Thursday, February 24, 2011

Edi's Weekend Wave #1108

Hello and welcome to issue #08 of Edi's Weekend Wave.
This is definitely the last issue in February 2011. Weather wise we have had a varied week. Sun, clouds, fog, snow, freeze and chilly wind. The weather is more varied than my blog. However I found some things worth to post. Have a look and

ENJOY READING ....

Edi's Guidepost

The Lighthouse
News and information straight from the horse's mouth by Lighthouse keeper ediFanoB

  1. Blog content, reading progress
Books
The latest report from our shelf shop net correspondent Bona
  1. First two then three after surprising delivery
  2. Rediscovery of a forgotten "love"
Blogosphere
Messages from the depths of the blogosphere by spheronaut Bona Fide
  1. Hiatus, endings, disappearance
  2. 2010 Top 100 fantasy, science fiction and horror books
Movies
Remote control junkie Fide and his zapping highlights
  1. Priest
  2. Hanna
  3. Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
Quotes
The member of the house of quotes and a quote himself the Keeper of the minutes ( we call him Kotm) fished for you
  1. German proverbs, sayings and idioms Random Quotes related to Fun ....

The Lighthouse

I still can't believe that I read in sum 717 pages last week. And I did more.
Come back on Sunday 27th February and see the result.

I decided to add a short comment to each book in progress and each finished book.

I finished following books and added both to my list of unwritten reviews:

- TimeRiders: The Doomsday Code by Alex Scarrow
The third novel in the series. Alex Scarrow continues
on a high level. And again there is a bang at the end.
I look forward to the next trip back to the American Civil War ...

- Gods of Manhattan by Al Ewing
Only 238 pages but what a story. Awesome. Meet super heroes and super villains in a Victorian New York.
I hope Mr. Ewing will deliver the next El Sombra adventure soon.


I'm
- 211 pages in Dream of Legends by Stephen Zimmer
After a moderate beginning it is getting better and better

- 308 pages in Hellhole by Brian Herbert and Kevin J. Anderson
This is the birth of a great classic space opera. Entertaining enough
that I don't want to put it down

- 63 pages in Dissolution by C.J. Sansom
Definitely a series for me. Even I don't know much about the main character Matthew Shardlake at this stage of the story I like him. He is intelligent, has a hunchback, works for Cromwell and fears him.

So I read a mix of space opera, epic fantasy and historical thriller. In the past weeks I got used to switch between four books. That means I need to decide for one more book.
I did. When you read further on you will see which book won the "race". It maybe a surprise for you.

Enjoy your weekend ....


Books

Dear readers, I'm the one to tell you about books - only books? What about novellas and other stuff? My name is Bona. I scour shelves, shops and the net for books. If you call me a book whore I would not gainsay you. But be aware I have my own, sometimes elusive taste.

This week I received two books which I ordered sometime ago in 2010. They have some similiarity. Each of them is the fourth book in their series. I read the first book in each series.

Last week I talked a bit about The Pike Mystery series by Andrew Pepper and this week I received book four in the series, The Detective Branch (February, 2011) [ISBN-13: 978-075382768].
"Drury Lane, 1844: a robbery at a pawnbroker's leaves three people dead and it seems that a valuable religious artefact is the motivation. When sometime crook Pyke - now head of Scotland Yard's new Detective Branch - is called in, the clues lead to an old case that no one wants reopened - and Pyke must uncover secrets from the past that the church and the police would prefer remain buried.
Pyke's investigation takes him through the underbelly of Victorian London to a dissolute former Catholic priest and rumours of the devil worship - while he struggles tokeephis own criminal history from being revealed." [Back of the book]
Historical thriller/mystery must be part of my reading choice like epic fantasy. Therefore I decided to alternate between between The Pike Mystery series by Andrew Pepper and The Shardlake series by C.J. Sansom.

The second book is The Ragged Man (2010) [ISBN-13: 978-0575085596] by Tom Lloyd.
To be honest I have only a faint memory of the first book. I Think it will be a wise decision to wait for the final fifth book and then read them all in a row. I pass on the blurb in this case it is not spoiler free. But I show you the UK cover.


I just finished this section of the when the postman delivered one more book. Like last week I send a big thank you over the pond to Tor/Forge.com.
I received a trade paperback copy of Green (February, 2011) [ISBN-13: 978-0765321534] by Jay Lake.
"She was born in poverty, in a dusty village under the equatorial sun. She does not remember her mother, she does not remember her own name - her earliest clear memory is of the day her father sold her to the tall pale man. In the Court of the Pomegranate Tree, where she was taught the ways of a courtesan.and the skills of an assassin.she was named Emerald, the precious jewel of the Undying Duke's collection of beauties.

She calls herself Green.

The world she inhabits is one of political power and magic, where Gods meddle in the affairs of mortals. At the center of it is the immortal Duke's city of Copper Downs, which controls all the trade on the Storm Sea. Green has made many enemies, and some secret friends, and she has become a very dangerous woman indeed." [Source]
Last week I received a copy of The Unremembered (hc, US, April 2011) [ISBN-13: 978-0765325716] by Peter Orullian. The blurb contained the word god twice.I told you that I'm not keen to read books about god(s). Now look again at the Green blurb. "..., where Gods meddle in the affairs of mortals." Against my skepticism I will give a Green try. There a lot of mixed reviews over at Goodreads.

In the past days I worked on my huge Google Reader backlog. One of the many posts I have read has been Blackveil by Kristen Britain (Reviewed by Robert Thompson) which rang a bell.
Some of you may know that I started to read books in English in 2007. Yes in this case I'm a late bloomer. And I still remember that Green Rider (pb, 2000, first published in 1998) [ISBN-13: 978-0886778583] by Kristen Britain. I liked it a lot. Of course I bought book two and three in series, put them on my shelf and there they rest unread.
But now the time has come to read the second book in the series First Rider's Call (pb, 2005, first published in 2003) [ISBN-13: 978- 0743408943].
"When Karigan returned to Sacor City, she discovered the passage of time had not improved life for the Green Riders. She found them weakened and diminished. Veteran Riders had been killed yet few new Riders had heard the call. Rider magic was becoming unreliable, and strangest of all, Karigan was having ghostly visions – visions of a strong woman with wild flowing hair and a blue and green plaid draped across her shoulder, pinned with a golden brooch. This woman was no stranger to Karigan nor would she have been to any Green Rider, for she was Lil Ambriodhe, First Rider, and founder of the Green Rider messenger service. But why was she appearing to Karigan? And how could Karigan seek the help of a woman who had been dead for a millennium?" [Source]

Maybe you think it is not fair to read an "old" book from my shelf when I constantly receive new books. I think we should not forget "older" books. There are a lot of gems.
In case you have never heard of the Green Rider series before you should not hesitate to visit the official Kristen Britain site, where you get a lot information around the series.
Maybe it is a bit difficult for you to get the books. Then have a look at Orion Books UK who reissue the first three books in April 2011.


No more today, see you next week ......

Blogosphere

Hey, I'm Bona Fide. I just came back from my last foray through the blogosphere. What can you expect from me? I tell you: Everything from Art to Fart as long as there is any faint connection to books. And here is some honey from the beehive blogosphere...

The blogosphere is always in motion. New blogs arise older blogs disappear. Some look deserted. In the past months I got the impression that a lot of blogs I follow are either on hiatus or on the verge being closed. I must admit it is a recurring thought whether to continue with blogging or return to the status of an avid reader. I could post my reviews on Goodreads or try offer them as guest posts.
As a visitor of my blog you will have recognized the lack of reviews in the past weeks. At the moment my blog is more or less the platform for my Weekend Wave. Of course I thought about a hiatus. But to be honest I know that this would be the end of my blog. Therefore I continue with my one post per week.
I know I lost readers in the past weeks which I can understand. I don't want to discuss the reasons for the lack of reviews.
I would like to talk about the reasons why I blog. I like to read. I like to share my opinion about books. I like to discover things and share them with other people. I like what I do and I will continue as long as I have fun. I'm not keen to have thousands of clicks per day. Of course it is good to see that beside my wife some more people read what I write. And of course it is great to get comments.
One thing I know for sure. It is an illusion for me to have a blog with daily posts as long I have a job. That's fine ... for me. Finally it is up to you, dear reader, whether you like to visit a blog with maximum three posts per week or not. If you look for the latest book news - I can't deliver them.
I will concentrate on my Weekend Wave and on reviews.
So I promise you I will neither go on hiatus nor close the blog in the next months.

The reason why I wrote about this topic is following post Talking About Endings by fellow blogger Dave-Brendon de Burgh from South-Africa. And don't forget to read the comments. Patrick from Pat's Fantasy Hotlist hit the bulls eye with his comment which I can't withstand to quote here:
"Blog because you like what you do and don’t worry about anything else. As long as you’re having fun, it’s all good.
It’s not about numbers (hits, visitors, etc). If you no longer get a kick out of blogging, then it might be time to quit. Otherwise, just hang in there and have fun doing it."
From time to time I like to put my nose into top 50 or top 100 book lists. I do it mainly for two reasons. The first reason is to discover new books which means books I don't have on my list. The second reason is to check how many of the books I have read.
Recently the well done online fantasy and science ficition publication SF crowsnest published its top 100 fantasy,science fiction and horror books for 2010. The interesting thing is that it is based on the votes by readers. I recommend tohave a look at The Hyper Hundred... SFcrowsnest Fantasy, Horror and Science Fiction Books Chart, because it contains books I never heard from before. In sum I read nine of the listed books. How many books did you read?

That's it for today. Come back next week for more ......


Movies

Hey, it's me Fide. I'm a remote control professional. I'm that fast that I can watch two movies at the same time.
But don't worry. All the stuff I present to you will be shown at normal speed.

I'm not a fan of horror movies. And I'm still not sure whether I want to see Priest or not. Fortunately there are still some days left until the film hits the movies.
"PRIEST, a post-apocalyptic sci-fi thriller, is set in an alternate world -- one ravaged by centuries of war between man and vampires. The story revolves around a legendary Warrior Priest from the last Vampire War who now lives in obscurity among the other downtrodden human inhabitants in walled-in dystopian cities ruled by the Church. When his niece is abducted by a murderous pack of vampires, Priest breaks his sacred vows to venture out on a quest to find her before they turn her into one of them. He is joined on his crusade by his niece's boyfriend, a trigger-fingered young wasteland sheriff, and a former Warrior Priestess who possesses otherworldly fighting skills." [Source]
Watch the trailer and build up your mind ....



Hanna - this is the title of an upcoming movie about a 16 year old girl. This girl has nothing in common with Hannah Montana. Hanna is special, very special ...

SYNOPSIS
"A teenage girl goes out into the world for the first time – and has to battle for her life. Director Joe Wright weaves elements of dark fairy tales into the adventure thriller Hanna, filmed on location in Europe and Morocco.
H
anna (played by Academy Award nominee Saoirse Ronan of Atonement, also directed by Joe Wright) is 16 years old. She is bright, inquisitive, and a devoted daughter. Uniquely, she has the strength, the stamina, and the smarts of a solider; these come from being raised by her widowed father Erik (Eric Bana), an ex-CIA man, in the wilds of North Finland. Erik has taught Hanna to hunt, put her through extreme self-defense workouts, and home-schooled her with only an encyclopedia and a book of fairy tales. Hanna has been living a life unlike any other teenager; her upbringing and training have been one and the same, all geared to making her the perfect assassin. But out in the world there is unfinished business for Hanna’s family, and it is with a combination of pride and apprehension that Erik realizes his daughter can no longer be held back.
T
his turning point in Hanna’s adolescence is a sharp one; she is separated from Erik and embarks on the mission that she was always destined for. Before she and her father can reunite as planned in Berlin, Hanna is captured by agents dispatched by ruthless intelligence operative Marissa Wiegler (Academy Award winner Cate Blanchett). Marissa, a career agent, has long been harboring secrets that tie her to Hanna and Erik.
D
etained for observation and held beneath the Moroccan desert, Hanna soon turns the tables on her captors. Her daring escape to above-ground thrusts her into an unfamiliar landscape and world which she must quickly learn to comprehend and navigate. Marissa secretly sends a team of agents after Hanna, and joins the deadly pursuit herself. As Hanna journeys across Europe and nears her ultimate target, she faces startling revelations about her existence and unexpected questions about her humanity." [Source]
And now watch the trailer ......



Of course I know that a game is no movie. But in former time I liked and played The Elder Scrolls: Morrowind and Oblivion. Both are great fantasy games in an expansive world full of magic, monsters, towns. I liked to be a wood elf archer.
The more I read and with my hour long diving in the www I lost interested in playing games and of course there was not enough time.
But times they are a changing. Since I watched the trailer of the upcoming THE ELDER SCROLLS V: SKYRIM (release date: November 11th 2011) , the yearning to play it awakened.
It is more than dragons, snowy mountains, a strong hero. It is the atmosphere which i can't escape.
Unfortunately I know that our PC fails the system requirements totally. That means no Skyrim without a new PC. The good thing is that my wife and my daughter are interested too. Together we will find a way ... I will keep you informed. Now have a look at the trailer.




That's all for today. See you next time....

Quotes

I 'm the Keeper of the minutes. But I don't mind when you call me Kotm. No, no. I don't explain to you how to pronounce.

I is quite difficult to search quotes without inspiration. That means today you get random quotes about Writing .....

"It's kind of fun to do the impossible.
Walt Disney, US cartoonist & movie producer (1901 - 1966)

"The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not 'Eureka!' (I found it!) but 'That's funny ...'
Isaac Asimov, US science fiction novelist & scholar (1920 - 1992)

"Give a man a fish, and you'll feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he'll buy a funny hat. Talk to a hungry man about fish, and you're a consultant.
Scott Adams, Dogbert; Dilbert cartoons, US cartoonist (1957 - )

4 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

You haven't lost me!
This past week a lot of my blogger buddies went on hiatus. I'll slow down now and then, but I can't imagine stopping.
You provide so much great information in your weekend posts. Don't stop!

ediFanoB said...

Dear Alex,
I know for sure that you are still one of my most constant reader and commenter.
It is a shame that I don't visit your blog as often as you visit my blog.

And don't worry. I enjoy writing my weekend post a lot.

Michelle Gregory said...

i hopped on over from Alex J. Cavanaugh's blog. nice to meet another fantasy lover. wish i had time to read all these books.

ediFanoB said...

Hello Michelle,

thank you for visiting my blog. There are so many books which I would like to read. As we are mortal we have to decide which books we read. It is the same with blogs. There are so many of them.

I wish you good luck with ELDALA and the sequel BLACK HEART.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...