Saturday, April 16, 2011

Edi's Weekend Wave #1115

Hello and welcome to issue #14 of Edi's Weekend Wave.
A not so funny Friday. The PC of my daughter "died". Which means you could push the power button and nothing happened. Fortunately our local hardware dealer offers a system check. To keep the story short. To my relief we need to replace the power supply only. It could have been worse. I'm sure most of you know this feeling when your PC does not work any longer.

ENJOY READING ....

Edi's Guidepost

The Lighthouse
News and information straight from the horse's mouth by Lighthouse keeper ediFanoB

  1. Don't miss ....
  2. Blog content, reading progress
Books
The latest report from our shelf shop net correspondent Bona
  1. Books received this week
Blogosphere
Messages from the depths of the blogosphere by spheronaut Bona Fide
  1. Great offer from Seventh Star Press
  2. 111th birthday
  3. April Author Round Table
Movies
Remote control junkie Fide and his zapping highlights
  1. Something instead of TV and cinema
Quotes
The member of the house of quotes and a quote himself the Keeper of the minutes ( we call him Kotm) fished for you
  1. German proverbs, sayings and idioms "Green" quotes....

The Lighthouse

In case you did not recognize, I run my second giveaway since last Monday.

The Price

[ISBN-13: 978-0765316561]



Even I did not find time to read on Friday I read in sum 524 pages last week! To be honest I spent most of my reading time for Dark Jenny by Alex Bledsoe and Thirteen Years Later by Jasper Kent . which is more than impressive when you take into account that there was no time for reading on Friday and very limited time on Thursday. Instead of reading I spent time at work. Happens!

This week I finished one book:
- Dark Jenny by Alex Bledsoe
I loved it. Eddie LaCrosse in top form. I read it in only four sessions!


I still wait for my reviewer copy of The River of Shadows by Robert V.S. Redick.

Now I need to decide which book to read next:
The Dragon's Path (2011) by Daniel Abraham or Among Thieves (2011) by Douglas Hulick

Beside that I'm

- 203 pages in A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin.
NO progress last week

- 438 pages in Thirteen Years Later by Jasper Kent.
I expect to finish this fabulous book within this weekend.

- 201 pages in Shameless Wonders by A.P. Stephens
NO progress lat week which is a bit sad because it is a good one.

- 70 pages in Out of the Dark by David Weber
I must admit I prefer to read the "alien chapters"

Tomorrow you will get my review of .... depends on which one I get ready.


Enjoy your weekend ....


Books

Dear readers, I'm the one to tell you about books - only books? What about novellas and other stuff? My name is Bona. I scour shelves, shops and the net for books. If you call me a book whore I would not gainsay you. But be aware I have my own, sometimes elusive taste.

Last week I received in sum four books in different formats - hard cover, paperback, pdf and doc. That means two printed copies and two electronic copies.

Let me start with the electronic ones. Alain Gomez sent my a copy of Celebrity Space [ASIN: B004HD66P4] which is the first story in the Space Hotel Series.
"Set in the not too distant future, a worker hopes that his new job at the spaceport will allow him to get his life back on track. While taking passengers to the space hotel "Moonwalk", a collision with an unknown object brings his dreams... and possibly his life... to a screeching halt." [Source]


I planned to read and review Celebrity Space within May 2011.


The next one is Universal Genius: Collected fiction of Erin Lale (2011) [ASIN: B004SY9MF8] by Erin Lale.
"A Time Yarns Universe Book
Most of the stories in this collection are reprinted from magazines that are currently out of print.

Short stories in this anthology:
-The Timelessness Machine (reprinted from The Sterling Web), Hard sf
- Obamaphone, Alternate history
- In the Beginning Was the Microchip (reprinted from The Science Fiction Store Club Magazine),
Hard sf / cyberpunk
- The Betrayed (reprinted from Mythic Circle), Fantasy
- Stopover on Monta Colony, (reprinted from The Science Fiction Store Club Magazine), Sf
- Gina (reprinted from Collector’s Club Newsletter), Sf
- Russian Sauna (reprinted from Shadowlane), Magical realism
- Infinity is a Function of This Universe, Hard sf
- Tsim, Sf" [Source]
I planned to read and review this anthology in June 2011.


The lust but one is the hard cover. Let me say thank you to Tor/Forge.com for sending me a totally unexpected copy of by Catherynne M. Valente.
"Koschei the Deathless is to Russian folklore what devils or wicked witches are to European culture: a menacing, evil figure; the villain of countless stories which have been passed on through story and text for generations. But Koschei has never before been seen through the eyes of Catherynne Valente, whose modernized and transformed take on the legend brings the action to modern times, spanning many of the great developments of Russian history in the twentieth century. Deathless, however, is no dry, historical tome: it lights up like fire as the young Marya Morevna transforms from a clever child of the revolution, to Koschei's beautiful bride, to his eventual undoing. Along the way there are Stalinist house elves, magical quests, secrecy and bureaucracy, and games of lust and power. All told, Deathless is a collision of magical history and actual history, of revolution and mythology, of love and death, which will bring Russian myth back to life in a stunning new incarnation." [Source]
To be honest after reading the blurb I'm not sure if I want to read this book or not. I will read some reviews within the next days. Maybe they will help me to get a clearer view on the book.


The last book for today is a reviewer copy. A big thank you goes to author Mark Lawrence for sending my a signed reviewer copy of his debut novel Prince of Thorns (hc, UK, 4th August 2011) [ISBN-13: 978-0007423293] and Prinz der Dunkelheit (pb, UK, 9th May)[ISBN-13: 978-3453528253] by Mark Lawrence. Some time ago I posted about xxx because of the different publishing dates.

"Prince of Thorns is the first volume in a powerful new epic fantasy trilogy, original, absorbing and challenging.
Before the thorns taught me their sharp lessons and bled weakness from me I had but one brother, and I loved him well. But those days are gone and what is left of them lies in my mother's tomb. Now I have many brothers, quick with knife and sword, and as evil as you please. We ride this broken empire and loot its corpse. They say these are violent times, the end of days when the dead roam and monsters haunt the night. All that's true enough, but there's something worse out there, in the dark. Much worse. From being a privileged royal child, raised by a loving mother, Jorg Ancrath has become the Prince of Thorns, a charming, immoral boy leading a grim band of outlaws in a series of raids and atrocities. The world is in chaos: violence is rife, nightmares everywhere. Jorg has the ability to master the living and the dead, but there is still one thing that puts a chill in him. Returning to his father's castle Jorg must confront horrors from his childhood and carve himself a future with all hands turned against him. Mark Lawrence's debut novel tells a tale of blood and treachery, magic and brotherhood and paints a compelling and brutal, and sometimes beautiful, picture of an exceptional boy on his journey toward manhood and the throne." [Source]
In this case I will do something special. I will buy a copy of the German edition. Then I will read UK and German edition, review them and compare them. That will be quite interesting.
And I will do something more: After German publishing date I will go to a German book store and try to take photos. Of course I will post them ...


No more today, see you next week ......

Blogosphere

Hey, I'm Bona Fide. I just came back from my last foray through the blogosphere. What can you expect from me? I tell you: Everything from Art to Fart as long as there is any faint connection to books. And here is some honey from the beehive blogosphere...

This is about a publisher, a small publisher who tries to win new readers. It is about different fantasy sub genres or to be more precise it is about YA Fantasy, Heroic Fantasy, Epic Fantasy and Epic Urban Fantasy. It is about six books - I read five of them and the sixth is on my shelf. It is about an inviting offer: eBooks for $1,99 respectively $2.99 !!

THE OFFICIAL ANNOUNCEMENT


What is your favorite flavor of fantasy? Do you like character-driven YA Fantasy? Do you like heroic fantasy with loads of action? Do you like epic fantasy with a wide cast of characters, lands, and lore? How about epic scale urban fantasy?

You get an electronic copy of each of the following books for just $1.99 !!












To celebrate the launch week of Jackie Gamber's Redheart, we're announcing a very special sale. The good news is that we've got a title in each of the above areas of fantasy, so that you can try Seventh Star Press eBooks out in this special sale that will be running through Mid-June. What are you waiting for? Just two bucks and you'll be on a grand adventure. Find out what readers around the world are discovering...there's a growing constellation of quality titles at Seventh Star Press!

...and if you like Crown of Vengeance or The Exodus Gate, the second books in the series are just $2.99 during this special offer!












That is your opportunity to put your nose into good books for an extraordinary price.


111 years ago the US Navy bought their first submarine. A date worth to remember especially for steampunk fans. As you may know since the story of captain Nemo submarines are an important part of steampunk. In case you want to know more (and maybe you would like to see some pictures) I recommend to have a look at following post:



Last week I talked about discovering of interesting features on other blogs. Today I would like to recommend an on going post series over at Pyr-o-mania author round table. The idea is simple and appealing at the same time. A couple of authors answer the same questions. The guests of the April Author Round Table are Adrian Tchaikovsky (Shadows of the Apt series), Pierre Pevel (The Cardinal's Blade series), and Joel Shepherd (Trial of Blood and Steel series). It is a good opportunity to get more information about the opinion of several authors to specific questions at the same time. You should have a look.


That's it for today. Come back next week for more ......


Movies

Hey, it's me Fide. I'm a remote control professional. I'm that fast that I can watch two movies at the same time.
But don't worry. All the stuff I present to you will be shown at normal speed.

This week I don't show you trailers. Instead I would like to talk about a passion beside books. A passion I share with my wife. Don't worry it is all G-rated. We like to play video games and own several consoles from Nintendo and Sony. Recently my wife began to play Final Fantasy VI onPS2. That aroused my interest and I decided to play Final Fantasy V. And then it happened.
Last week our good old PS2 bit the dust. That was really sad because we own a lot of PS2 games including nearly all Final Fantasy parts. Within minutes we decided we needed a replacement. Fortunately a revised version is still available. My wife phoned several shops and there was one only a few Kilometers away. We went there and bought one. Since then we play every day and we enjoy it a lot. My wife is still playing Final Fantasy VI. But I changed my opinion. I started to play Final Fantasy VII instead of Final Fantasy V. My favorite part of the series is Final Fantasy IX.
I know a lot of people will say that the graphics are not of the state of the art. I agree but I say in the same breath a good game consists of more than graphic. Story, music and game play of every Final Fantasy part are extraordinary. And there are still many active sites where you get maps, hints, pictures and more.

The following 30 minute video shows you the history of the Final Fantasy series.


In case you do not like that long videos I offer you an alternative. The Final Fantasy story divided into three parts. Here we go

PART ONE


PART TWO


PART THREE


What's about you? Do you own old consoles and do you still play the old games?


That's all for today. See you next time....

Quotes

I 'm the Keeper of the minutes. But I don't mind when you call me Kotm. No, no. I don't explain to you how to pronounce.

Today I feel optimistic. In a lot of cultures the color green symbolizes hope. Therefore I thought I would be a nice idea to present you a few "green" quotes ...

"A hedge between keeps friendship green.
German Proverb

"An optimist is a person who sees a green light everywhere, while a pessimist sees only the red stoplight. . . The truly wise person is colorblind.
Albert Schweitzer,French philosopher & physician (1875 - 1965)

"It isn't easy being green.
Kermit the Frog

2 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I'll look for Seventh Star Press titles on my iPad!

ediFanoB said...

@Alex,
I hope you will be successful.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...