Saturday, July 30, 2011

Edi's Weekend Wave #1131

Hello and welcome to issue #31 of Edi's Weekend Wave.
It is nearly midnight in Germany on Friday, July 29th. Today I could leave work earlier than expected and I wanted to spend time for this post and a review. But it seems there is someone who tries to block me from doing that. We use an antivirus program and a firewall on our main PC. But today it happened. The PC has been infected!!! Even it takes a long time I found a way to clean the system without the use of the lovely command format C:. The bad thing is I lost a lot of hours which I wanted to spend for the blog. That's life! It does not help to lament.
Consequence: no review on Friday. Instead of reading on Saturday I will do what I planned to do on Friday afternoon and evening.
And the moral of the story is think thrice before you click a link!
Now let's see if I found something interesting for you ....


ENJOY READING ....

Edi's Guidepost

The Lighthouse
News and information straight from the horse's mouth by Lighthouse keeper ediFanoB

  1. Reading progress
Books
The latest report from our shelf shop net correspondent Bona
  1. Two and two
  2. CassaFire
Blogosphere
Messages from the depths of the blogosphere by spheronaut Bona Fide
  1. Time to speed up
  2. Eerie Inspiration
Movies
Remote control junkie Fide and his zapping highlights
  1. Lucky People
  2. Spiderman
Quotes
The member of the house of quotes and a quote himself the Keeper of the minutes ( we call him Kotm) fished for you
  1. German proverbs, sayings and idioms Secrets

The Lighthouse

I'm dumbfounded. Shall I tell you how many pages I read last week? In sum I read 1014 pages !!! Don't ask me how I managed it.
I finished following books which all need to be reviewed (when??)

- The River of Shadows by Robert V.S. Redick
- The Immorality Engine by George Mann
- The Light of Epertase by Douglas R. Brown
- Fistful of Reefer by David Mark Brown

I'm
- 501 pages in A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin.
As you can see above, I concentrated on other books. Therefore no progress :-((

- 71 pages in A Dance with Dragons by George R.R. Martin.
One more chapter.
.
I will talk about my reading plan for August soon ....

Enjoy your weekend ....


Books

Dear readers, I'm the one to tell you about books - only books? What about novellas and other stuff? My name is Bona. I scour shelves, shops and the net for books. If you call me a book whore I would not gainsay you. But be aware I have my own, sometimes elusive taste.

In sum copies of for books found the way to my shelves (virtual and real).

I like series, especially fantasy series. The two real books I received this week is a proof for that.

The first book for today is the last book in the Watergivers series by Glenda Larke. For me it does not makes sense to post the blurb in this case. You should read Where did the idea for the Watergivers come from? over at the author's site.
Stormlord's Exile (pb, July 2011) [ISBN-13: 978-0316069137]

The second book is the first one in a brand new fantasy series. It pays tribute to the featured hero type in 2011: Thieves
Welcome to the first book in The Ancient Blades trilogy. It all starts with Den of Thieves (July 2011) [ISBN-13: 978-0062021243] by David Chandler. The good thing is that book two and three will be published within this year (UK edition: August and September; US edition: September and November)
"Croy is a knight errant, and bearer of an ancient blade with a powerful destiny. He′s also kind of, well, dim. He believes in honour and he believes that people are fundamentally good. Unfortunately, Croy lives in the city of Ness, a thriving medieval city of fifty thousand people, none of whom are fundamentally even decent, and who will gleefully stab you in the back ... if you give them a chance.

Ness is also the home to Malden. Malden is a thief. He lives by his wits, disarming cunning traps, sneaking past sleeping guards, and running away very fast whenever people are trying to kill him. Which is often. One time Malden stole a crown. And then he had to steal it back to avoid a civil war. Croy got the credit, of course, because he′s a noble knight. Another time the two of them went into the tomb of an ancient warrior race, and Croy accidentally started a barbarian invasion. Guess who had to clean that up?

T
hey probably wouldn′t be friends at all if it wasn′t for Cythera. Cythera is a witch. A mostly-good witch. And despite herself she can′t stop thieves and knights falling in love with her ... At the same time." [Source]


And now we come to the digital copy delivery of books. Author DCS sent me ail with the request to read and review her first to books in her Synarchy series. I must admit the more information I got the more rose my interest. So finally I agreed.

This is the trailer of The Awakening [Kindle Edition; Published May 22nd 2008] which is the first book in the series.



The Awakening [Kindle Edition; Published May 22nd 2008] by DCS.
"A plan is exposed, centuries in the making and so sinister not even the legend himself could have predicted the depth of its impact on the world. In his lifetime Stefano Terenzio had a merciless ambition for absolute power. Two generations later the shock wave he ignited was still being felt. Now, as the world inches closer to 2012 sides are chosen, families divide and an epic battle begins that will determine whether mankind continues existing in a world of lies or shatters the chains that have held us prisoner since his-story was written.

S
hocking yet hopeful, Synarchy slowly unravels the tightly laced reality we have created for ourselves. Blending the metaphysical with conspiracy, fact with fiction, debut author DCS has opened up a world that will force you to rethink everything you believe about your own. The knowledge within provokes the question: do you really want to know?" [Source]

The Ascension [Kindle Edition; Published July 3rd 2010] by DCS is the second book in the series.
"A lifetime ago, Stefano Vasco Terenzio saw one way to maneuver his family into a game of betrayal against an unbeatable enemy; walking into a bullet. A generation later, what started with one man’s ego will determine the fate of the whole word. For centuries The Brotherhood and their Gods, the Anunnaki have hidden in plain sight among us. For centuries they have lied, sacrificed man by the thousands, and manipulated humanity into their service. As the clock ticks closer to December 21st, 2012, they will stop at nothing to keep their control of planet Earth. In the thrilling sequel to Synarchy Book 1: The Awakening, the end is only the beginning. Secrets emerge that will challenge the core of everything you think you believe. All the while a team of scientists must make sense out of the fantastical, and the tenuous link holding together the one family that can save humankind, shatters." [Source]

On July 13th I posted about author Alex J. Cavanaugh and his upcoming second book CassaFire.
Today I can delivery more information. CassaFire will be published on February 28th 2012.

"CassaStar was only the beginning…

The Vindicarn War is a distant memory and Byron’s days of piloting Cosbolt fighters are over. He has kept the promise he made to his fallen mentor and friend - to probe space on an exploration vessel. Shuttle work is dull, but it’s a free and solitary existence. The senior officer is content with his life aboard the Rennather.
The detection of alien ruins sends the exploration ship to the distant planet of Tgren. If their scientists can decipher the language, they can unlock the secrets of this device. Is it a key to the Tgren's civilization or a weapon of unimaginable power? Tensions mount as their new allies are suspicious of the Cassan's technology and strange mental abilities.
To complicate matters, the Tgrens are showing signs of mental powers themselves, the strongest of which belongs to a pilot named Athee, a woman whose skills rival Byron’s unique abilities. Forced to train her mind and further develop her flying aptitude, he finds his patience strained. Add a reluctant friendship with a young scientist, and he feels invaded on every level. All Byron wanted was his privacy…" [Source]
I look forward to read it.


No more today, see you next week ......

Blogosphere

Hey, I'm Bona Fide. I just came back from my last foray through the blogosphere. What can you expect from me? I tell you: Everything from Art to Fart as long as there is any faint connection to books. And here is some honey from the beehive blogosphere...

I think the time has come to speed up my reading of . With all the interviews popping up and the luck to watch some episodes my appetite is growing.
And these are two of the interviews I watched recently:

Interview with Entertainment Weekly at the Comic-Con 2011


Interview with CBC at the Comic-Con 2011


Anyway I highly recommend the four post series by Werthead over at The Wertzone.

If you look for a summary of the books then you should have a look at Tower of the Hand.

The Western civilizations are proud of the wealth and progress. Too often people forget that there is also a dark side. There is a quite impressive example over at Dark Roasted Blend.
I find the post eerie and inspiring at the same time. It would fit to a fantasy novel. Now visit
Exploring the ruins of Gary, Indiana.


That's it for today. Come back next week for more ......

Movies

Hey, it's me Fide. I'm a remote control professional. I'm that fast that I can watch two movies at the same time.
But don't worry. All the stuff I present to you will be shown at normal speed.

I know a lot of people know the following trailer very well. Despite that it was a must for me to show it again. It is such an awesome opener. I can't count how often I watched it. Finally my wife and I found a way to watch episode one to six (Thanks to good friends). We love it!!


It seems there will be a new Spiderman movie which does not look like Spiderman 4. Have a look at following trailer


That's all for today. See you next time....

Quotes

I 'm the Keeper of the minutes. But I don't mind when you call me Kotm. No, no. I don't explain to you how to pronounce.

Today only one quote. Too tired to search for more ...


"Well have secrets. The ones wee keep and the ones that are kept from us.
Spiderman trailer 2011

Well have secrets. The ones wee keep and the ones that are kept from us.

6 comments:

muetzenvariete said...

Well, one thing for sure, "The Amazing Spiderman" for me isn't even amazing enough to get me into the theater. Come on, whole new cast, back to the beginning of the first movie with Tobey Maguire and then what?

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Thanks so much for mentioning my book! I guess my publisher is already working on the book trailer and said it will be ten times more exciting than the first one.

ediFanoB said...

@Alex,

I will mention it as often as possible. I liked the first one and I can't wait to read the second one.

I hope the trailer for CassaFire will be as good or even better as the CassaStar trailer.

ediFanoB said...

@muetzenvariete,

It is provoking to title a trailer in such a way.

Does the world need a Spiderman remake?

All fans will say yes and I say no.

My intention was to show that there will be another Spiderman movie.

muetzenvariete said...

Was I provoking or offending? Hopefully not! *confused ^^

I agree with you, no remake.

ediFanoB said...

@muetzenvariete,

Don't worry. You did not offend me.

I hope I did not offend you with my reply.

In the end we both agree that the world does not need a Spiderman remake.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...