Tuesday, June 07, 2011

Edi's Lighthouse Chatter: Holiday 2011 Bansin

Since 2007 when way stayed several days in London we spent our holidays at home. Last year in August we decided that we definitely need some days off without stress, phone, computer, traffic noise and so on. A good friend recommended the Baltic Sea island Usedom. We decided to rent a holiday flat in Bansin (more info) from May 22nd to 29th 2011. Bansin is a small town with around 2500 inhabitants.

We rented a roofed wicker beach chair for six days and used it several hours per day.
That's me with The Lies of Locke Lamora (mmpb, 2007) [ISBN-13: 978-0553588941] by Scott Lynch in my hands in "our" roofed wicker beach chair. The fine-grained sand led directly to the water.
In the background you can see the Bansin pier. The next picture has been shot from the pier.
We have had a kind of routine. After waking up in the morning we went to a baker and bought fresh breakfast rolls. after breakfast we walked to the beach and entered our beach chair. Mostly we spent three to four hours with looking, sleeping and reading. On two days we have had an extraordinary visitor: A swan!
Despite a water temperature of 14 to 16 degrees Celsius I could not resist to water my feet.
On our way back to the flat we bought fresh strawberries. Delicious, delicious, delicious!!
In the late afternoon we started our long walks (minimum two hours) either around the town or along the beach- imagine kilometers of water and sand without any humans in sight - or along the seafront to the next town Heringsdorf. The last picture has been shot from the Heringsdorf pier in direction to Bansin pier.
Every walk included the visit of our favorite ice cream parlor - cherry, orange, nougat, mocha, maple walnut, stracciatella, pistachio, raspberry, and, and, and, ..... No, no, we did not gain weight.

This was the most relaxing holiday in our life so far. No stress, no traffic noise, no computer. Only my wife and me. There was nothing we had to think about, to decide, to take care on, to be responsible for. And it was impressive how much we have to talk about after twenty years of marriage. It was that good that we decided to go again to Bansin in 2012. But there will be two differences. Next time we will stay two weeks and I will take less books with me.

I posted about my 2011 Holiday Book Bag which contained nine books. I read 660 pages in six days. That means 110 pages per day. Not that bad compared to my plan of 140 pages.

In the end I read two books
- Anno Frankenstein [ISBN-13: 978-1907519451]by Jonathan Green
- The Martian Ambassador (pb, 2011) [ISBN-13: 978-1907777-080] by Alan Baker
and I started to read the following two books
- The Quantum Thief (hc, US, May 2011) [ISBN-13: 978-0765329493] by Hannu Rajaniemi
- The Lies of Locke Lamora (mmpb, 2007) [ISBN-13: 978-0553588941] by Scott Lynch

I hope and wish you find the right place to relax. It seems the older I get the more sensitive to noise I am.

I can't finish this post without saying thank you to my wonderful wife for an extraordinary holiday - I still LOVE YOU after all these years ...

4 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Glad you had an awesome time! Good to unplug now and then - we did it a few weeks ago and it was great.

Sarah (Bookworm Blues) said...

That sounds like a wonderful vacation! So relaxing! The area looks beautiful.

Mark Lawrence said...

I had a holiday in 2003 ... I plan to have another one day. Perhaps in one of those beach chairs! It looks like a great place to unwind.

ediFanoB said...

Hello Alex, Sarah and Mark,

Bansin is a great place to "get rid of the rest of the world".

I look forward to 2012 when we will stay for two weeks :-)))

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...