Saturday, October 15, 2011

Edi's Weekend Wave #1142

Hello and welcome to issue #1142 of Edi's Weekend Wave.
Today my wife and I visit the Frankfurt Book Fair 2011. That means I prepared this post on Friday evening. That was a real challenge because on Friday evening I mostly hit rock bottom of the week which means I fall asleep quite early. I do not tell you how often my forehead hit the keyboard. So please be a bit clement with me. And now

ENJOY READING ....

Edi's Guidepost

The Lighthouse
News and information straight from the horse's mouth by Lighthouse keeper ediFanoB

  1. Reading progress
Books
The latest report from our shelf shop net correspondent Bona
  1. Unexpected but welcomed review copy
  2. Riyria Revelations
  3. Lynn Flewelling
  4. Cover change
Blogosphere
Messages from the depths of the blogosphere by spheronaut Bona Fide
  1. A middle of the week post and the aftermath
  2. The Pay it Forward blogfest
  3. Weather Forecast
  4. Smell
  5. Power Strips
  6. Joseph Robert Lewis
  7. Dirty Books
Movies
Remote control junkie Fide and his zapping highlights
  1. TinTin

Quotes
The member of the house of quotes and a quote himself the Keeper of the minutes ( we call him Kotm) fished for you
  1. German proverbs, sayings and idioms Kotm goes philosophical

The Lighthouse

Last week was a mess concerning reading. Nearly every evening I fell asleep with a book in my hand and there have been two days where I did not read a single page. That makes me sad and angry at the same time. In sum I read only 358 pages!! That means I missed my reading target by 132 pages. And I'm afraid that will continue the following three weeks. We will see.

I'm

- 122 pages in The Hero always wins Robert Eaton (PDF)
Some Surprises. Not sure where it will end.

- 109 pages in Veteran (pb, 2011) [ISBN-13: 978-0575094116] by Gavin Smith
Tough story. Quite different compared to the SF books I read so far in 2011. It does
not happen often that a main character is older than I am.

- 51 pages in The Wise Man's Fear (994 pages, trade paperback, UK 2011) [ISBN-13: 978-0575081420] by Patrick Rothfuss
What shall I say? Excellent.

- 62 pages Exiled:Winter's Curse (PDF, 2011, Museit Up Publishing) [ISBN-13: 978-1927085783] by Rosalie Skinner
The book follows seamlessly Exiled:Autumn's Peril.


Enjoy your weekend ....


Books

Dear readers, I'm the one to tell you about books - only books? What about novellas and other stuff? My name is Bona. I scour shelves, shops and the net for books. If you call me a book whore I would not gainsay you. But be aware I have my own, sometimes elusive taste.


While I do not find much time for reading I still receive books. Every delivery from Tor/Forge.com is like a lucky bag for me. Today they surprised me with a review copy of the second book in a series. I appreciate author Blake Charlton a lot. A big thank you goes to for sending me a copy of Spellbound (hc, September 2011) [ISBN-13: 978-0765317285] .
"In a world where one’s magical prowess is determined by one’s skill with words and ability to spell, Nicodemus is a wizardly apprentice afflicted by a curse that causes him to misspell magical texts. Now, the demon who cursed him has hatched a conspiracy to force Nicodemus to change language and ultimately use it to destroy all human life. As Nico tries to thwart the demon’s plan, he faces challenges from all sides. But his biggest challenge is his own disability, which causes him to create chaos wherever he goes. And the chaos surrounding Nico is affecting the world so profoundly that the kingdom to which he has fled to gather strength is on the brink of civil war, and he suspects that his closest allies—even Francesca, whom he loves more than life itself—may be subject to the demon’s vast powers. As Nico tries to forestall the apocalypse, he realizes that he doesn’t know if he can fully trust anyone, not even the woman he loves. And if he makes one wrong move, not only will his life be forfeit, he may end up destroying all mortal life as well." [Source]
Yes, I really want to read it as much as I want to read all the unread books I own. I have some days off between Christmas and New Year ......
In case you are interested in you can read my review of Spellwright (2010).

Last week I posted about Michael J. Sullivan who is the author of the Riyria Revelations series.
I have good news for all my US readers. You can win an advanced copy of Theft of Swords (The Riyria Revelations #1-2) over at a GOODREADS GIVEAWAY. Giveaway ends November 22, 2011. That is a great opportunity to start with the series.

If you are not an US resident like me you do not need to be disappointed. Michael J. Sullivan
offers a short story which is a prequel to the Riyria Revelations. And you can get it free here!!!
(Click on the picture for further information)

Did you ever read a book by Lynn Flewelling? She is the author of two fantasy series:
Nightrunner - so far five books and a short story collection and Tamir Triad - a trilogy.
I own copies of all the books except the short story collection. In 2008 I read the first two books in the Nightrunner series. And then for whatever reason I lost track of this series until beginning of the week when I discovered that there will be a new Nightrunner book in 2012. Casket of Souls (pb, May 2012) [ISBN13: 978-0345522306].
"The Nightrunners are back in this gripping novel full of Lynn Flewelling’s trademark action, intrigue, and richly imagined characters.

More than the dissolute noblemen they appear to be, Alec and Seregil are skillful spies, dedicated to serving queen and country. But when they stumble across evidence of a plot pitting Queen Phoria against Princess Klia, the two Nightrunners will find their loyalties torn as never before. Even at the best of times, the royal court at Rhíminee is a serpents’ nest of intrigue, but with the war against Plenimar going badly, treason simmers just below the surface.

And that’s not all that poses a threat: A mysterious plague is spreading through the crowded streets of the city, striking young and old alike—a plague that may well be magical in nature. Now, as panic mounts and the body count rises, hidden secrets emerge. And as Seregil and Alec are about to learn, conspiracies and plagues have one thing in common: The cure can be as deadly as the disease." [Source]
I could not withstand and ordered a copy in advance. Anyway I plan to return to the series in May 2012. I remember that I liked Seregil and Alec a lot. I think it would be great to read several series within 2012.

Recently I reviewed Chivalry: A Jake Savage Adventure (eShort Story , September 2011) [Amazon, Smashwords]by Mark Lord.
On the left side you see the old cover and on the right side the new cover. Mark Lord explained on his blog the reasons for the change.

I think it is always difficult when you change a cover. But I liked that Mark Lord explained the reasons why the change has been done. That is something which is not naturally. Anyway I wait for the next Jake Savage story.




No more today, see you next week ......

Blogosphere

Hey, I'm Bona Fide. I just came back from my last foray through the blogosphere. What can you expect from me? I tell you: Everything from Art to Fart as long as there is any faint connection to books. And here is some honey from the beehive blogosphere...

Last Wednesday I posted the new trailer for CassaFirE (February 2012) [ISBN-13: 978-0982713945] which is the second book by Alex J. Cavanaugh. That was nothing unusual. But what followed has been unusual to me. I got more comments than usual and the number of my followers increased. Such things do not happen out of nowhere. The reason for that has a name: Alex J. Cavanaugh! He mentioned my blog in a post - a special post - on his blog:
Pay It Forward! Due to unfortunate circumstances I could not take part. But today I want to send a big thank you over to Alex J. Cavanaugh and of course to all the kind people who left a comment.
The only thing I can do now is to show you the result of the Pay It Forward Blogfest, which gives you and me the opportunity to discover new blogs. Have a look at the list but do not forget that this is not the end of this post.




Weather is a favorite topic for every conversation. But does any one talk about the weather forecast and the people behind? I found a thoughtful post about Galveston, the 1900 hurricane and the US Weather Bureau. Read Sometimes the Best Isn't Good Enough by Dr.Wendell A. Howe over at his blog. Maybe this will give you a new topic for your next conversation.


It started with black and white movies. What will be the next advantage after 3D? Smell? At first sight movies with smell seem to be promising. But do we really want that? Read London Smells over at The Cat's Meat Shop. Now I ask again. Do we really want that?


Power strips can be a nightmare and boring. Fortunately there are still some creative people on this world. And there are really people who work on power strip concepts as the WebUrbanist found out: Read Buzz Cool: 10 Shockingly Creative Power Strip Concepts and have a look at the pics.

I like to read when one author discovers the work of an other author and find similarities.
Starring Joseph Robert Lewis in the role of the discoverer and Kate Elliott in the role of the discovered one. You want details? Then read Who is this Kate Elliott person? Then you will know more and maybe you found some interesting books for your list.


When it comes up to books - I mean physical books - people are getting headstrong. What's about you? Do you prefer antiseptic books or do you have a knack for dirty books like Michelle Lovric. Read her post In Praise of Dirty Books over at The History Girls.


That's it for today. Come back next week for more ......

Movies

Hey, it's me Fide. I'm a remote control professional. I'm that fast that I can watch two movies at the same time.
But don't worry. All the stuff I present to you will be shown at normal speed.

I look forward to the upcoming Tintin movie. I found a new trailer and hope you don't mind that it is a trailer for the German market. There are scenes which I did not have seen before.



There will be a movie in 2012 with the title THE AVENGERS .....



That's all for today. See you next time....


Quotes

I 'm the Keeper of the minutes. But I don't mind when you call me Kotm. No, no. I don't explain to you how to pronounce.

Something to think about ....


"There is a great deal of difference between an eager man who wants to read a book and the tired man who wants a book to read.
G. K. Chesterton, English author & mystery novelist (1874 - 1936)

13 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Edi, you are more than welcome! You put so much effort into these weekend posts - there should be hundreds of people logging in to read them. Thanks for posting the Pay it Forward list - found some cool new blogs in that mix, including a new fantasy reviewer.
And I'm looking forward to Tintin and I'm stoked about Avengers! The cast is unbelievable.
Thanks again for your post this week. You're a good friends. And yes, I'd selected your blog to feature before that post appeared!

LisaAnn said...

Hi Edi! Just found you through Alex's list, and your site is amazing! Can't wait to read more!

ediFanoB said...

Hi LisaAnn,

thanks for stopping by. Will visit your blog soon.

Thanks for your kind words.

ediFanoB said...

Thank you Alex.

As far as I can see the Pay it Forward blogfest was a big success. I will visit all the blogs but it will take some time.

Now you need only 10 more followers ....

Some Tintin scenes reminded me of Indiana Jones.

Kittie Howard said...

Hi, Edi! I'm dropping in from Alex's blog hop. Nice to meet you. *waves* Your blog is wonderful. I'm happy to be your latest follower.

Rosalie Skinner said...

Edi that list is awesome!
Another great post and more books added to my ever increasing To Read list. Thanks!
More movies to look out for too. Sweet!
I agree with Alex, you put so much effort into these blog posts, your following will keep growing!
Now I am off to visit some of the blog hop list.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Edi, may you continue to get more appreciators! And just need five more now. Really hope it happens by Wednesday. October 19 is a special day.

ediFanoB said...

Hi Rosalie,
The credit for the blog list goes to Alex J. Cavanaugh and his awesome blogfest.

There are so many many many books.
I'm glad you found new books for your list. That is the danger of visiting book blogs :-)

You know my time is limited. When I started my blog I was thinking about the number of posts I'm able to post regularly and the result was one.
So there are blogs which post new content every day. My blog is different. With one regularly post it is more like a magazine.
It is great to see that there are people who like what I'm doing.

ediFanoB said...

Welcome Kitty Howard,
nice to meet you. It is a pleasure to meet new followers and readers.

As you have a blog too I visited your blog and now I'm your member 450.

Alex did a great job with his blogfest.

ediFanoB said...

Alex,
exciting times. To be honest I would like to have some days off in order to spend more time for visiting blogs.

You don't have to wait until Wednesday. It happened a couple of minutes ago.
1000!!!! INCREDIBLE!!! Congratulations! You deserve it.

Rosalie Skinner said...

Congratulations Alex... way to go.

Kittie Howard said...

Hi, Edi! Thanks for stopping by and for being my 450th Follower. I'm soooo excited - blogging is such a wonderful experience. I'm so grateful.

My hub landed in Frankfurt this a.m. to transfer to a connecting flight. A business trip. We were in Austria this summer on holiday. Wonderful!

Again, thank you for making my day!

ediFanoB said...

Kitty,

it is always a pleasure to meet kind people.

Hope your hubby has had a good flight.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...