Saturday, December 25, 2010

Edi's Weekend Wave #52

Hello and welcome to issue #52 of Edi's Weekend Wave.
Unbelievable but true this is the last issue within 2010. When you look around the blogosphere you see a lot of best of lists and Christmas wishes. That means there is not that much I can present you today. Anyhow enjoy your holidays and

ENJOY READING ....

Edi's Guidepost

The Lighthouse
News and information straight from the horse's mouth by Lighthouse keeper ediFanoB

  1. Blog content and reading progress
  2. Christmas gifts
Books
The latest report from our shelf shop net correspondent Bona
  1. Books received this week
  2. I wanted but I did not find the time
Blogosphere
Messages from the depths of the blogosphere by spheronaut Bona Fide
  1. ........: Nature's "Swiss Army Knife"
  2. Acrophobia
  3. Best 2010 fantasy books
Movies
Remote control junkie Fide and his zapping highlights
  1. 1884
Quotes
The member of the house of quotes and a quote himself the Keeper of the minutes ( we call him Kotm) fished for you
  1. German proverbs, sayings and idioms The Shakespeare Quote Generator ....

The Lighthouse

As I told you yesterday Bona, Fide, Bona Fide and KotM returned which I appreciated a lot. They did not tell me where and how they spent the past weeks. But it seems I can't expect more from them until the end of the year than the videos I presented you yesterday. They are really tired.

This morning, when I looked out of the window over the snow covered meadows and trees I thought about what to post until the end of 2010.
And this is the result: Beside issue #52 of the Weekend Wave you will get my review of The Half-Made World by Felix Gilman and my big fat end of the year post which will cover different topics.

Attention: There will be no Weekend Wave on Saturday, January 1st, 2011! Instead you will go a New Year post. I hope, you will understand.


I told you last week that I need to hurry up reading. When I want to finish
-The Monarchies of God series by Paul Kearney (second omnibus, contains three books)
-The Half-Made World by Felix Gilman (hc)
- Kraken by China Miéville (pb)

Today I can tell you that
- I finished The Half-Made World by Felix Gilman (hc)
- I'm on page 152 of Kraken by China Miéville (pb)
- I finished the first of three books in the second omnibus of The Monarchies of God series by Paul Kearney

Will definitely be a challenge to finish them ... less sleep more time to read

This year we decided to restrict the number of Christmas gifts. I think it has been a good decision because everyone got the gift he/she really wanted. I got earrings and the latest CD from one of my favorite bands: Everything Remains As It Never Was by Eluveitie
And this one of the songs from the album



Enjoy your weekend ....

Books

Dear readers, I'm the one to tell you about books - only books? What about novellas and other stuff? My name is Bona. I scour shelves, shops and the net for books. If you call me a book whore I would not gainsay you. But be aware I have my own, sometimes elusive taste.

This week we received no book. As I told you I still wait for two packages. I'm not sure when they will arrive.


But I still wait for two packages. One contains four books I won in a giveaway and the other one is a surprise. I really hope they will be delivered until Christmas.


I'm a big fan of the PAX BRITANNIA series (for a post history click here).
In the meantime I bought a copy of the latest book in the series - Dark Side (pb, 2011) [ISBN-13: 978-1906735852] by Jonathan Green.
BUT so far I did not find the time to read and review it. Yesterday evening I could read what I have missed.
Graeme posted his review of Dark Side over at his blog Graeme's Fantasy Book Review. He likes the series as much as I do. I must find a way to read it soon ......

No more today, see you next week ......

Blogosphere

Hey, I'm Bona Fide. I just came back from my last foray through the blogosphere. What can you expect from me? I tell you: Everything from Art to Fart as long as there is any faint connection to books. And here is some honey from the beehive blogosphere...

The time has come to visit Dark Roasted Blend again.
You must read the following post about an animal which is

Be Different! and Stay Different - for 166 million years!
This weirdest mammal has webbed feet, lays eggs and sweats milk
......


I found the post interesting and the pictures impressing. Ihope you will enjoy it as much as I did.


Do you suffer from acrophobia like I do? Then you should definitely avoid to see and read following post over at WebUrbanist:




I entered best 2010 fantasy books in Google and pressed enter. I received mixed results. Some showed lists from 2009 but posted in 2010.
That means if you are keen to check out best of lists you have several possibilities. To be honest I prefer to have a look at the lists of all the blogs I follow. It is quite interesting to see the different tastes. Anyway it is a good starting point to look for books you may have missed in 2010.



That's it for today. Come back next week for more ......

Movies

Hey, it's me Fide. I'm a remote control professional. I'm that fast that I can watch two movies at the same time.
But don't worry. All the stuff I present to you will be shown at normal speed.

Let me start with a message from August 2009:
"Our friends over at Opium have discovered what looks to be the first feature length steampunk film. Truly victorian and set in 1884, it's a mixture of animation, puppetry, and 2d and 3d cgi against mattes, models and period photographs. Wow, that sounds like a tall order, but if you've ever seen the likes of Osbert Parker's mixed media short films, then you know how cool this could be. We don't have very many details but we know it's going to be a comedy so check out the details below and we have a promo trailer after the break which looks quite rough, but I'm sure they're going to make this look spectacular.
A story of outstanding heroism in the face of deception, subterfuge and treachery. Conjuring up the belief that it was made forty years before film was even invented, 1884: Yesterday's Future tells of a future that might have been but never was. »" [Source]


That sounded promising .... A year of silence followed. A few days ago Screen Rant posted
Terry Gilliam Working On Animated Film Titled '1884'. Read the post for details.

So far two videos are available: An animation test and a promo trailer. Of course I show you both. I can't wait to see the whole movie.





That's all for today. See you next time....

Quotes

I 'm the Keeper of the minutes. But I don't mind when you call me Kotm. No, no. I don't explain to you how to pronounce.
Today you do not get any quotes. Instead you can create your own quote by using the



William Shakespeare
I shall despair. There is no creature loves me;
And if I die no giant squid will pity me.
Which work of Shakespeare was the original quote from?
Get your own quotes:

I entered giant squid and received the result above.
Highlight the line between x and xx in order to read the answer:
x
Richard III, V.iii, (the missing word was 'soul')
xx

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...