Saturday, October 29, 2011

Edi's Weekend Wave #1144

Hello and welcome to issue #1144 of Edi's Weekend Wave.
Last week I spent most of my time either working or sleeping. To be honest, that is not satisfying. Before I started to write his post I visited several book blogs. It seems I'm not the only one who struggles to find time for reading and blogging as I could read on other blogs. Anyway I'm glad I found time to prepare this post after my wife and I returned from the visit of a craft fair (Crafts, decorations, fabrics, fashion jewelry and beads, candles, teddy bears & dolls, ceramics, wool, patchwork and more). Fingers crossed I do not fall asleep before finishing the post.

ENJOY READING ....



Edi's Guidepost

The Lighthouse
News and information straight from the horse's mouth by Lighthouse keeper ediFanoB

  1. Reading progress
  2. Dreams, plans, reality
Books
The latest report from our shelf shop net correspondent Bona
  1. Pre-order, cancellation, confusion
  2. Maybe a book for you
Blogosphere
Messages from the depths of the blogosphere by spheronaut Bona Fide
  1. Another kind of book trailer
  2. Harry Lytle
Movies
Remote control junkie Fide and his zapping highlights
  1. Hugo

Quotes
The member of the house of quotes and a quote himself the Keeper of the minutes ( we call him Kotm) fished for you
  1. German proverbs, sayings and idioms An everlasting quote

The Lighthouse

My reading progress dropped dramatically. I read only 252 pages! But I could finish at least one book. o be honest I do not really remember how I managed to read 509 pages. My wife got angry with me because I dropped the book I tried to read quite often. That happened nearly every evening. And I can't count how often I fell asleep while reading a PDF on my laptop. To write reviews was beyond my power.

I finished

Veteran (pb, 2011) [ISBN-13: 978-0575094116] by Gavin Smith
The was not satisfying for me. Beside that I liked the discussion which seemed to last endlessly and without real result.


I'm

- 102 pages in The Wise Man's Fear (994 pages, trade paperback, UK 2011) [ISBN-13: 978-0575081420] by Patrick Rothfuss
NO PROGRESS!!

- 117 pages Exiled:Winter's Curse (PDF, 2011, Museit Up Publishing) [ISBN-13: 978-1927085783] by Rosalie Skinner
I wish I would have an e-reader. It does not make fun to read books on my laptop after more then ten hours of programming. I wanted to finish and review the book before release date of the next book in the series. No reasonable chance ......


- 108 pages in The Passage (pb, US 2011) [ISBN-13: 978-0345525222] by Justin Cronin


- 98 pages in Theft of Swords (pb, November 23rd 2011) [ISBN-13: 978-0316187747] by Michael J. Sullivan
Yes, indeed I received a copy!!!! Read the full story below. And yes, it is great!! I woke up very early this morning and started to read until my wife and I left for the visit of a craft fair.


When I started reading Theft of Swords, my Picks for rest of 2011 post came up in my mind. It was a great book list but facing reality I must say I was a dream, a wonderful dream. Goodbye picks. Hope to meet you in 2012. I'm not desperate but I'm disappointed. Of course I have dreams and plans concerning reading and reviewing. But in the past weeks first writing reviews got left in the dust. Now reading is on the edge. What will follow next? My blog? I don't know. I have had a good time in summer. Maybe I should forget autumn and look forward to winter.

Next thing I will do is to update my reading list for the rest of 2011. And of course I have to work on my review schedule.


Enjoy your weekend ....


Books

Dear readers, I'm the one to tell you about books - only books? What about novellas and other stuff? My name is Bona. I scour shelves, shops and the net for books. If you call me a book whore I would not gainsay you. But be aware I have my own, sometimes elusive taste.

This week I received the copy of a book which I expected to be published next month. It is a book which I highly expected. I will show you the book and then I need you to tell a story which I do not really understand.
I belong to the people who read with great pleasure that Michael J. Sullivan signed a contract with Orbit who will publish all the books in the series in the Riyria Revelations series in three omnibus and they will do it in three consecutive month starting in November 2011.
Of course I ordered all three books in advance.
Last Sunday I received a mail from Amazon.de saying that
Theft of Swords (pb, November 23rd 2011) [ISBN-13: 978-0316187747] by Michael J. Sullivan is no more longer available and therefore my order has been canceled!! To be honest i cold not understand it. I visited Amazon and found out that the book is now available with another ISBN and a new cover: Theft of Swords (pb, November 3rd 2011) [ISBN-13: 978-0356501062] by Michael J. Sullivan. As I definitely want this book I ordered the one with the new ISBN. To my surprise it has been delivered three days ago!!! I know Amazon does not have any influence on publishing dates. So what did Orbit and what did Amazon.de?
It is fact, that I first ordered the US edition of Theft of Swords. This version has been replaced by the UK edition at Amazon.de.
I compared Amazon.de, Amazon.co.uk and Amazon.com Theft of Swords offers. All three offer a kindle version with UK cover. So nobody knows if the kindle version is the UK or the US edition.
GREAT!! Book wise you can order the UK edition at Amazon.de and Amazon.co.uk and the US edition at Amazon.com. But the US edition will be published on November 23d and the UK edition is available.
I don't know who is responsible for this confusion, Orbit or Amazon.de. Anyway it is not very customer friendly. I don't know if many readers who ordered the book in advance do all the research I did. Maybe neither Orbit nor Amazon.de are interested in to sell copies. Poor Michael J. Sullivan. And I can tell you the stories continues with book two and three.

So all potential buyer and reader of the omnibus edition of the Riyria Revelations series on both sides of the pond, if you plan to buy the books at Amazon please check site information carefully.

I will buy all the UK edition as soon as the books will be available.

Finally I would like to show you the US and the UK cover and the blurbs of Theft of Swords. You will easily find out that the UK cover is a part of the US cover. To be honest why need the paperback two different covers whereas the kindle edition has no different cover. Is it possible that there are no big differences between US and UK edition?

UK Edition
Theft of Swords (pb, November 3rd 2011) [ISBN-13: 978-0356501062] by Michael J. Sullivan.
"THEY KILLED THE KING.
THEY PINNED IT ON TWO MEN.
THEY MADE A BAD DECISION …

Royce Melborn is a superb thief, his partner, Hadrian Blackwater is a skilled mercenary. Together they make a profitable living as agents-for-hire to wealthy nobles until someone sets them up to take the blame for the murder of the king.

Captured and sentenced to death the two are saved by an unlikely woman with a simple demand that will change the lives of the thieves, the course of a kingdom, and the foundation of an empire." [Source]

US Edition
Theft of Swords (pb, November 23rd 2011) [ISBN-13: 978-0316187747] by Michael J. Sullivan
"Royce Melborn, a skilled thief, and his mercenary partner, Hadrian Blackwater, make a profitable living carrying out dangerous assignments for conspiring nobles-until they are hired to pilfer a famed sword. What appears to be just a simple job finds them framed for the murder of the king and trapped in a conspiracy that uncovers a plot far greater than the mere overthrow of a tiny kingdom. Can a self-serving thief and an idealistic swordsman survive long enough to unravel the first part of an ancient mystery that has toppled kings and destroyed empires in order to keep a secret too terrible for the world to know? And so begins the first tale of treachery and adventure, sword fighting and magic, myth and legend." [Source]

Regularly readers will know that I have a special relationship to Stephen Zimmer who is one of the authors of Seventh Star Press. Today I help to spread word about a new book in a specialand limited edition. please note that following part of this post is the official press release

"For Immediate Release
October 25, 2011
H. David Blalock's Angelkiller Unleashes New Urban Fantasy Series With Limited Edition Hardcover Offer
Seventh Star Press proudly unveils the cover art and pre-order windows for the limited hardcover and softcover editions of Angelkiller, book one of a provacative new urban fantasy series by H. David Blalock.

With only 75 limited edition hardcovers to be issued, Angelkiller continues the Seventh Star Press tradition of producing one of the best value limited hardcover editions available anywhere. The limited edition hardcover edition includes an exclusive illustration not found in any other version. The artist for the book and series is Matthew Perry, whose artwork can be found in other Seventh Star Press titles from Jackie Gamber, Steven Shrewsbury, Michael West, and Stephen Zimmer.

Angelkiller introduces Jonah Mason, the oldest, and most experienced of the Angelkillers, an elite force in the Army of Light. They are fighting an ancient war, one in which the Darkness achieved a great triumph long ago that has had profound influence on the fabric of life as we know it. It is the simple answer as to why bad things happen to good people. The great battle may have been lost, but the war continues in a modern age, pitting Jonah against the Enemy in a way even he had never faced. A provocative mixture of the supernatural and technological, Angelkiller is a very special, thought-provoking tale, one that shines forth in the upper realms of urban fantasy literature.

Based out of the Memphis area, H. David Blalock has an impressive writing career of 35 years and counting that has achieved numerous publishing credits in print and online mediums. He is most known for his fantasy novel Ascendant (Sam's Dot Publishing), which was the basis for a twenty minute short film produced in 2010 that featured former WWE wrestler Al Snow. The sequel to Ascendant, Emperor (Sam's Dot Publishing), was released in March of 2011. David is also the founder of Imagicopter, an author-driven organization that creates an array of event opportunities for small press authors and artists, while also publishing the highly-regarded Imagyro magazine.

The limited edition hardcover and special softcover collectors packages include an assortment of collectible extras, such as a 14X20 art poster, bookmarks, a set of glossy art cards, an Angelkiller magnet, and a pair of Angelkiller buttons. They are scheduled to be shipped the first week of December, when the trade paperback will be made available everywhere, along with several eBook formats, including the Kindle, iPad, Nook, and Sony eReaders and other electronic reading devices.


Angelkiller was edited by Amanda DeBord. Book 2, Traitor Angel, and Book 3, Doom Angel, will be released over the course of 2012 and early 2013.

Those wanting to reserve one of the 75 limited edition hardcovers, or pre-order a softcover collectors package, should visit Seventh Star Press' online store at http://www.seventhstarpress.com/documents/books.html

Updates and additional information can be obtained at the official site for Seventh Star Press, at www.seventhstarpress.com , or at the author's site at www.thrankeep.com"



No more today, see you next week ......

Blogosphere

Hey, I'm Bona Fide. I just came back from my last foray through the blogosphere. What can you expect from me? I tell you: Everything from Art to Fart as long as there is any faint connection to books. And here is some honey from the beehive blogosphere...

Last month I posted about The Burning Sky by Joseph Robert Lewis which is the first book in the completely available Halcyon Trilogy.
"When the brilliant young engineer Taziri Ohana survives a devastating attack on the Air Corps, she is the only pilot left to chase the criminals responsible across the skies of Morocco. While helping the police to investigate, Taziri uncovers a vast conspiracy of deposed aristocrats and wealthy industrialists plotting to overthrow the Queen and plunge the country into war.
With assassins stalking the streets and riots on every street corner, Taziri quickly learns to defend herself as only an engineer can – by inventing electrical tools and weapons from whatever is at hand! But the country’s only hope for survival may be a visiting Incan princess, a dashing Spanish fencer, and Taziri’s airship Halcyon plummeting out of the burning sky." [Source]
I own an electronic copy and I hope we will get our e-reader soon.
But that is not the reason why I talk again about this book. You know that there are several ways to spread word about a book. Book trailers is one opportunity. There are good ones and bad ones.
Today I would like to show you a different one. What do you think about Joseph Robert Lewis' idea and execution?

Did the video arouse your interest?
By the way Joseph Robert Lewis is author of more books which you can find on his blog.


Do you know Harry Lytle? He is the main character in The Chronicles of Harry Lytle series by Paul Lawrence. So far two books have been released. I read and reviewed them both:
The Sweet Smell of Decay (2009, 448 p.) [ISBN-13: 978-1905636426] Review and
A Plague of Sinners (2010, 448 p.) [ISBN-13: 978-1905636914] Review .
I liked both books a lot and therefore I was really happy when Paul Lawrence mentioned in August 2011 that the third novel will be published soon. Today I noticed following entry on the Harry Lytle site:

"11th October 2011
And on this day it came to pass that Beautiful Books went into administration. Sad news for many - and my sympathy to anyone who may have lost their job as a result.
In the meantime the Harry Lytle Chronicles are looking for a new home. Interested publishers should contact Tara Wynne at Curtis Brown."
Absolutely sad news for all Harry Lytle fans. But there is hope. Last Friday (October 28th) Paul Lawrence posted on Facebook:
"Dear all - apologies for not posting over last couple of weeks! I'll get back to the end of Titus' story over the weekend. In the meantime BEAUTIFUL BOOKS, who publish the Harry Lytles Chronicles have gone into administration. Another victim of tough conditions in the UK publishing market. This means that we will need to find a new publisher before being able to make the 3rd Chronicle available to all! The 4th Chronicle is also well underway, with lots happening in the world of Harry, Davy and Jane. Watch this space."
I want to read more Harry Lytle stories and therefore I hope Paul Lawrence will find a new publisher soon. Fingers crossed and good luck!

In the meantime visit the official Harry Lytle site where you can find interesting stuff regarding English history. And the good thing is that Paul Lawrence adds constantly new content.


That's it for today. Come back next week for more ......

Movies

Hey, it's me Fide. I'm a remote control professional. I'm that fast that I can watch two movies at the same time.
But don't worry. All the stuff I present to you will be shown at normal speed.

Sometimes it takes a while until a movie will find the way to cinemas in Europe. Hugo will hit cinemas in US on November 23rd 2011. In Germany we have to wait until February 9th 2012. Now the second trailer is available.
"Set in 1930s Paris, an orphan who lives in the walls of a train station is wrapped up in a mystery involving his late father and an automaton. " [Source]



That's all for today. See you next time....


Quotes

I 'm the Keeper of the minutes. But I don't mind when you call me Kotm. No, no. I don't explain to you how to pronounce.

From time to time I find quotes which are many year old but they still fit. The following one is a good example for that .....

"The world is moving so fast these days that the man who says it can't be done is generally interrupted by someone doing it
Harry Emerson Fosdick, US clergyman (1878 - 1969)

6 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Don't give up on the blog yet!
November is NaNo, so there will be a lot less people blogging. That should help you a little.
I'm still kicking around ideas for a third book. Really hope something strikes and then I have time to write it!
Saw the preview for Hugo before Puss in Boots last night. Looks really unique.

ediFanoB said...

Dear Alex,
seems I was not in the best mood when I wrote my post. Don't worry. Le me talk in pictures.
Work = Borg and I feel like a member of the Enterprise.

The original message:
"We are the Borg. Lower your shields and surrender your ships. We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own.. Your culture will adapt to service us. Resistance is futile."

Be sure I will resist.

Rosalie Skinner said...

Edi, The confusion with Amazon is truly amazing.
I know my second book has been out for over a month now, and hasn't appeared on either UK or USA Amazon. I don't understand. It was delivered to them by the publisher and they haven't placed it yet. Meanwhile I am getting people buying the paperback book with a similar title. I worry they expect the newly published book. Nothing I can do about it. Except scratch my head and frown.

Christmas and ereader is approaching. Won't be too soon hey!!

Another great blog post, lots of info and even when you are exhausted you manage to make your blog interesting and informative.

Nic said...

Evening Edi,

it seems that November is really a bad time to be creative...I'm also struggling with preparations for my weekly rpg session on the weekend, with learning for my business economist class, and with the theoretical final thesis for the same class...arghh

Just hang in there...hard times have to be overcome!!! ;-)

How is "Theft of Swords"? I am reading quite a bit about Sullivans' series in the last few months, and wanted to wait 'till Orbit published the omnibus version of his books. Is it possible for you to compare him to an author (after just reading about 100 pages)?
I am still thinking about buying the first book, but the federales are a bit slow at working on my BAfög proposition ...I will even have to wait with ordering "Fall of Thanes" by B. Ruckley (just finished Bloodheir). 2nd arghh today...

So have a nice weekend, and keep going!!! ;-)

ediFanoB said...

Dear Rosalie,

thanks for your kind words. It is a crazy time with a lot of dead lines.

In order to support you a bit I posted information about your two books in the latest issue of the Weekend Wave.

I finished Exiled: Winter's Curse last week. And it is another great read. I will write a review as soon as possible.

ediFanoB said...

Hi Nic,

thanks for stopping by. October and November are incredible months concerning work. I don't know why everything must be finished within these two months. It is crazy.

I love THEFT OF SWORDS. In the meantime I finished the the first book withing the omnibus. It is definitely on of the best traditional epic fantasy series you can get.
It is neither dark and gritty like Abercrombie nor as debauched as Tolkien.
You can easily find out if you like Michael J. Sullivan or not. Just read THE VISCOUNT AND THE WITCH which is a short story. For details check issue #1142.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...