Monday, September 13, 2010

Edi's Lighthouse Ledger: SepOct 2010 details part two

Dear Readers,

today I want to present you my most ambitious project for the next two months. There is a series consisting of five books. They have been published between 1995 and 2002. As you can imagine, some of the books are out of print. Fortunately Solaris reissued the whole series in form of two omnibus. I posted about both books in Edi's Weekend Wave #33.
To keep it short, I talk about The Monarchies of God series by Paul Kearney.

Of course a bunch of reviews is available - Use Google and search for Hawkwood and the Kings by Paul Kearney review and Century of the Soldier by Paul Kearney review. so far I did not read a negative review.
I'm keen to read and review the books.


I own copies of Hawkwood and the Kings (2010) [ISBN-13: 978-1906735708] which contains Hawkwood's Voayge and The Heretic Kings and Century of the Soldier (pb 2010) [ISBN-13: 978-1907519093] which contains The Iron Wars, The Second Empire and Ships from the West.


And now I come back to my ambitious project.
First step will be to read the books - "only" 1515 pages which is not much compared to other series.
Second step will be a The Monarchies of God and Paul Kearney week. That means six consecutive posts with a daily review of one of the books and a final post about Paul Kearney and his books. As I mentioned before, there are a lot of reviews available but I think Paul Kearney deserves much more attention.

I'm afraid I'm a bit rhapsodical. I think a need it after the kinky weekend.

Let me finish this post with two things:
The first one is the synopsis (only two sentences!) of Hawkwood's Voayge - the first book in the series:
"The Western World is in flames, the cities and cathedrals of the Faith set to the torch by the invading Merduks. For buccaneer Richard Hawkwood escape seems the only answer, and an ancient logbook, found in a deserted ship a century before, tells of a free land across the Western ocean."
I listened to following song during the time I wrote this post. It is from the Swiss band Excelsis:


ENJOY READING ...

4 comments:

Sarah said...

I just picked up my copy of Hawkwood and the Kings from the bookstore on Sunday. I'm really excited to read it because, like you, I have yet to read anything negative about the series. I hope to start it fairly soon.

ediFanoB said...

Sarah,

I'm sure you will read it before I do.
Anyhow I hope we both will enjoy the series.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

1500 pages isn't bad for a whole series.
And "kinky" weekend? What did I miss in your weekend posts???

ediFanoB said...

Alex,

maybe I used the wrong word. My dictionary shows 14 different translations for "kinky". I checked again and now I think "screwed up" or "messed up" would have been the appropriate choice.

The number of pages is not really significant. Word count would be precise and comparable. But 1500 pages paperback is fine for a series.

The Lord of the Rings - 50th Anniversary Single Volume Edition: Including: The Fellowship of the Ring / The Two Towers / The Return of the King consists of 1216 pages...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...