Saturday, November 06, 2010

Edi's Weekend Wave #45

Hello and welcome to issue #45 of Edi's Weekend Wave.
Last week the Weekend Wave has been a bit short but hopefully interesting. This week I have to offer more.
I can't remember last time when I received eight books within one week.
Enough words. Don't let me keep you.

ENJOY READING ....


Edi's Guidepost

The Lighthouse
News and information straight from the horse's mouth by Lighthouse keeper ediFanoB
  1. Blog content
Books
The latest report from our shelf shop net correspondent Bona
  1. Books, books, books received this week
Blogosphere
Messages from the depths of the blogosphere by spheronaut Bona Fide
  1. Information from Seventh Star Press: Thrall by Steven L. Shrewsbury
  2. Blogging the Civil War
  3. Jonathan Green: First Vlog
Movies
Remote control junkie Fide and his zapping highlights
  1. Sucker Punch
Quotes
The member of the house of quotes and a quote himself the Keeper of the minutes ( we call him Kotm) fished for you
  1. German proverbs, sayings and idioms Home ....

The Lighthouse

I'm aware that the numbers of posts dropped down dramatically since I returned to work. That's life. I don't complain.
I still work on my The Monarchies of God series by Paul Kearney project. But I think I have update my schedule. My wish is to post it in 2010. Beside that I will push Bona, Fide, Bona Fide and KotM to wrote some more posts in the series xx days until Christmas 2010. And there is still my Book Twister post in progress ...
The cherry on the cake would be for me to write and post four reviews in November.
We will see.
Anyhow to make life a bit easier for you let me tell you that you can expect new posts on following days of the week: Wednesday, Saturday and Sunday.

Enjoy your weekend ....

Books

Dear readers, I'm the one to tell you about books - only books? What about novellas and other stuff? My name is Bona. I scour shelves, shops and the net for books. If you call me a book whore I would not gainsay you. But be aware I have my own, sometimes elusive taste.

This week we received eight books. Five of them I bought on my own. Let me start with the ones I received for reviewing purpose.

You may have noticed that I have a soft spot for small publishers. From time to time I receive review requests from small publishers and every time when a book arise my interest I agree to review it. This week Francesca Yarde-Buller from Smith Publicity has been so kind to send me a copy of Human Secrets (pb, 2010) [ISBN-13: 978-1848764408]by Linden Lewis. For me Linden Lewis is a kind of late bloomer because it is not usual to write his debut novel in the age of 54. But the main reason why I want to read Human Secrets is the following text which you also find on the back of the book:
"Humanity has a secret; a dark secret that has lingered undicovered for millennia. When Guy Hewson, a you Professor of Egyptology, uncovers a strange relic, the secret is destined to be revealed with catastrophic consequences.
After an attempt on his life, the professor seeks help from his friends who are drawn into dangerous scenario of adventure and romance far removed from their everyday lives.
As they attempt to stay one step ahead of the police and a murderous third party, a reanimated threat to mankind is looming on the horizon. Can a group of ordinary people in extraordinary circumstances prevent destruction from the enemy at the gates?"
After reading 140 pages of 268 I can tell it is indeed an unusual book. I like it a lot and look forward to tell you more about Human Secrets soon.

I received copies of the following two books by courtesy of Tor/Forge.
Let me start with the real unexpected one:
Twilight Forever Rising (pb, 2010) [ISBN-13: 978-0765326799] by LenaMeydan.
"Darel Ericson of the Dahanavar clan is a rarity among his vampire brethren: he's an empath, strong enough to occasionally read thought as well as emotion. For centuries, his power has given the Dahanavar a significant advantage against the machinations of the other vampire families, an advantage which makes Darel both a powerful tool and a highly visible target.
Fortunately for Darel, it is more useful for the heads of the other clans to maintain the centuries-long peace between the houses. But can that truce hold against the will of the dangerous head of the House of Nachterret, a cunning and violent vampire who is tired of hiding his presence in the world? The Nachterret would like nothing more than have free reign over the helpless human cattle upon which they feed.
Darel, and the human woman he loves, become central to the Nachterret's scheme to plunge the Houses into all out war, potentially revealing the presence of vampires to humanity and ruining life as they know it. Darel is ultimately forced to face the question: is one young woman's life too high a price to pay for peace?" [Source: Back of the book]
I must admit that this is normally not my cup of tea. Therefore I asked my wife to read it - she likes this kind of stuff - and tell a a bit about it. Then I will decide whether to read it or not....

The author of my favorite novel in 2009 is also the author of the next book from Tor/Forge. Steampunk is the keyword. I must admit that I read mixed reviews of Dreadnought (pb, 2010) [ISBN-13: 978-0765325785] by Cherie Priest.
"Nurse Mercy Lynch is elbows deep in bloody laundry at a war hospital in Richmond, Virginia, when Clara Barton comes bearing bad news: Mercy's husband has died in a POW camp. On top of that, a telegram from the west coast declares that her estranged father is gravely injured, and he wishes to see her. Mercy sets out toward the Mississippi River. Once there, she'll catch a train over the Rockies and--if the telegram can be believed--be greeted in Washington Territory by the sheriff, who will take her to see her father in Seattle.
Reaching the Mississippi is a harrowing adventure by dirigible and rail through war-torn border states. When Mercy finally arrives in St. Louis, the only Tacoma-bound train is pulled by a terrifying Union-operated steam engine called the Dreadnought. Reluctantly, Mercy buys a ticket and climbs aboard.
What ought to be a quiet trip turns deadly when the train is beset by bushwhackers, then vigorously attacked by a band of Rebel soldiers. The train is moving away from battle lines into the vast, unincorporated west, so Mercy can't imagine why they're so interested. Perhaps the mysterious cargo secreted in the second and last train cars has something to do with it?
Mercy is just a frustrated nurse who wants to see her father before he dies. But she'll have to survive both Union intrigue and Confederate opposition if she wants to make it off the Dreadnought alive. [Source]

More steampunk with a female main character. Anyhow I recommend to read Boneshaker (pb, 2009) [ISBN-13: 978-0765318411] which has been my favorite novel in 2009.

The following five books I bought on my own.
I wrote about the highly acclaimed Doomsday Book (1992) [ISBN-13: 978-0553562736] by Connie Willis in issue 44 of the Weekend Wave. For a first impression I recommend to have a look at Goodreads. And this is the cover.

Travel back in time to England in the year 1348 on the brink of the Black Plague. That fits to my interest in history. Hopefully I will find some time to read it. Will be ambitious until the end of 2010. .

And more time travel to come. A few weeks ago I reviewed TimeRiders (2010) [ISBN-13: 978-0141326924] Alex Scarrow. This week I received the second book in the TimeRiders series:
TimeRiders: Day of the Predator (2010) [ISBN-13: 978-0141326931]. I really look forward to read it. I have expectations. Watch the trailer.


Three more books to go. Each of them is part of a series or a sequel. I'm a fan of Paul Kearney since I read The Ten Thousand (2008) [ISBN-13: 978-1844165735]. Now Paul Kerney returns to this world with Corvus (pb, 2010, 416 p.) [ISBN-13: 978-1906735760].

"It is twenty-three years since a Macht army fought its way home from the heart of the Asurian Empire. The man who came to lead that army, Rictus, is now a hard-bitten mercenary captain, middle-aged and tired. He wants nothing more than to lay down his spear and become the farmer that his father was. But fate has different ideas. A young war-leader has risen to challenge the order of things in the very heartlands of the Macht. A solider of genius, he takes city after city, and reigns over them as king. What is more, he has heard of the legendary leader of The Ten Thousand.
His name is Corvus, and the rumours say that he is not even fully human. He means to make himself absolute ruler of all the Macht. And he wants Rictus to help him." [Source]
I'm keen to read it. Why? Just read Adam's review.

Ever read a book by Australian author Joel Shepherd? He is the author of the science fiction series Cassandra Kresnov and the fantasy series Trial of Blood and Steel. I read and reviewed Crossover (pb, 2006) [ISBN-13: 978-1591027379] which is the first book in the Cassandra Kresnov series. I liked it a lot. And yes I own an unread copy of Sasha (pb, 2009) [ISBN-13: 978-1591027874] which is the first book in the Trial of Blood and Steel series. Now I bought a copy of Petrodor (pb, 2010) [ISBN-13: 978-1616141936] which is the second book in the Trial of Blood and Steel series.
Read the reviews over at Fantasy Literature which give you a good overview what to expect.

The eights and final book is Kill-Devil and Water (pb, 2008) [ISBN-13: 978-1591027874] by Andrew Pepper. It is the third book in the Pyke Mystery series. The books depend on each other which makes it difficult to write about the content without spoiler. But you should know something about Pyke's character.
"Pyke ..... is a strange mixture of a character. He is an avowed thief and swindler, and not averse to committing murder if he feels it is justified, yet he appalled at the inhuman murder of innocents. He takes offence at people who try to swindle him, yet he himself is willing to swindle others. He has a soft interior, and is capable of deep love, and cold focussed revenge." [Source]



No more today, see you next week ......

Blogosphere

Hey, I'm Bona Fide. I just came back from my last foray through the blogosphere. What can you expect from me? I tell you: Everything from Art to Fart as long as there is any faint connection to books. And here is some honey from the beehive blogosphere...

Last week I posted about publisher Seventh Star Press and author Stephen Zimmer. I like his The Fires in Eden series a lot. This week Stephen sent me more news which I would like to share with you.

For Immediate Release November 5, 2010

Seventh Star Press Proudly Introduces Steven L. Shrewsbury’s Thrall.

Seventh Star Press is proud to announce the release of THRALL, the new heroic fantasy novel from author Steven L. Shrewsbury.

Now available for pre-order in limited edition hardcover and trade paperback, THRALL is the first published adventure of a brand new hero in fantasy literature, Gorias La Gaul.

Set in an ancient world, Thrall is gritty, dark-edged heroic fantasy in the vein of Robert E. Howard and David Gemmell. It tells the story of Gorias La Gaul, an aging warrior who has lived for centuries battling the monstrosities of legend and lore. It is an age when the Nephilum walk the earth, and dragons still soar through the air … living or undead. On a journey to find one of his own blood, Gorias’ path crosses with familiar enemies … some of whom not even death can hold bound.

Having also worked with Steven on his novel Tormentor (Lachesis Publishing), Louise Bohmer served as the editor on Thrall. “Working with Steven Shrewsbury on a novel is an enjoyable experience. Steve is a
conscientious author who is easy to work with. His stories are grand adventures in imagination,” Bohmer commented.

Steven Shrewsbury is a rising star in fantasy, with a host of published work spanning novels, magazines, anthologies, and other publications. In addition to the release of THRALL, Steven recently saw his collaboration with Nate Southard, BAD MAGICK, published in hardcover by Bloodletting Press. He has two other highly-anticipated releases on the horizon. His collab novel with Peter Welmerink, BEDLAM UNLEASHED, was recently accepted by Belfire Press for an early 2011 release. The novel HELL BILLY is to be published by Bad Moon Books in 2012.

“Sometimes I think Steven Shrewsbury could very well be the reincarnation of Robert E. Howard, in a writing sense,” commented fellow Seventh Star Press author Stephen Zimmer. “As a huge fan of David Gemmell and Robert E. Howard, I can say with absolute confidence that Steven Shrewsbury is exceptional at writing dark-edged heroic fantasy. It is not an exaggeration to say that Gorias La Gaul could one day join the heroic fantasy pantheon with Conan, Druss the Legend, and other legendary fantasy figures. I can’t wait to read more adventures with Gorias in the future.”

The Seventh Star Press editions feature cover art and additional illustrations from fantasy artist Matthew Perry. The limited edition packages feature the artwork in a special set of 5X7 glossy prints, a set of bookmarks, and a full-sized Gorias poster that come with every pre-ordered hardcover or trade paperback.

By the first week of December, the book will be available in hardcover, trade paperback, and several eBook formats, for owners of the Kindle, the iPad, the Nook, Sony eReaders, and other compatible electronic reading devices.

An extensive series of special events and signings in support of THRALL are in the planning stages, slated to begin in early 2011.

Updates and additional information can be obtained at the official site for Seventh Star Press, at www.seventhstarpress.com , or at the author’s site at www.stevenshrewsbury.com

Contact: C.C. James
Public Relations, Seventh Star Press
ccjames(at)seventhstarpress(dot)com


Matthew Perry's portrait of Gorias La Gaul !

A real impressive guy.

Thrall Cover

Thrall Trailer


I look forward to read THRALL.

Seventh Star Press is also available on Facebook. Just follow the direct badge/link:



Are you interested in history? I like history a lot. There are periods I'm interested in more than other. One of the more interesting periods for me is the American Civil War. And I'm glad that The New York Times started a great post series: Blogging the Civil War
Author Tony Horwitz describes in the first post of the series why it is necessary to remember this war which has been so important for the United States:
"I was born in a different era, the late 1950s, when the last Union drummer boy had only just died and plastic blue-and-gray soldiers were popular toys. In the 1960s, the Civil War centennial recalled great battles as protesters marched for civil rights and the Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. declared from the steps of the Lincoln Memorial, “One hundred years later, the Negro still is not free.”
Today the Civil War echoes at a different register, usually in fights over remembrance. Though Southern leaders in the 1860s called slavery the cornerstone of their cause, some of their successors are intent on scrubbing that legacy from memory. Earlier this year in Virginia, Gov. Robert F. McDonnell proclaimed April to be Confederate History Month without mentioning slavery, while the state’s Department of Education issued a textbook peddling the fiction that thousands of blacks had fought for the South. Skirmishes erupt at regular intervals over flags and other emblems, like “Colonel Reb,” whom Ole Miss recently surrendered as its mascot. The 1860s also have a particular resonance at election time, as the country splits along political and cultural lines that still separate white Southern voters from balloters in blue Union states.
But as we approach the 150th anniversary of Abraham Lincoln’s election, on Nov. 6, and the long conflict that followed, it’s worth recalling other reasons that era endures. The Civil War isn’t just an adjunct to current events. It’s a national reserve of words, images and landscapes, a storehouse we can tap in lean times like these, when many Americans feel diminished, divided and starved for discourse more nourishing than cable rants and Twitter feeds."

Don't miss this series. I can't do more than recommend it.

I'm a huge fan of the PAX BRITANNIA series. You don't know the PAX BRITANNIA series? Then I recommend to read my latest PAX BRITANNIA post. And the series goes on. Today I present you the first vlog of PAX BRITANNIA author Jonathan Green:


That's it for today. Come back next week for more ......

Movies

Hey, it's me Fide. I'm a remote control professional. I'm that fast that I can watch two movies at the same time.
But don't worry. All the stuff I present to you will be shown at normal speed.

Some time ago I posted about the next movie direct by Zack Snyder who will hit cinemas in March 2011. Over at Slashfilm I found the official synopsis:

Close your eyes. Open your mind. You will be unprepared.
Sucker Punch” is an epic action fantasy that takes us into the vivid imagination of a young girl whose dream world provides the ultimate escape from her darker reality. Unrestrained by the boundaries of time and place, she is free to go where her mind takes her, and her incredible adventures blur the lines between what’s real and what is imaginary.
She has been locked away against her will, but Babydoll (Emily Browning) has not lost her will to survive. Determined to fight for her freedom, she urges four other young girls—the outspoken Rocket (Jena Malone), the street-smart Blondie (Vanessa Hudgens), the fiercely loyal Amber (Jamie Chung) and the reluctant Sweet Pea (Abbie Cornish)—to band together and try to escape their terrible fate at the hands of their captors, Blue (Oscar Isaac), Madam Gorski (Carla Gugino) and the High Roller (Jon Hamm).
Led by Babydoll, the girls engage in fantastical warfare against everything from samurais to serpents, with a virtual arsenal at their disposal. Together, they must decide what they are willing to sacrifice in order to stay alive. But with the help of a Wise Man (Scott Glenn), their unbelievable journey—if they succeed—will set them free.
Now watch the second trailer:

I'm impressed and can't wait to see it on a big screen.....

That's all for today. See you next time....

Quotes

I 'm the Keeper of the minutes. But I don't mind when you call me Kotm. No, no. I don't explain to you how to pronounce.
Today we should be in a hurry but we are all relaxed. It is raining and the sky is gray. Of course we have to finish this post. But the good thing is we are at home, surrounded by books, a mug of tea in reaching area of our hands ... Home.......
"Television enables you to be entertained in your home by people you wouldn't have in your home.
David Frost

"The author of the Iliad is either Homer or, if not Homer, somebody else of the same name.
Aldous Huxley, English critic & novelist (1894 - 1963)

"There is no reason for any individual to have a computer in his home.
Ken Olsen, President, Digital Equipment, 1977, (1926 - )

"My mother used to say that there are no strangers, only friends you haven't met yet. She's now in a maximum security twilight home in Australia.
Dame Edna Everage, Australian Comedian (character of Barry Humphries) (1934 - )

"Human beings are the only creatures that allow their children to come back home.
Bill Cosby, US comedian & television actor (1937 - )

6 comments:

Seak (Bryce L.) said...

I'm impressed with Suckerpunch too. Upon first hearing about it, I didn't think much of it, but after that trailer, what scifi/fantasy/steampunk element isn't involved in that movie? Can't wait to see how it plays out.

Oh, and I should be starting Corvus any day now. Ten Thousand was awesome!

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Human secrets sounds good. And can't wait for Sucker Punch!

ediFanoB said...

@Seak,
Suckerpunch covers a lot. I look forward to see more.

I fully agree that The Ten Thousand is an awesome book. Look forward to your thoughts about Corvus.

ediFanoB said...

@Alex,

I finished Human Secrets a few hours ago.
A really interesting read. Ordinary people in extraordinary circumstances ...
I hope to post the review within the upcoming week.

Sucker Punch rocks!

Stephen Tremp said...

Sucker Punk looks good .... and thanks for stopping by Alex's blog and saying hit today!

ediFanoB said...

@Stephen,

it seems a lot of people are interested in Sucker Punch. Hopefully it will be as good as people expect.

I like Alex, I like CassaStaR and I like his blog. It is always worth a visit. Today I read your interesting post over there and I discovered your book which made it to my list.
I hope

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...