Thursday, October 21, 2010

Edi's Spotlight: The Storm Guardians by Stephen Zimmer

I read and reviewed The Exodus Gate (pb 2009, 566 p.) [ISBN-13: 978-0615267470] by Stephen Zimmer, which is the first book in the The Rising Dawn Saga series. I did not like the whole book. I have had some problems with what I call the religious trace. For details please read my review (follow the link above).
Stephen Zimmer told me that the second book contains more action and battles. I finally agreed to read and review The Storm Guardians (pb 2010, 543 p.) [ISBN-13: 978-0982565636]. He has been very kind and sent me a signed copy and a lot of other stuff. For Details click here.
Now the time has come to post my review.
This time I passed on an own summary.
"Storms break out across the world and the realms beyond, as the Convergence seeks to advance its worldwide agenda, and Diabolos unleashes great powers from the depths of the Abyss.
The Fallen Avatar Beleth’s legions pour across the boundaries of Purgatarion, even as the Night Hunt is loosed once again, in the modern world. Dagian readies for a monumental unveiling of Babylon Technology’s greatest invention, a technology that holds grave implications for every living person on the face of the world.
It is a time when the Exiles in the Middle Lands, the An-Ki, and many others are falling under the shadow of the Abyss. Guardians of all forms, great and small, must rise to resist as the storm of darkness spreads. From high school students Seth, Jonathan, and Annika, to Ian, Arianna, and the others of humankind that have been drawn into the spiraling course of events, choices with dangerous consequences have to be made.
An epic tale of resolve and heroism, The Storm Guardians takes the reader farther and deeper into the Rising Dawn Saga." [Back of the book]
Let me start with some facts. The book stand for 553 pages divided into a prologue, six sections and an appendix. Each section is divided in several named chapters. Each chapter is told from a character's point of view. Beside that there are eleven black and white illustrations by Matthew Perry. As far as I could see is the appendix spoiler free.

The story continues without any break. And yes it contains more action and battles - there is a big one with a nearly countless number of combatant - than The Exodus Gate. Stephen Zimmer introduce new characters but does not forget the ones from the first novel. He reveals some more layers of the connection between and in between the different groups. And not to forget the different motives the obvious ones and also secret ones. Again we follow the characters at different places - Earth, Abyss, Purgatorion = Middle lands.
For me The Storm Guardians is like the opening skirmish of a war which will dwarf the world wars on Earth.
There is a wide range of detailed information about weapons.
I like scenery depictions. But to be honest some of them have been a bit too long. Is it necessary to describe the preparation of a bivouac on seven pages? I found it a bit tiresome. I have had also problems to connect with characters. There are a lot of them but none whom I really like. And I still can't cope with all these avatars and similar beings.

Even Stephen Zimmer kept his promise with more action and more battles I must say The Storm Guardians is not my book and The Rising Dawn Saga is not my series. I don't think that will change for me with the next book in the series.

That has absolutely nothing to do with the quality of the novel. I'm sure that everyone who loved The Exodus Gate will love The Storm Guardians too.

I recommend The Storm Guardians to everyone who liked The Exodus Gate.
And in case you do not know the
The Rising Dawn Saga let me tell you that you should start with The Exodus Gate because it is the foundation of the series.

That all sounds a bit sad but I look forward to another Stephen Zimmer novel. You need to know that he is the author of of a second series: The Fires of Eden
I read and reviewed Crown of Vengeance (pb 2009, 612 p.) [ISBN-13: 978-0982565612], the first book in The Fires of Eden series.
"Imagine you go out for a walk. After a while a thick and strange mist comes down within minutes. Can happen. But to look in a unusual blue-greenish sky after the mist has disappeared is nothing you would expect. And that is what happens to eleven inhabitants - just people like you and me - of a midwestern town in United States. Janus Roland and the others have entered the world of Ave. A world on the edge of war. A mysterious being called The Unifier is on the way to gain the power over Ave for his more mysterious master. But the people of the Saxan Kingdom and the tribes in the Five Realms confederation are the last bastion and the last hope for the peoples of Ave.... And what is the role of the people from earth?"
I can't wait to read the second book in the The Fires of Eden series

3 comments:

Helen Ginger said...

This seems like a fair review. This particular series is just not for you, but he has another series that is your "cup of tea." Someone else may feel the opposite.

Sarah said...

Good review. I always have a hard time writing harsh reviews on books, but you handled it well.

ediFanoB said...

@Helen Ginger,
you hit the bulls eye.

@Sarah,
I have had a hard time too. I look forward to read your thoughts about The Rising Dawn Saga.



My biggest concern has been that people do not understand that Storm Guardian is a good book - except for me. I like Stephen's second series- Fires of Eden - a lot.

Stephen and I exchanged some mails today. He understood and accepted that The Rising Dawn Saga is "not my cup of tea".
In future I will not review further books in the series. But I will keep all my readers informed about all The Rising Dawn Saga news.

Finally I can promise you that there will be some Fires of Eden news in November ....

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...