Saturday, May 07, 2011

Edi's Weekend Wave #1118

Hello and welcome to issue #18 of Edi's Weekend Wave.
Only two weeks left until my wife and I will spend a week at the Baltic sea. When I recall the past week I must say I need it more than ever. One week without phone, computer, street noise and stress. I look forward to next Tuesday (May 10th) when my wife and I will celebrate our 20th wedding anniversary. And we will do it in a more unusual way. Instead of having a party with friends we will visit a special exhibition and the Cologne Zoo. The weather forecast looks promising ...
This my second and last try to write this post after I lost a lot of the content.

ENJOY READING ....

Edi's Guidepost

The Lighthouse
News and information straight from the horse's mouth by Lighthouse keeper ediFanoB

  1. Weak reading progress
  2. What to expect until end of May 2011....
Books
The latest report from our shelf shop net correspondent Bona
  1. Book+book+book+book+book+book+book+book+book received this week
  2. "My hype"
Blogosphere
Messages from the depths of the blogosphere by spheronaut Bona Fide
  1. Fascinating, mysterious, eerie
  2. To repeat something must not be bad: The David Gemmell Legend Award 2011
Movies
Remote control junkie Fide and his zapping highlights
  1. The Green Lantern
  2. Terra Nova
Quotes
The member of the house of quotes and a quote himself the Keeper of the minutes ( we call him Kotm) fished for you
  1. German proverbs, sayings and idioms A single quote ....

The Lighthouse

For the first time since I started I missed my weekly reading goal of 490 pages. In sum I read 468 pages in only four days!!! There was no time for reading in the past three days and only very limited time to go online.

I finished one book last week (my week goes from Saturday to Friday):

- Shameless Wonders by A.P. Stephens
Surprise, surprise I posted my review of Shameless Wonders last Sunday!


I'm
- 350 pages in A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin.
No progress since last Weekend Wave.

- 62 pages in The River of Shadows by Robert V.S. Redick
I lost contact to my surrounding while reading ....

- 80 pages in The Dragon's Path (2011) by Daniel Abraham
I like it a lot - especially captain Marcus Wester ....

- 102 pages in Infernal Devices by K. W. Jeter
First published in 1987 it is still fresh and strange and captivating ....

- 115 pages in Heresy (2010) S J Parris
1583 - a secret book - Giordano Bruno recruited by Sir Francis Walsingham - tasty ....

I hope to finish some of them within the next two weeks because I plan to read other books during my vacation.

Three weeks left in May and the last week I will spend together with my wife at the Baltic sea without computer. What does this mean for the blog?

There will be Weekend Waves on May 14th and 21st. But there will be definitely none on May28th!! But don't worry I will post something instead.

Beside that I desperately want to finish and post some reviews. I know the following list is ambitious but my blog needs some "meat".

Reviews planned
- Among Thieves (2011) by Douglas Hulick
- Thirteen Years Later by Jasper Kent
- Thrall (2010) Steven L. Shrewsbury
- The Falling Machine (2011) by Andrew P. Mayer
- Celebrity Space by Alain Gomez (short story)

During our stay at the Baltic sea I will spend more time for reading as usual. I started the selection process which books I will take with me. I will post about the process and the result soon.


Enjoy your weekend ....


Books

Dear readers, I'm the one to tell you about books - only books? What about novellas and other stuff? My name is Bona. I scour shelves, shops and the net for books. If you call me a book whore I would not gainsay you. But be aware I have my own, sometimes elusive taste.

It seems there is a relation between the time I spend for reading and the number of books I receive. The less I read the more books I receive. I can't remember the last time when I received nine books in one week!

A big thank you goes of the pond to Tor/Forge.com for sending me copies of the following four books.

I never read a book by Christopher Pike so far. Now I received two books at the same time.

Sati (first published in 1990) [ISBN-13: 978-0765331373]
"I once knew this girl who thought she was God. She didn’t give sight to the blind or raise the dead. She didn’t even teach anything, not really, and she never told me anything I probably didn’t already know.
On the other hand, she didn’t expect to be worshipped, nor did she ask for money. Given her high opinion of herself, some might call that a miracle.
I don’t know, maybe she was God. Her name was Sati and she had blonde hair and blue eyes.
For all who meet her, Sati will change everything. Sati may change everything for you." [Source]
To be honest that does not sound like a book I would like to read. My wife is interested in. Will see whether she will like it or not.

The Season of Passage (first published in 1992) [ISBN-13: 978-0765331298]
"A terrifying novel of horror and salvation from the New York Times bestselling author of Bury Me Deep. Dr. Lauren Wagner is eager to take part in the first American manned expedition to Mars, but a mystery awaits the expedition. What happened to the Russians who reached Mars first? And what of the voices Lauren hears?" [Source]
That sounds more interesting. But to be honest it did not make it to my 2011
TBR pile. I swim in a pool of unread books.

I received an ARC of the following book which I did not finish. I talk about The Unremembered (hc, US, April 2011) [ISBN-13: 978-0765325716] by Peter Orullian.
"The gods, makers of worlds, seek to create balance - between matter and energy; and between mortals who strive toward the transcendent, and the natural perils they must tame or overcome. But one of the gods fashions a world filled with hellish creatures far too powerful to allow balance; he is condemned to live for eternity with his most hateful creations in that world's distant Bourne, restrained by a magical veil kept vital by the power of song.
Millennia pass, awareness of the hidden danger fades to legend, and both song and veil weaken. And the most remote cities are laid waste by fell, nightmarish troops escaped from the Bourne. Some people dismiss the attacks as mere rumor. Instead of standing against the real threat, they persecute those with the knowledge, magic and power to fight these abominations, denying the inevitability of war and annihilation. And the evil from the Bourne swells..
The troubles of the world seem far from the Hollows where Tahn Junell struggles to remember his lost childhood and to understand words he feels compelled to utter each time he draws his bow. Trouble arrives when two strangers - an enigmatic man wearing the sigil of the feared Order of Sheason and a beautiful woman of the legendary Far - come, to take Tahn, his sister and his two best friends on a dangerous, secret journey.
Tahn knows neither why nor where they will go. He knows only that terrible forces have been unleashed upon mankind and he has been called to stand up and face that which most daunts him - his own forgotten secrets and the darkness that would destroy him and his world." [Source]
This book was not my cup of tea. I agree with Paul's review over at Blood of the Muse.

I'm afraid I own a copy of the UK paperback edition of the following book. In 2007 author Stephen Hunt started his Jackelian series. Now I received a copy of The Rise of the Iron Moon (hc, US, 2011)[ISBN-13: 978-0765327666] which is the third book in the series.
"How can one plucky orphan girl save the world from destruction?
Born into captivity as a product of the Royal Breeding House, lonely orphan Purity Drake suddenly finds herself on the run with a foreign vagrant after accidentally killing one of her guards. Her mysterious rescuer claims to have escaped from terrible forces who mean to enslave the Kingdom of Jackals, just as they conquered his own nation.
Purity doubts his story, until reports begin to filter through from Jackals' neighbours of the murderous Army of Shadows, marching across the continent and sweeping all before them.But there's more to Purity Drake than meets the eye.
And as Jackals girds itself for war against an army of near-indestructible beasts serving an ancient evil with a terrible secret, it soon becomes clear that the Kingdom's only hope is a strange little orphan girl and the last, desperate plan of an escaped slave from a land, far, far away... " [Source]
Need to check my shelves soon. I read and enjoyed the first two books in the series. Not decided yet when to read it.


The following five books I bought on my own. What a mix! Steampunk, science fiction, epic fantasy, historical thriller, historical crime.

Again a science fiction novel found the way to my shelf. Veteran (pb, 2011) [ISBN-13: 978-0575094116] by Gavin Smith which is at the same time debut novel and first book in the Veteran series.
"Three hundred years in our future, in a world of alien infiltrators, religious hackers, a vast convoying nation of Nomads, city sized orbital elevators, and a cyborg pirate king who believes himself to be a mythological demon Jakob is having a bad day: "Nothing gets in the way of a hangover like being reactivated by your old C.O and told to track down an alien killing machine. The same kind of killing machine that wiped out my entire squad. And now it's in my hometown. My name is Jakob Douglas, ex-special forces. I fought Them. Just like we've all been doing for 60 bloody years. But I thought my part in that was done with. My boss has other ideas. If I didn't find the infiltrator then he'd let the Grey Lady loose on me. And believe me; even They've got nothing on her. So I took the job. It went to shit even faster than normal. And now I'm on the run with this teenage hacker who's had enough of prostitution. The only people I can rely on want to turn the internet into God. And now it turns out that They aren't quite what we'd all thought. I've been to the bottom of the sea and the top of the sky and beyond trying to get to the truth. And I still can't get far enough away from the Grey Lady. All things considered I'd rather be back at home deep in a whiskey bottle." Veteran is a fast paced, intricately plotted violent SF Thriller set in a dark future against the backdrop of a seemingly never ending war against an unknowable and implacable alien enemy." [Source]
I found the blurb intriguing enough to buy the book. I expect a lot of action.


Beside fantasy and science fiction I like to read historical thriller/mystery. One of the series I follow is the The Shardlake series by C.J. Sansom. So far I read the first book. Today I received a copy of Heartstone (pb, 2011) [ISBN-13: 978-0330533799] which is the fifth novel in the series.
"Summer, 1545. England is at war. Henry VIII's invasion of France has gone badly wrong, and a massive French fleet is preparing to sail across the Channel. As the English fleet gathers at Portsmouth, the country raises the largest militia army it has ever seen. The King has debased the currency to pay for the war, and England is in the grip of soaring inflation and economic crisis. Meanwhile Matthew Shardlake is given an intriguing legal case by an old servant of Queen Catherine Parr. Asked to investigate claims of 'monstrous wrongs' committed against a young ward of the court, which have already involved one mysterious death, Shardlake and his assistant Barak journey to Portsmouth. Once arrived, Shardlake and Barak find themselves in a city preparing to become a war zone; and Shardlake takes the opportunity to also investigate the mysterious past of Ellen Fettipace, a young woman incarcerated in the Bedlam. The emerging mysteries around the young ward, and the events that destroyed Ellen's family nineteen years before, involve Shardlake in reunions both with an old friend and an old enemy close to the throne. Events will converge on board one of the King's great warships, primed for battle in Portsmouth harbour: the Mary Rose..." [Source]
It is steampunk time! Anno Frankenstein [ISBN-13: 978-1907519451]by Jonathan Green is the seventh Ulysses Quicksilver adventure.
"In 1998 Magna Britannia remains the undisputed superpower of the world whereas, since the Second Great European War, Hitler's Nazi party has been reduced to the status of an underground terrorist movement. But fifty-five years ago... The Nazis are at the height of their power. Much of Europe has fallen beneath their inexorable march, but with the automaton armies of Magna Britannia poised to invade and bring about a swift end to the war, Germany finds its resources stretched to the limit. What Hitler's legions need now is a miracle. And a miracle may be what they are about to receive; a gift from the future, something that should not exist in the year 1943, for one man has stolen fire from heaven. But another has followed him back from the future to ensure that history follows its pre-determined course. Ulysses Quicksilver finds himself in Anno Frankenstein where the bodies of the fallen are reconstructed and resurrected that they might fight again. Behind enemy lines, Ulysses Quicksilver must infiltrate the most heavily-defended fortress on the planet, and there face an age-old enemy one last time. Should he fail, history will be re-written and Ulysses Quicksilver will cease to exist, having never even been born at all." [Source]
What shall I say? Ulysses Quicksilver is one of my favorite steampunk characters and I can't wait to read how the story continues ...

The last but one book is The Death of Instinct (2010)[ISBN-13: 978-0755344024]by Jed Rubenfeld.
"September 16, 1920. Under a clear blue September sky, a quarter ton of explosives is detonated in a deadly attack on Wall Street. Fear comes to the streets of New York.
Witnessing the blast are war veteran Stratham Younger, his friend James Littlemore of the New York Police Department, and beautiful French radiochemist Colette Rousseau. A series of inexplicable attacks on Colette, a secret buried in her past, and a mysterious trail of evidence lead Younger, Littlemore, and Rousseau on a thrilling international and psychological journey - from Paris to Prague, from the Vienna home of Dr Sigmund Freud to the corridors of power in Washington, DC, and ultimately to the hidden depths of our most savage instincts. As the seemingly disjointed pieces of Younger and Littlemore-s investigations come together, the two uncover the shocking truth about the bombing - a truth that threatens to shake their world to its foundations." [Source]
Some years ago I read and liked his first book: The Interpretation of Murder (2007)[ISBN-13: 978-0755334797].


I must say I like the "my hype" part of the Weekend Wave. There are two debut novels which I try to push a bit.
Last week I posted a bit more about the debut novel of author Daniel Polansky which will be published as (LOW TOWN (US), THE STRAIGHT RAZOR CURE (UK) and Der Herr der Unterstadt (DE).
This week I return to Prince of Thorns (hc, UK, 4th August 2011) [ISBN-13: 978-0007423293] by Mark Lawrence. There are two reasons for that. First of all there is an Interview with Mark Lawrence over at Fantasy Faction.
Secondly today I received my copy of Prinz der Dunkelheit (pb, May 10th 2011, 13 EUR) [ISBN-13: 978-3453528253] which is the German edition.
That means I now own an ARC of the English edition and the official German edition. Look at following photographs.


Both covers have a similar look which I appreciate because wherever you go you will identify the book immediately.


No more today, see you next week ......

Blogosphere

Hey, I'm Bona Fide. I just came back from my last foray through the blogosphere. What can you expect from me? I tell you: Everything from Art to Fart as long as there is any faint connection to books. And here is some honey from the beehive blogosphere...

I assume you like to read fantasy and science fiction. Further on I assume you don't lack imagination. Can you imagine the result when you mix photographs with videos? Go to


There you can compare your imagination with real results. I spent much more time over at WebUrbanist than expected.


Every year there is a discussion about awards. Are they good or bad? Is a juried award better than a public award? Anyhow I recomment to read over a Floor to Ceiling Books.
I read the arguments and I still like the The David Gemmell Legend Award.

And therefore I repeat to spread word about The David Gemmell Legend Award 2011
in order to remind you that the final voting for The David Gemmell Legend Award 2011 is still open.
And these are the shortlists in the three categories:

The MORNINGSTAR Award shortlist for Best Fantasy Newcomer/debut
CHARLTON, Blake - Spellwright (Tor US)
HINKS, Darius - Warrior Priest (The Black Library)
JEMISIN, N.K. - The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms (Orbit UK/US)
PEHOV, Alexey - Shadow Prowler (Tor US)
VICTORIA, Mary - Tymon’s Flight (HarperCollins Australia)

RAVENHEART Award shortlist for best Fantasy Book Jacket/artist

EINARSDOTTIR, Olof Erla - Power & Majesty

LOCKWOOD, Todd - The Ragged Man (Pyr)

NIELSEN, Cliff - The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms

SULLIVAN, Jon - Shadow King (The Black Library)

VICTORIA, Frank - Tymon’s Flight (HarperCollins Australia)


David Gemmell LEGEND Award shortlist

BRETT, Peter V - The Desert Spear (Voyager)
HEITZ, Markus - War the Dwarves (Orbit UK/US)
JORDAN, Robert and SANDERSON, Brandon - Wheel of Time: Towers of Midnight (Orbit UK/Tor US)
PEVEL, Pierre - The Alchemist in the Shadows (Gollancz)
SANDERSON, Brandon - The Way of Kings (Gollancz/Tor US)
WEEKS, Brent - The Black Prism (Orbit UK/US)

Go and VOTE!


That's it for today. Come back next week for more ......


Movies

Hey, it's me Fide. I'm a remote control professional. I'm that fast that I can watch two movies at the same time.
But don't worry. All the stuff I present to you will be shown at normal speed.


Latest Green Lantern trailer. The more trailers I see the more I want to watch the movie.


It is a shame. None of the German broadcast companies develops fantasy and/or science fiction series. In this case I have to look at UK and US. In Fall 2011 FOX will present an new science fiction series which looks like a mix of Jurassic Park, Primeval and Avatar.
The title of the series is TERRA NOVA and this is the plot description plus the first trailer
"The show begins in the year 2149, a time when all life on planet Earth is threatened with extinction. In an effort to save the human race, scientists develop a portal allowing travel 85 million years back in time to prehistoric Earth. The Shannon family (father Jim, his wife Elisabeth, and their three children Josh, Maddy and Zoe) join the tenth pilgrimage of settlers to Terra Nova, the first human colony on the other side of the temporal doorway. However, they are unaware that the colony is in the middle of a group of carnivorous dinosaurs."[Source]






That's all for today. See you next time....

Quotes

I 'm the Keeper of the minutes. But I don't mind when you call me Kotm. No, no. I don't explain to you how to pronounce.

It seems Edi lost the overview. He should know which books he own and which not. I think I found an adequate quote for him ....

"If you don't find it in the index, look very carefully through the entire catalogue.
Author unknown

6 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Green Lantern - June - I am so there!

ediFanoB said...

@Alex,

I hope the whole movie will be as good as the trailers show.

Green Lantern will hit the cinemas in Germany on July 28th.

Mark Lawrence said...

I have my German copies of 'Prince of Thorns' now and I've learned new things! Germans use >> << for "" in dialogue (3 years of German at school never taught me that!) and they orient the wording on the spine opposite to that on UK/US books!

ediFanoB said...

Hi Mark,

that is quite interesting. To be honest neither my wife nor I recognized it.
I don't know when German publisher started to use >> << instead of ""
I remember that around 1970 „ ‟ has been used in books. And that is what I learned in school. Follow this link where you can see examples.

I'm no expert. Therefore I recommend to to read Non_English usage of quotation marks.

Simcha said...

Happy Anniversary! I hope you and your wife have a wonderful vacation. I've also been meaning to read Game of Thrones but I just never seem to be in the right mood to get started on such a long and heavy series. I did recently finish Among Thieves which I really enjoyed and I'm sure you will as well.

ediFanoB said...

Hi Simcha,
thank you for your kind words.Like you I enjoyed Among Thieve a lot. I work on the review.
I hope you will get in the right mood for A Game of Thrones soon. It is such a great read.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...