Saturday, March 19, 2011

Edi's Weekend Wave #1111

Hello and welcome to issue #11 of Edi's Weekend Wave.
You ma have noticed that I use four digits for the numbering in the post title. First two digits show the year and the following two digits show the issue. 1111 is something that we call in Germany a Schnapszahl. The official translation would be multidigit number with all digits identical. But that is not the meaning of Schnapszahl. Schnaps is the German word for schnapps and Zahl is the German word for digit. Germans use the word Schnapszahl for numbers like 1111.
I think you can imagine why. If not take a pen and paper. The write down 11 and start to drink schnapps. As soon as you see 1111 instead of 11 you have a Schnapszahl.
Anyhow it is not necessary to drink schnapps before you read the Weekend Wave.

ENJOY READING ....

Edi's Guidepost

The Lighthouse
News and information straight from the horse's mouth by Lighthouse keeper ediFanoB

  1. Blog content, reading progress
Books
The latest report from our shelf shop net correspondent Bona
  1. Books received this week
  2. More Victorianna or another series I lost track of
Blogosphere
Messages from the depths of the blogosphere by spheronaut Bona Fide
  1. March Author Round Table
  2. Confusing publishers
  3. The last but one in a series is no Easter egg
  4. Impressive postcards from the future
Movies
Remote control junkie Fide and his zapping highlights
  1. The Trench
Quotes
The member of the house of quotes and a quote himself the Keeper of the minutes ( we call him Kotm) fished for you
  1. German proverbs, sayings and idioms The Words of the Houses ....

The Lighthouse

What a week! It was something like expect the unexpected. I spent more time as expected at work which had an direct impact on my internet activities and on writing reviews. I know I promised you three reviews until end of March. Fortunately I did not promise you precise dates. That means I still have the opportunity to keep my promise to present you the reviews of
- Doomsday Book by Connie Willis
- TimeRiders: Day of the Predator by Alex Scarrow
- TimeRiders: The Doomsday Code by Alex Scarrow

Don't ask me me how I managed it to read 642 pages last week! I could not believe it when I summed up my daily figures. Yes, I have a sheet of paper where I note my daily reading progress.

I finished two books which are now part of my list of unwritten reviews.
- Dream of Legends by Stephen Zimmer
I wrote on Goodreads:
"What a book!
A moderate beginning followed by a middle part where I thought I will get lost in information. I read a lot of pages twice or thrice because I was afraid to miss something. I changed my reading habit a bit after an email exchange with author Stephen Zimmer. The end of the book (the last quarter) turned to be like the first book in the series which I liked a lot.
After the promising end I look forward to read book three in the series. "

- Dreams of Steam, anthology engineered by Kimberly Richardson
I wrote on Goodreads:
"Surprise, surprise. I read the whole book. Unusual? In this case yes because it contains short stories. I must admit that I struggled to read short stories in the past.
But this collection convinced me. There are two stories in form of poems which I think are good but not my cup of tea.
All in all refreshing and entertaining views in to the world of steam.

My reading menu for the next week(s):

I'm
- 141 pages in First Rider's Call by Kristen Britain
Only a small progress compared to last week. I spent a lot of time to finish the two books mentioned above.

- 127 pages in the ARC of The Falling Machine (May 2011)[ISBN-13: 978-1616143756] by Andrew P. Mayer.
Steampunk, super heroes, a female heroine and an extraordinary automaton. I fell in love with the book from the first page. I'm sure to finish it within next week.

- 51 pages in the ARC of The Unremembered (hc, US, 12th April 2011) [ISBN-13: 978-0765325716] by Peter Orullian
You may have noticed that there is some hype around this book. Tor is promoting it.
I recommend to visit the official Peter Orullian website which delivers a lot of information.
And some minutes ago I discovered a brand new interview with Peter Orullian over at Pat's Fantasy Hotlist.
What is my impression after 50 pages (which are in fact only 34 pages because the numbering of the ARC starts with page 17) ? It is good and it is promising but so far I have not been blown away.

I started to read - it is indeed a reread - a book which belongs to my all time favorites. And whether I want or not I compare these two books.

- 108 pages in A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin.
What shall I say? It is simply brilliant.
There are many, many people who started to reread A Song of Ice and Fire. And there will be also many people reading it for the first time.
Anyhow if you do not want to read it alone, I recommend to read
Hopefully Someone Knows the Lyrics: Announcing a New Blog Series on Tor.com by Leigh Butler

Never heard about A Song of Ice and Fire? Then watch following video:



Enjoy your weekend ....


Books

Dear readers, I'm the one to tell you about books - only books? What about novellas and other stuff? My name is Bona. I scour shelves, shops and the net for books. If you call me a book whore I would not gainsay you. But be aware I have my own, sometimes elusive taste.

In sum I received no book this week. Good-bye!

No, no! Instead I like to talk about a series I lost track of. In 2007 author Stephen Hunt started his Jackelian series with The Court of the Air (2007)[ISBN-13: 978-0007232185].
"A hugely engaging adventure set in a Victorian-style world - a fantastical version of Dickens - that will appeal to fans of Susanna Clarke and Philip Pullman.
Two orphans are more than they seem. And one megalomaniac will stop at nothing to find them...
When Molly Templar witnesses a brutal murder at the brothel she has just been apprenticed to, her first instinct is to return to the poorhouse where she grew up. But there she finds her fellow orphans butchered, and it slowly dawns on her that she was in fact the real target of the attack.
For Molly carries a secret deep in her blood, a secret that marks her out for destruction by enemies of the state. Soon Molly will find herself battling a grave threat to civilization which draws on an ancient power thought to have been quelled millennia ago.
Oliver Brooks has led a sheltered life in the home of his merchant uncle. But when he is framed for his only relative's murder he is forced to flee for his life. He is accompanied by Harry Stave, an agent of the Court of the Air - a shadowy organization independent of the government that acts as the final judiciary of the land, ensuring that order prevails.
Chased across the country, Oliver finds himself in the company of thieves, outlaws and spies, and gradually learns more about the secret that has blighted his life, but which may also offer him the power to avert the coming catastrophe.
Their enemies are ruthless and myriad, but Molly and Oliver are joined by indomitable friends in this endlessly inventive tale full of drama, intrigue and adventure." [Source]

I read the book in September 2008 and wrote on Goodreads:
Two kids of magic, a lot of blood, a lot of politics, steam driven machines, no black and white scheme. No read for a rainy Saturday afternoon.
I'm impressed and I will definitely read the sequels.


The series continued with The Kingdom beyond the Waves (2008)[ISBN-13: 978-0007232215].
"Professor Amelia Harsh is obsessed with finding the lost civilization of Camlantis, a legendary city from pre-history that is said to have conquered hunger, war and disease with the creation of a perfect pacifist society.
But when she returns home to Jackals from her latest archaeological misadventure she finds that the university council has stripped her of her position in retaliation for her heretical research.
Without official funding, Amelia has no choice but to accept the offer of patronage from the man she blames for her father's bankruptcy and suicide, the fiercely intelligent Abraham Quest. He has found evidence that suggests the Camlantean ruins are buried under one of the sea-like lakes that dot the murderous jungles of Liongeli.
Amelia undertakes an expedition deep into the dark heart of the jungle, blackmailing her old friend Commodore Black into ferrying her across the huge river of the Shedarkshe in his ancient u-boat.
With an untrustworthy crew of freed convicts, Quest's force of fiercesome female mercenaries on board and a lunatic steamman safari hunter acting as their guide, Amelia's luck seems to be going from bad to worse. And she's as yet unaware that her quest for the perfect society is about to bring her own world to the brink of destruction..." [Source]

I read the book in June 2009. I want to write a review but I never did. Shame on me!

But of course I bought a copy of The Rise of the Iron Moon (2009)[ISBN-13: 978-0007232239] which is the third book in the series.
"How can one plucky orphan girl save the world from destruction?
Born into captivity as a product of the Royal Breeding House, lonely orphan Purity Drake suddenly finds herself on the run with a foreign vagrant after accidentally killing one of her guards. Her mysterious rescuer claims to have escaped from terrible forces who mean to enslave the Kingdom of Jackals, just as they conquered his own nation.
Purity doubts his story, until reports begin to filter through from Jackals' neighbours of the murderous Army of Shadows, marching across the continent and sweeping all before them.But there's more to Purity Drake than meets the eye.
And as Jackals girds itself for war against an army of near-indestructible beasts serving an ancient evil with a terrible secret, it soon becomes clear that the Kingdom's only hope is a strange little orphan girl and the last, desperate plan of an escaped slave from a land, far, far away... " [Source]
The copy of the book sits somewhere on my shelf - unread. I think that is a problem when books wander from the front of the shelf to the back of the shelf due to the fact that new books always stand in front.

In the meantime the paperback edition of book four Secrets of the Fire Sea (2011)[ISBN-13: 978-0007289660] is available.
"A tale of high adventure and derring-do set in the same Victorian-style world as the acclaimed The Court of the Air and The Rise of the Iron Moon.
The isolated island of Jago is the only place Hannah Conquest has ever known as home. Encircled by the magma ocean of the Fire Sea, it was once the last bastion of freedom when the world struggled under the tyranny of the Chimecan Empire during the age-long winter of the cold-time.
But now this once-shining jewel of civilization faces an uncertain future as its inhabitants emigrate to greener climes, leaving the basalt plains and raging steam storms far behind them. For Hannah and her few friends, the streets of the island's last occupied underground city form a vast, near-deserted playground. But Hannah's carefree existence comes to an abrupt halt when her guardian, Archbishop Alice Gray, is brutally murdered in her own cathedral.
Someone desperately wants to suppress a secret kept by the archbishop, and if the attempts on Hannah's own life are any indication, the killer believes that Alice passed the knowledge of it onto her ward before her saintly head was separated from her neck.
But it soon becomes clear that there is more at stake than the life of one orphan. A deadly power struggle is brewing on Jago, involving rival factions in the senate and the island's most powerful trading partner. And it's beginning to look as if the deaths of Hannah's archaeologist parents shortly after her birth were very far from accidental.
Soon the race is on for Hannah and her friends to unravel a chain of hidden riddles and follow them back to their source to save not just her own life, but her island home itself." [Source]
I added the book to my to buy list.


And now I found out that book five Jack Cludie [ISBN-13: 978-0007289646] will be published in July 2011. As I normally don't buy hardcover I have to wait until 2012.
"A tale of high adventure and derring-do set in the same Victorian-style world as the acclaimed The Court of the Air and The Secrets of the Fire Sea.
Thanks to his father's gambling debts, young Jack Keats finds himself on the streets and trying to survive as a pickpocket, desperate to graft enough coins to keep him and his two younger brothers fed. Following a daring bank robbery gone badly awry, Jack narrowly escapes the scaffold, only to be pressed into Royal Aerostatical Navy. Assigned to the most useless airship in the fleet, serving under a captain who is most probably mad, Jack seems to be bound for almost certain death in the far-away deserts of Cassarabia.
Meanwhile, on the other side of the world, Omar ibn Barir, the slave of a rich merchant lord finds his life turned upside down when his master's religious sect is banned. Unexpectedly freed, he survives the destruction of his home to enter into the service of the Caliph's military forces -- just as war is brewing. Two very similar young men prepare to face each other across a senseless field of war. But is Omar the enemy, or is Jack's true nemesis the sickness at the heart of the Caliph's court?
A cult that hides the deadly secret to the origins of the gas being used to float Cassarabia's new aerial navy. If Jack and his shipmates can discover what Cassarabia's aggressive new regime is trying to conceal, he might survive the most horrific of wars and clear his family's name. If not!"[Source]
Maybe this is a series for you. This definitely no lightweight. For all books except book five sample chapters are available. Just follow the [Source] links.


No more today, see you next week ......


Blogosphere

Hey, I'm Bona Fide. I just came back from my last foray through the blogosphere. What can you expect from me? I tell you: Everything from Art to Fart as long as there is any faint connection to books. And here is some honey from the beehive blogosphere...

Last week I forgot to mention the March Author Round Table over at Pyr-o-mania.
Sam Sykes ( Black Halo), M.D. Lachlan (Wolfsangel) and Mark Hodder (The Curious Case of the Clockwork Man, don't miss my review) answered following questions:
"-How much planning do you do before you write?
-Do you find stories begin more from a character, a setting, or something else?
-How is writing a second book different than writing a first book?
-What are some of your favorite genre tropes? How do you use them or subvert them in your own work?
-Seen any good movies lately?" [Source]
I found the answers worth reading, even I did not read a book by M.D. Lachlan and Sam Sykes so far.

Sometimes I find publishers confusing.....
Author Mark Lawrence left a comment on issue #10 of the Weekend Wave. His debut novel
Prince of Thorns (hc, UK, 2011) [ISBN-13: 978-0007423293] has not been published yet.
"Prince of Thorns is the first volume in a powerful new epic fantasy trilogy, original, absorbing and challenging.
Before the thorns taught me their sharp lessons and bled weakness from me I had but one brother, and I loved him well. But those days are gone and what is left of them lies in my mother's tomb. Now I have many brothers, quick with knife and sword, and as evil as you please. We ride this broken empire and loot its corpse. They say these are violent times, the end of days when the dead roam and monsters haunt the night. All that's true enough, but there's something worse out there, in the dark. Much worse. From being a privileged royal child, raised by a loving mother, Jorg Ancrath has become the Prince of Thorns, a charming, immoral boy leading a grim band of outlaws in a series of raids and atrocities. The world is in chaos: violence is rife, nightmares everywhere. Jorg has the ability to master the living and the dead, but there is still one thing that puts a chill in him. Returning to his father's castle Jorg must confront horrors from his childhood and carve himself a future with all hands turned against him. Mark Lawrence's debut novel tells a tale of blood and treachery, magic and brotherhood and paints a compelling and brutal, and sometimes beautiful, picture of an exceptional boy on his journey toward manhood and the throne." [Source]

Due to info on Mark's site it will be published in August 2011 in several countries. For me it is a bit unusual to see that a book will be published in several languages at the same time. The German edition Prinz der Dunkelheit [ISBN-13: 978-3453528253]will be published by Heyne.
And now we come to the interesting question: Can we trust publisher?
HarperCollins UK shows the 4th August 2011 as the publishing date.
Heyne shows the 9th May 2011 as the publishing date for the German edition. and to my surprise it will be a paperback for 13 Euro. That is exactly 5.99 Euro cheaper than the UK hard cover.

To be honest when this is true, I will definitely buy the German edition instead of the UK edition.
So far I'm not convinced. Therefore I sent a mail to German publisher Heyne. I will keep you informed.


One month to go until Easter, which means in Germany a long weekend from Friday to Monday.
And also one month to go until the publishing date of the third and last but one book in a epic fantasy series. I talk about the epic and stunning Chathrand Voyage series by Robert V.S. Redick.
It all began with The Red Wolf Conspiracy (read my review).
It continued with The Rats and the Ruling Sea (read my review).

And the third and last but one book in the Chathrand Voyage series is only a month away.
I can't wait to read The River of Shadows!!!
On the left you see the UK cover and on the right the US cover.

US version will be published on
19th April 2011 with ISBN-13:
978-0345523822
UK version will follow on
21st April with ISBN-13:
978-0575081840

As promised Robert V.S. Redick delivered two audio recordings.
Both files are uploaded to filedropper where you can download them for free.

The first one is a short version. It contains the beginning of The River of Shadows read by Robert V.S. Redick. Of course the passage read is spoiler free. In order to download the short version

The second one is longer AND contains spoilers! Let me explain why. This version includes a special ten minute recap of The Red Wolf Conspiracy and The Rats and the Ruling Sea. Of course this can't be done without spoilers. The longer version is especially for those people who read both books some time ago and now need a reminder without rereading the books.
In order to download the long version FOLLOW THIS LINK

There will be more goodies until the release date. I will keep you informed. In the meantime I recommend to read the whole series. The Red Wolf Conspiracy and The Rats and the Ruling Sea are available in paperback.


Once a while I recommend posts over at WebUrbanist. There you can find really impressive pictures and articles. I do not want to talk much about today's recommendation because the pictures speak for themselves. Have a look and think about


That's it for today. Come back next week for more ......


Movies

Hey, it's me Fide. I'm a remote control professional. I'm that fast that I can watch two movies at the same time.
But don't worry. All the stuff I present to you will be shown at normal speed.

I admit I wait for the visual orgy named Sucker Punch. Today I show you the animated short film The Trenches:

This has a taste of steampunk ....

That's all for today. See you next time....

Quotes

I 'm the Keeper of the minutes. But I don't mind when you call me Kotm. No, no. I don't explain to you how to pronounce.

Today neither quotes nor proverbs. I'm impressed by the rereading of A Game of Thrones. Therefore I decided to present you today the words of the houses ...


"Ours is the Fury
House Baratheon

"Winter Is Coming
House Stark

"Hear Me Roar!
House Lannister

"As High As Honor
House Arryn

"Family, Duty, Honor
House Tully

"Growing Strong
House Tyrell

"We Do Not Sow
House Greyjoy

"Unbowed, Unbent, Unbroken
House Martell

"Fire and Blood
House Targaryen

4 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Sucker Punch is going to rock!
And I wonder why US and UK covers often differ?

ediFanoB said...

Alex,

it is the same with different book titles for US and UK.
It is even less understandable for someone like me who is no inhabitant of these countries.

I know that there are a lot of differences between American English and British English. Therefore I understand why there are different editions.

But title and cover? I think this is a question for publishers.


SUCKER PUNCH !! SUCKER PUNCH !!
SUCKER PUNCH !! SUCKER PUNCH !!
SUCKER PUNCH !! SUCKER PUNCH !!
SUCKER PUNCH !! SUCKER PUNCH !!
SUCKER PUNCH !! SUCKER PUNCH !!
SUCKER PUNCH !! SUCKER PUNCH !!
SUCKER PUNCH !! SUCKER PUNCH !!
SUCKER PUNCH !! SUCKER PUNCH !!
SUCKER PUNCH !! SUCKER PUNCH !!
SUCKER PUNCH !! SUCKER PUNCH !!
SUCKER PUNCH !! SUCKER PUNCH !!
SUCKER PUNCH !! SUCKER PUNCH !!
SUCKER PUNCH !! SUCKER PUNCH !!
SUCKER PUNCH !! SUCKER PUNCH !!
SUCKER PUNCH !! SUCKER PUNCH !!
SUCKER PUNCH !! SUCKER PUNCH !!

Seak (Bryce L.) said...

Wow, what a Weekend Wave. Where to start? I'm so pumped about Suckerpunch, thanks for posting that animated short, hadn't seen that one yet. Also, as a rarity, I actually like the US cover better for Reddick's newest book. This doesn't happen often. :)

ediFanoB said...

Hey Bryce,

other people post every day and I post once a week.
That is one of the reasons why my posts are a bit longer from time to time.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...