Saturday, October 30, 2010

Edi's Weekend Wave #44

Hello and welcome to issue #44 of Edi's Weekend Wave.
What a week! After a business trip to UK - was great to meet all my colleagues from Europe over there - and a long, long working day on Friday, the time has come for the next issue of my Weekend Wave.
As you can imagine there has been not much time for me to check my sources for news. But I assume a lot of you is busy with Halloween. Anyhow I hope this shorter version of the Weekend Wave is entertaining enough for you.

ENJOY READING ....


Edi's Guidepost

The Lighthouse
News and information straight from the horse's mouth by Lighthouse keeper ediFanoB
  1. Blog content
  2. Listening to .....
Books
The latest report from our shelf shop net correspondent Bona
  1. Books received this week
  2. The Doomsday Book by Connie Willis
Blogosphere
Messages from the depths of the blogosphere by spheronaut Bona Fide
  1. Information from Seventh Star Press
  2. Malazan, Erikson, Esslemont and readers
  3. Robert V S Redick ...... still alive and busy
  4. Maps for the 21st century
Movies
Remote control junkie Fide and his zapping highlights
  1. Sanctum
Quotes
The member of the house of quotes and a quote himself the Keeper of the minutes ( we call him Kotm) fished for you
  1. German proverbs, sayings and idioms You will see ....

The Lighthouse

I hope you like our - Bona, Fide, Bona Fide, KotM and me - new post series xx days until Christmas 2010. I know only two posts so far. But I liked Bona's and KotM's recommendation. I don't have any idea what to expect from Fide and Bona Fide. The only thing I can tell you now is that I work on my own Christmas wish list and my list will not contain a single book. I buy so many books within a year that on Christmas I would like to get something different like DVD, CD, earrings, shirts, ....

don't know which books will be recommended when. They don't talk about their plans. I expect several surprises for you and me. Anyhow always keep in mind that it is also satisfying to present oneself with a book or something else ....

There will be no review within next week. I don't know when to write them in the next days.
But there will be some reviews in November.


I think I mentioned several times that I listen to music while I write the Weekend Wave. In September and October I will share with you the song(s) I listened to.
That means today will be the last time for now. I can't imagine to write the without listening to music. Today I listen to Swiss folk metal band Eluveitie. I show two videos, one instrumental and one with vocals. I like the mix of old and modern instruments.




Enjoy your weekend ....

Books

Dear readers, I'm the one to tell you about books - only books? What about novellas and other stuff? My name is Bona. I scour shelves, shops and the net for books. If you call me a book whore I would not gainsay you. But be aware I have my own, sometimes elusive taste.

This week we received again zero books.
But the good thing is that we won four books in a giveaway. No I don't talk about these books today. I will do that when I have received them. So far I can tell you that they are all related to steampunk.

Did you every read a book by Connie Willis? I belong to the people who never read a book by her. Since I read the blurb of Blackout (pb, 2010) [ISBN-13: 978-0345519832] I'm intrigued and willing to change this status.
"In her first novel since 2002, Nebula and Hugo award-winning author Connie Willis returns with a stunning, enormously entertaining novel of time travel, war, and the deeds - great and small - of ordinary people who shape history. In the hands of this acclaimed storyteller, the past and future collide - and the result is at once intriguing, elusive, and frightening.
Oxford in 2060 is a chaotic place. Scores of time-traveling historians are being sent into the past, to destinations including the American Civil War and the attack on the World Trade Center. Michael Davies is prepping to go to Pearl Harbor. Merope Ward is coping with a bunch of bratty 1940 evacuees and trying to talk her thesis adviser, Mr. Dunworthy, into letting her go to VE Day. Polly Churchill's next assignment will be as a shopgirl in the middle of London's Blitz. And seventeen-year-old Colin Templer, who has a major crush on Polly, is determined to go to the Crusades so that he can 'catch up' to her in age.
But now the time-travel lab is suddenly canceling assignments for no apparent reason and switching around everyone's schedules. And when Michael, Merope, and Polly finally get to World War II, things just get worse. For there they face air raids, blackouts, unexploded bombs, dive-bombing Stukas, rationing, shrapnel, V-1s, and two of the most incorrigible children in all of history - to say nothing of a growing feeling that not only their assignments but the war and history itself are spiraling out of control. Because suddenly the once-reliable mechanisms of time travel are showing significant glitches, and our heroes are beginning to question their most firmly held belief: that no historian can possibly change the past.
From the people sheltering in the tube stations of London to the retired sailors who set off across the Channel to rescue the stranded British Army from Dunkirk, from shopgirls to ambulance drivers, from spies to hospital nurses to Shakespearean actors, Blackout reveals a side of World War II seldom seen before: a dangerous, desperate world in which there are no civilians and in which everybody - from the Queen down to the lowliest barmaid - is determined to do their bit to help a beleaguered nation survive. [Source]
But I also noticed that Blackout is not her first time travel novel. Therefore I decided to by a copy of the highly acclaimed Doomsday Book (1992) [ISBN-13: 978-0553562736]. Of course there are a lot of reviews available.
For a first impression I recommend to have a look at Goodreads.
"Connie Willis labored five years on this story of a history student in 2048 who is transported to an English village in the 14th century. The student arrives mistakenly on the eve of the onset of the Black Plague. Her dealings with a family of "contemps" in 1348 and with her historian cohorts lead to complications as the book unfolds into a surprisingly dark, deep conclusion. The book, which won Hugo and Nebula Awards, draws upon Willis' understanding of the universalities of human nature to explore the ageless issues of evil, suffering and the indomitable will of the human spirit." [Source]
England 1348 on the brink of the Black Plague. That fits to my interest in history. Hopefully I will find some time to read it. Will be ambitious until the end of 2010. Blackout is on my to buy list for December 2010.

No more today, see you next week ......

Blogosphere

Hey, I'm Bona Fide. I just came back from my last foray through the blogosphere. What can you expect from me? I tell you: Everything from Art to Fart as long as there is any faint connection to books. And here is some honey from the beehive blogosphere...

Last week I posted about publisher Seventh Star Press and author Stephen Zimmer. I like his The Fires in Eden series a lot. This week I present you some more news:
For Immediate Release
October 27, 2010

Seventh Star Press Proudly Announces the Acquisition of Award-Winning
Author Jackie Gamber’s Leland Dragon Series

Seventh Star Press is proud to announce the addition of award winning
author Jackie Gamber to its family of writers, with the acquisition of her
YA Fantasy saga, The Leland Dragon Series.

The first book of the series, Redheart, was originally released by
Meadowhawk Press, an exceptional small press publisher based in Memphis,
TN, one of only four indie presses to ever win a Philip K. Dick Memorial
Award (for the David Walton novel, Terminal Mind). When Meadowhawk Press
decided to close its business operations, Seventh Star Press was thrilled
to have the opportunity to sign Jackie Gamber, and commit to the entire
Leland Dragon Series.

“I'll always have a heart for indy press, and Seventh Star is the epitome
of what it's about: dedication to a vision and enthusiasm for writers.
Seventh Star Press is an exciting ride, and I'm thrilled they offered me a
seat,” commented Jackie about coming aboard with the Lexington,
Kentucky-based publisher.

A wondrous coming of age tale, Redheart tells the stories of village girl
Riza Diantus, and the dragon Kallon Redheart. Both are outcasts,
struggling with the conventions of their respective societies, during an
age in which tensions are high between dragons and humans. The Leland
Province teeters on the edge of war, as the Dragon Council Leader, Fordon
Blackclaw, seeks to drive humans into submission, or outright destruction.
Under a blackening cloud of danger, the friendship grows between Riza and
Kallon, as both face their respective destinies, embracing a host of
challenges and threats, not the least of which includes regaining hope,
and confronting the difficult things of one’s past.

Jackie Gamber is a versatile and prolific writer, whose work has appeared
in an array of anthologies and magazines, in addition to published novels.
Among her accolades, Jackie was the winner of the 2009 Mary
Wollstonecraft Shelley Award for Imaginative Fiction, was named honorable
mention in L. Ron Hubbard's Writers of the Future Award, and has been
selected as the Editor Guest of Honor for the 2011 MidSouthCon, one of the
southern United States’ premiere genre conventions.

“Jackie truly embodies the spirit of the growing family at Seventh Star
Press,” fellow Seventh Star Press author Stephen Zimmer said. “Her talent
as a writer is well established, and she is a very popular, well-loved
guest at conventions and events, in addition to being a dedicated
educator. She will be a fantastic ambassador for Seventh Star Press, and
I know that everyone here, from our editors like Amanda Debord, to our art
director Matthew Perry, to authors like myself and Steven Shrewsbury, will
be fully committed to raising awareness of Jackie and her exceptional
work.”

The Seventh Star Press edition will feature cover art and additional
illustrations from fantasy artist Matthew Perry, whose work has been
rapidly gaining attention on the convention circuit. The projected
release date window for the new edition of Redheart is late February/March
of 2011, in hardcover, trade paperback, and several eBook formats,
covering owners of the Kindle, the iPad, the Nook, Sony eReaders, and
other electronic reading devices.

Sela, Book Two of the series, is targeted for a mid-late summer release in
2011, with Book Three scheduled for mid-2012 release in all of the
aforementioned formats.

An extensive series of special events and signings in support of the
novels are in the planning stages, slated to begin in early 2011.

Updates and additional information can be obtained at the official site
for Seventh Star Press, at www.seventhstarpress.com , or at the author's
site at www.jackiegamber.com

Seventh Star Press is also available on Facebook. Just follow the direct badge/link:



Are you a fan of the awesome Malazan Book of the Fallen series or do you still want to read it like me?
Then you must have a look at following post over at Tor.com:
Don't forget to read the comments where there conversation continues. Fellow blogger Sarah from Bookworm Blues has been part of the conversation.


Robert V.S. Redick author of the Chathrand Voyage series is back with two posts over at his blog Letters from Alifros after a period of silence. Don't miss to read The River of Shadows, The Night of the swarm: An Update where Robert gives an insight in his writing life. What do you think how long it takes to get a title for a book? Read about Robert's experience: Book III Growing Pains: Quest for Title


There are still so many interesting sites to discover. This is my latest treasure:
I did not have had the time to see much of the site. But I promise you a great source of information. What would you expect if someone would like to show you a map of the internet in 1901? A lot of people would dismiss.
But you are keen to have a look at this map. CLICK HERE
And there are many more maps for the 21st century .....

That's it for today. Come back next week for more ......

Movies

Hey, it's me Fide. I'm a remote control professional. I'm that fast that I can watch two movies at the same time.
But don't worry. All the stuff I present to you will be shown at normal speed.

James Cameron produced a movie (yes in 3D) titled Sanctum which will hit the cinemas in 2011.
It is the story of group of underwater cave divers. During the expedition through the last remaining unknown cave system on Earth, a tropical storm force the group to find an alternative escape route ......

I think you should definitely avoid to watch Sanctum if you suffer from claustrophobia ...

That's all for today. See you next time....

Quotes

I 'm the Keeper of the minutes. But I don't mind when you call me Kotm. No, no. I don't explain to you how to pronounce.
Today we are all in a hurry. Every minute ediFanoB reminds us that we need to finish the post. How can I think about a quote topic under this condition? Finally I found one which fits from my point of view. Next week will be better.....
"When witches go riding,
and black cats are seen,
the moon laughs and whispers,
‘tis near Halloween.

Author unknown

7 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Congratulations on winning four books - that's a good haul.
And Sanctum sounds just like The Cave, only without monsters. Where's the monsters?

ediFanoB said...

I love to take part in giveaways and so far I never won four books at once.

I must admit that I did not see The Cave and therefore I can't compare. I hope there will be more Sanctum trailers in order to get some more information. Anyhow James Cameron is really busy. Avatar 2 and 3, Sanctum, ....

Mark Lawrence said...

A good read - you covered a lot of ground in an economy of space. Sanctum looks intriguing.

Hope to hear about those steam-punk books next installament. I always feel I will like steam-punk and I just need to find the right entro.

Mark

ediFanoB said...

@Mark,

thank you. I have had a look at your profile I was not aware that you are an author. I read that your novel Prince of Thorns will be published soon.
I have been a bit surprised that coming soon means August 2011....

Mark Lawrence said...

@ediFanoB

heh - well for me it's been 'coming soon' since I signed with Penguin in January 2010 :)

There's always a chance these guys will send you a reviewer copy

http://www.voyagerbooks.com/tag/prince-of-thorns/

ediFanoB said...

@Mark,

thank you for information. Now I understand why you wrote 'coming soon'.

Do you know that the German edition of PRINCE OF THORNS - Prinz der Dunkelheit - will be published in May 2011 due to information on amazon.de

Mark Lawrence said...

@ediFanoB

Indeed. And if your Dutch is up to it you can read 'Prins der Wrake' in April!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...