Saturday, March 05, 2011

Edi's Weekend Wave #1109

Hello and welcome to issue #09 of Edi's Weekend Wave.
February is gone. But we still have minus degrees in the night. It has been a tough week for me. Will tell you a bit more later on.
And now

ENJOY READING ....

Edi's Guidepost

The Lighthouse
News and information straight from the horse's mouth by Lighthouse keeper ediFanoB

  1. Blog content, reading progress
  2. More Lighthouses: Update
Books
The latest report from our shelf shop net correspondent Bona
  1. Four: second, second, twelfth, last
Blogosphere
Messages from the depths of the blogosphere by spheronaut Bona Fide
  1. Tuesday, 12th July 2011
  2. The Birth of Steampunk
  3. Steampunkopedia
Movies
Remote control junkie Fide and his zapping highlights
  1. Apollo 18
Quotes
The member of the house of quotes and a quote himself the Keeper of the minutes ( we call him Kotm) fished for you
  1. German proverbs, sayings and idioms Random Quotes related to Food ....

The Lighthouse

Last week I did not reach my target of 490 pages. On Thursday and Friday I neither read a book nor I switched on my notebook. I have been too tired. A tribute to long and exhausting working days. Fortunately I read a lot on the other five days of the week. In sum I read 489 pages. That means I missed my target by one page.
Two days without notebook means also two days without checking Google Reader. C'est la vie.
But the good thing is that I have a fortune cookie for you on upcoming Sunday, 6th March.
Don't forget to come back on Sunday .....


I finished following book and added it to my list of unwritten reviews:

- Hellhole by Brian Herbert and Kevin J. Anderson
A great classic space opera. Entertaining but with a weak third quarter.
I found this part a way too predictable. But that will not hinder me to
read the next book in the series - whenever it will be written and published.

I'm
- 227 pages in Dream of Legends by Stephen Zimmer
I read only 17 pages last week which is a bit sad.

- 262 pages in Dissolution by C.J. Sansom
Only 177 pages to go. Great stuff. I like main character Matthew Shardlake and his sidekick Mark Poer a lot. Impressive characterization and an extraordinary depiction of England in 1537.

- 38 pages in Dreams of Steam, anthology engineered by Kimberly Richardson
I have problems with short stories. But in this case I have been surprised. I read the first two stories so far and enjoyed them. I like to read while I'm on the treadmill in the gym. Dreams of Steam fits perfectly for this purpose.

- 33 pages in First Rider's Call by Kristen Britain
I told you about the book and about the decision why I want to read it last week.
Not much to say after 33 pages. I'm back in the world of the Green Riders and the heroine Karigan Galadheon.


With two epic fantasy books I turn into the direction to read a bit more fantasy.

It has been long overdue to check my list of other Lighthouses in the right column of the blog.
I removed several links to blogs which are no more longer updated. The reason for the action was a mail from John Dax, the owner of Judging a Book by Its Cover, who asked me to add his blog tomy list of Lighthouses. Of cause I added the blog because I like what John is doing.
He really judges books by its covers. In case you want to read and watch something different compared to other book blogs I recommend to visit Judging a Book by Its Cover.



Enjoy your weekend ....


Books

Dear readers, I'm the one to tell you about books - only books? What about novellas and other stuff? My name is Bona. I scour shelves, shops and the net for books. If you call me a book whore I would not gainsay you. But be aware I have my own, sometimes elusive taste.

Did the header Four: second, second, twelfth, last make any sense to you? Let me solve the riddle. This week I received four books: a second book in a series, a second book in a series, the twelfth book in a series and the last book in a series. Yes, I really received a copy of the last book in a series. By the way I bought all these books.

The Crippled God (pb 2011) [ISBN-13: 978-0765316561] by Steven Erikson is the tenth an final book in The Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
For me it does not make sense to post the blurb in this case. If you want to read it then follow THIS LINK. And this is the cover:

I read an urban fantasy series. It is the only one I really like. So far I read three Dresden Files.
This week I received a copy of Changes (pb 2011) [ISBN-13: 978-0451463470] by Jim Butcher, which is the twelfth novel in the Dresden universe. You want to read the blurb? Then follow THIS LINK.

In 2009 I read The Painted Man (pb 2009) [ISBN-13: 978-0007276141] by Peter V.Brett.
I wrote on Goodreads:
"One of the best fantasy books I read so far in 2009. Character driven and good world building.
Intriguing, stunning, awesome. We follow mainly 3 characters and it doesn't take long that you get sucked into the story. I can't wait to read the sequel
."
And this week I received a copy of the sequel, The Desert Spear (pb 2011) [ISBN-13: 978-0345524140] by Peter V.Brett.
"The sun is setting on humanity. The night now belongs to voracious demons that prey upon a dwindling population forced to cower behind half-forgotten symbols of power. Legends tell of a Deliverer: a general who once bound all mankind into a single force that defeated the demons. But is the return of the Deliverer just another myth? Perhaps not. Out of the desert rides Ahmann Jardir, who has forged the desert tribes into a demon-killing army. He has proclaimed himself Shar'Dama Ka, the Deliverer, and he carries ancient weapons - a spear and a crown - that give credence to his claim. But the Northerners claim their own Deliverer: the Warded Man, a dark, forbidding figure. Once, the Shar'Dama Ka and the Warded Man were friends. Now they are fierce adversaries. Yet as old allegiances are tested and fresh alliances forged, all are unaware of the appearance of a new breed of demon, more intelligent - and deadly - than any that have come before." [Back of the book]

That leaves only one question to me. When will I read The Desert Spear?


The last book I received this week belongs to a series which is connected to 12th July 2011.
A Clash Of Kings (pb 2005) [ISBN-13: 978-0553579901] by George R.R. Martin is the second book in the epic saga A Song Of Ice And Fire.
"A comet the color of blood and flame cuts across the sky. And from the ancient citadel of Dragonstone to the forbidding shores of Winterfell, chaos reigns. Six factions struggle for control of a divided land and the Iron Throne of the Seven Kingdoms, preparing to stake their claims through tempest, turmoil, and war. It is a tale in which brother plots against brother and the dead rise to walk in the night. Here a princess masquerades as an orphan boy; a knight of the mind prepares a poison for a treacherous sorceress; and wild men descend from the Mountains of the Moon to ravage the countryside. Against a backdrop of incest and fratricide, alchemy and murder, victory may go to the men and women possessed of the coldest steel...and the coldest hearts. For when kings clash, the whole land trembles." [Source]

You should know that I read the German edition of the four published books. I started to buy the English edition because I want to reread the series in original language.
My wife will reread the German edition. We both love A Song Of Ice And Fire.







Blogosphere

Hey, I'm Bona Fide. I just came back from my last foray through the blogosphere. What can you expect from me? I tell you: Everything from Art to Fart as long as there is any faint connection to books. And here is some honey from the beehive blogosphere...

TUESDAY, 12th JULY, 2011
I'm sure you read the date in nearly every fantasy book blog. I admit that in this case I have to post about it too. I is a date which George R.R. Martin posted on his blog on 3rd March 2011.

Read the full post by following THIS LINK.

TUESDAY, 12th JULY, 2011 is the publishing date of A Dance With Dragons which is the fifth book in the epic saga A Song Of Ice And Fire. I neither post one of the many covers nor I post a blurb.

The only thing I want to say is: I TRUST GEORGE R.R. MARTIN

I ordered the book in advance a long time ago and now I'm as merry as a lark and I know what I will do in summer 2011 .....

However I highly recommend to read Clarifying some DANCE WITH DRAGONS points over at The Wertzone.


Do you want to know where the word steampunk comes from?
Then I recommend to read following post:


I posted about the mentioned books by K. W. Jeter in my end of the year 2010 post.
Both books will be reissued in April 2011 by Angry Robots. As I like the covers I show you them again.

Infernal Devices (pb, 2011) [ISBN-13: 978-0857660978] by K. W. Jeter
Angry Robots (UK): 26 April


Morlock Night (pb, 2011) [ISBN-13: 978-0857661005] by K. W. Jeter
Angry Robots (UK): 26 April

For seven years Steampunkopedia has been an awesome and extraordinary source for steampunk books, movies comics, games and other sources. The close of the site made me sad.
Therefore I'm more than happy that I found following information:
"Although the website has been closed down, most of its resources are available again, packed into this single 80-page PDF booklet. The volume contains Steampunk Chronology (a list of over 3,000 steampunk and dieselpunk titles), links, definitions of the genre, charts etc." [Source]
In order to download the PDF follow THIS LINK.


That's it for today. Come back next week for more ......


Movies

Hey, it's me Fide. I'm a remote control professional. I'm that fast that I can watch two movies at the same time.
But don't worry. All the stuff I present to you will be shown at normal speed.

Do you remember the date last manned lunar landing mission? I had to visit wikipedia for the answer. In December 1972 Eugene Cernan,Ronald Evans and Harrison Schmitt flew to the moon on board Apollo 17.
This is the official version. But why did the Nasa never return to the moon? You will find a lot of answers when use Google ....
Next month (April 2011) you will get one possible answer. The only thing you have to do is to visit a cinema and watch Apollo 18.
"In December of 1973, two American astronauts were sent on a secret mission to the moon funded by the US Department of Defense. What you are about to see is the actual footage which the astronauts captured on that mission. While NASA denies its authenticity, others say it’s the real reason we’ve never gone back to the moon..." [Source]
Now have a look at the trailer.




That's all for today. See you next time....

Quotes

I 'm the Keeper of the minutes. But I don't mind when you call me Kotm. No, no. I don't explain to you how to pronounce.

I is quite difficult to search quotes without inspiration. That means today you get random quotes about Food .....

"Tomatoes and oregano make it Italian; wine and tarragon make it French. Sour cream makes it Russian; lemon and cinnamon make it Greek. Soy sauce makes it Chinese; garlic makes it good.
Alice May Brock

"We are indeed much more than what we eat, but what we eat can nevertheless help us to be much more than what we are.
Adelle Davis, (1904 - 1974)

"Nothing will benefit human health and increase the chances for survival of life on Earth as much as the evolution to a vegetarian diet.
Albert Einstein, US (German-born) physicist (1879 - 1955)

2 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Not sure yet about Apollo 18, but Super 8 looks amazing. (Saw another preview for it last night.)
Need to check out Butcher's work.
And check out my Friday post!

ediFanoB said...

@Alex,
I saw the second Super 8 trailer too. I chose Apollo 18 because I did not see many posts about it.

I checked out your Friday post and left a comment over at your blog. THANK YOU!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...