Saturday, February 12, 2011

Edi's Weekend Wave #1106

Hello and welcome to issue #06 of Edi's Weekend Wave.
a new issue of means no hiatus. after a week with less internet, more sleep and trying to be more serene I feel better than last week.

ENJOY READING ....

Edi's Guidepost

The Lighthouse
News and information straight from the horse's mouth by Lighthouse keeper ediFanoB

  1. Me
  2. Blog content, reading progress
Books
The latest report from our shelf shop net correspondent Bona
  1. Books received this week
  2. Another book goes movie
Blogosphere
Messages from the depths of the blogosphere by spheronaut Bona Fide
  1. The more posts the better?
  2. I love this post
  3. James S A Corey: Interview
Movies
Remote control junkie Fide and his zapping highlights
  1. X-Men: First Class
Quotes
The member of the house of quotes and a quote himself the Keeper of the minutes ( we call him Kotm) fished for you
  1. German proverbs, sayings and idioms Random Quotes related to Art ....

The Lighthouse

Me
Compared to last week I feel better. More sleep, to be more serene, less internet and some other things have been a good choice. Don't worry I'm not on drugs (except books). Next step will be to return to my unwritten reviews. Slowly but surely I will reveal my thoughts about the books I read recently.

Reading has been a pleasure in the past week.

INTERRUPTION
I think this is the right time and place for a special apology.

Dear Stephen Zimmer, your Dream of Legends is one of my current reads. But there has been no reading progress in the past two weeks. I really look forward to read it but in order to enjoy it I need to be in a better condition. I'm afraid I will lose the thread when I read it now. I expect to resume reading Dream of Legends next week. I hope you will understand. You will have noticed that it took me also more time to read The Curious Case of the Clockwork Man by Mark Hodder.
I have to be careful with my choice what to read in case of complexity.

Last week I finished The Curious Case of the Clockwork Man by Mark Hodder and TimeRiders: Day of the Predator by Alex Scarrow. I enjoyed them both. And of course both have been added to my growing list of unwritten reviews which now contains:

- The Monarchies of God series by Paul Kearney
- Dark Side by Jonathan Green
- Veins by Lawrence C. Connolly
- THRALL by Steven Shrewsbury
- Doomsday Book by Connie Willis
- The Lost Gate by Orson Scott Card
- TimeRiders: Day of the Predator by Alex Scarrow
- The Curious Case of the Clockwork Man by Mark Hodder

I hope to post minimum one review within February .....

Within the last week I started to read two other books: I'm 148 pages in The Buntline Special by Mike Resnick and 88 pages in TimeRiders: The Doomsday Code by Alex Scarrow.
I can't deny that I have a temporary soft spot for Steampunk and Time travel.
My next reads beside Dream of Legends will be science fiction and again steampunk: Gods of Manhattan (2011) [ISBN-13: 978-1906735395] by Al Ewing and Hellhole ( 2010) [ISBN-13: 978-1847374264] by Kevin J Anderson and Brian Herbert.


Enjoy your weekend ....


Books

Dear readers, I'm the one to tell you about books - only books? What about novellas and other stuff? My name is Bona. I scour shelves, shops and the net for books. If you call me a book whore I would not gainsay you. But be aware I have my own, sometimes elusive taste.

This week I received no books. That is always the opportunity to talk about books which are not on every ones radar. To be honest I could not decide which book to present you. So I picked one randomly.
"An intricate tale of murder and magic, deception and betrayal, Machiavellian politics, star-crossed lovers, and a world on the brink of devastating war....
Over the decades and slow centuries, the city of Nessantico spread its influence in all directions, subsuming and converting the majority of other religions and lesser gods within the Holdings. Always strong even as the borders of the Holdings ebbed and flowed under the effects of war and commerce, always magnificent even as tastes and styles changed, always seductive and desirable no matter what other exotic lands and places might briefly come into fashion, Nessantico gathered to itself all that was intellectual, all that was rich, all that was powerful. There was no city in the known world that could rival it. But there were many who envied it..." [Source]
Interested in? It is the first book in a trilogy. I own paperback copies of book one and two. Paperback edition of book three will be released in April and of course I ordered it in advance.
I think I should read this trilogy within 2011.

George R.R. Martin wrote:
"XYZ is a relative newcomer on the fantasy scene, but he writes like a seasoned pro. Book Title is his best yet, a delicious melange of politics, war, sorcery, and religion in a richly imagined world peopled with a varied cast of haughty lords, scheming courtiers, beggars, priests, heretics, zealots, spies, assassins, torturers, tarts, and seductresses. They're vivid and memorable characters, and most are painted in shades of grey, my favorite color. XYZ's Nessantico evokes the Italian city-states of the Rennaissance, especially Venice, but this is a Venice where magic works. It's a fascinating place, and one that I look forward to visiting again."
Any idea about which book I'm talking about?
Today I would like to animate you to visit a few other sites.
Read the review of the book by a well known blogger by clicking HERE.
Visit the official site by clicking HERE.

Finally let me know if one of you dear readers read the book and whether it was worth reading or not ...


Last year I left following impression for a book over at Goodreads:
"A mix of Dexter, ER, Gray's Anatomy, House MD, Sopranos, The Godfather.
Absolutely entertaining!"
I talk about Beat The Reaper ( first printed in 2008) [ISBN-13: 978-1847374264] by Josh Bazell
"Meet Peter Brown, a young Manhattan emergency room doctor with an unusual past that is just about to catch up with him. His morning begins with the quick disarming of a would-be mugger, followed by a steamy elevator encounter with a sexy young pharmaceutical rep, topped off by a visit with a new patient--and from there Peter's day is going to get a whole lot worse and a whole lot weirder. Because that patient knows Peter from his other life, when he had a different name and a very different job. The only reason he's a doctor now is thanks to the Witness Protection Program--and even they can't protect him from the long reach of the New Jersey mob. Now he's got to do whatever it takes to keep his patient alive so he can buy some time...and beat the reaper." [Source]

To pleasure there will be a Beat The Reaper movie within 2012 and maybe starring Leonardo DiCaprio. For details read
'I Am Number Four’ Director D.J. Caruso Hoping To ‘Beat The Reaper’ At Fox

Don't forget to visit the awesome Beat The Reaper site.


No more today, see you next week ......

Blogosphere

Hey, I'm Bona Fide. I just came back from my last foray through the blogosphere. What can you expect from me? I tell you: Everything from Art to Fart as long as there is any faint connection to books. And here is some honey from the beehive blogosphere...

The number of unread item is is still growing and it does not matter how many entries I read.
I did not add blogs in the past three months. That means people post more.
To be honest a blog with one daily post is fine for. But there are blogs which post more than 20 entries per day!! To be honest I'm not willing to follow these blogs any longer. I like diversity which means I prefer to follow 20 blogs with one post per day instead of one blog with 20 posts.

Dear readers, what do you think about blogs with more than 20 posts daily?

What To Blog About When You Don't Know What To Blog About
This is the header of my favorite post of the week. I highly recommend to read what author Ken Scholes wrote over at Genreality.

Who is James S. A. Corey? This is the pen-name of author Daniel Abraham and Ty Franck, the personal assistant to well known author George R.R. Martin.
Leviathan Wakes (June 2011) [UK ISBN-13: 978-0316129084] is the debut novel and the first in the series by James S A Corey.
"Humanity has colonized the solar system - Mars, the Moon, the Asteroid Belt and beyond - but the stars are still out of our reach.
Jim Holden is XO of an ice miner making runs from the rings of Saturn to the mining stations of the Belt. When he and his crew stumble upon a derelict ship, The Scopuli, they find themselves in possession of a secret they never wanted. A secret that someone is willing to kill for - and kill on a scale unfathomable to Jim and his crew. War is brewing in the system unless he can find out who left the ship and why.
Detective Miller is looking for a girl. One girl in a system of billions, but her parents have money and money talks. When the trail leads him to The Scopuli and rebel sympathizer Holden, he realizes that this girl may be the key to everything.
Holden and Miller must thread the needle between the Earth government, the Outer Planet revolutionaries, and secretive corporations - and the odds are against them. But out in the Belt, the rules are different, and one small ship can change the fate of the universe. " [Source]
I recommend to read Adams review over at The Wertzone.

Now you have some information about Leviathan Wakes. But it is always interesting what an author tells about his book. Fortunately a 30 minute interview with James S. A. Corey is available. The interview is divided in to three parts. I hope you will enjoy the interview as much as I did. I really look forward to read Leviathan Wakes.

Part one


Part two


Part three


Don't forget to visit Daniel Abraham's site ...

That's it for today. Come back next week for more ......


Movies

Hey, it's me Fide. I'm a remote control professional. I'm that fast that I can watch two movies at the same time.
But don't worry. All the stuff I present to you will be shown at normal speed.

I admit there are movies where I would like to see a prequel showing how it all began. In June 2011 we can watch the story of Professor X and Magneto.
"Before Charles Xavier and Erik Lensherr took the names Professor X and Magneto, they were two young men discovering their powers for the first time. Before they were archenemies, they were closest of friends, working together, with other Mutants (some familiar, some new), to stop the greatest threat the world has ever known. In the process, a rift between them opened, which began the eternal war between Magneto's Brotherhood and Professor X's X-MEN." [Source]
This is the content of X-Men: First Class. Have a look at the trailer:


Did you notice the black jet with two engines? It is the famous Lockheed SR-71 Blackbird - a mach 3+ jet from the sixties ...


That's all for today. See you next time....

Quotes

I 'm the Keeper of the minutes. But I don't mind when you call me Kotm. No, no. I don't explain to you how to pronounce.

I is quite difficult to search quotes without inspiration. That means today you get random quotes about Art .....

"Art is either plagiarism or revolution.
Paul Gauguin, French Post-Impressionist painter (1848 - 1903)

"A painting in a museum hears more ridiculous opinions than anything else in the world
Edmond de Goncourt,French artist & novelist (1822 - 1896)

"Painting: The art of protecting flat surfaces from the weather and exposing them to the critic.
Ambrose Bierce, The Devil's Dictionary, US author & satirist (1842 - 1914))

4 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

When you don't know what to blog about? When on earth does that happen????
The cover art for Leviathan Wakes is cool.
Glad you got some sleep.

ediFanoB said...

Hey Alex,
it happens when you are burned-out.

I hope the Leviathan Wakes story is as cool as the cover.

Again and again it is surprising how helpful is sleep.

Seak (Bryce L.) said...

Glad you're feeling better. This has been a rough year so far for me too. :)

Also, thanks for pointing out that Ty Franck is the one associated with GRRM, didn't even put two and two together on that one.

ediFanoB said...

Hey Bryce,

sleep is a good medicine.

As far as I could see, the interview has not been mentioned that often.

I must admit that I did not know before that George R.R. Martin has a personal assistant.

Maybe we both need one too... ;-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...