Friday, September 16, 2011

Edi's Spotlight: Getting Old Can Kill You by Rita Lakin

After two fantasy book reviews the time has come to surprise you with something completely different. There is a series which I follow since2008 when I discovered the first book. For me it is a kind of science fiction because it is like a view into a possible future.

It seems when you pass the 50 years line you think more often about age than before. How will life be for me when I pass the 70 years line? Will I still read books? Will I still laugh about jokes? Or will I be a rancorous old codger? Fortunately I don't know.

Therefore I like to read how life could be when I'm a 70+. That is the reason why I read the Gladdy Gold series by Rita Lakin. In Summer 2011 she delivered the seventh Gladdy Gold adventure: Getting Old Can Kill You (pb, July 2011) [ISBN-13: 978-0440245605] and I read them all.
"Life isn’t all sunny in Fort Lauderdale’s Lanai Gardens. Returning from a blissful double honeymoon with her sister Evvie, Gladdy Gold announces that she wants her new hubby, Jack, to join her detective agency. But Gladdy’s gals say no dice, and soon Ida, Sophie, and Bella are striking out on their own, enrolling in a class to learn how to be real PIs.

But there’s more than enough trouble for two detective agencies when sultry Joyce Steiner moves in, reopening an old rivalry with Arlene Simon, whose husband ran off with Joyce fifty-five years earlier. When Joyce is found murdered, Arlene becomes the prime suspect, and Gladdy and her girls will have to band together if they’re going to prove that the truth is not just elusive but a real killer." [Source]

It is an on going series which means there is a real character development. Of course it is possible to read each book as a stand alone but in this case you will miss a lot. I wish I will be as spry and funny as Gladdy Gold and her friends.

As all the six books before Getting Old Can Kill You is a funny, emotional and most entertaining read. Deep in the heart these books show how you can age in dignity and respect and stillhaving a lot of fun. You are not for the birds when you get 70 and older!

I still wait for a Gladdy Gold TV series or movies. I assume it would be like a mix of Golden Girls and Miss Marple.

Following video fits perfectly to a quote from the first book:
"I don't like beans. They give me the gas."



You want to know how life can be beyond an age of 70? You look for an entertaining read which let you laugh out loud? You need to be reminded how important it is to have friends? You loved the Golden Girls and you search for something similar with a PI touch? You look for a book you can read together with your partner?

Then there is no way out. Read the Gladdy Gold series. That is seven times most entertaining read. Seven times you will spend unforgettable hours.
But attention:
Be aware that you will laugh out loud more than once.

Don't forget to visit Rita Lakin on her website and on GOODREADS.

ENJOY READING AND LAUGHING !!

2 comments:

Rosalie Skinner said...

Sounds like a hoot!! Thanks for the heads up. 'Getting old will kill you'.. hmm.. yep, sounds like my kind of read for a sunny afternoon. Thanks.

ediFanoB said...

The Gladdy Gold series is good choice for a sunny afternoon or whenever you need to put yourself into good humor.

But I recommend to start with the first book: Getting old is Murder. Look at GOODREADS.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...