Saturday, August 27, 2011

Edi's Weekend Wave #1135

Hello and welcome to issue #35 of Edi's Weekend Wave.
This issue of the Weekend Wave is different. Maybe because I did not find much time to stroll around in the web. Maybe because I found time to finish and post two reviews. Maybe because I started to play again one of my favorite games. Maybe because I have been infected with the historical fiction virus. Maybe because I read 100 pages more than expected. Maybe because I received two more books to review. Maybe because I listen to a song which does not go out of my head. Maybe because I like to repeat maybe because again and again and again ....

Promised! will not use these words again in this post. And now

ENJOY READING ....

Edi's Guidepost

The Lighthouse
News and information straight from the horse's mouth by Lighthouse keeper ediFanoB

  1. Reading progress
  2. Catchy song
Books
The latest report from our shelf shop net correspondent Bona
  1. Posted about, ordered and received
  2. Requested and agreed
  3. The Kindness of authors
  4. Infected, ordered and received
Blogosphere
Messages from the depths of the blogosphere by spheronaut Bona Fide
  1. Historical fiction virus
Movies
Remote control junkie Fide and his zapping highlights
  1. A teaser
  2. A special trailer
  3. A whole movie
Games
The old codger himself (ediFanoB) tortures PC and Consoles
  1. Oblivion (PS3, GotY edition)
  2. Skyrim (PS3, 11.11.11)

Quotes
The member of the house of quotes and a quote himself the Keeper of the minutes ( we call him Kotm) fished for you
  1. German proverbs, sayings and idioms Crime quotes

The Lighthouse

It seems there is a small progress in my reading speed. Last week I read 539 pages in six days. That means 89 pages per day and nearly 45 pages per hour!! But to be honest when it comes to A Dance with Dragons it drops to 20 pages per hour.

I finished

- Leviathan Wakes by James S. A. Corey
That is one of the best books I read in 2011 so far!!! Absolutely awesome!!


I'm

- 276 pages in A Dance with Dragons by George R.R. Martin.
Which means I read four more chapters.

- 22 pages in Honour and the Sword by A L Berridge

- 160 pages in King's Envoy by Cas Peace
Nothing really new but the setting is interesting and the writing
let you glide through the story.

I think you know how it goes with catchy songs. you listen once and then you can't get them out of your head. And this is my catchy song of the week: A Night Like This performed by Caro Emerald.



Enjoy your weekend ....


Books

Dear readers, I'm the one to tell you about books - only books? What about novellas and other stuff? My name is Bona. I scour shelves, shops and the net for books. If you call me a book whore I would not gainsay you. But be aware I have my own, sometimes elusive taste.

In issue #34 of Edi's Weekend Wave I posted about two books which I ordered and received in the meantime. In order not to repeat the post content I just give you this time basic information only. I ordered and receive copies of The Recollection (pb, August 30th 2011] [ISBN-13: 978-1907519987 by Gareth L Powell and City of Pearl (pb, 2004] [ISBN-13: 978-0060541699] by Karen Traviss.

The number of review requests is increasing. I do not want to bore you with the requests I refused. But I think the ones I agreed could be interesting for you as the reviews will appear on my blog. I know that there are readers which look for books as soon they get title, author and ISBN. Therefore I share these information with you. And of course it is good for the author to be mentioned. Last week I received and agreed following review requests:


The Hero always wins (Kindle edition] [ASIN:B005CMGZAU] by Robert Eaton.
"The knight's oath is barely off Darcy's tongue, and already the world is collapsing around him. As the demon hordes of Angra-Jyn slaughter their way toward the city, betrayal amongst the knights' own ranks threatens to destroy them before they can even make their stand. But the blood of a hero flows in Darcy's veins. He will not be discouraged by the war he is losing. He will not be dissuaded by the traitorous assassin who continues to strike in the night. He will not give up, even as friends start to doubt him and sanity begins to slip beyond his grasp. Why? Because victory is his destiny. Because he is the hero, and the hero always wins." [Source]
The last two sentences of the blurb convinced me to read and review it. Don't forget to have a deeper look at the cover. What a strange mirror image in the water ...

The Metalmark Contract (Kindle edition] [ASIN:B004Y60T3E] by David Batchelor.
"The alien Metalmark offered mankind a starship and its advanced technology in a trade for the rights to planet Mercury and moon Triton. What could go wrong? But his appearance sent the nations of Earth into turmoil as many people suspected danger and a trick. Our dreams of futuristic breakthroughs made Metalmark a celebrity in the West, but inflamed the Islamic world. A scientist with the space agency and a CIA spy became two of Metalmark's defenders. Our chance to join superior beings and travel the stars depended on the clash of futurists with ancient traditions. Could he sell us the means to a quantum jump in progress? But . . . he wanted Mercury and Triton for habitats where his species could spawn . . . what did that mean?" [Source]


I liked the setting a lot. Even the basic idea is nothing completely new. But the author added some new elements like the Islamistic world which aroused my interest and which led finally to my decision to read and review it.

I know that these kind of decisions undermine my recently posted picks for the rest of 2011 but I said it before these picks are not carved in stone. I still will have an open eye and ear for review request.

I posted about A L Berridge and her The Chevalier series in Edi's Lighthouse Chatter: Stay away from ... So I got in contact with A L Berridge. The result is that I received signed copies of
Honour and the Sword (2010)
[ISBN-13: 978-0141043739]
As you could read above I could not withstand and started to read it

In the Name of the King (2011)
[ISBN-13: 978-0141043746]

Today I received a copy of The Lion of Cairo (pb, 2011] [ISBN-13: 978-0553819830] by Scott Oden.
"Book One of the Emir of the Knife trilogy— a vivid and gripping tale of enchantment and Arabian Nights-style intrigue. On the banks of the ageless Nile, from a palace of gold and lapis lazuli, the young Caliph rules as a figurehead over a crumbling empire. Cairo is awash in deception. In the shadow of the Gray Mosque, generals and emirs jockey for position under the scheming eyes of the powerful grand vizier. Egypt bleeds and the scent draws her enemies in like sharks. Yet, the Caliph has an unexpected ally—the Old Man of the Mountain who holds the power of life and death over the warring factions of the Moslem world, and he sends his greatest weapon into Egypt. He sends a single man. An Assassin. The one they call the Emir of the Knife...." [Source]
There is a reason behind why I ordered this book which I will explain in the next section of this post.

No more today, see you next week ......

Blogosphere

Hey, I'm Bona Fide. I just came back from my last foray through the blogosphere. What can you expect from me? I tell you: Everything from Art to Fart as long as there is any faint connection to books. And here is some honey from the beehive blogosphere...

I admit I have a knack for historical fiction. Need a proof? Then read my posts
Edi's Lighthoue Chatter:Picks for the rest of 2011
Edi's Lighthouse Chatter: Stay away from ...
But since last week I'm sure I have been infected by the historical fiction virus. It happened on Thursday during lunch time. I like to read a few blog posts during my lunch break. And I did the same on August 25th. I switched over to My Favorite Books and read following review The Lion of Oden by Scott Oden. Read is not the right word. I devoured the review. This is far beyond to be a book review. It is as much a homage to The Lion of Cairo as the book is a homage to Cairo.
As soon as I finished the review I left a comment and signed in to Amazon and ordered a copy!
To be honest that is not a normal reaction. For me it was the final proof that I have been infected by the historical fiction virus. What's about do? Do you like these kind of books? Anyway I will read and review The Lion of Cairo as the other six history related books I picked for the rest of 2011.

And these are the magic seven related to specific regions and/or countries

ORIENT
- The Lion of Cairo (pb, 2011] [ISBN-13: 978-0553819830] by Scott Oden.
- A Place called Armageddon (pb, October 2011)
[ISBN-13: 978-1409121602]by CC Humphreys
- VARANGIAN: The Stone of Babylon by Sabine Atkins.

ENGLAND
- Dark Fire (pb, 2004) [ISBN-13: 978-0330450782] by C. J. Sansom
- Prophecy (pb, august 18th 2011) [ISBN-13: 978-0007317738] by S. J. Parris

FRANCE
- Honour and the Sword (2010) [ISBN-13: 978-0141043739] A L Berridge
- In the Name of the King (2011) [ISBN-13: 978-0141043746] by A L Berridge


That's it for today. Come back next week for more ......

Movies

Hey, it's me Fide. I'm a remote control professional. I'm that fast that I can watch two movies at the same time.
But don't worry. All the stuff I present to you will be shown at normal speed.

Today the movie section differs a bit from what you are used to see here.

Let me start with a teaser which I definitely would have missed. But luckily I have readers which provide my with links. In this case a big thank you goes to RaveAir who is a fellow blogger from Hungary. And have a look at the teaser of the first full length Hungarian steapunk sc-fi movie Thelomeris. So far the official Thelomeris site does not offer more information than a link to Facebook where I found following information:
"Thelomeris is an independent science fiction thriller / drama movie, placed in a mystical, dark city, where everything is controlled by the enormous, dark tower, the Clock Factory. The creative consultant of the screenplay is Mark Hamill ( Luke Skywalker from Star Wars )." [Source]

I would like to see more before I build up my mind. So far I can say while watching the teaser one old but still extraordinary good movie cam up in my mind: Metropolis by Fritz Lang ..... Don't get me wrong I do not compare these two movies! But the pictures of the town ....

Normally you expect movie trailers at this point of the post. I'm sure a lot of you have seen this trailer before on other blog. But as this trailer looks more than just a book trailer and as I really like the trailer I post it here and now:



Finally I would like to show you what is possible when you have a budget of 1.800 USD and enough time within a period of 3 and a half years:
"After his wife Alina (Nikki Gaertner-Eaton) is kidnapped by a group of slave traders and put up for sale to the highest bidder, Emerson Marks (Peter Rossi), captain of the airship ‘Aurora’ flies out in search of her. With his crew’s opinions divided and the ruthless slave trader LeMaher (Mark Aitchison) in his way, Emerson must decide how much he is willing to sacrifice in order to bring back the one he loves." [Source]
Before you start to watch the movie let me tell you that it takes 30 minutes of your time ...



That's all for today. See you next time....


Games

Hey, it's me ediFanoB. Against all odds I play games. Once a while I will talk about games I like.

In former years I liked to play role playing games and action adventures on PC and consoles (Sony and Nintendo). In the meantime our main PC does not meet the system requirements of new games. And since I started with this blog I lost interest in playing games.
That changed in the past weeks. One word is the synonym for this change: SKYRIM

Our whole family like the games in the ElderScrolls series a lot. I can't count the hours we spent with Morrowind and Oblivion. And now part 5 is ahead. The magic date is 11.11.11 !!!

As described above, we will not be able to play SKYRIM on our PC. Therefore we will go for the PS3 version. And as especially my wife and I wanted to play again Oblivion we bought a copy of the Game of the Year edition for PS3. Now we spend out time in the evening alternating playing Oblivion and reading books ...

In case you don't know ElderScrolls series I decided to show you two trailers as a first impression.

OBLIVION Game of the Year edition forPS3 trailer


SKYRIM trailer


By the way I'm playing a female wood elf who is member of the Dark Brotherhood and and the Thieves Guild. My favorite weapon is the bow.

That's it for now. See you when I have time ....


Quotes

I 'm the Keeper of the minutes. But I don't mind when you call me Kotm. No, no. I don't explain to you how to pronounce.

It is a crime that Edi does not give me enough to discover quotes. And therefore I thought quotes related to crime would fit perfectly today ....

"The reason there is so little crime in Germany is that it's against the law.
Alex Levin

"Behind every great fortune there is a crime.
Honore de Balzac, French realist novelist (1799 - 1850)

"Organized crime in America takes in over forty billion dollars a year and spends very little on office supplies.
Woody Allen, US movie actor, comedian, & director (1935 - )

6 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

The trailer for Thelomeris reminds me a little of Dark City as well!

ediFanoB said...

@Alex,
Dark City is unknown to me. Found the trailer on YouTube and I'm impressed. I think I missed something...

RaveAir said...

@Alex: This was my first thought as well.

I have a little bad feeling about this film, but I'd like to see it very much.

Rosalie Skinner said...

Edi, I have a song that I am addicted to at present. Gotye's 'Somebody that I used to know'
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UVNT4wvIGY
It's scary how addicted I have become. :)
I love the artistic style of this video. Some of his other artwork is cool, but IMO this tops the animated spidery creatures. Still... were we talking about music... sorry to sidetrack.

ediFanoB said...

@Rosalie,
I think I can understand why the song and the video is addictive.

And the good thing is that because of the world wide web we can share...

Rosalie Skinner said...

Danergous Edi, be careful! Now I have a video of my son covering the song... sung especially for me and my three year old granddaughter. We both share the addiction. LOL.
Now she wants to watch him sing it over and over...

It could be a cure... but so far it's not working.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...