Sunday, January 02, 2011

Edi's Lighthouse Chatter: Good News on 2nd January

Dear Readers,

I still can't believe it. I'm back. I spent a lot of hours and it is still not perfect.

Let me explain what I did after the crash of my operating system openSUSE 10.3 which is Linux one.

I use an old IBM R50 with just 512 MB Ram which means it is not the fastest but good enough to communicate with the "world".

I did not want to install the same version of the operating again because because there are some limits but I still wanted to use Linux.

Fortunately we have a second PC. I decided to download an image (4.7 GB) of the latest openSUSE version 11.3. It took nearly three hours due to our bandwith.
During the download I read a lot of information about the new version (new desktop environments, new functions, new menus and so on) in order to get an understanding. Beside KDE and GNOME a third one - LXDE - is offered for installation. LXDE aroused my interest because it is especially designed for older PC, new generation netbooks and other small computers.

To burn the image on a DVD was not a problem.

Installation took a while because I struggled a bit with the partitioning of the hard disk.
Then next hurdle has been the connection to our wlan. But to my surprise I managed it after two hours.
So I'm back with basic functions. In the following days I have to restore my data, finalize the setting of firefox and install additional programs.

In the end I'm happy with the LXDE desktop environment and openSUSE 11.3. It is really fast and lean. It fits perfectly for my purposes.

And this is a screenshot of my new lean desktop

2 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

And nine out of ten people won't have a clue what you just said! (I'm not one of them though.)
Glad you're back up - nothing about a computer is simple, is it?

ediFanoB said...

Alex,
I agree with you that not that many people understand what I said.
As you understood you will be in demand.
Lots of user try to find someone who will have a look at their computer.
I like to have a clue about what I use.
And to be honest, when you have a blog it is really helpful to know html ....

Computer are as simple as modern cars ;-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...