exactly twenty-four hours. There's quite a lot we don't know about them.
Melanie Benjamin, Alice I Have Been, 2010


"Time is the coin of your life. It is the only coin you have, and only you can determine how it will be spent. Be careful lest you let other people spend it for you.
Carl Sandburg, US biographer & poet (1878 - 1967)


"Nothing is as far away as one minute ago.
Jim Bishop

19 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Aren't you glad you said yes to the guest post? Happy to host you!
Glad you found MPax's book as well. And that you've found time to read mine.
Have an awesome weekend!

Kittie Howard said...

Congrats! You've accomplished much. Hope you enjoy the Christmas Market. I rather envy you, as I've been to the one in Frankfurt and it's a treasure!

welcome to my world of poetry said...

Congrats on your accomplishment, hope all goes well for you.

Yvonne.

ediFanoB said...

Hi Alex,

yesterday I danced around the table!
The guest post was a great idea. Thank you for hosting me.

Alex, I promised you an early review and I want to keep my promise.

ediFanoB said...

@Kitty,

thank you!
There are a lot of Christmas Markets in our region and it is nearly impossible to visit them all. As you have been to the one in Frankfurt you know what I'm talking about. I like the atmosphere a lot. The smells, the sounds and of course a bit Glühwein.

ediFanoB said...

@Yvonne,

thank you. I also hope all goes well for you. Wish you a relaxing weekend.

N. R. Williams said...

Nice to meet you Edi. I came over from Alex's blog. Loved your post and will be back for some of your awesome reviews. When I finish my 2nd book I will see if you have the time to read both.
Cheers from Colorado, USA.
Nancy

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Dude! You went over a hundred followers. Awesome!

Melissa Bradley said...

What an amazing list of accomplishments! Good for you, Edi. Just popped over from Alex's blog and it is very nice to meet you. Sorry I'm so late. :)

Mark Lawrence said...

Hey Edi! See you're keeping busy. I might be asking you some questions in the new year if you're up for it:

http://mark---lawrence.blogspot.com/

I think a Q&A with a non-UK/US blogger might be interesting!

ediFanoB said...

@N. R. Williams,

nice to meet you too. I must say tI never expected so many comments on my guest post.

Good luck for your second book. Review requests are welcomed. Unfortunately I have a backlog of reviews due to time problems in the past three months.
Anyway when you have finished your second book send me a mail and we will see what I can do for you.

ediFanoB said...

Alex, I'm dumbfounded!!
So many followers. And they all have expectations and I'm afraid I do not get enough time to deliver proper content.
The worst thing at the moment i the review backlog.
Anyway I will finish reading CassaFirE within this week and you can expect a review next week.

ediFanoB said...

@Melissa Bradley,

thanks for compliments. I never expected that. It is nice to meet you too Melissa. And to be honest you are not to late.

ediFanoB said...

@Mark Lawrence,

I would like to do a Q&A with you.
I have some days off between Christmas and New Year.
Would it be possible for you to mail me the questions before Christmas. Then I can answer them without stress.
Then it is up to you to decide when you want to post the Q&A.

Rosalie Skinner said...

Hi Edi, I love that clip of Gotye's too. Played it over and over and over... even have the grandkids hooked on it. 'The painting song' they call it.
I held tickets to his concert in my hand.. but they weren't mine. Still.. he's an awesome talent.
Congratulations on your accomplishment. Due to health issues I haven't been online, so will head over now to Alex's blog and check out your post.
Have a great Christmas.

ediFanoB said...

@Rosalie,

first of all I hope and wish you get well soon.

Gotye is a talented artist.

Have a great Christmas too.

Nic said...

Just wanted to say thanks for the tip for "Theft of Swords". Got it on Sunday, started with it today, and now I am at page 135. Great story, enthralling, page turner...can't lay it down...the interaction between Hadrian and Royce is great. It's good old fantasy stuff.

Nic

ediFanoB said...

@Nic,

the Riyria Revelations series is a gem.
I will start reading the second omnibus soon.

Nic said...

@ Edi:

Yeah it is a gem, for sure.

It even made think about running a fantasy rpg group again.
I am now in the middle of the second book of "Theft of swords" and it's getting better and better.

I wish you "einen guten Rutsch" and may your wishes come true in 2012.

Nic

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...