Saturday, July 09, 2011

Edi's Weekend Wave #1128

Hello and welcome to issue #28 of Edi's Weekend Wave.
Not much time for book related internet activities. From Monday to Wednesday I have been on a business trip to UK. On Thursday and Friday I tried to find out the reason why my daughter's PC broke. Not sure whether it is the graphic card or the hard disk or an motherboard error. As the PC is around seven years old it does not make sense to take it to our local hardware dealer for deeper investigation. That means she needs a new PC. But at the moment we can't afford it due to the car we bought one month ago. Maybe we will take some money from her savings bank book ...
Anyway I'm glad that I found a little bit of time to write this Weekend Wave.

ENJOY READING ....

Edi's Guidepost

The Lighthouse
News and information straight from the horse's mouth by Lighthouse keeper ediFanoB

  1. Reading progress
Books
The latest report from our shelf shop net correspondent Bona
  1. Two more books for me
Blogosphere
Messages from the depths of the blogosphere by spheronaut Bona Fide
  1. Stern
  2. Wooden Ceeations
  3. Horror Creations
Movies
Remote control junkie Fide and his zapping highlights
  1. Breaking Bad
Quotes
The member of the house of quotes and a quote himself the Keeper of the minutes ( we call him Kotm) fished for you
  1. German proverbs, sayings and idioms Anger Quotes

The Lighthouse

Travel time is a good opportunity for reading. Instead of planned 490 pages I read 618 pages and I finished a book! With all the awesome epic fantasy books around me I needed a more humorous read. I started to read Getting Old Can Kill You Rita Lakin and I finished it in just two sessions on Saturday and Sunday. I love the Gladdy Gold series!

I'm
- 409 pages in A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin.
No progress

- 309 pages in The River of Shadows by Robert V.S. Redick
Only 259 pages to go. When everything goes well I will finish it next week.

- 450 pages in The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch
Only 269 pages to go. The second book I hope to finish next week.

- 30 pages in A Dance with Dragons by George R.R. Martin.
No comment about the content until July 12th.
Will continue reading next week.

My 2011 halftime report is still in progress like two reviews. I hope to find time to finish these posts within the next days.


Enjoy your weekend ....


Books

Dear readers, I'm the one to tell you about books - only books? What about novellas and other stuff? My name is Bona. I scour shelves, shops and the net for books. If you call me a book whore I would not gainsay you. But be aware I have my own, sometimes elusive taste.

I still receive books. When I returned from my business trip to UK lat week, two new books were waiting for me

Thanks to Tor/Forge.com who sent me a copy of Kitty's Big Trouble (pb, 2011) [ISBN-13: 978-0765365651] edited by Carrie Vaughn. It is the ninth book in the Kitty Norville series about a werewolf named Kitty. Kitty hosts a talk radio advice show for supernaturally disadvantaged. There are plans for at least three more novels. As you assumed this is urban fantasy which is not my favorite part of fantasy. But I must admit that the back of the book sounds interesting .....
"Kitty Norville is back and in more trouble than ever. Her recent run-in with werewolves traumatized by the horrors of war has made her start wondering how long the US government might have been covertly using werewolves in combat. Have any famous names in our own history might have actually been supernatural? She's got suspicions about William Tecumseh Sherman. Then an interview with the right vampire puts her on the trail of Wyatt Earp, vampire hunter.
But her investigations lead her to a clue about enigmatic vampire Roman and the mysterious Long Game played by vampires through the millennia. That, plus a call for help from a powerful vampire ally in San Francisco, suddenly puts Kitty and her friends on the supernatural chessboard, pieces in dangerously active play. And Kitty Norville is never content to be a pawn. . . ." [Back of the book]


Let me say thank you to Miriam Parker from Mulholland Books for sending me a copy of The Revisionists (September 2011) [ISBN-13: 978-0316176728] by Thomas Mullen. I know I posted about the book lat week. Unfortunately I forgot to deliver you the title and some other information. .
"Would you kill to make the world a peaceful place?

Zed is an agent from the future. A place where all of the world's problems have been solved. No hunger. No war. No despair.
His mission is to keep that way. Even if it means ensuring every cataclysm throughout history runs its course, especially one just on the horizon.
Zed's mission will ensnare the lives of a disgraced former spy named Leo; a young lawyer, Tasha, grieving over the loss of her brother; Sari, the oppressed employee of a foreign diplomat; and countless others. But will he finish his final mission before the present takes precedence over a perfect future? One that may have more cracks than he realizes?

The Revisionists is a literary tale of action and intrigue that puts a fresh spin on today's global crises, asking questions about the nature of history and the future, and our own roles in shaping them." [Source]

No more today, see you next week ......

Blogosphere

Hey, I'm Bona Fide. I just came back from my last foray through the blogosphere. What can you expect from me? I tell you: Everything from Art to Fart as long as there is any faint connection to books. And here is some honey from the beehive blogosphere...

One of my current reads is The River of Shadows by Robert V.S. Redick. And the IMS CHATHRAND is a very important ship. In case you are reading the River of Shadows series or you like sailing ships I recommend to read Intricate Ship Sterns: Art on the Ocean over at Dark Roasted Blend. The picture collection is quite impressive.

Wood - such a great material. I'm always impressed what one can do with wood. You like wood? Then I recommend to read
Knock On Wood, Then Drive It! 28 Crazy Wooden Creations
over at web Urbanist.

Do you like horror books? I must say I'm not a friend of horror, especially zombies. Good friend and author Stephen Zimmer told me that he knows a soon to be published intelligent horror book. And this is the book he talked about:
Cinema of Shadows (Trade paperback; August 2011) [ISBN-13: 978-0983740209] by Michael West. You can preorder the book over at Seventh Star Press.
"Welcome to the Woodfield Movie Palace.

The night the Titanic sank, it opened for business…and its builder died in his chair. In the 1950s, there was a fire; a balcony full of people burned to death. And years later, when it became the scene of one of Harmony, Indiana’s most notorious murders, it closed for good. Abandoned, sealed, locked up tight…until the present day.

One momentous night, Professor Geoffrey Burke and his Parapsychology students go to the Woodfield in search of evidence, hoping to find irrefutable proof of a haunting. Instead, they discover that, in this theater, the terrors are not confined to the screen." [Source]
I would not be surprised when I will receive a reviewer copy soon ....
and this is the book trailer. Be warned! You will get frightened minimum twice.


Some people are really fast. I found a first review of Cinema of Shadows over at The Sci-Fi Guys Book Review. In case you would like to read it please follow this link.


That's it for today. Come back next week for more ......

Movies

Hey, it's me Fide. I'm a remote control professional. I'm that fast that I can watch two movies at the same time.
But don't worry. All the stuff I present to you will be shown at normal speed.

Today I present you the trailer of the fourth season of TV series Breaking Bad. Fortunately the previous seasons have been aired in Germany. Not sure when we will get season four on German TV. I expect it sometimes in 2012.



That's all for today. See you next time....

Quotes

I 'm the Keeper of the minutes. But I don't mind when you call me Kotm. No, no. I don't explain to you how to pronounce.

The quote topic of today has nothing to do with my current mood. I found the Anger related quotes randomly. Have a look ...

"Anger makes you smaller, while forgiveness forces you to grow beyond what you were.
Cherie Carter-Scott, "If Love Is a Game, These Are the Rules"

"Eat a third and drink a third and leave the remaining third of your stomach empty. Then, when you get angry, there will be sufficient room for your rage.
Babylonian Talmud, tractate Gittin

"When anger rises, think of the consequences.
Confucius,Chinese philosopher & reformer (551 BC - 479 BC)

4 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Like the quotes this week!

Seak (Bryce L.) said...

I've been meaning to start watching Breaking Bad. My mom, and the rest of my family I guess, just love it.

ediFanoB said...

Alex,

the selection of the quotes depends on my mood an the time available for search.

ediFanoB said...

Seak,

Breaking Bead is a real unusual series. I hope you will like it.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...