Saturday, February 05, 2011

Edi's Weekend Wave #1105

Hello and welcome to issue #05 of Edi's Weekend Wave.
I'm still alive. Even my blog looks like a desert. I will tell you a bit about what is going on with me and the impact on the blog. Don't worry. I will not bother you with details. I think it is fair and as a follower/reader you should know what to expect in near future.

ENJOY READING ....

Edi's Guidepost

The Lighthouse
News and information straight from the horse's mouth by Lighthouse keeper ediFanoB

  1. Me
  2. Blog content, reading progress
Books
The latest report from our shelf shop net correspondent Bona
  1. Books received this week
Blogosphere
Messages from the depths of the blogosphere by spheronaut Bona Fide
  1. A book goes movie
  2. Patrick Rothfuss: Interview
Movies
Remote control junkie Fide and his zapping highlights
  1. One of my A Song of Ice and Fire characters
  2. Harrison Ford, Cowboys & Aliens
Quotes
The member of the house of quotes and a quote himself the Keeper of the minutes ( we call him Kotm) fished for you
  1. German proverbs, sayings and idioms Random Quotes by H. L. Mencken ....

The Lighthouse

Me
I know it is a bit unusual header. As a follower/reader you will have recognized the lack of posts - especially reviews. I feel tired and exhausted. I need most of my power for work. There is not much left for other things. I'm not physically sick. It is a kind of mental exhaustion. One thing I know for sure: I need more sleep and I will sleep more. Beside that I will change my daily rhythm: Get up later and go to bed earlier. And I will do some other things which I don't want to talk about. I hope there will be a change by the end of the month.
Until then please don't expect more posts.
Of course I have been thinking about a blog hiatus. That would mean no post instead of one post. I don't think it will be helpful for me when I stop my Weekend Wave.
So let's see what will happen within the next weeks ...

I finished the first month with my 2011 reading goal. And I must say it is a good one.
In January I read 237 pages more than planned. Not bad. In sum I read six books and started three books.
I don't now how I managed to read 579 pages within the last seven days. I must admit I have had problems to follow The Curious Case of the Clockwork Man by Mark Hodder and Dream of Legends by Stephen Zimmer. Therefore I started to read a third book which has been easier to follow for me: TimeRiders: Day of the Predator by Alex Scarrow.
I know I wrote about my "hunger" for historical thrillers last week. Finally I decided to go for time travel.
I'm 195 pages in The Curious Case of the Clockwork Man by Mark Hodder, 21 pages in Dream of Legends by Stephen Zimmer and 116 pages in TimeRiders: Day of the Predator by Alex Scarrow.

The list of reviews in progress is growing:
- The Monarchies of God series by Paul Kearney
- Dark Side by Jonathan Green
- Veins by Lawrence C. Connolly
- THRALL by Steven Shrewsbury
- Doomsday Book by Connie Willis
- The Lost Gate by Orson Scott Card

I will post them whenever I finish one.

Enjoy your weekend ....


Books

Dear readers, I'm the one to tell you about books - only books? What about novellas and other stuff? My name is Bona. I scour shelves, shops and the net for books. If you call me a book whore I would not gainsay you. But be aware I have my own, sometimes elusive taste.

This week I received five books I ordered in advance sometime in 2010. just one book. It is book six in a series where I read only the first book so far.

Let me start with a science fiction book: Hellhole ( 2010) [ISBN-13: 978-1847374264] by Kevin J Anderson and Brian Herbert. It is the first book in a new series.
"Only the most desperate would ever dare to make a new home on Hellhole, a planet ravaged by natural disasters. Persistent volcanic eruptions, destructive storms and recent damage inflicted by asteroid impact make the planet a dumping ground for undesirables, misfits and charlatans. But its location out on the wild frontiers of the Constellation, among the Deep Zone worlds, makes it the final refuge for those fleeing from the rule of Diadem Michella Duchenet - a tyrant with a sweet face, but a dark and heardened heart.
General Adolphus, the military leader exiled to the planet when he was defeated in the first revolution against the Diadem, is determined to transform Hellhole into a place of opportunity. While the colonists are diligently working to develop the planet, the General is forging secret alliances with the leaders of the other Deep Zone worlds. He dreams of turning his prison into the centre of a new coalition of planets free from the Diadem's iron grip.
Back on the decadent capital planet of Sonjeera, surrounded by corruption and consumed by the plots and feuds of the old guard nobles, Diadem Michella is confident that the General has been neutralized. She has no idea of the revolt growing in the Deep Zone . . . or does she?
But what no one knows is this: the planet Hellhole, though damaged and volatile, hides secrets of historic magnitude. Lurking beneath the surface are the remnants of an obliterated alien civilization, detailing an unrecorded past, which, if unearthed, could tear the fragile human civilization apart." [Source]
I did not read much science fiction last year. That means a great opportunity for Hellhole.
You would like and appetizer? Then watch the book trailer....


I told you above that one of my current reads is TimeRiders: Day of the Predator by Alex Scarrow which is the second book in the TimeRiders series. Today I received a copy of book three: TimeRiders: The Doomsday Code (February 2011) [ISBN-13: 978-0141333489]
"In 1993 British computer hacker Adam Lewis finds his name in a coded manuscript that is almost one thousand years old. How did Adam's name get in there ...and why? Confronted by Adam in 2001, the TimeRiders travel back to Sherwood Forest in 1193 to discover the origins of the ancient message. But when a strange hooded man appears interested in the same thing, they begin to wonder what terrible threat this cryptic link from the past holds for the future..." [Source]
Even the books are written for a younger audience, I read them with great pleasure. On the last but one page in there is following hint: "Next Stop: AMERICAN CIVIL WAR ....
I really hope that the next book will be published in August 2011 as mentioned.

I admit that I'm a fan of K J Parker. Therefore it was no question that I bought a copy of The Hammer (January 2011, 512 p.) [ISBN-13: 978-1841495149] by K J Parker.

"The colony was founded seventy years ago. The plan was originally to mine silver, but there turned out not to be any.
Now an uneasy peace exists on the island, between the colonists and the once-noble met’Oc, a family in exile on a remote stronghold for their role in a vaguely remembered civil war. The met’Oc are tolerated, in spite of occasional cattle stealing raids, since they alone possess the weapons considered necessary protection in the event of the island’s savages becoming hostile.
Gignomai is the youngest brother in the current generation of met’Oc. He is about to discover exactly what it is expected of him; and what it means to defy his family." [Source]
The cover is in the same "artifact" look as The Folding Knife (2009) [ISBN-13: 978-978-1857236101] and to my shame it rests still unread on my shelf.

The last but one book is the second in the in the Danilov Quintet series My copy paperback copy of Thirteen Years Later (February 2011) [ISBN-13: 978-0553819595] by Jasper Kent shows a cover in read.
"In the summer of 1812, before the Oprichniki came to the help of Mother Russia in her fight against Napoleon, one of their number overheard a conversation between his master, Zmyeevich, and another of their number. He learns of a feud, an unholy grievance between Zmyeevich and the Romanov dynasty that began a century earlier at the time of Peter the Great. Indeed, while the Oprichniki's primary reason for journeying to Russia is to stop the French, one of them — Iuda — is following a different agenda, for he is to be the instrument of revenge on the Romanovs.
But thanks to the valiant efforts of Captain Aleksei Ivanovich Danilov, Iuda would not be able to begin to complete his task until thirteen years later. But now, in 1825, Russia once more stands on the brink of anarchy, and this time the threat comes from within."

The video shows a cover in blue and you also find a blue cover over at amazon. So I don't know why the color has been changed.


The last book for today. What do you think when you read Venice, vampire, assassins, historical fantasy? I found the mix interesting. Therefore I ordered a copy of The Fallen Blade (2011) [ISBN-13: 978-0316074391] by Jon Courtenay Grimwood which is the first book in the new Vampire Assassin trilogy.
"Venice 1407
The city is at the height of its powers. In theory, Duke Marco commands, but Marco is a simpleton so his aunt and uncle rule in his stead. They seem all powerful, yet live in fear of assassins better than their own

O
n the night their world changes, Marco's young cousin prays in the family chapel for deliverance from a forced marriage. It is her misfortune to be alone when Mamluk pirates break in to abduct her – an act that will ultimately trigger war.
E
lsewhere Atilo, the Duke's chief assassin, cuts a man's throat. Hearing a noise, he turns back to find a boy drinking from the victim's wound. The speed with which the angel-faced boy dodges his dagger and scales a wall stuns Atilo. He knows then he must hunt him. Not to kill him, but because he’s finally found what he thought was impossible – someone fit to be his apprentice." [Source]
I'm thinking about to get the whole trilogy first before start to read. But that is only a lame excuse for avoiding the decision when to read it. I do not know it now ...


No more today, see you next week ......

Blogosphere

Hey, I'm Bona Fide. I just came back from my last foray through the blogosphere. What can you expect from me? I tell you: Everything from Art to Fart as long as there is any faint connection to books. And here is some honey from the beehive blogosphere...

In May 2008 I bought book which is still on my shelf - unread. Since I read following post - Mark Helprin's Winters Tale gets Director over at BCS Reviews, I'm thinking about to add Winter's Tale (1983, reissued 2008) [ISBN-13: 978-0156031196] by Mark Helprin to my books I wish to read in 2011 list.
"New York City is subsumed in arctic winds, dark nights, and white lights, its life unfolds, for it is an extraordinary hive of the imagination, the greatest house ever built, and nothing exists that can check its vitality. One night in winter, Peter Lake--orphan and master-mechanic, attempts to rob a fortress-like mansion on the Upper West Side.

Though he thinks the house is empty, the daughter of the house is home. Thus begins the love between Peter Lake, a middle-aged Irish burglar, and Beverly Penn, a young girl, who is dying." [Source]
Dear readers, did one of you read Winter's Tale? Would you recommend it? Looking forward to your comments.

A lot of people wait for The Wise Man's Fear (March, 2011) [ISBN-13: 978-0756404734] by Patrick Rothfuss. Maybe I'm a bit late but in case you are interested in to get more information about Patrick Rothfuss and his work I highly recommend to have a look at
2010 Comic Con Patrick Rothfuss Interview by Suvudu. With around 30 minutes it is not a short interview. Enjoy!

That's it for today. Come back next week for more ......


Movies

Hey, it's me Fide. I'm a remote control professional. I'm that fast that I can watch two movies at the same time.
But don't worry. All the stuff I present to you will be shown at normal speed.

A Song of Ice and Fire by George R.R. Martin is one of my favorite fantasy series ever. I'm not sure whether the new upcoming HBO series A Game of Thrones will be aired on German TV or not. But with every video I watch I'm longing more for the series. Today I present you one of my favorite characters: Aria Stark. Maisie Williams does a great job. Awesome!! Just have a look .....


I like Harrison Ford. I like aliens. And there a western movies I like. Therefore I really look forward to Cowboy & Aliens ...


That's all for today. See you next time....

Quotes

I 'm the Keeper of the minutes. But I don't mind when you call me Kotm. No, no. I don't explain to you how to pronounce.

I is quite difficult to search quotes without inspiration. That means today you get random quotes by H. L. Mencken ......

"A cynic is a man who, when he smells flowers, looks around for a coffin.
H. L. Mencken, US editor (1880 - 1956)

"A celebrity is one who is known to many persons he is glad he doesn't know.
H. L. Mencken, US editor (1880 - 1956)

"Giving every man a vote has no more made men wise and free than Christianity has made them good.
H. L. Mencken, US editor (1880 - 1956)

6 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Some interesting books you've selected this week.
Sounds like you're stuck in a place no one likes to be. If you need to take a break, set a date for your return, or we may never see you again. And that would suck.

Mark Lawrence said...

Another cool wave. Thanks for the read!

And take it easy. Reading's to enjoy not to endure. People will still come to your blog if you miss a month or two.

ediFanoB said...

Hello Alex,
thanks for your kind words. Don't worry, the blog is important for me. I don't have any plans to disappear ....
As I wrote I work on my mental tiredness. I hope there will be an improvement soon.
In case there will be no improvement I will take a break.

ediFanoB said...

Hello Mark,

thank you for compliments. To be honest as I do not enjoy reading I will stop it.
For me it is sad that I don't have the power to write reviews. In order to change my mentally tiredness I started several actions including to sleep more. I have to accept that I need a certain quantum of sleep.
In case I need a break I will post it.

Seak (Bryce L.) said...

I too have a growing list of reviews in progress. Maybe it was vacation, but all I can seem to get down are a few notes, but nothing that fits together to make anything close to a review.

ediFanoB said...

Hey Bryce,
so I'm not the only one. It is sad because I liked the books I read. Every time when I start to work on a review I'm running out of words within seconds. I don't know why. I hope it will change soon.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...