Friday, June 03, 2011

Edi's Weekend Wave #1123

Hello and welcome to issue #23 of Edi's Weekend Wave.
You may know the feeling. After my two posts on Monday and Tuesday I have been really motivated to write more posts. But instead I spent my time with reading and my wife. Today is the first step back to the world of books and blogs.

ENJOY READING ....

Edi's Guidepost

The Lighthouse
News and information straight from the horse's mouth by Lighthouse keeper ediFanoB

  1. Reading progress
Books
The latest report from our shelf shop net correspondent Bona
  1. Tor, Tor, Own
Blogosphere
Messages from the depths of the blogosphere by spheronaut Bona Fide
  1. Dwarfs at Seventh Star Press
Movies
Remote control junkie Fide and his zapping highlights
  1. A disappointment
Quotes
The member of the house of quotes and a quote himself the Keeper of the minutes ( we call him Kotm) fished for you
  1. German proverbs, sayings and idioms A quote for my wife ....

The Lighthouse

What did I read in the past three weeks?
During our stay at the Baltic sea I read 660 pages in six days. That means 110 pages per day. Not that bad compared to my plan of 140 pages. The following week I missed again my weekly reading goal of 490 pages. In sum I read 229 pages. But the last week I read 603 pages!



I finished four books:

- The Martian Ambassador by Alan K. Baker
A well done start of a new steampunk series with unexpected fantasy and myth elements.

- Anno Frankenstein by Jonathan Green
The latest Ulysses Quicksilver adventure is full of action and mysterious characters.

- The Dragon's Path (2011) by Daniel Abraham
Daniel Abraham is such an excellent writer. What a great first book in a new series!

- Heresy (2010) S J Parris
I can't wait to read the next Giordano Bruno novel. Oxford in 1385 comes alive.



I'm
- 350 pages in A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin.
No progress.

- 122 pages in The River of Shadows by Robert V.S. Redick
The story continues on a high level

- 116 pages in The Quantum Thief by Hannu Rajaniemi
Chocolate... Yes chocolate plays a role in this intriguing sf novel

- 40 pages in The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch
After reading the prologue I asked myself why it took that long to dive into this book ...


Before my holiday I promised to read and review Celebrity Space by Alain Gomez (short story) until end of May. I must admit I missed my target. I will catch up on soon.


Enjoy your weekend ....


Books

Dear readers, I'm the one to tell you about books - only books? What about novellas and other stuff? My name is Bona. I scour shelves, shops and the net for books. If you call me a book whore I would not gainsay you. But be aware I have my own, sometimes elusive taste.

As I told you beginning of the week I have to reduce the number of books I can buy per month. Therefore I'm glad that I still receive reviewer copies.

This week I received in sum three books. One of them I bought on my own.

Once again a big thank you goes of the pond to Tor/Forge.com for sending me copies of the following two books.

Some weeks ago I received an ARC. Now sent me the US hardcover of The Quantum Thief (hc, US, May 2011) [ISBN-13: 978-0765329493] by Hannu Rajaniemi.
"Jean le Flambeur is a post-human criminal, mind burglar, confidence artist and trickster. His origins are shrouded in mystery, but his exploits are known throughout the Heterarchy - from breaking into the vast Zeus brains of the Inner System to steal their thoughts, to stealing rare Earth antiques from the aristocrats of the Moving Cities of Mars. Except that Jean made one mistake. Now he is condemned to play endless variations of a game-theoretic riddle in the vast virtual jail of the Axelrod Archons - the Dilemma Prison - against countless copies of himself. Jean's routine of death, defection and cooperation is upset by the arrival of Mieli and her spidership, Perhonen. She offers him a chance to win back his freedom and the powers of his old self - in exchange for finishing the one heist he never quite managed . . . The Quantum Thief is a dazzling hard SF novel set in the solar system of the far future - a heist novel peopled by bizarre post-humans but powered by very human motives of betrayal, revenge and jealousy. It is a stunning debut. "[Source]
I recommend to read Adam's review of The Quantum Thief over at The Wertzone. As I own now two copies of the book. Therefore I decided that the The Quantum Thief ARC will be the book for my next giveaway.
I will run the giveaway when I have finished reading The Quantum Thief .......

The Chaos Crystal (US, hc, 2011) [ISBN-13: 978-0765316851] is the final one in the Tide Lord series by Jennifer Fallon. It is always difficult when you get the last book in a series without knowing the previous ones. Therefore I do not know when I will read it.


A mass market paperback - 1256 pages - a weight of 586 gram = book one in The Stormlight Archives. The Way of Kings mmpb, 2011) [ISBN-13: 978-0765365279] by Brandon Sanderson is a"little monster".
"I long for the days before the Last Desolation.
T
he age before the Heralds abandoned us and the Knights Radiant turned against us. A time when there was still magic in the world and honor in the hearts of men.
The world became ours, and we lost it. Nothing, it appears, is more challenging to the souls of men than victory itself.
Or was that victory an illusion all along? Did our enemies realize that the harder they fought, the stronger we resisted? Perhaps they saw that the heat and the hammer only make for a better grade of sword. But ignore the steel long enough, and it will eventually rust away.
There are four whom we watch. The first is the surgeon, forced to put aside healing to become a soldier in the most brutal war of our time. The second is the assassin, a murderer who weeps as he kills. The third is the liar, a young woman who wears a scholar's mantle over the heart of a thief. The last is the highprince, a warlord whose eyes have opened to the past as his thirst for battle wanes.
The world can change. Surgebinding and Shardwielding can return; the magics of ancient days can become ours again. These four people are key.
O
ne of them may redeem us." [Back of the book]
Another big fat novel I want to read. I definitely need to exercise my eyes in following way. Read two books at the same time - one with the right eye and one with the left eye ....

No more today, see you next week ......

Blogosphere

Hey, I'm Bona Fide. I just came back from my last foray through the blogosphere. What can you expect from me? I tell you: Everything from Art to Fart as long as there is any faint connection to books. And here is some honey from the beehive blogosphere...

Do you know this man?


Yes, he is an author and he joined Seventh Star Press.

"Seventh Star Press Proudly Announces the Acquisition of Fantasy Author
D.A. Adams' The Brotherhood of Dwarves Series

Seventh Star Press is proud to announce the addition of fantasy author
D.A. Adams to its family of writers, with the acquisition of The
Brotherhood of Dwarves series.

The Brotherhood of Dwarves and Red Sky at Dawn, the first and second books
of the series, were originally released by Third Axe Media. The two
installments received excellent reviews, and sold very strongly on the
convention circuit. Planned for five books total, the third title in the
series, The Fall of Dorkuhn, will be released in its first edition by
Seventh Star Press. The series is known for its fresh approach to an
iconic fantasy race, blending traditional lore with all-new twists.

“With their outstanding marketing and promotional campaigns, Seventh Star
can provide *The Brotherhood of Dwarves* with the exposure it deserves.
I'm excited and proud to be the newest addition to their stable of
talented writers, ” commented D.A. Adams, regarding his relationship with
the Lexington, Kentucky-based publisher.

The Fall of Dorkuhn continues the story of the dwarf Roskin. In the
newest adventure of the series, Roskin returns home to a kingdom divided
by war with the ogres. On one side, his father desires to restore peace,
but on the other, Master Sondious, seeking revenge for having been
crippled, seeks to escalate the offensive aggression. Roskin and his
friends make a desperate attempt to resolve the growing rift, but unknown
to the dwarves, new and powerful menaces threaten to destroy the entire
kingdom...

Living and working in East Tennessee, D. A. Adams is an established
novelist, a farmer, a professor of English, and has contributed writing to
literary as well as fine art publications. He also maintains an active
blog, entitled "The Ramblings of D. A. Adams".

“D.A. Adams is an outstanding addition to our group of authors,” fellow
Seventh Star Press author Stephen Zimmer commented. “The Brotherhood of
Dwarves series is well-crafted storytelling with compelling characters,
set within a richly developed fantasy setting. It has very strong appeal
to those who like character-driven stories, as well as to fans of epic
fantasy. For those who love seeing dwarves in fantasy literature, it is
immensely rewarding.”

The projected release date window for The Fall of Dorkuhn is late summer
of 2011, in limited hardcover, trade paperback, and several eBook formats,
covering owners of the Kindle, the iPad, the Nook, Sony eReaders, and
other electronic reading devices.

The Seventh Star Press editions of The Brotherhood of Dwarves and Red Sky
at Dawn will receive trade paperback and eBook releases in late summer of
2011, with a hardcover edition of each to follow shortly afterwards.

Books four and five in The Brotherhood of Dwarves series are slated for
tentative releases in late 2012 and 2013.

Updates and additional information can be obtained at the official site
for Seventh Star Press, at www.seventhstarpress.com , or at the author's
site at www.brotherhoodofdwarves.com"
If you want to get more information about the first book in the series - The Brotherhood of Dwarves - I recommend to read the extended review over at Hard Boiled Jim.


That's it for today. Come back next week for more ......


Movies

Hey, it's me Fide. I'm a remote control professional. I'm that fast that I can watch two movies at the same time.
But don't worry. All the stuff I present to you will be shown at normal speed.

My wife and I have been to cinema past week. after 137 minutes we left the cinema really disappointed. We like Johnny Depp and we like the first three Pirates of the Caribbean movies.
We have had expectations. The trailers of On Stranger Tides looked promising. But the result ...
To keep it short the 3D effect looked totally artificial and cheap. Too many boring parts. In a pirate film I expect ships and a lot of water.

Today no new trailers. But in case you would like to get more information about the upcoming Tintin movie the I recommend to visit Tintin Movie News.

That's all for today. See you next time....

Quotes

I 'm the Keeper of the minutes. But I don't mind when you call me Kotm. No, no. I don't explain to you how to pronounce.

I can tell you love is in the air since Edi and his wife returned from their trip to the Baltic Sea.
forced me to seach for a quote for his wife. And that is what I chose ...

"Age does not protect you from love. But love, to some extent, protects you from age.
Jeanne Moreau

1 comment:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Pirates 4 wasn't great, but it was a vast improvement over the last one. (Which I felt was a mess of a movie with a disappointing ending. Sorry, I just hated the ending.)
However, just came from seeing Super 8, and it is the best summer movie yet! Very retro and harkens back to a time when movies had innocence and hope. (Although not for little kids, as it's E.T. meets Cloverfield.)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...