Saturday, October 08, 2011

Edi's Weekend Wave #1141

Hello and welcome to issue #41 of Edi's Weekend Wave.
The weather changed. Autumn arrived. I think it is getting boring for you when I tell you again and again that I did not find time for reading, blogging and reviewing because I have been too tired in the evening. I think the content will reflect if I had time to do things or not. End of 2011 and especially Christmas is coming nearer. You know time flies like an arrow. Of course we all know the fact that Christmas is in December. But do we think about presents in advance in order to avoid Christmas shopping stress? I think for most of the people Christmas comes up as suddenly as an earthquake. I'm happy that my wife, my daughter and me do all Christmas gift stuff in advance. So we have a relaxed December and enjoy to visit Christmas markets with mulled wine, music and gingerbread. Anyway only 84 days until end of 2011 and 77 days until Christmas Eve. I hope you will have an as relaxed December as I will have. And now

ENJOY READING ....

Edi's Guidepost

The Lighthouse
News and information straight from the horse's mouth by Lighthouse keeper ediFanoB

  1. Reading progress
  2. Christmas gift
Books
The latest report from our shelf shop net correspondent Bona
  1. E long and short and a real one on the way
  2. Michael J Sullivan
  3. Rosalie Skinner
  4. Alex J Cavanaugh
  5. Book from the past - my past
Blogosphere
Messages from the depths of the blogosphere by spheronaut Bona Fide
  1. Insects
  2. Research for a book
  3. Additional information
Movies
Remote control junkie Fide and his zapping highlights
  1. The Raven

Quotes
The member of the house of quotes and a quote himself the Keeper of the minutes ( we call him Kotm) fished for you
  1. German proverbs, sayings and idioms Kotm goes philosophical

The Lighthouse

Last week I missed my reading target by 35 pages which means I read in sum 455 pages (until end of Friday; my reading week goes from Saturday to Friday). But I'm happy that I finished three books and a short story!

I finished

- A Dance with Dragons by George R.R. Martin.
Unbelievable but true. I did it!! It was a bit sad that there have been only a few chapters starring Arya Stark who is one of my favorite characters. Jon Snow surprised me a bit. Forme he is a great Lord Commander of the Night's Watch and I hope the prophecy that he will meet Arya again will come true. I'm not sure where will Tyrion and Daenerys will end. And I really hope that Brienne of Tarth will appear in the next books because this time her part was a way too short for me. All in all I liked the book a lot and I can't wait to read what will happen especially behind The Wall.

- The Lion of Cairo by Scott Oden (PB)
History, adventure, fantasy
A great read. It was exactly as good as described in the review over at My Favorite Books.

- Phoenix Rising (pb, 2011) [ISBN-13: 978-0062049766] by Pip Ballantine and Tee Morris.
An action paced steampunk adventure with a lot of humor.
Loveable characters and an interesting story.
I hope there will be more adventures with Wellington Thornhill Books and Eliza D. Braun.


- The Viscount and the Witch (eBook, short story, 2011) [ISBN13: 294-0013348295] by Michael J Sullivan
The first installment of The Riyria Chronicles, which gives the reader a first impression of the two main characters Royce Melborn and Hadrian Blackwater.
I wrote on GOODREADS: Absolutely mouth watering, promising, charming. It seems I "met" two new comrades.

I'm

- 46 pages in The Hero always wins Robert Eaton (PDF)
I'm sorry. No progress. Have been too tired to read an eBook on my laptop.

- 4 pages in Veteran (pb, 2011) [ISBN-13: 978-0575094116] by Gavin Smith
That means I read the introduction before I started to write this post


I will start with

- The Wise Man's Fear (994 pages, trade paperback, UK 2011) [ISBN-13: 978-0575081420] by Patrick Rothfuss

- Exiled:Winter's Curse (PDF, 2011, Museit Up Publishing) [ISBN-13: 978-1927085783] by Rosalie Skinner


I know in the past years I repeatedly posted that I do not want an eBook Reader and that I prefer real books. But In the past weeks I changed my mind. I receive more and more books for reviewing as electronic copies. I want to read books in my preferred chair or on the sofa. So my wife and I decided that we will buy us an eBook Reader as our Christmas gift. People outside the USA do not have many different choices.
We want a reader especially for PDF and EPUB format - it is sad that Amazon use its own format, we want to buy books from different book stores and we want an E-Ink panel. Therefore we decided to go for the Sony PRS-T1. Read this excellent Sony PR-T1 review which include two videos. Now I have to wait 77 days ....


Enjoy your weekend ....


Books

Dear readers, I'm the one to tell you about books - only books? What about novellas and other stuff? My name is Bona. I scour shelves, shops and the net for books. If you call me a book whore I would not gainsay you. But be aware I have my own, sometimes elusive taste.

This week I received an eBook and I downloaded an eShort story. This time I do a bit more than just presenting the books to you. I have a knack for authors who work together with small publishers. The numbers of books I find over there and which delivered my entertaining hours is increasing.

Let me start with an author who made his way from self publishing to a big publisher but still remembers where he came from: Michael J Sullivan

Recently I came in contact with Michael J. Sullivan who signed a contract with Orbit which will publish all the books in the Riyria Revelations series in three omnibus and will do it in three consecutive months starting in November 2011. A few days ago Michael J. Sullivan sent a message on GOODREADS which I would like to share with you (of course I got his permission):

"I'm reaching out to all my fans (first time) because things are happening fast and I want to make sure that everyone knows what is going on.

- First, thanks for raising your hand and becoming a fan of mine - I still find it very surreal to think I have fans and really appreciate your support of my writing.

- Secondly, the new trilogy version of the Riyria Revelations from Orbit (fantasy imprint of big-six pubisher Hachette) will be releaded in three consecutive months starting Thansksgiving and the last one (and Percepliquis) available in January.
Theft of Swords (Omnibus  Riyria Revelations, #1) Rise of Empire Heir of Novron (Omnibus  Riyria Revelations, #3)
(click on the pics for further information)

- Third, I’ve released a free short as a way of saying thank you. It is a prequel to the Riyria Revelations and you can get it free here: Or add it to your good read shelves
(Click on the picture for further information)

- Fourth, I’m finally going to do a newsletter to keep fans updated on new releases, contests, etc. For each 100 people who sign up I’ll do a free giveaway drawing: books, tshirts, and gift cards. You can sign-up for the newsletter here

- Lastly, if you are on Facebook – please like Orbit’s Riyria facebook page. There are several reasons for this. First it shows Orbit that I do indeed have fans (which means they’ll do a larger print run of my books and put more money toward advertising) but also…we are trying to get to 1,000 likes so that Orbit will release the next chapter in Percepliquis (they’ve already posted two) I know many don’t want to read this until the whole book is ready, but there are those that do want to read early so by liking you’ll get fellow Riyria Fans one step closer.

I hope you don’t mind me contacting you this way. While I’m sending them one by one it is being done via cut/paste as there is much to tell everyone about and I want to make sure that all my fans are getting the same message. Going forward I’ll use the newsletter to update you and you can always opt out of that if you don’t want to hear more from me.

Again thanks for your support of my writing it means a great deal to me."

A review of The Viscount and the Witch will follow next week.
Anyway I highly recommend to download the short story because beside the story the author's note is impressive. Read these four pages in order to get an understanding how long it can take to publish a book.
The review of the whole Riyria Revelations series is on of my upcoming projects ...


On September 21st I reviewed Exiled:Autumn's Peril (eBook, September 2011, MuseItUp Publishing. ) by Rosalie Skinner which is the first book in The Chronicles of Caleath series. I liked it a lot and Rosalie Skinner promised me that I will get review copies of the following seven books which will be launched in the next months. Unfortunately I could not inform you in time about the launch party for book two in the series: Exiled:Winter's Curse (eBook, October 2011, MuseItUp Publishing). A big thank you goes to Rosalie Skinner for sending me an electronic copy.
"The Chronicles of Caleath continue...
The giant ants have returned to their nest during the winter chill. Alone, Caleath rides south to kill the Tarack queen in her dormant colony, and thus, ensure the safety of the people. His ‘kill or be killed’ mission is not altruistic. Deeper needs drive him. However, a small child's plea for help dissolves Caleath's simple plan.

H
is new quest takes him on a desperate path traversed by bandits, dragons ,bloody battles, danger, and death. He is no longer alone
.
M
eanwhile Nasith travels south with Lachlan, Gwilt and a band of soldiers prepared for the battle with the Tarack. As they travel, Gwilt voices his concern about the malevolence surrounding a newcomer to the group, a young woman who has befriended Nasith. Convinced his doubts have fallen on deaf ears, he remains alert and wary. His attitude leads to a confrontation from which neither he nor Nasith emerge unscathed.
W
hile winter allows the unsuspecting people of Allorn time to prepare for the emergence of mature Tarack, other nefarious schemes threaten to destroy them." [Source]

I look forward to read it. Even it was not on my list for the rest of 2011 picks I could not withstand and added it to my current reads. And I count the days until we get our eBook Reader.


I'm a fan of Alex J. Cavanaugh and his first book CassaStaR (October 2010) [ISBN-13: 978-0981621067] which I reviewed in 2010. All fans of Alex and all interested people should mark following date in their calendars:

If you want to support Alex J. Cavanaugh then read his Big Announcement post. Today I received a mail from publisher Dancing Lemur Press saying that I will receive my reviewer copy soon! Thank you Alex for managing that. Good luck with your second book. And for all insiders let me tell that there are women in CassaFire. The book trailer will be available soon. Be sure I will show it to you.


Some of you may know that I started to read books in English in 2007. That means tons of books have been published before which I either do not know or which are no more longer available. Therefore I really like it when books are re-released like the following one:
Captain Nemo (re-released September 2011) [ISBN-13: 978-0857683427] by Kevin J.Anderson.
"Captain Nemo is the fictitious story of one of Jules Verne's most memorable characters, the mysterious Captain Nemo. The tale, which begins in 1840s France, revolves around the relationship of three close friends: Jules Verne, André Nemo, and Caroline Aronnax. As children, all three dream of travel and adventure, but as they grow older, family obligations keep Jules and Caroline in France. Young André, who has no family left alive, signs up as a crew member on board a trade ship sailing around the world.
Along the way, pirates attack the ship and, barely escaping with his life, Nemo is marooned on a deserted island. There, he discovers a passageway to the center of the Earth! But that's just the beginning -- add in a journey across Africa in a helium balloon, imprisonment by an evil Ottoman caliph, and a voyage to the bottom of the sea, and you've got one heck of a story!" [Source]
I must say I found the blurb interesting enough to add the book to my never ending book list.


No more today, see you next week ......

Blogosphere

Hey, I'm Bona Fide. I just came back from my last foray through the blogosphere. What can you expect from me? I tell you: Everything from Art to Fart as long as there is any faint connection to books. And here is some honey from the beehive blogosphere...

Insects - there are a lot of them on our planet. When I read about insects there is always one series which comes up in my mind: Shadows of the Apt series by Adrian Tchaikovsky. I own six of the seven available books and so far I read only the first one.
Today I recommend an awesome post over at Dark Roasted Blend which impressed me. I hope you will find some time to have a look at following post: The Most Surreal Insect on Earth
To be honest I did not know this insect before. Our world is full of amazing things.


Would you like to read an article/post about the research for book? I must say I like this kind of stuff. Tia Nevitt delivered a good example with her post The Week in Research. In case you like the post leave a comment. Authors like to get feedback. By the way I also left comment including a video link. Have a look ....


Just came across this very detailed description on how the Varangian
Guard shifted from its Viking/Russian origins to Anglo-Saxons, and I
wanted to quickly share the link with you:

On September 13th I reviewed Varangian: The Stone of Babylon (eBook , September 2011)
[ASIN: B005KN3XOC] by Sabine Atkins (Visit the author on GOODREADS). My review included information about the Varangian Guard which really existed in the past. What would you say when the author of a book delivers you research material? Sabine Atkins surprised me with a mail which contained a link to a detailed description on how the Varangian Guard shifted from its Viking/Russian origins to Anglo-Saxons. Thank you very much Sabine Atkins. I hope to find time to read it soon. Anyway I want to share the link with you:
An Englishman in Byzantium: Political Motivations for Ethnic Change in the Varangian Guard by Thomas Lecaque Maybe one of you is interested in history, especially the history of the Varangian Guard.


That's it for today. Come back next week for more ......

Movies

Hey, it's me Fide. I'm a remote control professional. I'm that fast that I can watch two movies at the same time.
But don't worry. All the stuff I present to you will be shown at normal speed.

The third week in a row. STOP! This week I present a trailer from an upcoming movie. Due to information from Tribute.ca the film will be launched on March 9th, 2012. I talk about The Raven directed by James McTeigue and starring John Cusack.
"A fictionalized account of the last days of Edgar Allan Poe's life, in which the poet pursues a serial killer whose murders mirror those in the writer's stories. " [Source]

Did you ever read a book by Edgar Allan Poe? Then you will easily detect some of his stories which have been used for this film. It looks interesting. But keep in mind this film has nothing to do with the life of Edgar Allan Poe and it is no adaption of one of stories/poems.




When I'm not sure about copy rights of a picture I avoid to post the picture and give you a link instead. When you liked the above trailer then you should have a look at


That's all for today. See you next time....


Quotes

I 'm the Keeper of the minutes. But I don't mind when you call me Kotm. No, no. I don't explain to you how to pronounce.

Time to be a little bit philosophical because there are matters we forget quite easily ....


"Every individual matters. Every individual has a role to play. Every individual makes a difference.
Jane Goodall, English ethologist & zoologist (1934 - )

8 comments:

Seak (Bryce L.) said...

I just got my copy of CassaFire, looking forward to it!

ediFanoB said...

Hi Seak,
great! I expect my copy in a couple of days. It takes a while from USA to Germany.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Hey, thanks for mentioning the Catch Fire blog party! Hope you get your copy soon - glad Bryce got his already.

ediFanoB said...

Hey Alex,
of course you can count on me when it comes to share word about CassaFire.
From my experience I can tell you that a book delivery from USA to Germany takes from one to four weeks. So I know I have to be patient.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Hey Edi! You are one of the blogs I promoted for the Pay it Forward blogfest today - so hope you get some serious traffic!

Eve.E said...

Hi there,
Thankyou so much for stopping by my blog. I have popped over from alex's blogfest. Lovely to meet you and you have a new follower. xoxo
Eve. :)

Eve.E said...

Hi there,
Thankyou so much for stopping by my blog. I have popped over from alex's blogfest. Lovely to meet you and you have a new follower. xoxo
Eve. :)

ediFanoB said...

Hi Eve,

you're welcome. Hopy you are satisfied with the progress on your book.

We all like to have more followers :-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...