Saturday, November 13, 2010

Edi's Weekend Wave #46

Hello and welcome to issue #46 of Edi's Weekend Wave.
what shall I say. It is autumn. A lot of work needs to be done. I'm tired. But I want to read and to write posts. I think I should replace the word PLAN by the word WISH. Today I will tell a bit about my wishes until the end of 2010. I think the progress of my blog turns to be something sad and disappointing for me and also for you. But fortunately I'm no ostrich......
And here we go: ENJOY READING ....


Edi's Guidepost

The Lighthouse
News and information straight from the horse's mouth by Lighthouse keeper ediFanoB
  1. Blog content
Books
The latest report from our shelf shop net correspondent Bona
  1. Books received this week
  2. Christmas: Win books
Blogosphere
Messages from the depths of the blogosphere by spheronaut Bona Fide
  1. How a Police Court is Worked
  2. Mini Buildings With Mighty Details
  3. Make-Believe Miniatures and a place worth to visit
Movies
Remote control junkie Fide and his zapping highlights
  1. The Finale Part One
Quotes
The member of the house of quotes and a quote himself the Keeper of the minutes ( we call him Kotm) fished for you
  1. German proverbs, sayings and idioms Georg Christoph Lichtenberg ....

The Lighthouse

I talked about the replacement of the word PLAN by WISH. When I post a plan it is like a promise for me and normally I keep my promises. But it is getting difficult for me. So decided to be very careful with my promises.

So far I read 49 books. "Only" 17 behind my plan. I wanted to read six books per month. All gone with the wind.
Now I wish to finish 2010 by 60 books.
I stopped to read The Belly of the Bow by K. J. Parker because I'm not in the right mood to enjoy it. Instead I started to read Under the Dome (pb, 2010) [ISBN-13: 978-0340992586] by Stephen King which is the one book beside Kraken (tbp, 2010) [ISBN-13: 978-0333989517]by China Miéville I definitely want to read until the end of 2010.
Reading The Last Page by Anthony Huso takes a lot more time than expected. There are so many words which I don't understand and which I also do not find in my dictionary. Therefore I have to use online dictionaries. Of course I know my English is far from being perfect but I must admit that Anthony Huso use a lot of words I don't know. Beside that I like The Last Page a lot. He has created a very unique world.

I still work on my The Monarchies of God series by Paul Kearney project and I hope to post my results within December 2010. So far I can tell you that The Monarchies of God is an awesome series and when the rest of the books will be as good as the first two books it will be definitely my favorite series of 2010.

Yesterday I posted my first review in November which made my happy. Linden Lewis did a great job with his debut novel Human Secrets.

I don't know where Bona, Fide, Bona Fide and KotM are. I hope they will return soon to write some more posts in the series xx days until Christmas 2010.

When everything goes well I will deliver my next review tomorrow (Sunday, November 14th).

Enjoy your weekend ....

Books

Dear readers, I'm the one to tell you about books - only books? What about novellas and other stuff? My name is Bona. I scour shelves, shops and the net for books. If you call me a book whore I would not gainsay you. But be aware I have my own, sometimes elusive taste.

This week we received three books. One of them I bought on my own. The other two copies I received by courtesy of Tor/Forge. I'm quite happy that I received these books because both are on my list and I don't know when paperback editions will be published.

First book from Tor/Forge belongs to science fiction.
"Earth is conquered. The Shongairi have arrived in force, and humanity's cities lie in radioactive ruins. In mere minutes, over half the human race has died.
Now Master Sergeant Stephen Buchevsky, who thought he was being rotated home from his latest tour in Afghanistan, finds himself instead prowling the back country of the Balkans, dodging alien patrols and trying to organize the scattered survivors without getting killed.
His chances look bleak. The aliens have definitely underestimated human tenacity--but no amount of heroism can endlessly hold off overwhelming force.
Then, emerging from the mountains and forests of Eastern Europe, new allies present themselves to the ragtag human resistance. Predators, creatures of the night, human in form but inhumanly strong. Long Enemies of humanity...until now. Because now is the time to defend Earth." [Source]
This is the blurb of Out of the Dark (hc, 2010) [ISBN-13: 978-0765325525] by David Weber. I must admit so far I did not read a book by David Weber.


I wrote about the next book - The Half-Made World (hc, 2010) [ISBN-13: 978-0765325525] by Felix Gilman - in issue #42 of Edi's Weekend Wave. One of my favorite reviewers - Liviu Suciu - posted his review of The Half-Made World over at Fantasy Book Critic. He convinced me to add the book to my list. Last Monday, Sarah from Bookworm Blues wrote in her review of The Half-Made World:
"I can promise you one thing. You’ve never read a book like this before. Fantasy met the Wild West and this incredible book was borne from that unique union."
That reminded me of and I was thinking about when the paperback will be published. Since Friday I do not need to think about t any longer because Tor/Forge sent me a copy of The Half-Made World. Now I have another (luxury) problem.Where do I steel time from in order to read it?

Ever read a book by Australian author Joel Shepherd? He is the author of the science fiction series Cassandra Kresnov and the fantasy series Trial of Blood and Steel. I read and reviewed Crossover (pb, 2006) [ISBN-13: 978-1591027379] which is the first book in the Cassandra Kresnov series. I liked it a lot. And yes I own an unread copy of Sasha (pb, 2009) [ISBN-13: 978-1591027874] and Petrodor (pb, 2010) [ISBN-13: 978-1616141936] which are the first two books in the Trial of Blood and Steel series. Now I bought a copy of Tracato (pb, 2010) [ISBN-13: 978-1616142445] which is the third book in the Trial of Blood and Steel series.

Read the reviews over at Fantasy Literature which give you a good overview what to expect.

Christmas is coming nearer every day. But there is still enough time to buy gifts. But maybe you would like to try something different. Why not take part in giveaways. I tried to find some world wide giveaways, so everyone who reads this post can take part.

As you know I'm reading the The Monarchies of God series by Paul Kearney. You would like to win the series?
Take your chance and visit Pat's Fantasy Hotlist and
Good Luck!

In July I reviewed Stop Me (2009) [ISBN-13: 978-0749007133] by Richard Jay Parker

"Howdy doody
Forward this email to ten friends.
Each of those friends must forward it to ten friends.
Maybe one of those friends of friends of friends will be one of my friends.
If this email ends up in my inbox within a week,
I won't slit the bitch's throat.
Can you afford not to send this onto ten friends?
Vacation Killer"

Author Richard Jay Parker started his Christmas Serial Killer competition.
"It's nearly that time of year when the goose is getting fat and everyone wants to snuggle up by the fire with a good serial killer. Am giving away a couple of signed copies of STOP ME which I hope the winners will enjoy over the festive season. All you have to do is email me the name of a suitably sinister Christmas serial killer. The most creative will receive a copy for their stocking. Closing date is 10th December. Winners will be announced on this site and informed by email. Email entries to richard@richardjayparker.com
Best of Luck and thanks for entering."
Now let's return to the awesome Pat's Fantasy Hotlist. I'm a participant of following giveaway:
Pat offers three copies of the stories in honor of Jack Vance.
Good Luck



No more today, see you next week ......

Blogosphere

Hey, I'm Bona Fide. I just came back from my last foray through the blogosphere. What can you expect from me? I tell you: Everything from Art to Fart as long as there is any faint connection to books. And here is some honey from the beehive blogosphere...

As I told you before I don't know where Bona Fide is. Therefore I had to check the blogosphere on my own.
It is a bit different compared to Bona Fide's posts. But I hope you like what I have found for you.

In case you look for an interesting Victorian related blog then I recommend to have a look at
Do you would like to know how a London Police Court is worked in 1890? Then I highly recommend to read


I have a soft spot for miniatures. Fortunately WebUrbanist, one of the blogs I follow, post about miniatures from time to time. And if you like miniatures too then I highly recommend to have a look at following two posts which include tons of pictures:

Following video gives you a first impression what to expect...



Watch the amazing photos of Make-Believe Miniatures

I hope that one day I get the opportunity to go to Hamburg in Germany, in order to visit




That's it for today. Come back next week for more ......

Movies

Hey, it's me Fide. I'm a remote control professional. I'm that fast that I can watch two movies at the same time.
But don't worry. All the stuff I present to you will be shown at normal speed.

This weekend there is no space for other trailers than The Finale Part one. Watch TV spots #2-9 in just one video....



That's all for today. See you next time....

Quotes

I 'm the Keeper of the minutes. But I don't mind when you call me Kotm. No, no. I don't explain to you how to pronounce.
Today I chose two quotes from the German scientist, satirist and Anglophile Georg Christoph Lichtenberg (1742 - 1799). Both are related to books and I just like them .....
"When a book and a head collide and there is a hollow sound, is it always from the book?
Georg Christoph Lichtenberg (1742 - 1799)

"A book is a mirror; if an ass peers into it, you can not expect an apostle to peer out.
Georg Christoph Lichtenberg (1742 - 1799)

5 comments:

Seak (Bryce L.) said...

I decided the same thing about The Half-Made World. I have to read it after all the reviews lately.

Looking forward to your reviews in the next few weeks. Some good ones on the horizon it looks like.

Sarah said...

I really hope you enjoy The Half-Made World. It was probably one of my favorite reads so far this year.

ediFanoB said...

Hi Seak and Sarah,

after reading your comments I added The Half-Made World to my must read until end of 2010 list. That means this list contains now three books:
Under the Dome by Stephen King
Kraken by China Mieville
The Half-Made World by Felix Gilman

Sarah, after reading your review I have high expectations.

Seak, the number of reviews depends on the number of books I read :-)
But I really hope to write and post a few reviews within the next weeks.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

For the next few weeks, it'll be all about Harry Potter.

ediFanoB said...

@Alex,

that is true. Nothing to add except that I read all the books and watched all the movies so far....

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...