Saturday, January 22, 2011

Edi's Weekend Wave #1103

Hello and welcome to issue #03 of Edi's Weekend Wave.In case you read my review of The Greyfriar (2010, US) [ISBN-13: 978-1616142476] by Clay and Susan Griffith you know, that Bona, Fide, Bona Fide and KotM are back. I just say I like it. I felt a bit lonely without them. Just one week left in January. Unbelievable how time flies by.
And to be honest due to a lack of time this issue of the Weekend Wave is a bit shorter than usual. I will work on it in the next issues.


ENJOY READING ....

Edi's Guidepost

The Lighthouse
News and information straight from the horse's mouth by Lighthouse keeper ediFanoB

  1. Blog content and reading progress
Books
The latest report from our shelf shop net correspondent Bona
  1. Books received this week
Blogosphere
Messages from the depths of the blogosphere by spheronaut Bona Fide
  1. Four Links Beyond Books
Movies
Remote control junkie Fide and his zapping highlights
  1. Transformer Train
Quotes
The member of the house of quotes and a quote himself the Keeper of the minutes ( we call him Kotm) fished for you
  1. German proverbs, sayings and idioms Random Quotes ....

The Lighthouse

Today you can see the third update of my reading statistics in the right column of the blog. I'm quite happy with my reading target of 70 pages per day. Even I missed my target by 22 pages. That means I read only 469 pages instead of expected 490 pages. There has been one day where I read only 30 pages because I have been too tired. I hope it will get better next week.

I finished THRALL by Steven Shrewsbury, Veins by Lawrence C. Connolly and I'm 248 pages into Doomsday Book by Connie Willis. I enjoy to read two books parallel.

Following reviews are in progress:
- The Monarchies of God series by Paul Kearney
- Dark Side by Jonathan Green
- Veins by Lawrence C. Connolly

Depending on when I finish my next review you can expect a post on Sunday or on Wednesday.

I promised to read and review following books
- Dream of Legends by Stephen Zimmer
- The Curious Case of the Clockwork Man by Mark Hodder
Therefore they will be my next reads.


Enjoy your weekend ....


Books

Dear readers, I'm the one to tell you about books - only books? What about novellas and other stuff? My name is Bona. I scour shelves, shops and the net for books. If you call me a book whore I would not gainsay you. But be aware I have my own, sometimes elusive taste.

This week I received just one book. It is one I really look forward to read. And it is a reviewer copy.

A big thank you goes to PYR for sending me a reviewer copy of The Curious Case of the ClockworkMan (March 2011) [ISBN-13: 978-1616143596] by Mark Hodder.
It is 1862, though not the 1862 it should be...
T
ime has been altered, and Sir Richard Francis Burton, the king’s agent, is one of the few people who know that the world is now careening along a very different course from that which Destiny intended.
When a clockwork-powered man of brass is found abandoned in Trafalgar Square, Burton and his assistant, the wayward poet Algernon Swinburne, find themselves on the trail of the stolen Garnier Collection—black diamonds rumored to be fragments of the Lemurian Eye of Naga, a meteorite that fell to Earth in prehistoric times.
His investigation leads to involvement with the media sensation of the age: the Tichborne Claimant, a man who insists that he’s the long lost heir to the cursed Tichborne estate. Monstrous, bloated, and monosyllabic, he’s not the aristocratic Sir Roger Tichborne known to everyone, yet the working classes come out in force to support him. They are soon rioting through the streets of London, as mysterious steam wraiths incite all-out class warfare.
From a haunted mansion to the Bedlam madhouse, from South America to Australia, from séances to a secret labyrinth, Burton struggles with shadowy opponents and his own inner demons, meeting along the way the philosopher Herbert Spencer, Isambard Kingdom Brunel, Florence Nightingale, and Charles Doyle (father of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle).
Can the king’s agent expose a plot that threatens to rip the British Empire apart, leading to an international conflict the like of which the world has never seen? And what part does the clockwork man have to play?
Burton and Swinburne’s second adventure—The Clockwork Man of Trafalgar Square—is filled with eccentric steam-driven technology, grotesque characters, and a deepening mystery that pushes forward the three-volume story arc begun in The Strange Affair of Spring Heeled Jack." [Source]
As soon as I have finished this issue of the I will start to read The Curious Case of the ClockworkMan. 2011 seems to be a great year for steampunk reads.

No more today, see you next week ......

Blogosphere

Hey, I'm Bona Fide. I just came back from my last foray through the blogosphere. What can you expect from me? I tell you: Everything from Art to Fart as long as there is any faint connection to books. And here is some honey from the beehive blogosphere...

This week I would like to present your four different links beyond books. From time to time we need more input than only books.

Did you read Harry Potter or did you watch the Harry Potter movies? Then you will know that Harry lived in a room under the stairs. Do have stairs in your home? Are there secret rooms under your stairs?

Do you want to know more about secret rooms under stairs?


Again and again I'm surprised what you can do with Lego. And there are real Legoartists.

over at WebUrbanist

For me New York City is still one of the towns with most impressive skyscrapers.

Vintage New York
is a must see post over at Dark Roasted Blend

Nature is an awesome artist.

That's it for today. Come back next week for more ......


Movies

Hey, it's me Fide. I'm a remote control professional. I'm that fast that I can watch two movies at the same time.
But don't worry. All the stuff I present to you will be shown at normal speed.

I must say I did not find a trailer I would like to present you.
Instead I show you a video which contains a video in slow and fast motion.
It is something for all people who like trains and transformers ......


That's all for today. See you next time....

Quotes

I 'm the Keeper of the minutes. But I don't mind when you call me Kotm. No, no. I don't explain to you how to pronounce.

I is quite difficult to search quotes without inspiration. That means today you get random quotes as last week ......

"Famous remarks are very seldom quoted correctly.
Simeon Strunsky, No Mean City (1944), (1879 - 1948)

"2 is not equal to 3, not even for large values of 2.
Grabel's Law

"The quickest way of ending a war is to lose it.
George Orwell, English essayist, novelist, & satirist (1903 - 1950)

6 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

No movie trailer? Must've been a slow week. Animation was cool though.

ediFanoB said...

Alex, I'm sure there are interesting trailers. But to be honest my time for search has been restricted.
And I have been happy when I found the animation.

Shellie - Layers of Thought said...

lol... your posts always make me laugh. I hope you are having a good new year.

Header looks great btw! :)

ediFanoB said...

Dear Shellie,
thank you for your kind comment. I try my best even I'm tired.

Mark Lawrence said...

Looking forward to your review of the Curious Case of the Clockwork Man. I've been ... curious ... about the Curious Case.

ediFanoB said...

Hi Mark,

due to an agreement with publisher I will post my review of The Curious Case of the Clockwork Man in the first week of March.
So far I read 125 pages and it is curious, there is a clockwork man and a lot more. Really, really good stuff ....

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...