Saturday, October 01, 2011

Edi's Weekend Wave #1140

Hello and welcome to issue #40 of Edi's Weekend Wave.
The weather is still lovely with a lot of sunshine and blue sky. Unfortunately I have been very tired in the evenings and therefore I spent several days without switching on my laptop. As a result I have still to answer several mails, a lot of Google Reader items wait to be read and I sit in front of my laptop empty-handed. So I have to hurry up to find some content. But I'm sure I will find something interesting for you.
[Hours later]
I'm relieved I found some topics which have not been posted before a hundred times.
Have a look and

ENJOY READING ....

Edi's Guidepost

The Lighthouse
News and information straight from the horse's mouth by Lighthouse keeper ediFanoB

  1. Reading progress
  2. My reading impression
Books
The latest report from our shelf shop net correspondent Bona
  1. A book ordered and received
  2. Babylon Steel - a book for me?
  3. Daughter of Smoke and Bone
Blogosphere
Messages from the depths of the blogosphere by spheronaut Bona Fide
  1. The Gutenberg Project
Movies
Remote control junkie Fide and his zapping highlights
  1. No movie trailer but a Steampunk Tag

Quotes
The member of the house of quotes and a quote himself the Keeper of the minutes ( we call him Kotm) fished for you
  1. German proverbs, sayings and idioms Random quote

The Lighthouse

I don't know how I managed to read 493 pages because I slept nearly every evening. I finished no book but I'm happy with the progress of especially one book.

I'm

- 800 pages in A Dance with Dragons by George R.R. Martin.
Means I read 128 pages last week! Only 159 pages left! As there is a public holiday on next Monday, I'm sure I will finish by end of next week. Hello The Wise Man's Fear (994 pages, trade paperback, UK 2011) [ISBN-13: 978-0575081420] I'm coming!!

- 375 pages in The Lion of Cairo by Scott Oden (PB)
History, adventure, fantasy
A great read. Ancient Cairo comes alive and the Emir of the Knife is an impressive character.
I highly recommend the review over at My Favorite Books.

- 46 pages in The Hero always wins Robert Eaton (PDF)
Fantasy
A small effort.


- 165 pages in Phoenix Rising (pb, 2011) [ISBN-13: 978-0062049766] by Pip Ballantine and Tee Morris.
Eliza D. Braun and Wellington Thorn Books are the two main characters which I like a lot.
Steampunk with a mystery touch.


Recently I posted my reading impression of The Revisionists by Thomas Mullen.
I always feel uncomfortable when I write about book which did not hit my expectations. I try to emphasize that this is my own opinion and it is possible that readers could enjoy the book despite my opinion. Therefore it is most important to explain the WHY properly. Then it is up to the reader to decide. Anyway it seems I'm not the only one who have had some problems with the book. Just read the review by Robert T. over at Fantasy Literature.

Enjoy your weekend ....


Books

Dear readers, I'm the one to tell you about books - only books? What about novellas and other stuff? My name is Bona. I scour shelves, shops and the net for books. If you call me a book whore I would not gainsay you. But be aware I have my own, sometimes elusive taste.

This week I received the copy of a book which I ordered several months ago. It is the second book in the The Ancient Blades trilogy. It continues with A Thief in The Night (September 2011) [ISBN-13: 978-0062021250] by David Chandler.
"As a thief, Malden is unparalleled in the Free City of Ness, and happy there. But by saving the life of the knight Croy, Malden has bound himself to an ancient, noble brotherhood… and he now possesses one of only seven Ancient Blades capable of destroying demons.
Malden fears accompanying Croy and the barbarian Morget on their quest to dispatch a foul creature of nightmare… nor does he want to disturb the vengeful dead. But with an assassin on his heels, the young cutpurse is left with no choice. And there is the comely sorceress Cythera, to consider, promised to Croy but in love with Malden. Not to mention the fabulous treasure rumored to be hidden in the depths of the demon’s lair…

A Thief in the Night picks up right where Den of Thieves left off and continues the action and adventure! Though each book works as a standalone, they fit together in a mosaic of fantasy that will be concluded with the third volume, to be released later this year.
Dare you enter the ancient Vincularium, sealed for eight hundred years? Dare you learn the long-buried secrets it contains, and face the unmourned dead? You can’t afford to miss this brand new chapter of the saga!"[Source]
The trilogy is on my reading list... GOOD NEWS for all of my US readers. There is a giveaway over at A Fantasy Reader which will end on October 6th 2011. Good Luck!!


It still makes a lot of fun to discover new authors and their books. And of course it is exciting too.
Beside all the steampunk, science fiction, mystery, history reads I return again and again to epic fantasy. A few hours I discovered a new author: Gaie Sebold. Babylon Steel (pb, January 2012] [ISBN-13: 978-1907992384] which is the first book in a new series.

"Babylon Steel, ex-sword-for-hire, ex… other things, runs the best brothel in Scalentine; city of many portals, two moons, and a wide variety of races, were-creatures, and religions, not to mention the occasional insane warlock.
She’s not having a good week. The Vessels of Purity are protesting against brothels, women in the trade are being attacked, it’s tax time, and there’s not enough money to pay the bill. So when the mysterious Darask Fain offers her a job finding a missing girl, Babylon decides to take it. But the missing girl is not what she seems, and neither is Darask Fain. In the meantime twomoon is approaching, and more than just a few night’s takings are at risk when Babylon’s hidden past reaches out to grab her by the throat." [Source]

I find the blurb promising and it is always difficult for me to withstand female main characters ....


This is the final post for Daughter of Smoke and Bones (pb, September 2011] [ISBN-13: 978-0316199025] by Laini Taylor. watch the final trailer:


Join Daughter of Smoke and Bone:
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/TheSmokeandBoneGroup
Twitter: http://twitter.com/#!/SmokeAndBone

More and more great reviews pop up: Book Smugglers, My Favourite Books, Ink and Paper, The Speculative Scotsman

No more today, see you next week ......

Blogosphere

Hey, I'm Bona Fide. I just came back from my last foray through the blogosphere. What can you expect from me? I tell you: Everything from Art to Fart as long as there is any faint connection to books. And here is some honey from the beehive blogosphere...

Do you know PROJECT GUTENBERG? It is an important and still project in the history of the electronic book. Project Gutenberg has been founded by Michael Stern Hart in 1971! On September 6th Michael Stern Hart passed away. But the project will continue to buy and digitize books. Project Gutenberg offers more than 36,000 free ebooks for download! Donations are highly welcomed. Beside money Project Gutenberg needs help for proof reading.
Anyway check the online catalogue. Maybe you will find something worth to download and reading.

Sources like Project Gutenberg have a direct impact on my wish to get and eBook reader. When everything goes well, my wife and I will get one as an Christmas gift .....




That's it for today. Come back next week for more ......

Movies

Hey, it's me Fide. I'm a remote control professional. I'm that fast that I can watch two movies at the same time.
But don't worry. All the stuff I present to you will be shown at normal speed.

The second week in a row I did not find a trailer. Instead I show you something completely different. I like steampunk. The following time lapse video shows the making of a steampunk tag. I must say I would like to get one. I did not expect how many things are necessary.



That's all for today. See you next time....


Quotes

I 'm the Keeper of the minutes. But I don't mind when you call me Kotm. No, no. I don't explain to you how to pronounce.

I hope there will be more time for inspiration and research ....


"We are here on Earth to do good to others. What the others are here for, I don't know.
W. H. Auden, US (English-born) critic & poet (1907 - 1973)

5 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

That was A LOT of work on that steampunk tag! And someone with a lot of patience.

Seak (Bryce L.) said...

I love that quote! That's amazing.

ediFanoB said...

Quotes are a tricky thing.
Glad you liked this one.
Every week I try to find something remarkable. Sometimes it works sometimes not.

ebookmaker101 said...

This wonderful blog, forward, I wish you success! here is my website is also has free ebooks to download
How to ebooks
it has a ton of great free ebooks!

ediFanoB said...

@ebookmaker101,

thanks for the kind words and for the link.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...