Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Edi's Lighthouse Chatter: Bedlam One Three One

Hello and let me clarify that Bedlam One Three One is definitely not my new address. Today I wanted to share some news with you and thought about an adequate post title. The news are related to in sum five books - two stand alone and one trilogy. To list either the names of the authors or the book titles would have been blast the post title. Therefore my first draft went like this: One Three One
I found it a bit expressionless. Part of the news is a bit crazy and that led me to Bedlam.
Due to Merriam-Webster
"Bedlam is the popular name for the Hospital of St. Mary of Bethlehem, London, an insane asylum, from Middle English Bedlem Bethlehem" First Known Use: 1522
For more detailed information I recommend to read Bethlem Royal Hospital.

The first information is related to a stand alone novel and presents the first One in the post title.

October 19th 2010

Sf debut novel CassaStaR (October 19th,2010) [ISBN-13: 978-0981621067] by Alex J. Cavanaugh is available for purchase over at amazon.de, amazon.uk, bookdepository, amazon.com, Barnes & Noble, Books-a-Million, and Powell's. The book is also available as an ebook for Kindle, IBookstore, Nook and others.

You never heard of CassaStaR? Then I recommend to read my CassaStaR review and to visit Alex J. Cavanaugh's blog.

Now we switch to the more crazy part of the news. The Three in the post title stands for a trilogy (at this time I thought it was a trilogy) and my forlorn hope to escape a new series.
.
Is it a kind of a new trend to publish trilogies in consecutive months?
In summer we got the King Rolen's Kin trilogy by Rowena Cory Daniells consisitng of The King's Bastard (July 2010) [ISBN-13: 978-1907519000], The Uncrowned King (August, 2010) [ISBN-13: 978-1907519048] and The Ursurper (September, 2010) [ISBN-13: 978-1907519079]. So far I read only the first book - Shame on me - but I expect to read the rest and to review them all until end of 2010.

Last weekend I worked on the +1000 unread items in my Google reader. Within all these items I found several posts referring all to the first book in a new series: The Spirit Thief (September, 2010) [ISBN-13: 978-0316069052] by Rachel Aaron which is the first book in The Legend of Eli Monpress series.

Before I continue I want to say thank you to following blogger (every link leads directly to the post) which I find guilty for introducing The Legend of Eli Monpress series to me:
The underrated Falcata Times over at Falcata Times
Kristen over at Fantasy Cafe
Mihir Wanchoo over at Fantasy Book Critic
John Ottinger III over at Grasping for the Wind

Like the King Rolen's Kin trilogy the first three books (yes, there will be more as I know in the meantime) in The Legend of Eli Monpress series will be published in three consecutive months (September, October and November 2010).
In a first step I added the books to my list and thought about when to buy The Spirit Thief and nothing more. Then I made a "big, big,big mistake"!! I visited Rachel Aaron's book page and clicked on Read the first two chapters! - 10 Minutes later I signed in - amazon.de - and I ordered:

The Spirit Thief (September, 2010) [ISBN-13: 978-0316069052] by Rachel Aaron
"Eli Monpress is talented. He's charming. And he's a thief.

But not just any thief. He's the greatest thief of the age - and he's also a wizard. And with the help of his partners - a swordsman with the most powerful magic sword in the world but no magical ability of his own, and a demonseed who can step through shadows and punch through walls - he's going to put his plan into effect.

The first step is to increase the size of the bounty on his head, so he'll need to steal some big things. But he'll start small for now. He'll just steal something that no one will miss - at least for a while.

Like a king." [Source]


The Spirit Rebellion (October, 2010) [ISBN-13: 978-0316069113] by Rachel Aaron
"Eli Monpress is brilliant. He's incorrigible. And he's a thief.

He's also still at large, which drives Miranda Lyonette crazy. While she's been kicked out of the Spirit Court, Eli's had plenty of time to plan his next adventure. But now the tables have turned, because Miranda has a new job -- and an opportunity to capture a certain thief.

Things are about to get exciting for Eli. He's picked a winner for his newest heist. His target: the Duke of Gaol's famous "thief-proof" citadel. Eli knows Gaol is a trap, but what's life without challenges? Except the Duke is one of the wealthiest men in the world, a wizard who rules his duchy with an iron fist, and an obsessive perfectionist with only one hobby: catching Eli.

It seems that everyone is hunting for Eli Monpress." [Source]

The Spirit Eater (November, 2010) [ISBN-13: 978-0316069083] by Rachel Aaron
"With the pressure on after his success in Gaol, Eli Monpress, professional thief and degenerate, decides it's time to lie low for a bit. Taking up residence in a tiny seaside village, Eli and his companions seize the chance for some fun and relaxation.

Nico, however, is finding it a bit hard. Plagued by a demon's voice in her head and feeling powerless, she only sees herself as a burden. Everyone's holiday comes to an untimely close, though, when Pele arrives to beg Eli's help for finding her missing father.

But there are larger plans afoot than even Eli can see, and the real danger, and the solution, may lie with one of his own and her forgotten past.

If only Nico could remember whose side she's on." [Source]

And the good thing is that I get all three books in one delivery beginning of December. That means one more review project in December.

Due to information on her site, Rachel Aaron is working on the fourth book in The Legend of Eli Monpress series.
But we have to wait until September for The Spirit War (September, 2011) [ISBN-13: 978-0356500133] by Rachel Aaron. So far I can't tell you nothing about the content and also the cover is unknown.

At first I thought will be a trilogy. Therefore I added the Three to the post title. Now I know there will be minimum one more book. To be honest I did not want to change the title of the post from Bedlam One Three One to Bedlam One FOUR+N ONE. I think this is understandable.


The last part of the news is crazy too. The last One in the post title stands for fantasy debut novel and what I plan to do with it. Based on my experience with CassaStaR I agreed to read and review an other book from a small publisher - Rhemalda Publishing.
I talk about The Bone Sword (November 1st, 2010) [ISBN-13: 978-0982743720] by Walter Rhein.
"Deserter on the Run

Malik emerges from the swamps of Plaiden seeking only shelter, food, and the time necessary to take the chill from his bones. But after a barroom brawl lands him in trouble with the local authorities, he flees to the mountains with two orphaned children who have the power to heal.

Pursued by the vicious Father Ivory and his Nightshades, Malik and his charges become the center of a grassroots movement that quickly blossoms into a full-fledged revolution. Their problems are compounded when news of their exploits draws the attention of Malik's former Captain, a swordsman of legendary prowess who will not stop until Malik and his followers are dead.

As the final battle approaches, Malik must face both his inner demons and his former master in a duel that will determine the fate of the free people of Miscony." [Source]
I said it before, the number of pages is no indicator for the content. But with 230 pages The Bone Sword is short compared to the fantasy books I read in the past months. I'm nosy what to expect.
Finally you get the book trailer which is informative and not lurid.



This is the end of Bedlam One Three One ....... Enjoy Reading

3 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Thanks for mentioning the book again on release day!
Right now, I am just overwhelmed...

Jo Schaffer said...

I'm super excited about Alex's book. (=

ediFanoB said...

@Alex,
let me thank you again for the opportunity to take part in your virtual blog tour. I did it for the first time and it has been an wonderful experience.

@Jo,
CassaStaR is a great debut novel. Follow the links mentioned in the post for more information.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...