Saturday, April 30, 2011

Edi's Weekend Wave #1117

Hello and welcome to issue #17 of Edi's Weekend Wave.
This is the last issue in April 2011 after a mixed week. After a great Easter Weekend I had to work more than expected which influenced my reading and reviewing - especially reviewing. I'm afraid there will be only a few reviews ready to post until my holiday. Nevertheless I work on it.

ENJOY READING ....

Edi's Guidepost

The Lighthouse
News and information straight from the horse's mouth by Lighthouse keeper ediFanoB

  1. Don't miss ....
  2. Blog content, reading progress
  3. What to read next?
Books
The latest report from our shelf shop net correspondent Bona
  1. Books received this week
  2. "My hype"
Blogosphere
Messages from the depths of the blogosphere by spheronaut Bona Fide
  1. This Summer Winter is Coming
  2. The David Gemmell Legend Award 2011
  3. Interviews related to books I'm interested in
Movies
Remote control junkie Fide and his zapping highlights
  1. The Game of Thrones title sequence
  2. Transformers 3
  3. X-Men: First Class
Quotes
The member of the house of quotes and a quote himself the Keeper of the minutes ( we call him Kotm) fished for you
  1. German proverbs, sayings and idioms Money quotes....

The Lighthouse

Even with two days without touching a book I read - thanks to Easter Weekend - incredible 630 pages last week!!


I finished two books last week:
- Among Thieves (2011) by Douglas Hulick.
This book is definitely the best fantasy debut I read in 2011 so far!!

- Out of the Dark by David Weber
That was a mixed bag. I liked the alien parts of the book a lot. The human parts included a way too much military abbreviations for my taste. The final part of the book has been surprising but unbelievable from my point of view.


Beside that I'm

- 350 pages in A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin.
I love it.

- 269 pages in Shameless Wonders by A.P. Stephens
My plan is to finish the book tonight (Saturday, April 30th)

- 18 pages in The River of Shadows by Robert V.S. Redick
That will definitely change in the next days .....

Only three books in progress and one nearly finished. I'm missing steampunk and history thriller/mystery.... That leads directly to the question what I will read next.
First choice is simple because it is one of my April choices: The Dragon's Path (2011) by Daniel Abraham. The second one will be one of the books I received last week. Which means I will return to steampunk. But I still need to decide about my next history thriller/mystery.


Enjoy your weekend ....


Books

Dear readers, I'm the one to tell you about books - only books? What about novellas and other stuff? My name is Bona. I scour shelves, shops and the net for books. If you call me a book whore I would not gainsay you. But be aware I have my own, sometimes elusive taste.

All four books I received within last week I bought on my own. They all have in common that they are related to steampunk.

I posted twice (link one, link two) about the following two books.


Infernal Devices (pb, 2011) [ISBN-13: 978-0857660978] by K. W. Jeter
"It all began when the Brown Leather Man, a mysterious being with a secret older than humankind, asked proper Victorian London gentleman George Dower to repair a weird device. How coud George have known that this was but one of the many infernal devices his genius father had built, and that he himself would soon be pursued by former clients of his father? For George had always been the unsuspecting key to his father's incredible plans, a key that others would like to possess - from the automaton who wore George's own face to the mad Lord Bendray, bent on using George to destroy the entire Earth." [Source]

Morlock Night (pb, 2011) [ISBN-13: 978-0857661005] by K. W. Jeter
"JUST WHAT HAPPENED WHEN THE TIME MACHINE RETURNED?
At the end of Wells' classic,tale, the traveller returned to the far future in search of his Eloi love. Having acquired his device for themselves, the brutish Morlocks have come back to Victorian England to feed upon docile humanity. But inthe hour of England's greatest need, the legends say, its greatest heroes will also return, to fight against its total destruction." [Back of the book]
A big thank you goes to Angry Robots for bringing back these books to print including new covers and new introductions and afterwords.

The last but one is the second book in the Hidden Star series. Once again I bought the next book in a series without reading the first one. I bought The Hidden Goddess (2011) [ISBN-13: 978-0553592665] by M K Hobson because the blurb sounded as promising as the one for the first book.
"Like it or not, Emily has fallen in love with Dreadnought Stanton, a New York Warlock as irresistible as he is insufferable. Newly engaged, she now must brave Dreadnought's family and the magical elite of the nation's wealthiest city. Not everyone is pleased with the impending nuptials, especially Emily's future mother-in-law, a sociopathic socialite. But there are greater challenges still: confining couture, sinister Russian scientists, and a deadless Aztec goddess who dreams of plunging the world into apocalypse. With all they must confront, do Emily and Dreadnought have any hope of a happily-ever-after?" [Back of the book]
By the way the first novel The Native Star (2011) [ISBN-13: 978-0553592658] is still available.
Maybe the mix of history, fantasy, and romance set in the Wild, Wild West is also something for you ....


Let me introduce to you the last book I received which is at the same time the first one in the brand new series The Ministry Of Peculiar Occurrences.


"These are dark days indeed in Victoria’s England. Londoners are vanishing, then reappearing, washing up as corpses on the banks of the river Thames, drained of blood and bone. Yet the Ministry of Peculiar Occurrences- the Crown’s clandestine organisation whose baliwick is the strange and unsettling- will not allow its agents to investigate. Fearless and exceedingly lovely Eliza D Braun, however, with her bulletproof corset and a disturbing fondness for dynamite, refuses to let the matter rest..and she’s prepared to drag her timorous new partner, Wellington Books along with her into the perilous fray.
For a malevolent brotherhood is operating in the deepening London shadows, intent upon the enslavement of all Britons. And Books and Braun- he with his encyclopedic brain and she with her remarkable devices- must get to the twisted roots of a most nefarious plot… or see England fall to the Phoenix!" [Back of the book]
You would like to get more information about Phoenix Rising (pb, 2011) [ISBN-13: 978-0062049766] by Pip Ballantine and Tee Morris? Then I recommend to visit The Ministry Of Peculiar Occurrences or to have a look at the first seventy pages by clicking on following picture. Enjoy!

Browse Inside this book
Get this for your site


Last week I told you again about Prince of Thorns (hc, UK, 4th August 2011) [ISBN-13: 978-0007423293] by Mark Lawrence. It is one of the two 2011 debut novels I try to push a bit even I have not read one of them.

The second book is the debut novel of author Daniel Polansky. I have been as impressed by the blurb as several publishers in different countries.
"Drug dealers, hustlers, brothels, dirty politics, corrupt cops . . . and sorcery. Welcome to Low Town.
In the forgotten back alleys and flophouses that lie in the shadows of Rigus, the finest city of the Thirteen Lands, you will find Low Town. It is an ugly place, and its cham­pion is an ugly man. Disgraced intelligence agent. Forgotten war hero. Independent drug dealer. After a fall from grace five years ago, a man known as the Warden leads a life of crime, addicted to cheap violence and expensive drugs. Every day is a constant hustle to find new customers and protect his turf from low-life competition like Tancred the Harelip and Ling Chi, the enigmatic crime lord of the heathens.
The Warden’s life of drugged iniquity is shaken by his dis­covery of a murdered child down a dead-end street . . . set­ting him on a collision course with the life he left behind. As a former agent with Black House—the secret police—he knows better than anyone that murder in Low Town is an everyday thing, the kind of crime that doesn’t get investi­gated. To protect his home, he will take part in a dangerous game of deception between underworld bosses and the psy­chotic head of Black House, but the truth is far darker than he imagines. In Low Town, no one can be trusted." [Source]
Information from the author's website (including additional annotations):

LOW TOWN will be published in the US and Canada by Doubleday on August 16, 2011.

The same book will be published simultaneously in the UK and Commonwealth by Hodder & Stoughton under a different title, THE STRAIGHT RAZOR CURE.
Attention: As far as I know this is not the final UK cover

The German translation will be published in Germany by Piper under the title Der Herr der Unterstadt on September 29th, 2011.

Translations are also forthcoming in the following languages, with the respective publishers in parenthesis:
French (Bragelonne)
Spanish (Planeta/Ediciones Minotauro)
Croatian (Znanje)
Polish (Papierowy Ksiezyc)
Czech (Euromedia)
Russian (Eksmo)

And finally this is the book trailer:


In this case I tend to go for the German paperback edition. One reason is the price ... But there is still some time left until I have to decide.

No more today, see you next week ......

Blogosphere

Hey, I'm Bona Fide. I just came back from my last foray through the blogosphere. What can you expect from me? I tell you: Everything from Art to Fart as long as there is any faint connection to books. And here is some honey from the beehive blogosphere...

This Summer Winter is coming ...



On Monday, May 2nd, 2011 the final voting for The David Gemmell Legend Award 2011 opens.
And these are the shortlists in the three categories:

The MORNINGSTAR Award shortlist for Best Fantasy Newcomer/debut
CHARLTON, Blake - Spellwright (Tor US)
HINKS, Darius - Warrior Priest (The Black Library)
JEMISIN, N.K. - The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms (Orbit UK/US)
PEHOV, Alexey - Shadow Prowler (Tor US)
VICTORIA, Mary - Tymon’s Flight (HarperCollins Australia)

RAVENHEART Award shortlist for best Fantasy Book Jacket/artist

EINARSDOTTIR, Olof Erla - Power & Majesty

LOCKWOOD, Todd - The Ragged Man (Pyr)

NIELSEN, Cliff - The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms

SULLIVAN, Jon - Shadow King (The Black Library)

VICTORIA, Frank - Tymon’s Flight (HarperCollins Australia)


David Gemmell LEGEND Award shortlist

BRETT, Peter V - The Desert Spear (Voyager)
HEITZ, Markus - War the Dwarves (Orbit UK/US)
JORDAN, Robert and SANDERSON, Brandon - Wheel of Time: Towers of Midnight (Orbit UK/Tor US)
PEVEL, Pierre - The Alchemist in the Shadows (Gollancz)
SANDERSON, Brandon - The Way of Kings (Gollancz/Tor US)
WEEKS, Brent - The Black Prism (Orbit UK/US)

Go and VOTE!


Interviews! A nice topic. Once a while I like to read them. But I don't feel I'm able to conduct one. Fortunately there are fellow blogger who do interviews well. Today I would like to recommend three of them.
As mentioned above one of my current reads is The River of Shadows by Robert V.S. Redick. I like to read when Robert is talking about the books of his series. Checkout the interview over at Mira's List.

The next interview reminded my of an outstanding review project: Monarchies of God series by Paul Kearney. Shame on me! I really hope to find some time for it during my upcoming holiday.
Anyway I highly recommend to read Paul Kearney. There is a great new interview with Paul Kearney over at Pat's Fantasy Hotlist which you should not miss even you have not read a single line by Paul Kearney.

The last interview I would like to recommend today is an example for a series which I totally missed. It is also the story of success. It shows that it is possible to start with a small publisher and to end with a contract from one of the big publishers. I talk about Michael J. Sullivan and his The Riyra Revelations series. The series will be republished and this time I will not miss it because I ordered the books in advance ..... And know read the great interview Riyria Revelations Redux: An Interview with Michael J. Sullivan over at Stomping on Yeti.


That's it for today. Come back next week for more ......


Movies

Hey, it's me Fide. I'm a remote control professional. I'm that fast that I can watch two movies at the same time.
But don't worry. All the stuff I present to you will be shown at normal speed.

After all these years a movie series comes to its end and it will be in 3D. I don't think I have to tell you something about the Harry Potter phenomenon. The trailer shows breathtaking action.


So far I have not seen one of the Transformer movies. But I must admit I like the Transformers 3: Dark of the Moon Trailer. Maybe this has something to do with age. The older I get the more action I like ....


A new theatrical trailer of the next movie in the X-Men universe is available. X-Men: First Class will hit the cinemas in June (US =3rd and Germany = 9th). It contains a few new scenes.


That's all for today. See you next time....

Quotes

I 'm the Keeper of the minutes. But I don't mind when you call me Kotm. No, no. I don't explain to you how to pronounce.

Like millions of other people I would like to have a bit more of it. You don't know what I mean? MONEY ....

"Finance is the art of passing money from hand to hand until it finally disappears.
Robert W. Sarnoff

"Money frees you from doing things you dislike. Since I dislike doing nearly everything, money is handy.
Groucho Marx, US comedian with Marx Brothers (1890 - 1977)

"No one can earn a million dollars honestly.
William Jennings Bryan, US lawyer, orator, & politician (1860 - 1925)

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...