Sunday, September 12, 2010

Edi's Weekend Wave #37

Please apologize my following harsh words: I'M TOTALLY PISSED OFF!!!
I should rename issue #37 from Edi's Weekend Wave to Triple Trouble Weekend. My schedule went down the drain.
Since Friday evening I have problems with internet connection, blogger and my laptop!! Instead of writing a review and continue reading, I spent hours for identifying of problems. There are still some left. Fortunately we have a second PC where I could work on issue #37. Now it is Sunday evening. I'm tired and glad at the same time. Finally I can present you issue #37 of Edi's Weekend Wave.
Need to find a new date for my planned review on Sunday. It depends on when I come from work in the upcoming week.


Hello and welcome to issue #37 of Edi's Weekend Wave. As I promised within the past week no more lamentation. A book blog needs a more positive spirit. Another week gone. It has been a mixed one. Weather has been fine with temperatures around 20 degrees C°. I received several books which I ordered in advance. I slept too much and therefore read less. I tried to read posts and leave comments on other blogs. All in all it was not a satisfying week. I need to find a way to change it. It seems that there is no week where I lament.
ENJOY READING ....


Edi's Guidepost

The Lighthouse
News and information straight from the horse's mouth by Lighthouse keeper ediFanoB
  1. Circles and motivation
  2. Listening to .....
Books
The latest report from our shelf shop net correspondent Bona
  1. Books received this week
  2. Pendulum of taste
Blogosphere
Messages from the depths of the blogosphere by spheronaut Bona Fide
  1. ediFanoB and The Wheel of time Reading Challenges
  2. Historical Fantasy
  3. Giant Robot in New York
Movies
Remote control junkie Fide and his zapping highlights
  1. Estrange
  2. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part one
Quotes
The member of the house of quotes and a quote himself the Keeper of the minutes ( we call him Kotm) fished for you
  1. German proverbs, sayings and idioms Circle ....

The Lighthouse

There is just one week between issue 36 and 37 of Edi's Weekend Wave. A week which I would describe as average. But something (I do not mean the otitis media of my daughter - poor girl) happened with me concerning my relationship to my blog. I posted about it on Wednesday. First of all I should enjoy what I do. It seems I have been in a kind of a psychological vicious circle which has had an impact on my zest of life which has had an impact on my work, my family and also on blogging and reading. I don't know how and why it happened but I left this circle.
On Friday evening we booked our first holiday since 2007. In May 2011 we will spend one week in Bansin, a town on the German Baltic shore near Poland. A great place for people who yearn for calmness like me and my wife. We will go there with a bunch of books. No computer, no phone, no traffic noise, .... out of this world.

Sorry, I come back to today.

All the changes I described in the above mentioned post should give my blog a more unique profile. I know most of the blogger long for a unique profile. But the most important thing is that I like and enjoy what I do. And hopefully there are some people who like it too.
Anyhow it will by an interesting process with uncertain outcome...

I think I mentioned several times that I listen to music while I write the Weekend Wave. In the next two months I will share with you the song(s) I listened to.
The song of this issue is an famous Irish traditional song. It has been interpreted by legions of musicians. I know a handful of different versions. But there is one version which is the one and only for me. I talk about

performed by
The voice and the music fit together perfectly. It is a timeless song ....

Enjoy your weekend ....

Books

Dear readers, I'm the one to tell you about books - only books? What about novellas and other stuff? My name is Bona. I scour shelves, shops and the net for books. If you call me a book whore I would not gainsay you. But be aware I have my own, sometimes elusive taste.

This week we received four books. Two of them belong to existing series, one of them is the first book in a new series and the other is the first book of a duology.

Thanks to the great people over at Tor/Forge for sending me a copy of The Last Page (hc, 2010) [ISBN-13: 978-0765325160] by Anthony Huso. It is part of a duology which will be finished with Black Bottle. The book is on my list since I read the glowing review by Liviu over at Fantasy Book Critic. And only two days ago The Mad Hatter posted another glowing review! I'm sure that with the reviews which will follow one can easily built a "burning ring of fire".
"The city of Isca is set like a dark jewel in the crown of the Duchy of Stonehold. In this sprawling landscape, the monsters one sees are nothing compared to what's living in the city's sewers.
Twenty-three-year-old Caliph Howl is Stonehold's reluctant High King. Thrust onto the throne, Caliph has inherited Stonehold's dirtiest court secrets. He also faces a brewing civil war that he is unprepared to fight. After months alone amid a swirl of gossip and political machinations, the sudden reappearance of his old lover, Sena, is a welcome bit of relief. But Sena has her own legacy to claim: she has been trained from birth by the Shradnae witchocracy--adept in espionage and the art of magical equations writ in blood--and she has been sent to spy on the High King.
Yet there are magics that demand a higher price than blood. Sena secretly plots to unlock the Cisrym Ta, an arcane text whose pages contain the power to destroy worlds. The key to opening the book lies in Caliph's veins, forcing Sena to decide if her obsession for power is greater than her love for Caliph.
Meanwhile, a fleet of airships creeps ever closer to Isca. As the final battle in a devastating civil war looms and the last page of the Cisrym Ta waits to be read, Caliph and Sena must face the deadly consequences of their decisions. And the blood of these conflicts will stain this and other worlds forever." [Source]


The Cobras of Calcutta (pb, 2010) [ISBN-13: 978-0330471046] by Grant Sutherland is the first book in The Decipherer's Chronicles series which will tell the chronicles of Alistair Douglas. I posted about the book in May 2010.

"Between 1750 and 1815, Britain lost an empire, won another and emerged from the blood-soaked Napoleonic wars as the greatest power the world had ever known. But at the very centre of the Empire's success lies a secret institution, The Decipherers. These are the code breakers and interceptores - trusted agents whose trad carries them straight into the heart of the deepest conflicts. Among them is young Alistair Douglas.
He arrives in Bengal as a 'writer' for the East India Company, just as the whole province is thrown into confusion by the rise to power of the new nawab, whose army makes common cause with the French and marches against the Company's stronghold in Calcutta. Douglas finds himself thrown into the midst of battles and intrigues that will decide the fate of the Company - and the British nation - in the East.
Caught between belligerent superiors, a married woman he adores and the cannon fire of the enemy, he must try to survive at any cost ..." [Back of the book]
This book covers a part of history I do not know much about. In case I like the book I will go for the second one - The Harriers of London - which will be published in 2011.


Books in a series
Please click on the cover for more information


Blameless (pb 2010, 384 p.) [ISBN-13: 978-0316074155] by Gail Carriger
(Book three; I read and liked book one; not reading list 2010)

Century of the Soldier (pb 2010) [ISBN-13: 978-1907519093] by Paul Kearney
(The second omnibus, on reading list 2010, I have a plan ..., come back on Monday)

My taste is like a pendulum which do not oscillate but rotate. Imaging a circle which is divided in sections. Each section represent a special taste like epic fantasy, science fiction, steampunk, historical thrillers, science, history and so on. Above the circle rotates my taste pendulum.
When I look at the books I bought recently it seems my taste pendulum has reached the historical thriller section.
I'm sure the name Giordano Bruno is not unknown to you. Maybe you read this name after a long time - I don't know when you left school. Giordano Bruno (1548 – February 17, 1600) was a famous Italian astronomer, mathematician and philosopher. He is not forgotten and will be known to a wider audience as the main character in a new historical thriller series with the same name: Giordano Bruno. Author of the series is S. J. Parris (pen name used by Stephanie Merritt). The first book in the series - Heresy - has been published in 2010 (hardcover, ISBN-13: 978-0385531283]. As you know I don't buy hardcover. Fortunately I found out that the paperback will be published in March 2011 [pb, ISBN-13: 978-0007317707]. And of course I ordered the book in advance. The book has been published with different covers. I show you the paperback cover. I'm sorry for the white border but I could not find a picture without.

"Masterfully blending true events with fiction, this blockbuster historical thriller delivers a page-turning murder mystery set on the sixteenth-century Oxford University campus. Giordano Bruno was a monk, poet, scientist, and magician on the run from the Roman Inquisition on charges of heresy for his belief that the Earth orbits the sun and that the universe is infinite. This alone could have got him burned at the stake, but he was also a student of occult philosophies and magic. In S. J. Parris's gripping novel, Bruno's pursuit of this rare knowledge brings him to London, where he is unexpectedly recruited by Queen Elizabeth I and is sent undercover to Oxford University on the pretext of a royal visitation. Officially Bruno is to take part in a debate on the Copernican theory of the universe; unofficially, he is to find out whatever he can about a Catholic plot to overthrow the queen. His mission is dramatically thrown off course by a series of grisly murders and a spirited and beautiful young woman. As Bruno begins to discover a pattern in these killings, he realizes that no one at Oxford is who he seems to be. Bruno must attempt to outwit a killer who appears obsessed with the boundary between truth and heresy." [Source]
You want to know more about Heresy? Then watch following video where S. J. Parris talks about her book


And of course I present you the official book trailer:


The series will be continued with Prophecy (hardcover, March/April 2011, ISBN-13: 978-0385531306].

"S. J. Parris returns with the next Giordano Bruno mystery, set inside Queen Elizabeth's palace and steeped in period atmospherics and the strange workings of the occult.
It is the year of the Great Conjunction, when the two most powerful planets, Jupiter and Saturn, align - an astrological phenomenon that occurs once every thousand years and heralds the death of one age and the dawn of another. The streets of London are abuzz with predictions of horrific events to come, possibly even the death of Queen Elizabeth.
When several of the queen's maids of honor are found dead, rumors of black magic abound. Elizabeth calls upon her personal astrologer, John Dee, and Giordano Bruno to solve the crimes. While Dee turns to a mysterious medium claiming knowledge of the murders, Bruno fears that something far more sinister is at work. But even as the climate of fear at the palace intensifies, the queen refuses to believe that the killer could be someone within her own court.
Bruno must play a dangerous game: can he allow the plot to progress far enough to give the queen the proof she needs without putting her, England, or his own life in danger?
In this utterly gripping and gorgeously written novel, S. J. Parris has proven herself the new master of the historical thriller." [Source]


No more today, see you next week ......

Blogosphere

Hey, I'm Bona Fide. I just came back from my last foray through the blogosphere. What can you expect from me? I tell you: Everything from Art to Fart as long as there is any faint connection to books. And here is some honey from the beehive blogosphere...

The Wheel of Time is one of the great epic fantasy series. Some years ago I bought Die Suche nach dem Auge der Zeit (tb, 2003) [ISBN-13: 978-3453863705] by Robert Jordan which is the German edition of The Eye of the World. I read around 100 pages but it did not work for me. I accepted that one cannot love every book.
There is a lot of hype around the final books written by Brandon Sanderson, which I follow from a distant point.
Now you may understand why I don't post about the series.
Last week Seak wrote in his It's News ToMe #23 "Everyone's doing it" - posting the Towers of Midnight trailer. I left a comment: "I promise, I will not post the Towers of Midnight trailer :-)"
And I keep a promise. But I'm sure that some of you would like to watch the trailer. If you want then click on the link to Seak's post.

This week I found an interesting post over at Adventures in SciFi Publishing. It is the first post in a three-part series about historical fiction which is according to wikipedia "a sub-genre of fantasy and related to historical fiction, which makes use of specific elements of real world history."
All parts are written by M. K. Hobson and the first part - Historical Fantasy: A History, Part one: The Past - has been posted on September 8th, 2010. I recommend to read it.

M. K. Hobson is the author of The Native Star (pb, 2010) [ISBN-13: 978-0553592658]. Never heard of the author before. As I'm a nosy person, I have had a look at The Native Star. To my surprise I found a book which I added immediately to my list. A fusion of fantasy, history and romance. I have been a bit incredulous when I read romance. But there are other intriguing ingredients. Read the blurb and then you will what I'm talking about.

"It’s 1876, and business is rotten for Emily Edwards, town witch of the tiny Sierra Nevada settlement of Lost Pine. With everyone buying patent magicks by mail-order, she’s faced with two equally desperate options. Starve - or use a love spell to bewitch the town’s richest lumberman into marrying her.
When the love spell goes terribly wrong, Emily is forced to accept the aid of Dreadnought Stanton - a pompous and scholarly Warlock from New York - to set things right. Together, they travel from the seedy underbelly of San Francisco’s Barbary Coast, across the United States by train and biomechanical flying machine, to the highest halls of American magical power, only to find that love spells (and love) are far more complicated and dangerous than either of them could ever have imagined." [Source]
Maybe you like it more visual. Then enjoy the The Native Star book trailer:



A giant robot in New York -What a headline! To be honest I expected reports on BBC, CNN and other news channels. But I found nothing except this article The Brooklyn Griffin Finds a Perch over at the New York Times City Room. So if you want more information about a nine feet high robot you have to read the article ....

That's it for today. Come back next week for more ......

Movies

Hey, it's me Fide. I'm a remote control professional. I'm that fast that I can watch two movies at the same time.
But don't worry. All the stuff I present to you will be shown at normal speed.

In July 2010 I reviewed Stop Me (2009) [ISBN-13: 978-0749007133] by Richard Jay Parker. He is a man full of ideas.
Imagine a movie. A short movie. A real short movie. A move which lasts only one minute. Richard Jay Parker wrote the horror short Estranged and David McGillivray produced the movie. Unbelievable what you can show in one minute.Awesome!
WARNING: This movie contains adult content (violence) and is not for faint-hearted.



The release date of the last Harry Potter movie is coming nearer - yes I know the movie has been split in two parts. Advertisement accelerate. Watch the first TV teaser trailer of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hollows Part One.




That's all for today. See you next time....

Quotes

I 'm the Keeper of the minutes. But I don't mind when you call me Kotm. No, no. I don't explain to you how to pronounce.
ediFanoB's wrote about a vicious circle. That inspired me to search for quotes related to circle. And this is what I found:.

"I like to play blackjack. I'm not addicted to gambling, I'm addicted to sitting in a semi-circle.
Mitch Hedberg, American comedian (1968 - 2005)


"An attempt at visualizing the Fourth Dimension: Take a point, stretch it into a line, curl it into a circle, twist it into a sphere, and punch through the sphere.
Albert Einstein, Physicist (1879-1955)


"The next best thing to being wise oneself is to live in a circle of those who are
C.S. Lewis, British Novelist (1898-1963)


"Join in the new game that's sweeping the country. It's called "Bureaucracy" Everybody stands in a circle. The first person to do anything loses.
Author unknown


"My idea of feng shui is to have them arrange the pepperoni in a circle on my pizza
Author unknown

6 comments:

Seak (Bryce L.) said...

Nice work, you held to your convictions! :D

ediFanoB said...

Seak,

thank you.
The weekend has been really frustrating.
All the problems hindered me to read.
But I'm happy with the result of my Weekend Wave.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Sorry about the computer issues. And I lost interest in Robert Jordan's series many years ago. I still don't believe it will ever end.

ediFanoB said...

Alex,

that's life. So I'm not the only one who does not know much about The Wheel of Time.

Seak (Bryce L.) said...

@edi - Sorry about the frustrations. Computers seem to be a never-ending hole of them.

I can say I recommend The Wheel of Time, but that's coming from someone who stopped at book 6 to wait for the infernal thing to end. :)

ediFanoB said...

Seak,

I think I will make a mental note for the time after my retirement to read The Wheel of Time ;-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...