Saturday, March 26, 2011

Edi's Weekend Wave #1112

Hello and welcome to issue #12 of Edi's Weekend Wave.
I know I'm a bit crazy. I really like my blog even it maybe does not look like. Beside all the pressure, stress and long working days I manage somehow to read books but there is not much time and power left for reviews which are fundamental for a book blog. And the cold I caught is not helpful. Nevertheless I found some topics worth sharing with you.

ENJOY READING ....

Edi's Guidepost

The Lighthouse
News and information straight from the horse's mouth by Lighthouse keeper ediFanoB

  1. Blog content, reading progress
Books
The latest report from our shelf shop net correspondent Bona
  1. Books received this week
  2. A special and unique THANK YOU
Blogosphere
Messages from the depths of the blogosphere by spheronaut Bona Fide
  1. A bit more than simply copy and paste
  2. Confusing publishers - Update
  3. Japan - Appeal
Movies
Remote control junkie Fide and his zapping highlights
  1. Sucker Punch
  2. Your Highness
  3. Captain America: The First Avenger
  4. Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides
Quotes
The member of the house of quotes and a quote himself the Keeper of the minutes ( we call him Kotm) fished for you
  1. German proverbs, sayings and idioms Fatigue quotes....

The Lighthouse

Reading slowed down a lot last week. I barely managed to read 492 pages which is jut two pages above my target. And additionally I stopped reading a book which does not happen that often. Beside that I received some good news related to books. I still fight with writing my promised reviews. I spent time on the internet only every second day. That makes it ambitious to write a post like this one.
The reviews of following books are still in progress:
- Doomsday Book by Connie Willis
- TimeRiders: The Doomsday Code by Alex Scarrow

This week I finished one book and stopped reading another one.

I finished the ARC of The Falling Machine (May 2011)[ISBN-13: 978-1616143756] by Andrew P. Mayer.
My first impression on GOODREADS:
" I read an ARC and as the book will be published in May you have to wait for my full review until May. But of course I would like to share with you my first impressions.
The Society of Steam is the next steampunk series I definitely will follow.
It seems there is a kind of trend to use New York instead of London as setting for steampunk novels. I just remember Gods of Manhattan by Al Ewing and Ghosts of Manhattan by George Mann. These three novels have more in common than one thinks at first sight.
Superheroes, a lot of action, New York and steam. They are all most entertaining.
The specific of The Falling Machine is the development of a female heroine in a misogynistic society and an extraordinary automaton.
The end is totally surprising because it is a mix of cliffhanger and partial solution. There is only one way out: Read the next book.
Like Gods of Manhattan it is too short.
All in all a well done debut novel. "



Last week I wrote about the ARC of The Unremembered (hc, US, 12th April 2011) [ISBN-13: 978-0765325716] by Peter Orullian:
"What is my impression after 50 pages (which are in fact only 34 pages because the numbering of the ARC starts with page 17) ? It is good and it is promising but so far I have not been blown away."
These 34 pages contain the prologue and the first chapter. This week I read the following twelve chapters. And then I gave up. Why?
I wrote on Goodreads:
" After a long time it happened again that I did not finish a book.

I know there is some hype around THE UNREMEMBERED and Tor is pushing it a lot.

I stopped reading after 98 pages.

I remember when I read the blurb for the first time. I decided that I did not want to read this book. So I did not make it to my list. Then I received an ARC from Tor and I still did not want to read it. Finally my wife convinced me to give THE UNREMEMBERED a try and I did. I should have trusted my first impression ...

It started promising with the prologue but then ...
- I never got any connection to one of the characters
- I did not find the rhythm of the book
- I felt separated from the story
- The style of the author was not my cup of tea

We can't love every book. "


Every book I start to read gets a 50 page chance to convince me to continue reading. In case of The Unremembered I nearly doubled. Maybe it will be getting better after 200 or 300 pages.
But with all the unread books I own I'm not willing to read so many pages until I maybe start to like a book.


Instead of The Unremembered I started to read Thirteen Years Later (pb, this edition 2011) [ISBN-13: 978-0553819595] by Jasper Kent which is the second book in the Danilov Quintet.
"The Danilov Quintet is a series of five novels spanning Russian history from the French invasion of 1812 to the revolutions of 1917. The books recount the adventures of Aleksei Ivanovich Danilov and his descendants and their battle with a monstrous creature of Russian legend - the voordalak." [Source]
So far I read 80 pages and the story continues convincing on a high level.

Furthermore I put my nose into another steampunk book which I won in a giveaway last year. So far I'm 46 pages in The Horns of Ruin ( pb, 2010) [ISBN-13: 978-1616142469] by Tim Akers.
"Eva Forge is the last paladin of a dead God. Morgan, God of battle and champion of the Fraterdom, was assassinated by his jealous brother, Amon. Over time, the Cult of Morgan has been surpassed by other gods, his blessings ignored in favor of brighter technologies and more mechanical miracles. Eva was the last child dedicated to the Cult of Morgan, forsaken by her parents and forgotten by her family. Now she watches as her new family, her Cult, crumbles all around her.
When a series of kidnappings and murders makes it clear that someone is trying to hasten the death of the Cult of Morgan, Eva must seek out unexpected allies and unwelcome answers in the city of Ash. But will she be able to save the city from a growing conspiracy, one that reaches back to her childhood, even back to the murder of her god?" [Source]
This a very interesting mix of steampunk, magic and fast paced adventure. I like that the main character is female. Eva Forge is extraordinary ...


Beside that I'm
- 245 pages in First Rider's Call by Kristen Britain
Kristen Britain does not disappoint her readers. This is epic fantasy with magic and a strong heroine.

- 164 pages in A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin.
What shall I say? It is simply brilliant. I must admit that there is one character whom I see now in a completely different light: Tyrion Lannister




Enjoy your weekend ....


Books

Dear readers, I'm the one to tell you about books - only books? What about novellas and other stuff? My name is Bona. I scour shelves, shops and the net for books. If you call me a book whore I would not gainsay you. But be aware I have my own, sometimes elusive taste.

There are two new books on my shelf. I need to be more specific. They are new to me but the have been published fir the first time several years ago.

The first one is the third book in the simply brilliant A Song of Ice and Fire series by George R.R. Martin: A Storm of Swords [ISBN-13: 978-0553573428]
Thank you to Tor/Forge.com for sending me a copy of The Tomb (pb, this issue 2011) [ISBN-13: 978-0765327406] by F Paul Wilson.
"Ingram Much to the chagrin of his girlfriend, Gia, Repairman Jack doesn't deal with electronic appliances--he fixes "situations" for people, often putting himself in deadly danger. His latest project is recovering a stolen necklace, which carries with it an ancient curse that may unleash a horde of Bengali demons. Jack is used to danger, but this time Gia's daughter Vicky is threatened. Can jack overcome the curse of the yellow necklace and bring Vicky safely back home?" [Source]
So far I never read a book by F Paul Wilson. But I know he wrote a lot of books.


Like most of you I also wait for books. Don't worry that will be no rant about long awaited books!
Unbelievably it is true that there are series where I have read and reviewed all books released so far. I read about series where I stay in contact with the authors. And these are authors who take care on their readers and reviewers. Both series await the publishing of the third book.
Both authors contacted me within last week in order to check whether I received a reviewer copy or not. Unfortunately I did not. Without hesitation both authors organized that I will receive the copies within next week. Are you nosy? Any idea of whom I'm talking about? I think the hints are too meager.

My honest thank you goes to Robert V.S. Redick who is the author the epic and stunning Chathrand Voyage series.
The third book in the Chathrand Voyage series is less than a month away:
The River of Shadows!!!
On the left you see the UK cover and on the right the US cover.

US version will be published on
19th April 2011 with ISBN-13:
978-0345523822
UK version will follow on
21st April with ISBN-13:
978-0575081840

I can't wait to read how the story will continue. In case you want to read the blurb follow this link. I recommend to read the first two books before:
The Red Wolf Conspiracy (read my review) and
The Rats and the Ruling Sea (read my review).


My honest thank you goes to Alex Bledsoe who is the author of the superb blend of noir and fantasy series Eddie LaCrosse Mystery. I can't wait to put my nose into the third adventure of Eddie LaCrosse. Dark Jenny [ISBN-13: 978-0765327437] will be published end of March 2011. That means it is nearly impossible for me to read and review it until then.
"Freelance Sword Jockey Eddie LaCrosse is in the wrong place at the wrong time while conducting a undercover investigation on the island kingdom of Grand Bruan. When a poisoned apple kills a member of the Queens personal guard, Eddie becomes the prime suspect in the murder. He must do do some fast talking to keep his head attached to his shoulders. Trying to clear his name and find the real killer, Eddie becomes embroiled in a nasty political scandal. Someone is trying to ruin Queen Jennifer, and they don't care who they kill on the way." [Source]
I recommend to read the first two books in the series before. I read and reviewed
The Sword-Edged Blonde, (read my review) and

Burn Me Deadly, (read my review)


Of course I will read and review the books as soon as I get them. I know I have a review backlog. This backlog includes one book which I promised to review.
Stephen Zimmer, herewith I promise to review Dream of Legends directly after my outstanding two time travel reviews!


No more today, see you next week ......


Blogosphere

Hey, I'm Bona Fide. I just came back from my last foray through the blogosphere. What can you expect from me? I tell you: Everything from Art to Fart as long as there is any faint connection to books. And here is some honey from the beehive blogosphere...

Where do I get all the stuff from which I post. I read blogs, check sites, read newsletters, follow people on Twitter and Facebook, stay in contact with authors and more.
With a weekly post I can't deliver the latest news in time and that is not my aim. I present you stuff which first of all I like and where I think it could be interesting for you. So it happens again and again that I write about things which you maybe have seen before on several other blogs.
To be honest what I do not do is a plain copy and paste. I always try to say it in my own words and I try to add own content. Today I want to show you two examples.

On Friday, March 25th 2011, Adam released following post over at The Wertzone: Cover art for David Chandler's ANCIENT BLADES TRILOGY which aroused my interest and I think which would be also interesting for you. But I do not want to adorn myself with borrowed plumes.
Therefore I kindly ask you to read Adam's post first before you continue to read my post .....
.....
.....
.....
Finished reading?

Fine. Of course I could have copied and pasted Adam's post and then redesign it. Instead I chose this way to share the information with you. But I have to add some more information. As I'm really interested in this new series I started to check advanced order conditions over at amazon.de. At first I have been confused because I did not understand why two editions of each book should be published in the same month. My first explanation was that these are the UK and US editions (You need to know that amazon.de mostly offers UK and US edition of a book). And yes indeed, there will be two editions: UK paperback (pb) and US mass market paperback (mmpb). Beside the slightly different publishing date and the different covers there is one more main difference between the two editions: THE PRICE!
The mmpb are cheaper than the pb (in UK £ 3.00; in DE 4.00 EURO). That leads me to the question am I willing to pay 4.00 EURO more for the cover and a 19 days earlier delivery.
I must say NO! Therefore I will go for the US mmpb edition.
In case you order your books at amazon.com, you have no choice because amazon.com does not offer the UK paperback!!
Anyhow I can't let you go without links to each book:
Den of Thieves, A Thief in the Night, Honour Among Thieves

Since I read The Ten Thousand and Monarchies of God series by Paul Kearney I'm a big fan of his books. I was a bit sad when I found out that his Sea Beggars series has never been finished due to problems with the publisher. I remember that I asked Paul Kearney if there will be hope that we get the whole series published by another publisher. He replied that there is hope and time will tell.
You may understand that I have been more than happy when I read Adam's post Paul Kearney's SEA-BEGGAR series to be completed. The two previous published books plus the final third volume will be published in one omnibus. For details please read Adam's post.


Last week I posted about the different publishing dates of UK and German edition of Prince of Thorns (hc, UK, 4th August 2011) [ISBN-13: 978-0007423293] and Prinz der Dunkelheit (pb, UK, 9th May)[ISBN-13: 978-3453528253] by Mark Lawrence.
I could not believe that the German edition will be published before the UK edition. Therefore I sent a mail to German publisher Heyne and I received an answer. Heyne confirmed that German edition will be published on 9th May 2011!! Therefore I ordered a copy of the German edition in advance. That means after a long time I will read a book in German. My plan is to write the review in German and in English. In case I can get a reviewer copy of the UK edition I will write a special review where I will compare the two editions. We will see ....

"Prince of Thorns is the first volume in a powerful new epic fantasy trilogy, original, absorbing and challenging.
Before the thorns taught me their sharp lessons and bled weakness from me I had but one brother, and I loved him well. But those days are gone and what is left of them lies in my mother's tomb. Now I have many brothers, quick with knife and sword, and as evil as you please. We ride this broken empire and loot its corpse. They say these are violent times, the end of days when the dead roam and monsters haunt the night. All that's true enough, but there's something worse out there, in the dark. Much worse. From being a privileged royal child, raised by a loving mother, Jorg Ancrath has become the Prince of Thorns, a charming, immoral boy leading a grim band of outlaws in a series of raids and atrocities. The world is in chaos: violence is rife, nightmares everywhere. Jorg has the ability to master the living and the dead, but there is still one thing that puts a chill in him. Returning to his father's castle Jorg must confront horrors from his childhood and carve himself a future with all hands turned against him. Mark Lawrence's debut novel tells a tale of blood and treachery, magic and brotherhood and paints a compelling and brutal, and sometimes beautiful, picture of an exceptional boy on his journey toward manhood and the throne." [Source]

Of course I follow the news about Japan. But I think there are far more better sources where you can get information from than my blog. And of course there are a lot of opportunities where you can donate for the people in Japan. So why I mention this topic?

Because I think it is worth to share word about what blogger Amanda Rutter (of Floor to Ceiling Books), author Louis Morgan, Solaris editor Jenni Hill, blogger Ro Smith and writer Alasdair Stuart have done with the launch of the 'Genre for Japan' appeal:

"From 28th March 2011, we will be auctioning special, rare and unique items donated by people who love genre just as much as you do: trust us – you don’t just want these things. You need

them. You do. What are they? You’ll just have to wait and see…

All proceeds from the auctions will go to the Japan Tsunami Appeal run by the British Red Cross. In the interests of transparency, we will be posting full details on a separate page on the site as we progress." [Source]


It is no secret that I'm a big fan of the PAX BRITANNIA steampunk series by Jonathan Green. That is the reason why I present you Jonathan's Genre for Japan contribution.


That's it for today. Come back next week for more ......


Movies

Hey, it's me Fide. I'm a remote control professional. I'm that fast that I can watch two movies at the same time.
But don't worry. All the stuff I present to you will be shown at normal speed.

In the past weeks I mentioned again and again Sucker Punch. I was really looking forward to see the film. Now more and more reviews are popping up. So far I did not fin a positive one. It seems the trailers promise more than one finally gets.

Dear readers, did anyone of you see Sucker Punch? In case of yes please let me know what you think about it. I'm totally indecisive whether to see Sucker Punch or not.


I think the humor of Your Highness is not everyone's taste. I definitely like it.....
<a href="http://video.msn.com/?mkt=us&from=sp&fg=shareEmbed&vid=741da3f6-e99d-421b-b537-bdbf45a87a9c&src=FLCP:sharebar:embed" target="_new" title="Exclusive: 'Your Highness' Trailer (Mature Audiences)">Video: Exclusive: 'Your Highness' Trailer (Mature Audiences)</a>.

More and more comic film adaption find their way to the big screen. I did not read the comic but the Captain America: The First Avenger looks promising ... And I like Tommy Lee Jones .....



The last trailer for today does not need any additional information. I liked the previous movies and I'm sure I will like Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tide too .....



That's all for today. See you next time....

Quotes

I 'm the Keeper of the minutes. But I don't mind when you call me Kotm. No, no. I don't explain to you how to pronounce.

Sorry, today only a few quotes because I'm so tired. What do we need? Optimism ...

"The place where optimism most flourishes is the lunatic asylum.
Havelock Ellis, English sexual psychologist (1859 - 1939)

"The optimist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible worlds; and the pessimist fears this is true.
James Branch Cabell, US essayist & novelist (1879 - 1958)

"The reason we all like to think so well of others is that we are all afraid for ourselves. The basis of optimism is sheer terror.
Oscar Wilde, Irish dramatist, novelist, & poet (1854 - 1900)

"Many an optimist has become rich by buying out a pessimist.
Robert G. Allen

"An optimist is the human personification of spring.
Susan J. Bissonette

2 comments:

Aubrey said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
ediFanoB said...

Hello Aubrey,

any reason why you removed your comment?
I received the text of your comment by mail and from my point of you it was a kind comment.

Anyhow thank you for stopping by.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...