Saturday, September 04, 2010

Edi's Weekend Wave #36

Hello and welcome to issue #36 of Edi's Weekend Wave. Another week gone. I t has been a mixed one. Weather has been fine with temperatures around 20 degrees C°. I received several books which I ordered in advance. I slept too much and therefore read less. I tried to read posts and leave comments on other blogs. All in all it was not a satisfying week. I need to find a way to change it. It seems that there is no week where I lament.
ENJOY READING ....


Edi's Guidepost

The Lighthouse
News and information straight from the horse's mouth by Lighthouse keeper ediFanoB
  1. Addiction
Books
The latest report from our shelf shop net correspondent Bona
  1. Books received this week
  2. Writing advice
Blogosphere
Messages from the depths of the blogosphere by spheronaut Bona Fide
  1. Reading Challenges
  2. A blog and book travel
  3. Some more "visual" links
Movies
Remote control junkie Fide and his zapping highlights
  1. Black Death
Quotes
The member of the house of quotes and a quote himself the Keeper of the minutes ( we call him Kotm) fished for you
  1. German proverbs, sayings and idioms Sail ....

The Lighthouse

This week I received five books. Most of them I ordered in advance. I love it to come home from work a find a package waiting for me. I assume most of you know that feeling.
But there is something really odd. The less I read the more I want to order books. Psychologists call that a vicarious satisfaction. It is like eating chocolate when you feel blue.
Fortunately I resist most of the time to order books which is obviously good for my wallet. I can't deny I'm a book addict.
I think I'm a book hunter-gatherer. I love to search for books and the process until I decide whether to buy a book or not often takes hours .....
Further on you will find some more information about my book searching process.

Enjoy your weekend ....

Books

Dear readers, I'm the one to tell you about books - only books? What about novellas and other stuff? My name is Bona. I scour shelves, shops and the net for books. If you call me a book whore I would not gainsay you. But be aware I have my own, sometimes elusive taste.

This week we received five books. I know that not all people like the presentation of received books with a blurb and other information. Therefore I try something new. In case it is a sequel of a series I will only post a cover with a link and a short comment.
Four of the books I ordered in advance are all second or third book in a series. Let me start with the one which is the first book in a series..

I love London and I like historical fiction. Some time ago I read about a series set in London of 1829 and with a kind of unappealing main character.
"Pyke ..... is a strange mixture of a character. He is an avowed thief and swindler, and not averse to committing murder if he feels it is justified, yet he appalled at the inhuman murder of innocents. He takes offence at people who try to swindle him, yet he himself is willing to swindle others. He has a soft interior, and is capable of deep love, and cold focussed revenge." [Source]
I could not withstand and bought The Last Days Of Newgate (pb, 2006) [ISBN-13: 978-0753821688] by Andrew Pepper, which is the first book in the Pyke Mystery series.

"St Giles, London, 1829. Three people have been brutally murdered and the city simmers with anger and political unrest. Pyke, sometime Bow Street Runner, sometime crook, finds himself accidentally embroiled in the murder investigation but quickly realizes that he has stumbled into something more sinister and far-reaching. In his pursuit of the murderer, Pyke ruffles the feathers of some powerful people, and, falsely accused of murder himself, he soon faces a death sentence and the gallows of Old Bailey. Imprisoned, and with only his uncle and the headstrong, aristocratic daughter of his greatest enemy believing in him, Pyke must engineer his escape, find the real killer, and untangle the web of politics that has been spun around him. From the gutters of Seven Dials, to the cells of Newgate prison; from the turmoil of 1800s Belfast to the highest levels of murky, pre-Victorian politics, The Last Days of Newgate is a gripping, darkly atmospheric story with a fantastic, pragmatic - and reluctantly heroic - hero." [Source]
Books in a series
Please click on the cover for more information

Canticle (pb, 2010) [ISBN-13: 978-0765360922] by Ken Scholes
(Book two; read and liked book one; on reading list 2010)

The Other Lands (pb, 2010) [ISBN-13: 978-0765360922] by David Anthony Durham
(Book two; I read book one in German and liked it; not on reading list 2010)

Stormlord Rising (pb, 2010) [ISBN-13: 978-0316069144] by Glenda Larke
(Book two; did not read book one so far; not on reading list 2010)

The Usurper (pb, 2010) [ISBN-13: 978-0316069144] by Rowena Cory Daniells
(Book three; read book one and liked it; on reading list 2010)

I know a that several blogger are working on their own novels. A lot of people think that it is not that difficult to write a fantasy book. But that is not true. Falcata Times found and reviewed a book which delivers advice. As I don't want to repeat the blurb please read WRITING ADVICE:Guide to Writing Fantasy and Science Fiction - Philip Athans.

From my point of you this book is also interesting for blogger and reader. I'm sure that you need a kind of talent.

Anyway I don't have any ambitions to write novels. I prefer to read. And what would be authors without readers .....


No more today, see you next week ......

Blogosphere

Hey, I'm Bona Fide. I just came back from my last foray through the blogosphere. What can you expect from me? I tell you: Everything from Art to Fart as long as there is any faint connection to books. And here is some honey from the beehive blogosphere...

Our lives are full of challenges. And of course there are reading challenges. To be honest I don't need any reading challenges because I'm more than happy when I finish more than one book per month. This year I wanted to read six books per month which means in sum 72 books. Until Today (September 4th) I finished 40. That means 32 books in four months. I'm not sure if I can cope with eight books per month. Time will tell.
To keep it short I just wanted to explain why I don't need any reading challenges. But I know a lot of readers like it. Therefore I would like to recommend just two reading challenges. Both give you the opportunity to take part with a minimum of time and effort - means to read one or more books.

Some of you may know that I contributed Only The Best Sci-Fi/Fantasy before I started my own blog. Alec and Seak started their Book Challenge recently. Let me quote Seak'sintroduction:
"I was thinking not too long ago about what if I just grabbed a random book from the bookstore and tried it out. One whose author I've never heard of before and maybe just because the cover strikes me in a certain way.
This challenge is particularly poignant for me because I'm normally one who has to research every purchase, especially books. Why don't I give that many bad reviews? Because I look up multiple blogs, forums, etc. to find something I'm almost 100% positive I will like.
Hence a challenge.
So, we're trying to find those "diamonds in the rough". And while we know this won't work out best for everyone, as a collective, maybe we can find some really good stuff that no one has read.
Consider yourself challenged.
If you have a blog, let us know and we'll link to you when you get a review up of your challenge book. If not, give us a comment or an email and we'll post about it."
I know not all of you have a blog. But I'm sure Seak and Alec will also take care on reviews posted for example over at GOODREADS.
Anyway I'm interested in the results....

The second challenge started on 1st of September but there is still enough time left to take part. Let me quote a part of the introduction from Stainless Steel Droppings:
"Mystery. Suspense. Thriller. Dark Fantasy. Gothic. Horror. Supernatural.

Though the weather outside ain’t frightful, this type of reading makes September and October delightful. I know that as I have gathered together books for this, the fifth annual R.eaders I.mbibing P.eril Challenge, I have felt that chill up my spine and an anticipation that was hard to put on hold until now.

There are two simple goals for the R.eaders I.mbibing P.eril V Challenge:

1. Have fun reading.
2. Share that fun with others.

As I do each and every year, there are multiple levels of participation that allow you to be a part of R.I.P. V without adding the burden of another commitment to your already busy lives. There is even a one book only option for those who feel that this sort of reading is not their cup of tea but want to participate all the same.

R.I.P. V officially runs from September 1st through October 31st. But lets go ahead and break the rules. Lets start today!!!

Multiple perils await you. You can participate in just one, or participate in them all."

I think that sounds good. For details please click on the following pic.




Like a lot of other people I spend a certain amount of time for searching books and book news. Today I will take you with me on one of my shorter trips through the www. I follow a lot of blogs but I can't visit them all daily. Thanks to Google Reader I don't miss a post. One of the blogs I follow is Simcha's SFF Chat. Yesterday I read her post New Scifi & Fantasy Releases: Week of August 29. Following book aroused my interest and made it to my list: The Skin Map (hc, 31st of August 2010) [ISBN-13: 978-1595548047] by Stephen R Lawhead (I assume the paperback will be published in 2011).
"Kit Livingstone's great-grandfather has re-appeared with an unbelievable story--the ley lines throughout Britain are not merely the stuff of legends but truly are pathways to other worlds. So few people know how to use them, though, that doing so is fraught with danger.
But one explorer knew more than most. Because of his fear of being unable to find his way home, he developed an intricate code and tattooed his map onto his skin. But the map has since been lost and rival factions are in desperate competition to recover it. What none of them yet realize is that the skin map itself is not the prize at the end of this race . . . but merely the first goal of a vast and marvelous quest to regain Paradise.
Enter the ultimate treasure hunt--with a map made of skin, a playing field of alternate realities, and a prize that is the greatest mystery of all."
I have been intrigued by the blurb. Ley-Lines? What the hell are Ley-Lines? I did not know but wikipedia:
"Ley lines are alleged alignments of a number of places of geographical interest, such as ancient monuments and megaliths that are thought by certain adherents to dowsing and New Age beliefs to have spiritual power."
Next travel station: Stephen R Lawhead's website. Where I found following book trailer:

So I learned something new and found one more book for my list. And the travel continued. I read the comment section of Simcha's post. Ryan G wrote that he has reviewed all books in The Last Herald Mage triology by Mercedes Lackey. That aroused my interest. I visited his blog Wordsmithonia and found the review of following book: The Disappearing Spoon (hc, ) [ISBN-13: 978-0316051644] by Sam Kean.
"The Periodic Table is one of man's crowning scientific achievements. But it's also a treasure trove of stories of passion, adventure, betrayal, and obsession. The infectious tales and astounding details in THE DISAPPEARING SPOON follow carbon, neon, silicon, and gold as they play out their parts in human history, finance, mythology, war, the arts, poison, and the lives of the (frequently) mad scientists who discovered them.
We learn that Marie Curie used to provoke jealousy in colleagues' wives when she'd invite them into closets to see her glow-in-the-dark experiments. And that Lewis and Clark swallowed mercury capsules across the country and their campsites are still detectable by the poison in the ground. Why did Gandhi hate iodine? Why did the Japanese kill Godzilla with missiles made of cadmium? And why did tellurium lead to the most bizarre gold rush in history?
From the Big Bang to the end of time, it's all in THE DISAPPEARING SPOON."[Source]
After reading the blurb and the review. I searched for more reviews. And I found one which convinced me immediately that I have to add to my list. Please read Clive Maxfield's Book Review: The Disappearing Spoon by Sam Kean and tell how convincing you find this review. This man really loves science!
Even this is neither a fantasy nor sci-fi, I think it is useful to read books like this one.
I totally forgot to check out The Last Herald Mage triology. So I returned to Wordsmithonia and read the reviews: Magic's Pawn by Mercedes Lackey, Magic's Promise by Mercedes Lackey and Magic's Price by Mercedes Lackey. Good reviews but it is not the kind of stuff I want to read in near future.
And this is the end of one of my shorter blog travel. I hope you like it.

Last but not least something for the eye. Again I like to present you three posts from WebUrbanist one of my favorite non book blogs.

As we all know cities and city centers play an important role in the history of mankind. And it is quite interesting to see the plans and ideas of former generations. Go to Retro-Futurism: 13 Failed Urban Design Ideas and goggle....

What do you imagine when you read following words: Clothing, Suitcase, Architecture, Cities? I assume nothing which you will find when you go to Portable Cities: Suitcase Architecture Made from Clothing. Astonishing what you can do with these ingredients.

Do you like robots? Do you have a favorite robot like R2D2? Ever thought about to over your skin with a robot tattoo? You want to see some example? Then go to Robot Tattoos: Awesome Mechanical Body Art ....

Plague-ridden medieval England: Bodies lie scattered in their hundreds, the country is in turmoil. One hope remains, rumours of a village that is unaffected by the deadly disease. As God’s ambassador, young monk Osmund (Eddie Redmayne) is tasked in leading the fearsome knight Ulrich (Sean Bean) and his group of mercenaries to the remote village. Their quest is to hunt down a necromancer - someone able to bring the dead back to life.
Their journey is treacherous and filled with danger; encountering deadly bandits and vicious witch-burnings that will put their faith to the ultimate test. Though it’s upon entering the village that their true horror begins...
From Christopher Smith, director of cult hits Creep, Severance and Triangle, comes a brutal and terrifying epic that guarantees to chill the blood and stir the soul." [Source]
And this is the trailer:



That's all for today. See you next time....

Quotes

I 'm the Keeper of the minutes. But I don't mind when you call me Kotm. No, no. I don't explain to you how to pronounce.
From time to time I would like to get rid of ediFanoB's thoughts. Then I set sail to an uncharted part of his brain ... Sail quotes would be nice ...

"As we sail thru life, don't avoid rough waters, sail on because calm waters won't make a skillful sailor
Author unknown

"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward, American dedicated scholar, author, editor, pastor and teacher

"It is the set of the sails, not the direction of the wind that determines which way we will go.
Jim Rohn, American Author

"Thought is the wind, knowledge the sail, and mankind the vessel.
August Hare (1792-1834)

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
Mark Twain, American Writer (1835-1910)

4 comments:

Leigh Russell said...

I have the opposite problem - I never seem to get enough sleep. Too busy writing!

ediFanoB said...

Leigh,

I tried to reduce the hours I sleep. But I found out that I need at least six hours per day.
And you may know that it is not healthy to sleep less than six hours per day.

Anonymous said...

Have you heard about the treasure hunt connected to Lawhead's book (The Skin Map)? It's like a nationwide geocaching game with a great prize! The first clue even involves a ley line. It's going to be awesome fun. More info here: http://thebrightempires.com/

ediFanoB said...

Anonymous,

thank you very much for the information. I didn't know that.
Unfortunately I can't take part because I don't live in the United States.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...