Saturday, December 18, 2010

Edi's Weekend Wave #51

Hello and welcome to issue #51 of Edi's Weekend Wave.
The last but one issue within 2010. It is the time for all the best of lists and retrospects. Will I do that? Yes. Because I like big fat end of the year posts and because this my first year with my own blog. But I will do it in my very own way. So expect a few posts between Christmas and new year.
March 2011 will be definitely an interesting month for me -headword: one book and one movie (read more within this post). Even there are still two weeks to go until the end of 2010 there is one thing which me really saddens: I read less books in 2010 than in 2009 .....

ENJOY READING ....

Edi's Guidepost

The Lighthouse
News and information straight from the horse's mouth by Lighthouse keeper ediFanoB
  1. An early Christmas gift
  2. Blog content and reading progress
Books
The latest report from our shelf shop net correspondent Bona
  1. Books received this week
  2. Early reviews
  3. Book Trailer
Blogosphere
Messages from the depths of the blogosphere by spheronaut Bona Fide
  1. 2010 Goodreads Choice Awards
  2. Nature Art: Wind, Water and Ice
  3. Giveaway
  4. The modern way of blogging: Podcasts
  5. Bloggiesta
  6. Christmas - Gifts - Why not buy something different?
Movies
Remote control junkie Fide and his zapping highlights
  1. Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides
  2. Sucker Punch
  3. Sucker Punch Music
Quotes
The member of the house of quotes and a quote himself the Keeper of the minutes ( we call him Kotm) fished for you
  1. German proverbs, sayings and idioms Today the quote of yesterday ....

The Lighthouse

Three days ago I received a very kind mail from Shellie Nunn Layers of Thought. She offered me to create a header for my blog. I felt flattered. You should know that Shellie did the headers on Grasping for the Wind for John Ottinger. Without hesitation I agreed.
Since today (December 18th, 2010) you see the result. I hope you like it as much as I do.
THANK YOU SO MUCH SHELLIE!

I told you last week that I need to hurry up reading. When I want to finish
-The Monarchies of God series by Paul Kearney (second omnibus, contains three books)
-The Half-Made World by Felix Gilman (hc)
- Kraken by China Miéville (pb)
by end of December I need to read 117 pages per day. But so far I believe I can do it. Only 155 pages until the end of the awesome The Half-Made World ...

Enjoy your weekend ....

Books

Dear readers, I'm the one to tell you about books - only books? What about novellas and other stuff? My name is Bona. I scour shelves, shops and the net for books. If you call me a book whore I would not gainsay you. But be aware I have my own, sometimes elusive taste.

This week we received no book. But I still wait for two packages. One contains four books I won in a giveaway and the other one is a surprise. I really hope they will be delivered until Christmas.

When do you read reviews? Several months before a book hits the book stores? Why I ask?
In March 2011 you can buy the highly acclaimed The Wise Man's Fear (March, 2011) [ISBN-13: 978-0756404734] by Patrick Rothfuss.
"Day Two: The Wise Man's Fear.

"There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man."
An escalating rivalry with a powerful member of the nobility forces Kvothe to leave the University and seek his fortune abroad. Adrift, penniless, and alone, he travels to Vintas, where he quickly becomes entangled in the politics of courtly society. While attempting to curry favor with a powerful noble, Kvothe discovers an assassination attempt, comes into conflict with a rival arcanist, and leads a group of mercenaries into the wild, in an attempt to solve the mystery of who (or what) is waylaying travelers on the King's road.
All the while, Kvothe searches for answers, attempting to uncover the truth about the mysterious Amyr, the Chandrian, and the death of his parents. Along the way, Kvothe is put on trial by the legendary Adem mercenaries, forced to reclaim the honor of the Edema Ruh, and travels into the Fae realm. There he meets Felurian, the faerie woman no man can resist, and who no man has ever survived. Under her tutelage, Kvothe learns much about true magic and the ways of women.
In The Wise Man's Fear Kvothe takes his first steps on the path of the hero and learns how difficult life can be when a man becomes a legend in his own time." [Source]

This week you could read the first review. To be honest it is one of the books I'm waiting for. But I don't want to read a review about a book in December which will be published in March next year.


Sometimes I prefer to quote a text instead of writing it on my own because I know the result would not be better. Even I would spend hours. Here is an example:
"Joe Abercrombie is the most successful fantasy novelist of his generation, with a remarkable, cynical and powerful voice cutting through the cliches of the fantasy genre to create something compelling and exceptionally commercial. With a strong core readership already behind him, each new novel breaks new ground - the epic fantasy quest in The First Law Trilogy, revenge fantasy with the hit BEST SERVED COLD, and now, with THE HEROES, venturing into the dangerous and topical territory of war. Set over three days, in the same world as BEST SERVED COLD, the action is compelling and fast, the battlefield is muddy, bloody and horrible and Joe Abercrombie uses his fantasy setting to explore violence and ambition, strategy and the truism that no plan survives contact with enemy. The characters are the stars, as ever, and the message is dark: when it comes to war, there are no heroes ..." [Source]
Instead of a cover and a blurb I present you the book trailer....


No more today, see you next week ......

Blogosphere

Hey, I'm Bona Fide. I just came back from my last foray through the blogosphere. What can you expect from me? I tell you: Everything from Art to Fart as long as there is any faint connection to books. And here is some honey from the beehive blogosphere...

Dou you know  Goodreads? A great place to organize your books and of course to meet other book addicted. Whether you are a member or not you can take part in the



So far more than 117600 people voted for their book.
And when wil you vote??

Nature is a great artist! I like lighthouses. And I like much more the result of the combination of lighthouse, water, wind and frost shown in the following video. It looks like an import from a fantasy world. In the meantime I watched it a dozen times ........



Would you like to win the firs three books in the The Legend of Eli Monpress series by Rachel Aaron? Then you must definitely hurry up as they select one winner on Monday, December 20th!!! Go immediately to Orbit Books and read Epic Loot 4: The Legend of Eli Monpress for details. It seems this one is opened world wide. GOOD LUCK!!


Last week I wrote about the Un:Bound Video Editions which I found worth viewing. But there are more things to discover - maybe not for all of you but for me.
Today I want to talk about Podcast. Of course I know they are nothing new under the sun. So far I did not really listen to podcast. It changed within last week When I discovered Episode 037 Clay & Susan Griffith over at The Functional Nerds. Patrick Hester and John Anealio interviewed Clay and Susan Griffith. They are the authors of The Greyfriar: Vampire Empire Book One.  I found the whole interview entertaining, informative and interspersed with humor.
Epsiode 037 means there are still 36 podcast to discover over at The Functional Nerds. Just go and listen.....



This is the second time today that I mention Shellie and her blog Layers of Thought. Yesterday she wrote about Want a better blog? ~ Bloggiesta is Coming! What a question! Most of the blogger want a better blog. And therefore it is worth to share word about an upcoming event which looks to be helpful combined with work and fun.
"It’s already time for the fourth edition of Bloggiesta! Are you a blogger? (With apologies to those who are not). If so, this event is just for you! Bloggiesta is scheduled for January 21st, 22nd, and 23rd. The beginning of the year is a great time to evaluate your blog, see how you’re doing, and get re-energized for the rest of the year!
Some of you may be asking what is Bloggiesta? In short, it’s a blogging marathon. A opportunity to cross those nagging items off of your to-do list and improve your blog while in the good company of other awesome bloggers doing the same thing. Our awesome mascot Pedro (Plan. Edit. Develop. Review. Organize) is ready to break out the nachos, enchiladas, drinks, mariachi music and whack a pinata or two! It’s nothing short of an awesome fiesta!" [Source]

Now you have a first impression of the Bloggiesta. For full details and how you can take part please read
Mark Your Calendars for the 4th Edition of Bloggiesta!


Only a few days left to buy Christmas gifts. Fortunately you find a lot of recommendations in the blogosphere.
You may know that more and more people are interested in steampunk. What's about your dear and near ones?
In case yuou like for some different Christmas gifts or you would like to initialize the first step into steampunk then I highly recommend to read following post where you will find goggles, books and more ..... Enjoy shopping ......




That's it for today. Come back next week for more ......

Movies

Hey, it's me Fide. I'm a remote control professional. I'm that fast that I can watch two movies at the same time.
But don't worry. All the stuff I present to you will be shown at normal speed.

Of course the following trailer is wandering from blog to blog. I could not withstand because I like Captain Sparrow a lot. Perfect Summer entertainment. And I prefer to watch this trailer instead of looking out of the window where it is snowing ....




SUCKER PUNCH
Sucker Punch is definitely a sucker punch for the eyes. I can't wait to see all these effects on a big screen. Zeppelins, dragons, mechs and more - unbelievable...
March 2011- The month of Sucker Punch and The Wise Man's Fear by Patrick Rothfuss - awesome. In the mean time watch the following video which includes comments by actors, Zack Snyder and more ...



Do you know the song played in the beginning of the trailer? It is from 1971 which means it is nearly 30 years old. The title of the song is When the Levee Breaks and this version is performed by the legendary Led Zeppelin.


But the song is much much older:
" "When the Levee Breaks" is a blues song written and first recorded by husband and wife Kansas Joe McCoy and Memphis Minnie in 1929. The song is in reaction to the upheaval caused by the Great Mississippi Flood of 1927." [Source]

And now listen to seven minutes of ecstatic music





That's all for today. See you next time....

Quotes

I 'm the Keeper of the minutes. But I don't mind when you call me Kotm. No, no. I don't explain to you how to pronounce.
There has been a lot of snow in Germany from Thursday to Friday which lead to endless traffic jam. A lot of motorways have been closed.
I found the quote which fits perfectly to the described situation .....


"Every mile is two in winter.
George Herbert,English clergyman and metaphysical poet (1593 - 1633)

2 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

The frozen lighthouse video was wild!
Saw the Pirates trailer today before Tron:Legacy. (Which by the way, was incredibly fun and mezmerizing.)
Might have to participate in the Bloggiesta, although the only thing I really need to update is my blogroll.
Your new header is great!

ediFanoB said...

Alex,

Shellie did a great job with the new header!

Hopefully the lighthouse has been empty while it froze.

Bloggiesta is interesting for me because I know I have to change/update several things.

To be honest Tron is not my cupy of tea.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...