Saturday, July 02, 2011

Edi's Weekend Wave #1127

Hello and welcome to issue #27 of Edi's Weekend Wave.
What a week! Two unexpected posts, the unexpected delivery of a book, the final confirmation of a business trip, more sleep than planned, temperatures around 20 degrees Celsius which I prefer, the descending numbers of pages I read and still no real schedule. As you can see a really mixed bag of things. Nevertheless I hope I found some interesting topics for you. To be honest it is exhausting to concentrate on things when this book is waiting for you .....

ENJOY READING ....

Edi's Guidepost

The Lighthouse
News and information straight from the horse's mouth by Lighthouse keeper ediFanoB

  1. Reading progress
  2. What is going on?
Books
The latest report from our shelf shop net correspondent Bona
  1. Two and two equals number of received books
  2. A book ahead
Blogosphere
Messages from the depths of the blogosphere by spheronaut Bona Fide
  1. A review in advance
  2. How to store 4500 books
Movies
Remote control junkie Fide and his zapping highlights
  1. Gringotts and Goblins
  2. Death is not an option
Quotes
The member of the house of quotes and a quote himself the Keeper of the minutes ( we call him Kotm) fished for you
  1. German proverbs, sayings and idioms Quotes .... Kotm delivers words+words+words+...

The Lighthouse

What shall I say? Life is like what we call in Germany a Wundertüte (you may know this as a lucky bag or grab bag). You don't know what to expect. There have been some surprises last week.

Due to my business trip to UK from Monday to Wednesday I will not have time to work on my blog. But I hope to spend more time for reading (airport,plane, train, hotel). I will tell you next end of next week.

My reading progress is like a roller coaster ride. Since a few weeks I'm on the way down. I still wait for the next steep ascent. In sum I read 266 pages in four different books. I'm happy that I found time to finish Redheart by Jackie Gamber. An unexpected YA book with a fresh and vivid story starring dragons and humans.


I'm
- 409 pages in A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin.
I'm thinking about to postpone it ......

- 229 pages in The River of Shadows by Robert V.S. Redick
This is the first book which will accompany on my business trip next week.

- 178 pages in The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch
This is the second book which will accompany on my business trip next week.

- 30 pages in A Dance with Dragons by George R.R. Martin.
No comment about the content until July 12th.
As I mentioned I will be on a business trip to UK next week (Monday to Wednesday)
and I finally decided to leave the book home due to the weight.


Last week I wrote about 2011 half time report. I don't want to bore you with details why it is still not online. There are some details I can tell you so far.
I read 33 books until the end of June 2011. Ten of them belong to the steampunk genre. And I really read one book in German after a long, long time!

However I will not promise you anything because I neither like to disappoint you nor myself.
It is no pleasure when you fall asleep instead of reading and writing. I'm happy about every page I read and every post I write. From January to June I delivered 50 posts. On the one hand less than I wanted and on the other hand more than I expected. I look forward to the second half of 2011, my birthday and my next days off ...


Enjoy your weekend ....


Books

Dear readers, I'm the one to tell you about books - only books? What about novellas and other stuff? My name is Bona. I scour shelves, shops and the net for books. If you call me a book whore I would not gainsay you. But be aware I have my own, sometimes elusive taste.

It is delivery report time! After last week doldrums the post man had to ring the bell four times this week. Two of the books delivered I bought on my own and the other two have been sent by Tor/Forge.com which deserve a big thank you.

Let me start with the Tor/Forge.com books. Both contain short stories.

When you follow my blog regularly you know that urban fantasy does not belong to my favorite genres. With the delivery of Chick Kicks Butt (pb, 2011) [ISBN-13: 978-0765325778] edited by Rachel Caine and Kerrie L. Hughes, I get the opportunity to discover several urban fantasy authors. It is easier to skip a short story than a book in case I don't like it.
"Chicks are awesome—and never more so than when they are kicking some serious vampire/werewolf/demon/monster butt.
Chicks Kick Butt is an anthology that features one of the best things about the urban fantasy genre: strong, independent, and intelligent heroines who are quite capable of solving their own problems and slaying their own dragons (or demons, as the case may be).

Edited by Kerrie Hughes and Rachel Caine, Chicks Kick Butt features original stories from thirteen authors, eleven of whom are New York Times bestsellers:
Rachel Caine (with a story from her bestselling Weather Wardens universe), L.A. Banks, Rachel Vincent, Karen Chance, Lilith Saintcrow, Cheyenne McCray, Susan Krinard, Jeanne Stein, Jenna Black, Susan Krinard, Jeanne Stein, Jenna Black, Elizabeth Vaughan, Carole Nelson Douglas, P.N. Elrod, Nancy Holder" [Source]


The next book looks quite interesting. Read the blurb of NEBULA Awards Showcase 2011 (pb, 2011) [ISBN-13: 978-0765328427] edited by Kevin J.Anderson for more information.
"With this inaugural volume at Tor, the annual Nebula Award collection is reborn as a fiction-only anthology. This collection of nominees for 2010’s Nebula Awards includes all of the prior year’s most celebrated stories, and will be published in time for the 2011 Nebula Awards in May, 2011.

2009’s award winners, announced in May 2010, include Kage Baker’s novella “The Women of Nell Gwynne’s,” Eugie Foster’s novelette “Sinner, Baker, Fabulist, Priest; Red Mask, Black Mask, Gentleman, Beast,” Kij Johnson’s short story “Spar,” plus Paolo Bacigalupi’s novelette, “The Gambler.” " [Source]
I'm eager to read The Women of Nell Gwynne's by Kage Baker.
Of course I will have a look at the other stories.
What do you think about this kind of anthology? Is it a book you have been waiting for?


The next one is the seventh book in a series which has nothing in common with sff - except for me it is a view into future. The older I get the more I think how life will be when I'm 70+. Since I started to read the Gladdy Gold series I wish I will be as spry and funny as Gladdy Gold and her friends. And this is the latest Gladdy Gold adventure: Getting Old Can Kill You (pb, July 2011) [ISBN-13: 978-0440245605] by Rita Lakin.
"Life isn’t all sunny in Fort Lauderdale’s Lanai Gardens. Returning from a blissful double honeymoon with her sister Evvie, Gladdy Gold announces that she wants her new hubby, Jack, to join her detective agency. But Gladdy’s gals say no dice, and soon Ida, Sophie, and Bella are striking out on their own, enrolling in a class to learn how to be real PIs.

But there’s more than enough trouble for two detective agencies when sultry Joyce Steiner moves in, reopening an old rivalry with Arlene Simon, whose husband ran off with Joyce fifty-five years earlier. When Joyce is found murdered, Arlene becomes the prime suspect, and Gladdy and her girls will have to band together if they’re going to prove that the truth is not just elusive but a real killer." [Source]


I think it is not necessary to post more than the cover of the fourth book I received this week:


I like to read about time travel. Therefore I have been pleased when I got the request if I would like to read and review by Thomas Mullen. I know I'm behind with my reviews. But when I promise a review I do not fail in98%.
"Would you kill to make the world a peaceful place?

Zed is an agent from the future. A place where all of the world's problems have been solved. No hunger. No war. No despair.
His mission is to keep that way. Even if it means ensuring every cataclysm throughout history runs its course, especially one just on the horizon.
Zed's mission will ensnare the lives of a disgraced former spy named Leo; a young lawyer, Tasha, grieving over the loss of her brother; Sari, the oppressed employee of a foreign diplomat; and countless others. But will he finish his final mission before the present takes precedence over a perfect future? One that may have more cracks than he realizes?

The Revisionists is a literary tale of action and intrigue that puts a fresh spin on today's global crises, asking questions about the nature of history and the future, and our own roles in shaping them." [Source]


No more today, see you next week ......

Blogosphere

Hey, I'm Bona Fide. I just came back from my last foray through the blogosphere. What can you expect from me? I tell you: Everything from Art to Fart as long as there is any faint connection to books. And here is some honey from the beehive blogosphere...

When do you read book reviews? This week I found a superb post which I must share with you. It is about philosophy. Don't worry it is far beyond to be dry and boring stuff.
over at Dark Roasted Blend. You won't regret.
Last week I posted again about the debut novel of author Daniel Polansky.
Doubleday will publish the book in US and Canada on August 16, 201. Title: LOW TOWN and Hodder & Stoughton will publish the book in UK and Commonwealth on August 18, 2011. Title: THE STRAIGHT RAZOR CURE.
Now you can read a first review of LOW TOWN over at Mad Hatter's Bookshelf & Book Review .

Most readers share one problem: SPACE.
But there is a man who does not have any problem to store his collection of 4500 books.
Read about Jozsef Tari and his extraordinary book collection.

That's it for today. Come back next week for more ......

Movies

Hey, it's me Fide. I'm a remote control professional. I'm that fast that I can watch two movies at the same time.
But don't worry. All the stuff I present to you will be shown at normal speed.

I like Gringotts. You don't know the famous bank founded by the goblin Gringott? If you would like to get more information about Gringotts and his employees then I recommend to watch the following video.


Do you know the British science fiction series Torchwood? Now the fourth mini series is ahead:
Torchwood Miracle Day.
I wanted to show an eleven minute preview video but it is not available in German - really, really disappointing!! In case you live in US then follow this link to watch the preview. All other people including me have to take potluck with the UK launch trailer ....



That's all for today. See you next time....

Quotes

I 'm the Keeper of the minutes. But I don't mind when you call me Kotm. No, no. I don't explain to you how to pronounce.

I Like quotes. And I like that there is a wide range of topics and emotions. Week by week I try to find a few worth to share with you. I'm sure that from time to time you read the same quote again and again. The reason for that is the I don't have a file where I store all these quotes. Most of the time the topic of the quotes I share with you depend on my mood. And today it is a pure salmagundi which is an oxymoron. I'm getting bubbly .... Read, think and have fun with the words I found ...


"CLOCK, n. A machine of great moral value to man, allaying his concern for the future by reminding him what a lot of time remains to him.

A busy man complained one day:
"I get no time!" "What's that you say?"
Cried out his friend, a lazy quiz;
"You have, sir, all the time there is.
There's plenty, too, and don't you doubt it --
We're never for an hour without it."
Purzil Crofe

Ambrose Bierce, The Devil's Dictionary, US author & satirist (1842 - 1914)

"Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by lazy men trying to find easier ways to do something.
Robert Heinlein, Time Enough For Love, US science fiction author (1907 - 1988)

"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die.
Mel Brooks, US actor, comedian, & movie director (1926 - )

"A good name, like good will, is got by many actions and lost by one.
Lord Jeffery

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics..
Benjamin Disraeli, British politician (1804 - 1881)

6 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I'm reading C.S. Friedman's Feast of Souls and really digging it so far.

ediFanoB said...

Alex,
that sounds good. I must admit that C.S. Friedman belongs to the author which I need to discover. I own copies of the Colfire trilogy books. So many books to read ....

RaveAir said...

I think first you should have finish the A game of thrones, than 2, 3 and 4 part of the "A song of ice an fire series". If you read the 5th book first, you'll miss lot of twist and spoil many-many things.

And yes... I'm so, so, so very envy with you, because you have the opportunity to read the A dance with dragons. :)

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Hey Edi! I announced it yesterday - there will be a sequel to CassaStar!

ediFanoB said...

@RaveAir,

I read book 1 to 4 some years ago.
Now I reread book one.
I have been surprised how much I still can remember

ediFanoB said...

@Alex,
thanks a lot for info. I have been on a business trip.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...