Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Edi's Lighthouse Chatter: Travel in Time

Do you like time travel books/movies? I do.

I still remember the awesome TIME TUNNEL series from the sixties. For all of you who don't know the series I post a promo trailer for you

I think it is still worth to watch ...

My favorite time traveling movie is The Time Machine based on H. G. Well's 1895 novel of the same name.



Of course there is a reason why I post about time travel. Yesterday evening someone mentioned following book trailer:

I must say I have been blown away. Absolutely stunning, awesome, intriguing!!

This is the trailer for the first book in a news series (planned nine books!!) called TimeRiders by Alex Scarrow.
"Liam O’Connor should have died at sea in 1912. Maddy Carter should have died on a plane in 2010. Sal Vikram should have died in a fire in 2026. Yet moments before death, someone mysteriously appeared and said, ‘Take my hand . . .’ But Liam, Maddy and Sal aren’t rescued. They are recruited by an agency that no one knows exists, with only one purpose – to fix broken history. Because time travel is here, and there are those who would go back in time and change the past. That’s why the TimeRiders exist: to protect us. To stop time travel from destroying the world . . ." [Source]
I must admit that without this trailer I would not have noticed the series because it has been labeled as YA (young adult). After watching the trailer I tried to get more information about the books and the author. The official TimeRiders site offers a lot of information. I also read several reviews of the first book - TimeRiders (2010) [ISBN-13: 978-0141326924] and most of the reviewers wrote explicitely that the TimeRiders series is more an all age series than YA only.
"The first book in the series sees our freshly recruited team thrown into the thick of it before they’ve had a chance to fully train. Paul Kramer, a brilliant physicist from the future, has plans to alter the past – to lead Nazi Germany to victory over the allies and to ensure an ordered World Reich under his rule.
Liam and the team’s support unit, Bob, are sent back in time to try and stall Kramer’s plans, whilst in the present, Maddy and Sal witness New York altered by the arrival of a time wave to a terrifying new reality – an apocalyptic landscape of ruins and the savage mutated descendents of some nuclear holocaust.
Can Liam and Bob fix history, before the mutants find the girls….and eat them?" [Source]
The good thing is that also the second book - TimeRiders: Day of the Predator (2010) [ISBN-13: 978-0141326931] - is available.
"When Maddy mistakenly opens a time window where and when she shouldn’t have, Liam is marooned sixty-five million years ago in the hunting ground of a deadly – and until now – undiscovered species of predator.
Can Liam make contact with Maddy and Sal before he’s torn to pieces by dinosaurs – and without endangering history so much that the world is overtaken by a terrifying new reality?" [Source]

The title reminds me of a movie .......

I think you know what I will present you next ... Of course the TimeRiders: Day of the Predator trailer



When you think that is all for today, then you failed. All fans of the series look forward to February 2011. When everything goes well TimeRiders: The Doomsday Code (February 2011) [ISBN-13: 978-0141333489] will be published.
"In 1993 British computer hacker Adam Lewis finds his name in a coded manuscript that is almost one thousand years old. How did Adam's name get in there ...and why? Confronted by Adam in 2001, the TimeRiders travel back to Sherwood Forest in 1193 to discover the origins of the ancient message. But when a strange hooded man appears interested in the same thing, they begin to wonder what terrible threat this cryptic link from the past holds for the future..." [Source]
1193, Sherwood Forest .... that means for me Robin Hood, Little John, Tuck and more ....
All in all a series I'm really interested in. I like history, time travel and adventure.

ENJOY READING

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey edi, thanks for such a comprehensive write-up! I hope you enjoy reading the series as much as I did writing it thus far. FYI....the TimeRiders series is going to be 9 books in total. I 'm about to start writing book 4 next week.

Anyway, thanks for the mention!

Best

Alex Scarrow (author - TimeRiders)

ediFanoB said...

Alex,

thanks for your kind comment. I must admit that I did not read one of the books so far. But I felt the need to write about the trailer and the series.

TimeRiders and TimeRiders: Day of the Predator are on my books to buy list for December 2010 and TimeRiders:The Doomsday Code is on my books to buy list for March 2011.

Be sure I will post again about your books ....

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...