Saturday, November 05, 2011

Edi's Weekend Wave #1145

Hello and welcome to issue #1145 of Edi's Weekend Wave.
To be honest I could repeat nearly the same words I used last week but that would be boring. The sad thing is that I have a lot of ideas and plans for the blog. That sounds good except I do not have any idea when to realize them. After a long sleep from Friday to Saturday I woke up and said to myself: "Don't look back, don't lament, lower your sights and enjoy life!!" Lots of unread books, promised reviews, unanswered mails and comments and more. And what did I do on the 66th day until end of 2011 before I started to write this post? I continued reading of two books, played Oblivion and chattered with my wife. Now I'm in a good mood,listen to music I like and let the words flow. I'm curious where and when this Weekend Wave will end. As you can see I fell asleep before I could finish the post. Nevertheless I returned to my laptop on Sunday because I know the Weekend Wave is the "heart" of my blog. And there will be no life without a heart.

ENJOY READING ....



Edi's Guidepost

The Lighthouse
News and information straight from the horse's mouth by Lighthouse keeper ediFanoB

  1. Reading progress
Books
The latest report from our shelf shop net correspondent Bona
  1. More steampunk for me
  2. Rosalie Skinner and her books
  3. Two books maybe for you and me
Blogosphere
Messages from the depths of the blogosphere by spheronaut Bona Fide
  1. Disimprovement
  2. A steampunk giveaway
Movies
Remote control junkie Fide and his zapping highlights
  1. Tintin, Tintin, Tintin

Quotes
The member of the house of quotes and a quote himself the Keeper of the minutes ( we call him Kotm) fished for you
  1. German proverbs, sayings and idioms An everlasting quote

The Lighthouse

The turn for the better. Thanks to last Saturday and Sunday when I read 299 pages. In the following five days it dropped dramatically to 146 pages. That means 29 pages per day. In sum I read 445 pages last week. Not that bad compared to the week before.

I finished

- Exiled:Winter's Curse (PDF, 2011, Museit Up Publishing) [ISBN-13: 978-1927085783] by Rosalie Skinner
Well done Rosalie! The story continues on a high level with few answers and more questions. I can't wait to read the next book


I'm

- 142 pages in The Wise Man's Fear (994 pages, trade paperback, UK 2011) [ISBN-13: 978-0575081420] by Patrick Rothfuss
Forty pages more. Better than nothing. It is a great read.


- 173 pages in The Passage (pb, US 2011) [ISBN-13: 978-0345525222] by Justin Cronin
To be honest I'm disappointed. So far only two passages which I found really interesting.
I will read up to page 218 (quarter of the book). Then I will finally decide whether to continue reading or not.

- 170 pages in Theft of Swords (pb, November 23rd 2011) [ISBN-13: 978-0316187747] by Michael J. Sullivan
Keep in mind that I read 170 pages till last Friday. Now I'm on page 230 and I expect to finish the first book of the omnibus - The Crown Conspiracy - by Sunday evening. I love the story. I love the characters. When I read it I totally loose contact to the world around me. That is epic fantasy I like!

- 141 pages in The Metalmark Contract (pb, March 2011) [ISBN-13: 978-1612960111] by David Batchelor (I read a PDF copy)
A first contact sf novel. So far an interesting read. The reactions and actions of the Earthlings are not unexpected.



Enjoy your weekend ....


Books

Dear readers, I'm the one to tell you about books - only books? What about novellas and other stuff? My name is Bona. I scour shelves, shops and the net for books. If you call me a book whore I would not gainsay you. But be aware I have my own, sometimes elusive taste.

Last week I received one book which I ordered in advance. It is the first in a new series and it is steampunk. I talk about The Doomsday Vault (pb, November 2011) [ISBN-13: 978-0451464293] by Steven Harper.
"In a Britannia of clockwork automatons and airships, Alice Michaels’s prospects are looking grim.
The Honorable Alice B. Michaels is in a life or death struggle for survival—socially speaking, that is. At age twenty-one, her unladylike interest in automatons, and the unfortunate deaths of most of her family from the clockwork plague have sealed her fate as a less than desirable marriage prospect. But a series of strange occurrences is about to lead Alice in a direction quite beyond the pale.
High above the earth on the American airship USS Juniper, Gavin Ennock lives for the wind and the sky and his fiddle. After privateers attack the Juniper, he is stranded on the dank, dirty, and merciless streets of London. When Alice’s estranged aunt leaves her a peculiar inheritance, she encounters Gavin under most unusual—even shocking—circumstances.
Then Alice’s inheritance attracts the attention of the Third Ward, a clandestine organization that seizes the inventions of mad geniuses the plague leaves behind—all for the good of the Empire. But even the Third Ward has secrets. And when Alice and Gavin discover them, a choice must be made between the world and the Empire, no matter the risk to all they hold dear." [Back of the book]
For more information visit the Clockwork Empire Facebook page and read The Clockwork Author: An Interview with Steven Harper over at Friskbiskit.


In the last issue of the I talked about book confusion. Author Rosalie Skinner wrote in the comments section of the post:
"Edi, The confusion with Amazon is truly amazing.
I know my second book has been out for over a month now, and hasn't appeared on either UK or USA Amazon. I don't understand. It was delivered to them by the publisher and they haven't placed it yet. Meanwhile I am getting people buying the paperback book with a similar title. I worry they expect the newly published book. Nothing I can do about it. Except scratch my head and frown."
The only thing I can do for Rosalie is to spread word about her books and where you can get them.

On September 21st I reviewed Exiled:Autumn's Peril (eBook, September 2011, MuseItUp Publishing. ) by Rosalie Skinner which is the first book in The Chronicles of Caleath series.:


Exiled:Autumn's Peril (eBook , September 2011)
[Kindle ASIN: B005JU9840] [Smashwords] [MuseItUp Publishing]

Last week I finished reading of the second book in the series: Exiled:Winter's Curse (eBook, October 2011, MuseItUp Publishing). The review is in progress. So far I can say the story continues on the high level from book one.


Exiled:Winter's Curse (eBook, October 2011)

In case you would like to buy a copy please use the links under the covers.
Dear Rosalie, at least the readers of my blog know where to buy your books.


Today I would like to present you two books which maybe interesting for you.

A few days ago I received a mail from Phillip Rhodes. He wrote:
"I’m writing to kindly ask if you can review, recommend or simply plug my new Science Fiction eBook The Lost Diaries of John Smith (eBook, October 2011) [Amazon.co.uk, Amazon.com, Smashwords]." And he attached a copy of his book in different formats.
To be honest I understand such kind of requests and after reading the description I found the book worth to spread word about it. I'm also sure I will give it a try. But I can't promise when.
As you all know I have a review back log. Therefore I told the author that I can and will spread word about The Lost Diaries of John Smith and I can't promise more. Now have a look at the cover and read the description in order to build up your mind.
"“Imagine the world ending as told 20 years after the event. The Lost Diaries of John Smith was written by Amy Cooper on an old typewriter in 2035. She was born in 2010 and survived a devastating firestorm that killed countless millions in 2014. This is her story. Her prose is first hand and accompanies the lost diaries of the man who saved her life. The Lost Diaries of John Smith is acknowledged to be the best written account of survival in a post-apocalyptic Scotland. It also highlights the secretive mining operations by both man and alien.”
The premise behind The Lost Diaries of John Smith is that on the morning of 14th May 2014 most of Europe and North Africa will be consumed by a massive firestorm that kills countless millions and changed humanity forever. Scotland survives the conflagration, but food becomes scarce and starvation beckons. At first many think the UK was devastated by a massive, pre-emptive nuclear attack, but weeks later and survivors start to report seeing large flying objects over Southern Scotland and Northern England." [Source]

And I do it again. I like Stephen Zimmer who is one of the authors of Seventh Star Press a lot.
So every time he comes up with new books I try to help to spread word.
Please note that following part of this post is the official press release:

D.A. Adam's The Fall of Dorkhun, Book Three of the Brotherhood of Dwarves Series, Unveiled with Limited Edition Hardcover Offer

Seventh Star Press proudly announces The Fall of Dorkhun, Book Three of the Brotherhood of Dwarves series by D.A. Adams.

The Fall of Dorkhun is now available for pre-order in both limited edition hardcover and softcover versions, both of which include special packages of collectibles. The limited edition hardcover run of 75 signed and numbered copies marks the newest addition to a growing line of affordable, high quality hardcover editions published by Seventh Star Press. The limited edition hardcover features an exclusive illustration commission not found in any other version, as well as a special signature page and unique ISBN number.

The Fall of Dorkhun also marks the debut of Seventh Star Press' newest artist, Bonnie Wasson. Bonnie created the cover art and illustrations for The Fall of Dorkhun, as well as for the forthcoming reissues of book one and book two in the series, The Brotherhood of Dwarves, and Red Skies at Dawn. She joins Matthew Perry in producing some of the finest quality presentations in the small press world, creating an exciting and fast-growing collection of speculative fiction artwork in the process.

(two of the interior illustrations by Bonnie Wasson for The Fall of Dorkhun)

The Fall of Dorkuhn continues the story of the dwarf Roskin. In the newest adventure of the series, Roskin returns home to a kingdom divided by war with the ogres. On one side, his father desires to restore peace, but on the other, Master Sondious, seeking revenge for having been crippled, seeks to escalate aggression against the ogres Roskin and his friends make a desperate attempt to resolve the growing rift, but unknown to the dwarves, new and powerful menaces threaten to destroy the entire kingdom...

Living and working in East Tennessee, D. A. Adams is an established novelist, a farmer, a professor of English, and has contributed writing to literary as well as fine art publications. He also maintains an active blog, entitled "The Ramblings of D. A. Adams".

Limited edition hardcover and special softcover collectors packages include an assortment of collectible extras, such as a 14X20 art poster, bookmarks, a set of glossy art cards, a magnet, and a pair of buttons. Packages are scheduled to be shipped the second week of December, when the trade paperback will be made available everywhere, along with several eBook formats, including the Kindle, iPad, Nook, and Sony eReaders and other electronic reading devices.

The Fall of Dorkhun was edited by Philip Hopkins. Book One, The Brotherhood of Dwarves, and Book Two, Red Skies at Dawn, will be reissued by the end of 2011, with two more books remaining in the series.

Those wanting to reserve one of the 75 limited edition hardcovers, or pre-order a softcover collectors package, should visit Seventh Star Press' online store at http://www.seventhstarpress.com/documents/books.html


It sounds interesting for me. And I especially like that Seventh Star Press reissue book one and two. As a reader of series I do not like to start with a book from the middle.


No more today, see you next week ......

Blogosphere

Hey, I'm Bona Fide. I just came back from my last foray through the blogosphere. What can you expect from me? I tell you: Everything from Art to Fart as long as there is any faint connection to books. And here is some honey from the beehive blogosphere...

In Germany we have this lovely word VERSCHLIMMBESSERUNG which you may know as DISIMPROVEMENT. It is the best description I found for the new Google Reader. Every time when I open my Google ReaderI feel like I enter a cemetery with blurry contours. I like gray characters in a book but no gray sites. And not to mention a few other things.


Once a while I inform you about international giveaways. Today I show one for all steampunk interested readers. The only thing you have to do is to leave a comment.

In May 2011 I reviewed The Falling Machine (278 p. May 2011)[ISBN-13: 978-1616143756] by Andrew P. Mayer which is the first book of The Society of Steam duology.

"In 1880 women aren’t allowed to vote, much less dress up in a costume and fight crime...
But twenty-year-old socialite Sarah Stanton still dreams of becoming a hero. Her opportunity arrives in tragedy when the leader of the Society of Paragons, New York’s greatest team of gentlemen adventurers, is murdered right before her eyes. To uncover the truth behind the assassination, Sarah joins forces with the amazing mechanical man known as The Automaton. Together they unmask a conspiracy at the heart of the Paragons that reveals the world of heroes and high-society is built on a crumbling foundation of greed and lies. When Sarah comes face to face with the megalomaniacal villain behind the murder, she must discover if she has the courage to sacrifice her life of privilege and save her clockwork friend.
The Falling Machine (The Society of Steam, Book One) takes place in a Victorian New York powered by the discovery of Fortified Steam, a substance that allows ordinary men to wield extraordinary abilities and grants powers that can corrupt gentlemen of great moral strength. The secret behind this amazing substance is something that wicked brutes will gladly kill for and one that Sarah must try and protect, no matter what the cost. " [Source]
Now the second book Hearts of Smoke and Steam (327 p., November 2011)[ISBN-13: 978-1616143756] is on the way to the book stores..
"Sir Dennis Darby has been murdered, the Automaton has been destroyed, and Sarah Stanton has turned her back on a life of privilege and comfort to try and find her way in the unforgiving streets of New York. But Lord Eschaton, the villain behind all these events, isn’t finished with her yet. His plans to bring his apocalyptic vision of the future to the world are moving forward, but to complete his scheme he needs the clockwork heart that Sarah still holds.

But she has her own plans for the Automaton’s clockwork heart—Sarah is trying to rebuild her mechanical friend, and when she is attacked by the Children of Eschaton, the man who comes to her rescue may be the one to make her dreams come true. Emelio Armando is a genius inventor who had hoped to leave his troubles behind when he and his sister left Italy for a life of anonymity in the New World. Now he finds himself falling in love with the fallen society girl, but he is rapidly discovering just how powerful the forces of villainy aligned against her are, and that fulfilling her desires means opening the door to a world of danger that could destroy everything he has built.

The Society of Steam takes place in a Victorian New York powered by the discovery of Fortified Steam, a substance that allows ordinary men to wield extraordinary abilities and grants powers that can corrupt gentlemen of great moral strength. The secret behind this amazing substance is something that wicked brutes will gladly kill for, and one that Sarah must try and protect, no matter what the cost." [Source]
You would like to win both books? Then go to

Fingers crossed for all participants!

That's it for today. Come back next week for more ......

Movies

Hey, it's me Fide. I'm a remote control professional. I'm that fast that I can watch two movies at the same time.
But don't worry. All the stuff I present to you will be shown at normal speed.

On next Tuesday my wife and I will go to cinema and watch the Adventures of Tintin in 3D.
As I showed you the trailer sometime ago I did not to show it again. But I found something incredible and worth to show you.
"The full trailer for the new Tintin movie, with all footage replaced with clips from the 1990s cartoon series.

Original trailer audio is still present.

This took a good while to do! But I'm farly pleased with the results. Footage is from 'The Crab With The Golden Claws', 'The Secret Of The Unicorn' and 'Red Rackhams Treasure'. Can't wait for the movie!"
Watch the result!


As you could read in the text above, the new movie is based on three Tintin adventures. Maybe you would like to see the cartoon series version of The Secret of the Unicorn then you should follow the following links. Each part last around ten minutes.

Tintin - The Secret of the Unicorn (Part 1/4)

Tintin - The Secret of the Unicorn (Part 2/4)

Tintin - The Secret of the Unicorn (Part 3/4)

Tintin - The Secret of the Unicorn (Part 4/4)


That's all for today. See you next time....


Quotes

I 'm the Keeper of the minutes. But I don't mind when you call me Kotm. No, no. I don't explain to you how to pronounce.

From time to time I find quotes which are many year old but they still fit. The following one is a good example for that .....

"A person has three choices in life. You can swim against the tide and get exhausted, or you can tread water and let the tide sweep you away, or you can swim with the tide, and let it take you where it wants you to go.
Diane Frolov and Andrew Schneider, Northern Exposure, Northern Lights, 1993

7 comments:

Nic said...

Hi Edi,

nice quote from Kotm, but also a very sad one. It doesn't matter what you do, trying to reach your wish will wear someone out...or you follow the herd and it also wears you down...

Thanks for the link to the giveaway. You recommended this books per mail to me some time ago, so I will participate on this one...

Is Cronins' "The passage" really that disappointing? I have it lying here (in my to read pile)...and now I am considering to move it to the end of the "row"...

Topic Steampunk: As I know that you are a huge fan of the genre I recommend to you SM Stirlings' "The Peshawar Lancers" (ISBN-13: 978-0451458735) to you!

Nic

Rosalie Skinner said...

Hi Edi,
Thanks for mentioning the links to my books. I do appreciate your support. Glad you are enjoying reading them too. :) Will let you know when the confusion with Amazon is sorted.

Love Tin Tin.. takes me back in time.
Thanks for sharing the links.

One day I will venture into the world of Steampunk.

Meanwhile, I will go back to swimming against the tide, treading water and occassionally being swept along with the tide. ;)
I am tired, just thinking about it.
Rosalie

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Someone had fun putting those trailers together.
And some nice cover art on the featured books this week.

Nic said...

Hi Edi,

short Info for you:

Around the corner at Graemes place, there is a nice post from Michael J. Sullivan

ediFanoB said...

Hi Rosalie,

steampunk is a world on its own.
I would like to have more time to write reviews.

I own copies of most of the Tintin graphic novels. They are always worth to read them again.

And I'm tired too after a 12 hour working day.

ediFanoB said...

Hi Nic,

thanks for the link. Greame's blog is part of my Google Reader. I left a comment over there which will be visible after the blog owner approval.

ediFanoB said...

Hi Alex,

fans do a lot of things. It was a lot of work to put together all the scenes.
But the result is worth to watch.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...