Saturday, January 15, 2011

Edi's Weekend Wave #1102

Hello and welcome to issue #02 of Edi's Weekend Wave.
Fortunately I have had a day off on Friday which I used for several things beside relaxing. One result has been the post about Stephen's Surprise Package. As I read last week I'm not the only blogger who has limited time for his blog due to work. No complaints from my side. I'm happy with every post I finish and I enjoy what I'm doing. I'm still surprised about myself because so far I found every day a couple of minutes to continue to play my first online game ever. I think it works because I like it and I watch less TV.

ENJOY READING ....

Edi's Guidepost

The Lighthouse
News and information straight from the horse's mouth by Lighthouse keeper ediFanoB

  1. Blog content and reading progress
Books
The latest report from our shelf shop net correspondent Bona
  1. Books received this week
  2. A debut arise more and more interest .....
Blogosphere
Messages from the depths of the blogosphere by spheronaut Bona Fide
  1. Two books by Pyr contest
  2. Congratulations Dave-Brendon De Burgh
  3. The David Gemmell Legend Award for Fantasy 2011
Movies
Remote control junkie Fide and his zapping highlights
  1. Paul
Quotes
The member of the house of quotes and a quote himself the Keeper of the minutes ( we call him Kotm) fished for you
  1. German proverbs, sayings and idioms Random Quotes ....

The Lighthouse

Today you can see the second update of my reading statistics in the right column of the blog. I'm quite happy with my reading target of 70 pages per day. In the last seven days I read 122 pages more than planned. I hope it will continue.
I finished two books:
- Vampire Empire Book One: The Grey Friar by Clay and Susan Griffith
- Dark Side by Jonathan Green

Only 72 pages left in Veins by Lawrence C. Connolly. And today I started to read the next book: THRALL by Steven Shrewsbury.

Following reviews are in progress:
- The Monarchies of God series by Paul Kearney
- Vampire Empire Book One: The Grey Friar by Clay and Susan Griffith
- Dark Side by Jonathan Green

Last week I told you that I will present you my first review in 2011 on Sunday 16th January. It does not look that bad.

Of course I'm thinking about which books to read next. Half a dozen books are on top of my list:
- Dream of Legends by Stephen Zimmer
- Doomsday Book by Connie Willis
- Gods of Manhattan by Al Ewing
- The Horns of Ruin by Tim Akers
- The Buntline Special by Mike Resnick
- Dreams of Steam anthology engineered by Kimberly Richardson
Four of them are related to steampunk. All in all 2618 pages which means stuff to read for 37 days! Of course I want to review them all. Will see how much time it will take.


Enjoy your weekend ....


Books

Dear readers, I'm the one to tell you about books - only books? What about novellas and other stuff? My name is Bona. I scour shelves, shops and the net for books. If you call me a book whore I would not gainsay you. But be aware I have my own, sometimes elusive taste.

This week I received three books.

The first one I bought on my own. It is a book set in my highly appreciated world of PAX BRITANNIA series. I talk about Gods of Manhattan (2011) [ISBN-13: 978-1906735395] by Al Ewing.
"Blood and Thunder!

"You're in New York. Protocol went out the window the second you arrived. This isn't a protocol kind of town. This is a town that breeds monsters and heroes, geniuses and madmen. This town makes gods, and heaven help you, you wanted to be one of us."
While his sidekick lies bleeding out in hospital, city savior Doc Thunder and Maya, his beautiful companion, attempt to discover the identity of their friend's assailant. The clues lead to secrets altogether older and darker than they could ever have imagined.
The Blood Spider - a name that strikes fear into the hearts of criminals everywhere. But unlike Doc Thunder, this vigilante is willing to kill, and it can only be a matter of time before the two heroes collide.
Mexican masked swordsman El Sombra is visiting the Big Apple, but he's not just any tourist. El Sombra is on a mission of revenge that will take him all the way into the heart of the city's corrupt underworld." [Back of the book]
I look forward to the second adventure of El Sombra. As I wrote above it belongs to the books at top of my list.


I received copies of the following two books due to the courtesy of Tor/Forge.com. Thank you! It is getting more and more difficult to decide what to read next.

Songs of the Dying EarthGods of Manhattan (2011) [ISBN-13: 978-0765320865] edited by George R.R. MArtin and Gardner Dozois.
"Danny North knew from early childhood that his family was different, and that he was different from them. While his cousins were learning how to create the things that commoners called fairies, ghosts, golems, trolls, werewolves, and other such miracles that were the heritage of the North family, Danny worried that he would never show a talent, never form an outself.
He grew up in the rambling old house, filled with dozens of cousins, and aunts and uncles, all ruled by his father. Their home was isolated in the mountains of western Virginia, far from town, far from schools, far from other people.
There are many secrets in the House, and many rules that Danny must follow. There is a secret library with only a few dozen books, and none of them in English — but Danny and his cousins are expected to become fluent in the language of the books. While Danny’s cousins are free to create magic whenever they like, they must never do it where outsiders might see.
Unfortunately, there are some secrets kept from Danny as well. And that will lead to disaster for the North family." [Inside of the book cover]
This book is a real door stopper. I was not sure whether I receive a review copy or not. Therefore it is not at top of my list.


The Lost Gate (2011) [ISBN-13: 978-0765326577] by Orson Scott Card
"Danny North knew from early childhood that his family was different, and that he was different from them. While his cousins were learning how to create the things that commoners called fairies, ghosts, golems, trolls, werewolves, and other such miracles that were the heritage of the North family, Danny worried that he would never show a talent, never form an outself.
He grew up in the rambling old house, filled with dozens of cousins, and aunts and uncles, all ruled by his father. Their home was isolated in the mountains of western Virginia, far from town, far from schools, far from other people.
There are many secrets in the House, and many rules that Danny must follow. There is a secret library with only a few dozen books, and none of them in English — but Danny and his cousins are expected to become fluent in the language of the books. While Danny’s cousins are free to create magic whenever they like, they must never do it where outsiders might see.
Unfortunately, there are some secrets kept from Danny as well. And that will lead to disaster for the North family." [Inside of the book cover]
I must admit that I did not expect to receive a copy of . Therefore I don't know when to read and review it. Of course it sounds interesting. But to be honest I have dozen of interesting books on my shelf - all unread. Anyway I recommend to read The Lost Gate by Orson Scott Card (Reviewed by Robert Thompson) for more information.


Last week I posted about the debut novel of authorDaniel Polansky.
Doubleday will publish the book in US and Canada on August 16, 201. Title: LOW TOWN
Hodder & Stoughton will publish the book in UK and Commonwealth on August 18, 2011. Title:
THE STRAIGHT RAZOR CURE

US Cover

This week told me that beside German, French, Spanish, Croat and Polish more languages coming soon! I can't tell you details because some of the negotiations are not finished yet.
I will keep you informed.
Anyway that means the book aroused a lot of interest by foreign publishers. I'm impressed.


No more today, see you next week ......

Blogosphere

Hey, I'm Bona Fide. I just came back from my last foray through the blogosphere. What can you expect from me? I tell you: Everything from Art to Fart as long as there is any faint connection to books. And here is some honey from the beehive blogosphere...

Sometime ago I won four Pyr books. In the meantime I read - Vampire Empire Book One: The Grey Friar by Clay and Susan Griffith and I will read The Horns of Ruin by Tim Akers soon.
You would like to read these two books too? Then I recommend to to read WEx January Contest - Two Books by Pyr over at Voyages Extraordinaire. By leaving a comment until January 30th you get the opportunity to win the two mentioned books. But attention:
"To enter, please leave a comment to this post. Note, however, that your profile must have an e-mail link. Unfortunately I've had a few too many non-responses from would-be winners who have not. If your profile does not have an e-mail, you will be automatically disqualified!!"
Good luck to all participants.


You may have noticed that a lot of blogger started writing projects. Don't worry, I don't have any ambitions. But fellow blogger I still follow Dave because it was him who helped me to get in contact with author Stephen Zimmer.
And yesterday he reached a milestone:
For the first time he wrote ONE HUNDRED THOUSAND WORDS in one project!!!

KUDOS and CONGRATULATIONS!!

I'm keen to read the final result one day. Dave, Good luck for the rest of the book.


A new year also means a new voting for THE DAVID GEMMELL LEGEND AWARD 2011. As you may know I'm a member. Visit the site and have a look at the so far nominated books.
You can vote in three different categories:





Visit The David Gemmell Legend Awards


That's it for today. Come back next week for more ......


Movies

Hey, it's me Fide. I'm a remote control professional. I'm that fast that I can watch two movies at the same time.
But don't worry. All the stuff I present to you will be shown at normal speed.

I must say for me it sounds interesting enough to give it a try, in case it will be aired in Germany.
So let's have a look at the trailer ....


That's all for today. See you next time....

Quotes

I 'm the Keeper of the minutes. But I don't mind when you call me Kotm. No, no. I don't explain to you how to pronounce.

I is quite difficult to search quotes without inspiration. That means today you get random quotes ......

"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people.
W. C. Fields, US actor (1880 - 1946)

"Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together....
Carl Zwanzig

"Committee--a group of men who individually can do nothing but as a group decide that nothing can be done.
Fred Allen, US radio comedian (1894 - 1956)

"This is not a novel to be tossed aside lightly. It should be thrown with great force.
Dorothy Parker, US author, humorist, poet, & wit (1893 - 1967)

2 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I'll give Paul a try! And 100,000 words sounds daunting.

ediFanoB said...

@Alex,

I showed the Paul trailer to my wife. And we both decided to watch Paul.

Our next movie will be TRON:Legacy.

I assume you counted the words for CassaStaR. And I estimate you used less than 100,000 words. Am I right? I'm just nosey.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...