Saturday, November 19, 2011

Edi's Weekend Wave #1147

Hello and welcome to issue #1147 of Edi's Weekend Wave.
You will recognize that it is a bit shorter as usually. I don't want to repeat the reasons for that. I'm happy that I could write this post and hope you will find something to enjoy

ENJOY READING ....



Edi's Guidepost

The Lighthouse
News and information straight from the horse's mouth by Lighthouse keeper ediFanoB

  1. Reading progress
  2. We did it, we did it, we did it
Books
The latest report from our shelf shop net correspondent Bona
  1. Michael J. Sullivan
  2. Looking fora new urban fantasy series?
Blogosphere
Messages from the depths of the blogosphere by spheronaut Bona Fide
  1. Author and Singer
  2. An impressive Victorian London compendium
Movies
Remote control junkie Fide and his zapping highlights
  1. Mirror, Mirror and/or Snow White and the Huntsman
Games
The old codger himself (ediFanoB) tortures PC and Consoles
  1. The game we will play for the next months


Quotes
The member of the house of quotes and a quote himself the Keeper of the minutes ( we call him Kotm) fished for you
  1. German proverbs, sayings and idioms Yes, I found one

The Lighthouse

Again I consumed most of my reading on Saturday and Sunday. In sum I read 450 pages which means I missed my weekly target by 40 pages. But the good thing is that I now have read more books in 2011 than I read in 2010 and 2009. Only eight books left until I reach the magic 70.
In case I count my current read - Theft of Swords omnibus - as two and finish it like the second current read - The Wise Man's Fear - then I need only five more .... I'm dreaming ...



Anyway I was more than happy to that I doubled my reading progress compared to the week before. Only 1830 pages left until I read my target of 25550 pages in 2011!

I finished

- TimeRiders: The Eternal War (416 pages, pb, 2011) [ISBN-13: 978-0141336336] by Alex Scarrow
This is the fourth book in the planned seven book time travel series TimeRiders.
I wrote on GOODREADS:
"Compared to the three previous books Sal, Liam and Maddy had a lot more contacts with people from other time lines. Normally they avoid contact.
So travel ack in time to the American Civil War and meet Abraham Lincoln ...
As the previous books it ends with a revelation and new questions.
It was as good as book two and three. "


- Exiled: The Legacy of Lathraine's Pledge (eBook, November 11th 2011) [MuseItUp Publishing] by Rosalie Skinner,
This is the first book which I read on our brand new e-book reader!!
I wrote on GOODREADS:
"Another great book in the series. Full of magic, supernatural,self-doubt, revenge, friendship, trust, deception and adventure. Characters to love and to hate.
Can't wait to read the next book.
"


I'm

- 154 pages in The Wise Man's Fear (994 pages, trade paperback, UK 2011) [ISBN-13: 978-0575081420] by Patrick Rothfuss
NO PROGRESS.

- 335 pages in Theft of Swords (pb, November 23rd 2011) [ISBN-13: 978-0316187747] by Michael J. Sullivan
NO PROGRESS



We did it! We bought an e-book reader even it is not Christmas!! My wife and I could not resist.
Not far away from our flat is a big store which sells everything from PC to television, from mobile phones to coffee machines. And last week they offered the e-book reader which we wanted to buy. I came home from work late and my wife told me about the offer. We looked at each other, grinned and went immediately to the shop and bought a white colored Sony PRS-T1. For details please read this excellent Sony PR-T1 review which includes two videos.
My wife and I are really happy with our choice. It is exactly what we wanted. As we own a lot of electronic copies it was no problem to fill a shelf. One thing we do not like is that there is no real space for the stylus.
My wife likes the PDF capabilities a lot. I have been surprised how fast the integrated dictionaries work. It is quite comfortable to press a finger on a word and get the translation within milliseconds.
As I wrote above it was Exiled: The Legacy of Lathraine's Pledge which I read as my first book on the reader. To be honest when I compare the e-ink display from the reader with the laptop screen it is like day and night. The e-ink display is really eye friendly. And when I fall asleep the reader goes into sleep mode too (after three minutes of inactivity). Even I still love real books I will read more e-books from now on.

Enjoy your weekend ....


Books

Dear readers, I'm the one to tell you about books - only books? What about novellas and other stuff? My name is Bona. I scour shelves, shops and the net for books. If you call me a book whore I would not gainsay you. But be aware I have my own, sometimes elusive taste.

Last week I received the second omnibus in the Riyria Revelations series which contains Nyphron Rising and The Emerald Storm . I talk about Rise of Empire (pb, Dezember 2011) [ISBN-13: 978-0356501079] by Michael J. Sullivan
"The adventure continues as Royce and Hadrian aid the struggling kingdom of Melengar as it alone stands in defiance against the newly formed empire. War approaches and a desperate gamble behind enemy lines is their only chance at forming an alliance with the Nationalists to the south.
But Royce has plans of his own as he uses this opportunity to discover if an ancient wizard is using Riyria as pawns in his own bid for power. To find the truth, Royce must unravel Hadrian's hidden past. What he discovers will lead them to the end of the known world on a journey rife with treachery and intrigue.
When author Michael J. Sullivan self-published the first books of his Riyria Revelations, they rapidly became ebook bestsellers. Now, Orbit is pleased to present the complete series for the first time in bookstores everywhere.
Rise of Empire was originally published as: Nyphron Rising and The Emerald Storm." [Source]
As I liked the first part of the first omnibus that much, there is no way out the I will read the second omnibus as soon as I have finished the first one.


I like Stephen Zimmer who is one of the authors of Seventh Star Press a lot. Whenever possible I spread word about new books. And I must say Seventh Star Press is a busy publisher. This time it is all about a new urban fantasy series by Michael West.

Please note that following part of this post is the official press release:
"Seventh Star Press Proudly Announces New Four Book Urban Fantasy Series From Michael West

Seventh Star Press is proud to announce Legacy of the Gods, an exciting new urban fantasy series from Michael West that begins with Poseidon's Children. Four titles are scheduled in the series. The award-winning horror author's foray into urban fantasy is his second series with Seventh Star Press, joining his Harmony Indiana novels in a schedule that will see two books a year released from the prolific author.

Poseidon's Children has already received high praise from Maurice Broaddus, whose series, The Knights of Breton Court, has been making big waves in the urban fantasy world. As Maurice commented, “Poseidon’s Children is some of Michael West’s best writing and storytelling!”

As with all Seventh Star Press novels, the books will feature interior artwork, with covers and illustrations being done by acclaimed fantasy/horror artist Matthew Perry. His artwork appears in other Seventh Star Press releases from Jackie Gamber, H.David Blalock, Stephen Shrewsbury, and Stephen Zimmer.

"This has been an epic story that I have been passionate about for a long time, an idea that would not let go of my brain, it just kept growing, and growing, demanding that I start writing it all down,” Michael said in regards to the upcoming series. “I've talked about wanting to do this series for years, and my faithful readers kept asking me, 'When are you going to do that? When is it coming out?' Well, I'm happy to say that the answer is now, and I am so pleased that Seventh Star Press has given me the opportunity to finally make this dark, horrific, fantastical dream a reality."

In Poseidon's Children, man no longer worships the old gods; forgotten and forsaken, they have become nothing more than myth and legend. But all that is about to change. After the ruins of a vast, ancient civilization are discovered on the ocean floor, Coast Guard officers find a series of derelict ships drifting in the current--high-priced yachts and leaking fishing boats, all ransacked, splattered in blood, their crews missing and presumed dead.

And that's just the beginning.

Vacationing artist Larry Neuhaus has just witnessed a gruesome shark attack, a young couple torn apart right before his eyes ... at least, he thinks it was a shark. And when one of these victims turns out to be the only son of Roger Hays, the most powerful man in the country, things go from bad to worse. Now, to stop the carnage,Larry and his new-found friends must work together to unravel a mystery as old as time, and face an enemy as dark as the ocean depths.

Michael West is a fast rising force in the speculative fiction world. His work includes novels such as The Wide Game (Graveside Tales), Cinema of Shadows (Seventh Star Press) and a single author collection, Skull Full of Kisses (Graveside Tales). He also has an array of short fiction published, spanning many magazines and anthologies, including appearances in Shroud Magazine, and the Apex Science Fiction and Horror Digest.

Amanda DeBord will be handling editing duties on Poseidon's Children and the other three Legacy of the Gods titles.

"Seventh Star Press is simply amazing to work with,” Michael commented. “They know good fiction, put out hardcover, paperback, and eBook editions of the highest quality, and they support their authors and releases more than any other publisher in the business. I could not be happier to be working with them on my Harmony, Indiana books and now the Legacy series."

The projected release date window for Poseidon's Children is March of 2012, with versions released in limited hardcover, trade paperback, and several eBook formats, such Kindle, iPad, the Nook, and Sony/Sony compatible eBook reading devices. The second novel is slated for spring of 2013, with other titles to follow on an annual basis.

Updates and additional information can be obtained at the official site for Seventh Star Press, at www.seventhstarpress.com, or at the author's site, www.bymichaelwest.com"


No more today, see you next week ......


Blogosphere

Hey, I'm Bona Fide. I just came back from my last foray through the blogosphere. What can you expect from me? I tell you: Everything from Art to Fart as long as there is any faint connection to books. And here is some honey from the beehive blogosphere...
Sometimes I'm surprised about what authors do beside writing. This time I talk about author Sabine Atkins.

Varangian: The Stone of Babylon (eBook , September 2011)
and don't miss

She is also a talented singer as you can hear in the following video.



Do you know that one of the best websites about Victorian London celebrated the 10th birthday? I'm sure that in case you are interested in Victorian London you know the Victorian London site as good as your vest pocket. If you don't know the site I highly recommend to visit. And if you would like to get more information about what happened on the mentioned site You should read Ten Years over at The Cat's Meat Shop.



That's it for today. Come back next week for more ......

Movies

Hey, it's me Fide. I'm a remote control professional. I'm that fast that I can watch two movies at the same time.
But don't worry. All the stuff I present to you will be shown at normal speed.

Last Tuesday my wife and I finally watched the Adventures of Tintin in 3D. I liked the movie a lot. There have been scenes where the whole cinema was laughing out loud. That was real entertainment. And compared to other 3D movies the effects have been done well.

Snow White. Two magic words. Two words which could be a synonym for fairy tale. I think one of the brest known versions is the one collected by the Brothers Grimm. When I hear the words Snow White, two movies always come up in my mind. The first one is from 1937 and the second one is from 1997. They show what you can do with this fairy tale. I show you the trailers without any further comment.

1937


1997


And what will we get in 2012? Two more Snow White movies which are as different as the ones I showed you before. Have a look at following two trailers. Can you imagine which one I want to see? are you interested in one of the new Snow white movies?

Mirror, Mirror


Snow White and the Huntsman


That's all for today. See you next time....

Games

Hey, it's me ediFanoB. Against all odds I play games. Once a while I will talk about games I like.

As I told you last week, the whole family is playing SKYRIM on PC and PS3. And you won't believe it but we also talk about the game. We share knowledge about dangerous places and where you can find good weapons and so on. I is a great game with so many possibilities and freedom. In the meantime you find tons of videos over at YouTube. Today I found a nice 8 minute video about character creation. Have a look. Be sure I will return to Skyrim as soon as I have finished this post.


That's it for now. See you when I have time ....


Quotes

I 'm the Keeper of the minutes. But I don't mind when you call me Kotm. No, no. I don't explain to you how to pronounce.

I tried to find a quote which fits to all these Snow White movies. I think the following one is not the worst choice ...

"Some cupid kills with arrows, some with traps.
William Shakespeare, Much Ado About Nothing, Act III, sc. 1, Greatest English dramatist & poet (1564 - 1616)

5 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

The cover for Poseidon's Children is from the Evil Dead movies. Really!

ediFanoB said...

Alex, thank you for information. I will ask the publisher where they got the cover from.

ediFanoB said...

Alex, I searched for evil dead movie poster and the only one which shows similarities is this one.

Rosalie Skinner said...

Merry Christmas... Early christmas and your new ereader!!! SO exciting!!! Glad you can now read all your ebooks at your leasure.
*happy dancing* for you and your dear lady!!

Mark Lawrence said...

enjoy your ebook reader - I have yet to weaken, I want a book in my hand. Something I can throw at the cat if she's clawing the furniture!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...