Saturday, August 06, 2011

Edi's Weekend Wave #1132

Hello and welcome to issue #32 of Edi's Weekend Wave.
No, no, no. Today I write nothing about work. I'm glad that I posted a review last week after a long time and I'm really happy with the result. The joy of writing reviews is back. There will be more soon ...
Now let's see if I found something interesting for you ....


ENJOY READING ....

Edi's Guidepost

The Lighthouse
News and information straight from the horse's mouth by Lighthouse keeper ediFanoB

  1. Reading progress
  2. Reviewing progress and plans
Books
The latest report from our shelf shop net correspondent Bona
  1. Epic Fantasy and Time Travel
  2. Not published yet ........... but you can read the first chapters
  3. An unveiled cover and more
Blogosphere
Messages from the depths of the blogosphere by spheronaut Bona Fide
  1. Another way to discover authors
  2. The return of Harry Lytle
  3. Storm Clouds
  4. Underground city
Movies
Remote control junkie Fide and his zapping highlights
  1. Just in Time
Quotes
The member of the house of quotes and a quote himself the Keeper of the minutes ( we call him Kotm) fished for you
  1. German proverbs, sayings and idioms Something special

The Lighthouse

Another great week concerning reeading. In sum I read 720 pages! Don't ask he how much time I spent for sleep.

After a long time I finished A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin.
The reread has been a wonderful experience.

I'm

- 111 pages in A Dance with Dragons by George R.R. Martin.
I gathered speed. It is so exciting ...

- 122 pages in The Straight Razor Cure by Daniel Polansky.
An unusual main character ...

- 30 pages in The Awakening by DCS

- 100 pages in The Revisionists (September 2011) by Thomas Mullen

Since I posted my review of The Light of Epertase by Douglas R. Brown last week I feel relieved. Now I'm sure more reviews will follow soon. Within the next weeks I plan to review following books:

- Fistful of Reefer by David Mark Brown
- The Awakening by DCS
- The Revisionists (September 2011) by Thomas Mullen
- Redheart by Jackie Gambler


Enjoy your weekend ....


Books

Dear readers, I'm the one to tell you about books - only books? What about novellas and other stuff? My name is Bona. I scour shelves, shops and the net for books. If you call me a book whore I would not gainsay you. But be aware I have my own, sometimes elusive taste.

This week I received copies of two books which belongs to series. As they are third respectively fourth book in series. In order to avoid spoilers I just post the cover, title author and ISBN. In case you would like to get more information just click on the cover which leads you to another source.
Antiphon (pb, 2011) [ISBN-13: 978-0765360939] by Ken Scholes
(Book three; read and liked book one a lot)



The Eternal War (2011) [ISBN-13: 978-0141336336] by Alex Scarrow
(Fourth book in the TimeRiders series. I read and reviewed all the books so far. It is a great series about time traveling. also adults can enjoy this series.)


One ofmy current reads is The Revisionists (September 2011) [ISBN-13: 978-0316176728] by Thomas Mullen.
"Would you kill to make the world a peaceful place?

Zed is an agent from the future. A place where all of the world's problems have been solved. No hunger. No war. No despair.
His mission is to keep that way. Even if it means ensuring every cataclysm throughout history runs its course, especially one just on the horizon.
Zed's mission will ensnare the lives of a disgraced former spy named Leo; a young lawyer, Tasha, grieving over the loss of her brother; Sari, the oppressed employee of a foreign diplomat; and countless others. But will he finish his final mission before the present takes precedence over a perfect future? One that may have more cracks than he realizes?

The Revisionists is a literary tale of action and intrigue that puts a fresh spin on today's global crises, asking questions about the nature of history and the future, and our own roles in shaping them." [Back of the book]
I can read this book because I got an ARC from Mulholland Books. Are you interested in to read some chapters before publishing date? Then I have good news for you. You can read the first three chapters of The Revisionists for free over at the Thomas Mullen Facebook fan page.
My review will be up around publishing date.


Two days ago I received a mail and I would like to share the content with you. Here we go:

The cover of Daughter of Smoke and Bone - the urban fantasy crossover novels by award-winning author Laini Taylor - has just been unveiled – see attached. Please let me know if you can feature this on your site, Facebook, Twitter. More book details coming soon.

Also, for your readers who want to following Daughter of Smoke and Bone here’s the official Facebook and Twitter page:

Facebook http://on.fb.me/oLp5M9

Twitter https://twitter.com/SmokeAndBone

Daughter of Smoke and Bone will launch on September 29th and is the first in a trilogy of. The book tells the story of an angel who fell in love with a devil. It did not end well.

Around the world, black handprints are appearing on doorways, scorched there by winged strangers who have crept through a slit in the sky. In a dark and dusty shop, a devil’s supply of human teeth grows dangerously low. And in the tangled lanes of Prague, a young art student is about to be caught up in a brutal otherworldly war.

Meet Kaoru. She fills her sketchbooks with monsters and demons that delight and enthral those around her; she’s prone to disappearing on mysterious “errands”; she speaks many languages – not all of them human; and her bright blue hair actually grows out of her head that colour.

Her life straddles two worlds: the human and a place that is Elsewhere. She has never really known which one is her true home, but now the doors to Elsewhere closing . . .Who is she? That is the question that haunts her, and she’s about to find out..


No more today, see you next week ......

Blogosphere

Hey, I'm Bona Fide. I just came back from my last foray through the blogosphere. What can you expect from me? I tell you: Everything from Art to Fart as long as there is any faint connection to books. And here is some honey from the beehive blogosphere...

There are many ways to discover new authors: Goodreads, book stores(real ones and online), blogs, sites like Fantastic Fiction and more.
Since this week I know a new way. The comment section of my blog. Whenever I get a comment I have a look at the blogger.com profile (if available). And there I discovered following two authors: Rosalie Skinner and Cas Peace.

Cas Peace is the author of King's Envoy (pb, July 2011) [ISBN-13: 978-1936850136] which is the first book in the Artesans of Albia trilogy.
" ‘Artesans’ is a towering, triple-trilogy fantasy series charting the attempts of a fanatical Albian Baron to rid his realm of the Artesan craft he despises. Throughout the course of the series he stops at nothing to achieve his aim. Friend is set against friend, lover against lover, and ally against ally. His treacherous machinations set the very realms at war.
He is opposed at every turn by Major Sullyan, a member of the High King’s fighting forces. Initially unaware of the Baron’s treachery, Sullyan soon becomes his sworn and implacable enemy. Their conflict will threaten the fabric of the world." [Source]
Due to information from publisher the second book - King's Champion - will be published in August 2012 and the final book inthe trilogy - King's Artesan - will be published in August 2013.

Read the first chapter of King's Envoy over at Cas Peace site . I'm no US citizen. But if you are then you can take part in giveaway over at Goodreads which runs until August 15th 2011.
And time will tell if a King's Envoy review pops up on this blog or not ....


I think it is really unusual that an eight book series will be published in consecutive months, even when it is done as ebooks. But will happen with Rosalie Skinner's Chronicles of Caleath series. It is all about one man called Caleath is hunted by ghosts and alien assassins. Homesick on planet light-years away he tries to survive and escape.

The first book - Exiled: Autumn's Peril will be published in September 2011 by MuseItUp Publishing.
"Exiled and driven by guilt and vengeance, Caleath, adept in virtual reality games, finds himself on an alien world where magic exists. Assassins hunt him, ghosts haunt his nights, a sorcerer covets his knowledge and a beautiful hostage complicates his escape.

Washed ashore from the wreck of the Albatross, tortured in mind and body, Caleath uses his dreaded nanobots in order to survive and reluctantly befriends the young Gwilt. Their search for the survey satellite, which could lead Caleath home, unveils the terrifying world of 'a dark soul, black magic and a bloody sword'." [Source]
For more information about all the books including excerpts please visit the author's site: Rosalie Skinner

I must say they series aroused my interest. Maybe I can get a reviewer copy of the first book ...


I'm a big fan of The Chronicles of Harry Lytle by Paul Lawrence.
In April 2010 I reviewed The Sweet Smell of Decay (June 2009, 448 p.) [ISBN-13: 978-1905636426] and in June 2010 I reviewed A Plague of Sinners (May 2010, 448 p.) [ISBN-13: 978-1905636914].

Maybe you can imagine my joy when Paul Lawrence posted on Goodreads
"Good news to those who have enjoyed the first two books in the series (and for me of course!). The 3rd Chronicle of Harry Lytle is due to be published soon!
...
The working title is 'Hearts of Darkness', but this will likely change before we get to publication. That's what happened with the first two books.
...
The working title of 'Sweet Smell of Decay' was 'Stink". The working title of 'Plague of Sinners' was 'God's Black Finger'. "

Clouds, especially storm clouds deliver awesome motifs. You want an example? Then I highly recommend to have a look at Tsunami in the Sky Storm Cloud over at Dark Roasted Blend.


Once again I found an interesting post over at the Web Urbanist which shows you a strange town in Germany. Unfortunately it is too far away from my home. So I can't visit the town by myself.
Read Rural Underground: City Pops Up Beneath a German Field.


That's it for today. Come back next week for more ......

Movies

Hey, it's me Fide. I'm a remote control professional. I'm that fast that I can watch two movies at the same time.
But don't worry. All the stuff I present to you will be shown at normal speed.

"In a retro-future when the aging gene has been switched off, people must pay to stay alive. People stop aging at 25 years old, however stamped on their arm is a clock of how long they will live. To avoid overpopulation, time has become the currency and the way people pay for luxuries and necessities. The rich can live forever, while the rest try to negotiate for their immortality. A poor young man is accused of murder when he inherits a fortune of time from a dead upper class man. He is forced to go on the run from a corrupt police force known as 'time keepers'." [Source]

I have been intrigued when I read the blurb above. Aging gene switched off - a fascinating and eerie imagination!
This is the plot of the upcoming science fiction thriller In Time. Watch the following trailer which will give you a better understanding.


That's all for today. See you next time....

Quotes

I 'm the Keeper of the minutes. But I don't mind when you call me Kotm. No, no. I don't explain to you how to pronounce.

Today I would like to present you a quote from a book which I currently read ....


"..., and his once firm body was running to fat at a somewhat greater speed than middle age strictly demanded.
From: The Straight Razor Cure (August 2011) by Daniel Polansky

4 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Saw the trailer for In Time before Planet of the Apes this weekend. Interesting idea and great cast.

ediFanoB said...

I assume you talk about The Rise of the Planet of the Apes. The German title will be Planet der Affen: Prevolution and will hit the cinemas on August 11th.
I watched the latest Ape trailer and it is different compared the Ape movies I know.

Rosalie Skinner said...

Thanks for your post about the Chronicles of Caleath. It would be my pleasure to send you a review copy... as soon as one is available.

ediFanoB said...

Hello Rosalie,
I like to discover new books and all what I read so far about the Chronicles of Caleath is really intriguing for me.
Now I look forward to put my nose into the review copy.
Good luck with your Chronicles of Caleath series.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...