Saturday, October 02, 2010

Edi's Weekend Wave #40

Hello and welcome to issue #40 of Edi's Weekend Wave which is at the same time my 99th post.
I know other people celebrate their 100th post. But I want to do something different. Therefore I present you today a special of Edi's Weekend Wave.
Don't worry this is neither a look back nor a look forward. I simply post about things which are loosely related to
Dreaming, Reading, Libraries.

ENJOY READING ....


Edi's Guidepost

The Lighthouse
News and information straight from the horse's mouth by Lighthouse keeper ediFanoB
  1. Dreaming
  2. Reading
  3. Listening to .....
Books
The latest report from our shelf shop net correspondent Bona
  1. Books received this week
  2. PAX BRITANNIA: Dark Side cover unveiled
Blogosphere
Messages from the depths of the blogosphere by spheronaut Bona Fide
  1. Libraries
  2. Books for your library
Movies
Remote control junkie Fide and his zapping highlights
  1. Mr Bean at the Library
  2. Medieval Helpdesk
Quotes
The member of the house of quotes and a quote himself the Keeper of the minutes ( we call him Kotm) fished for you
  1. German proverbs, sayings and idioms Library ....

The Lighthouse

Sometimes I'm even to tired to switch on my laptop like Friday evening. I wanted to watch news and fell asleep. Happens. When I awoke past midnight I thought by myself that it would be great if I could read in my dreams while I'm asleep and still remember the next day what I have read. There would be no need to buy books. Just walk into a library, get a book and start reading. Visit all the great libraries in the world. Meeting other people and discover together new books and libraries. What a wonderful idea!
In case you watched Inception starring Leonardo DiCaprio you will know what I mean. You did not watch Inception? Then you definitely missed something and the only thing I can do for you is to show you a trailer:



Sooner or later it happens to the most of us. We have to read a book we don't like or we have to finish a book which we hate. How do you cope with this kind of books?
For me it is a burden and it takes a lot more time and energy to do it. Fortunately there are people who develop strategies what to do with these kind of books. And I would like to share their strategies.

The first video is about how to finish books you hate.


The second video is not only for reading books we don't like. I think it is also a more general advice how to approach a book.



I think I mentioned several times that I listen to music while I write the Weekend Wave. In September and October I will share with you the song(s) I listened to.
While I wrote my 99th post I listened to Twa Corbies performed by German band Schelmish (official site, wikipedia). Twa Corbies is a derivative of the old English folk ballad The Three Ravens. For detailed information about the history of the song follow this link. I like the song due to different reasons. The symbiosis of the old text performed with nowadays instruments is a bridge from the past to the present. spanning centries. I like ravens and I like the band.


And yes, the also performed a German version of the song called Rabenballade .....


Enjoy your weekend ....

Books

Dear readers, I'm the one to tell you about books - only books? What about novellas and other stuff? My name is Bona. I scour shelves, shops and the net for books. If you call me a book whore I would not gainsay you. But be aware I have my own, sometimes elusive taste.

This week we received NO book. So nothing to tell. But next week .....

No post without mentioning one of my favorite series PAX BRITANNIA (for a post history click here).
Now the final cover for the next book in the series - Dark Side (pb, 2011) [ISBN-13: 978-1906735852] by Jonathan Green - has been released
I really like the cover and can't wait to read it!


No more today, see you next week ......

Blogosphere

Hey, I'm Bona Fide. I just came back from my last foray through the blogosphere. What can you expect from me? I tell you: Everything from Art to Fart as long as there is any faint connection to books. And here is some honey from the beehive blogosphere...

Do you like libraries? This morning my wife and I talked about libraries. She asked me how my library would look like. My answer: "Like the one in the internet." As you can see the perfect man like answer. Therefore I decided to post about this absolutely incredible library of Jay Walker. Browse the Artifacts of Geek History in Jay Walker's Library contains a lot of information about the library. The pictures are impressive. But what would you think about a virtual library tour? Come with me watch and be flabbergasted. Don't forget to close your mouth .....


This will be a dream forever. But what would mankind be without dreams.
Every time when I read, speak, think about libraries my thoughts always return to the largest ancient library.
I talk about the famous Library of Alexandria. Must be amazing to travel back in time and visit the library.
We are living in a very visual world and therefore I did some research and found following instructive, entertaining video for you:



You are looking for books to be added to your library? Then I recommend to have a look at Spotlight on October Books over at Fantasy Book Critic. This month "only" 54 books to choose from .....

That's it for today. Come back next week for more ......

Movies

Hey, it's me Fide. I'm a remote control professional. I'm that fast that I can watch two movies at the same time.
But don't worry. All the stuff I present to you will be shown at normal speed.

Following two videos are related to books and libraries. They are both a more humorous approach to the subject. Even they are a bit older they will put a smile on your face.

Attention! Please do not watch the following video if you are a true book lover. It contains scenes with explicit book torture!


To be honest I really hope the we never will need help like shown in the following video...


That's all for today. See you next time....

Quotes

I 'm the Keeper of the minutes. But I don't mind when you call me Kotm. No, no. I don't explain to you how to pronounce.
I admit.I don't want to stand back. Searching for quotes containing library seemed the appropriate choice for this post. And yes, there are really library quotes ... more than I expected. Enjoy ...

"A library is a hospital for the mind
Author unknown

"Never lend books, for no one ever returns them; the only books I have in my library are books that other folks have lent to me
Anatole France, French Writer (1844-1924)

"Book lovers will understand me, and they will know too that part of the pleasure of a library lies in its very existence
Jan Morris

"Be a little careful about your library. Do you foresee what you will do with it? Very little to be sure. But the real question is, What it will do with you? You will come here and get books that will open your eyes, and your ears, and your curiosity, and turn you inside out or outside in.
Ralph Waldo Emerson, American Poet (1803-1882)

5 comments:

Seak (Bryce L.) said...

Congrats! You still have one of the most unique voices in the blogging world, I am never disappointed when I come here. I think I have to admit the Book Lighthouse is my favorite blog.

ediFanoB said...

Seak,
thank you for the kind words! I always try my best to be different. For me it is not satisfying to repeat all the news which you can find on countless books.

The only thing I would like to have is a bit more time :-)

And now I look forward to my 199th post ...

Seak (Bryce L.) said...

I know I'll be checking it out. :)

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Always informative - and unique!
Those who missed Inception? There's something wrong with those people.

ediFanoB said...

Alex,
thanks for the kind words. I look forward to your blog tour.
I think it is time for a warm up ....

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...