Saturday, September 25, 2010

Edi's Weekend Wave #39

Update: Did you miss #39 of Edi's Weekend Wave? Me too. What happened? I do not really know. I thought, everything went well. But when I checked my blog this morning, I did not find my post. NO, NO, NO, I don't to blame anybody. I identified the problem as a simple PEBKAC. Just look at the following cartoon from userfriendly.org which explains the meaning of PEBKAC
(Click on cartoon to enlarge)


Hello and welcome to issue #39 of Edi's Weekend Wave. Summer left our region. It is getting colder, rain, gray sky, less hours of daylight. That sounds depressing. But for me it is the start of the real reading season. Just me, good books, tea or hot chocolate, biscuits and my favorite reading chair. After a slow reading September (I will be happy when I finish three books by end of the month) I look forward to a busy reading October. To my pleasure I have two weeks off. I need these two weeks for my The Monarchies of God project.
I recognized that there is a small jubilee ahead. I'm not far away from my 100th post. Not bad for a part time blogger ...
And now

ENJOY READING ....


Edi's Guidepost

The Lighthouse
News and information straight from the horse's mouth by Lighthouse keeper ediFanoB
  1. Listening to ....
Books
The latest report from our shelf shop net correspondent Bona
  1. Books received this week
  2. Aurorarama
  3. Clockwork Angel
Blogosphere
Messages from the depths of the blogosphere by spheronaut Bona Fide
  1. K. W. Jeter: Steampunk roots
  2. Mark Hodder interview
  3. The Adventures of the 19XX
  4. PAX BRITANNIA
Movies
Remote control junkie Fide and his zapping highlights
  1. The Sorcerer's Apprentice: My impressions
  2. Black Death: My impressions
  3. Next movie to watch: Adèle und das Geheimnis des Pharaohs
Quotes
The member of the house of quotes and a quote himself the Keeper of the minutes ( we call him Kotm) fished for you
  1. German proverbs, sayings and idioms Tea ....

The Lighthouse

I think I mentioned several times that I listen to music while I write the Weekend Wave. In September and October I will share with you the song(s) I listened to.
While I wrote this issue of the Edi's Weekend Wave I listened to Zombie performed by The Cranberries with their Dolores O'Riordan. The song has been released in 1994.

Dolores O'Riordan is an extraordinary singer and Zombie is an extraordinary intensive song. So powerful.
Watch and listen to the original video:


The second video shows the interaction between Dolores O'Riordan and the audience:



Enjoy your weekend ....

Books

Dear readers, I'm the one to tell you about books - only books? What about novellas and other stuff? My name is Bona. I scour shelves, shops and the net for books. If you call me a book whore I would not gainsay you. But be aware I have my own, sometimes elusive taste.

Another "one book week". Tor/forge publicist Cassandra Ammerman surprised me with a copy of the third book in the Onyx Court series by Marie Brennan.
I read and reviewed Midnight Never Comes (pb, 2008) [ISBN-13: 978-0316020299], which is the first book in the series.
"In hidden catacombs beneath London, a second Queen holds court: Invidiana, ruler of faerie England, and a dark mirror to the glory above. In the thirty years since Elizabeth ascended her throne, fae and mortal politics have become inextricably entwined, in secret alliances and ruthless betrayals whose existence is suspected only by a few." [Source] For more information follow this link.
The second volume - In Ashes Lie (pb, 2009) [ISBN-13: 978-0316020329] - is on my shelf... unread.
"September, 1666 The mortal civil war is over. But the war among the fae is still raging, and London is its battleground. There are forces that despise the Onyx Court, and will do anything to destroy it. But now a greater threat has come, one that could destroy everything. In the house of a sleeping baker, a spark leaps free of the oven -- and ignites a blaze that will burn London to the ground. For three harrowing days, the mortals and fae of the city will fight to save their home. While the humans struggle to halt the conflagration that is devouring London street by street, the fae pit themselves against a less tangible foe: the spirit of the fire itself, powerful enough to annihilate everything in its path. Neither side can win on its own -- but can they find a way to fight together? " [Source] For detailed information follow this link.


And now I received book three: A Star Shall Fall (pb, 2010) [ISBN-13: 978-0765325365]. The story continues. I don't want to give way too much of the story which is directly connected to the events described in book two.

Click here for more information

The next book in the Onyx Court series - working title 1884 - will be published in 2011.

What do you think about following book trailer?

Did it arise your interest? I must admit I read a review about the book before I watched the trailer. I'm not really sure whether I would have added the book to my list without reading
which is a great review. I highly recommend to read it.
It seems to be a wonderful book and I hope there will be a paperback edition within 2011.

Have a look at following trailer

For me the trailer is mouth-watering. A new steampunk series. Therefore I tried to get more information about A Clockwork Angel (pb, 2010) [ISBN-13: 978-1406321326] by Cassandra Clare. It is the first book in the The Infernal Devices series. The official site is excellent and offers tons of information in a "steamy" ambience. But the more I read the less steampunk I found. And now I know the reason why. I found the answer in the offical FAQ.
There is an explanation about the use of steampunk in the book:
"Steampunk is very hard to define. There are a number of definitions to be found here, including this one from Tinker Girl at Brass Goggles, that I like: “Steampunk is a genre of fiction set somewhere in the 1800’s during the Victorian Era. The fictional part comes in that technology has gone a bit skewed - though the exact methods vary, generally steam-powered devices that would have been impossible or unfeasible at the time are found to exist. Examples include steam-robots, flying castles, under-water bases, moon rockets, time machines etc."
Obviously, this doesn’t really describe my Clockwork series, which is set in our recognizable historical past, not an alternate version of it. But I love the aesthetic of steampunk and tried to work it in in small ways, ..." [Source]
Combined with the other information I found, I must say, this is not what I expected. But I'm sure a lot of people will love it. I prefer another kind of steampunk books. You will find two within this issue of the Weekend Wave.

No more today, see you next week ......

Blogosphere

Hey, I'm Bona Fide. I just came back from my last foray through the blogosphere. What can you expect from me? I tell you: Everything from Art to Fart as long as there is any faint connection to books. And here is some honey from the beehive blogosphere...

It was science fiction author K. W. Jeter who coined the term "steampunk. Read the excellent Wikipedia article about Steampunk. K. W. Jeter is the author of Morlock Night (1979) and Infernal Devices (1987) which belong to the early steampunk books.
As you can imagine, I would like to read them. Sadly they are out of print. But there is always hope that a publisher pick up these books and republish them. And it happens:
September 23, over at Angry Robots, Two absolutely stunning new Steampunk covers
I jumped for joy! Angry Robots will publish both books with new covers in spring 2011. I think this is a result of the growing interest in steampunk in common and in steampunk literature in particular. I fully agree that the artwork by John Coulthart is absolutely stunning.
Morlock Night (pb, 2011) [ISBN-13: 978-0857661005] by K. W. Jeter
"What happened when the time machine returned? Morlock Night is a memorably different excursion in science fiction - a gripping classic adventure in past, present and future - with some startling surprising!" [Source]
For detailed information I recommend to read Morlock Night by K. W. Jeter: Review over at RetroSpeculation.

"It all began when the Brown Leather Man, a mysterious being with a secret older than humankind, asked proper Victorian London gentleman George Dower to repair a weird device. How coud George have known that this was but one of the many infernal devices his genius father had built, and that he himself would soon be pursued by former clients of his father? For George had always been the unsuspecting key to his father's incredible plans, a key that others would like to possess - from the automaton who wore George's own face to the mad Lord Bendray, bent on using George to destroy the entire Earth." [Source]
I have been so excited that I ordered both books in advance!! I hope a lot more people will share my interest for these books.


In my 2010 half time report I wrote
NUMBER TWO
Even we have unanimous top read the gap between number two and number one is not that big. It is a debut novel. It is set in London and there is steampunk. Michael Moorcock wrote: "The best debut novel I have read in ages." We agree mostly with him. It is a great, great, great read. We will explain in detail in our upcoming review (will be posted in July). There are two completely different covers for UK (right) and US (left). For this reason I present you both covers of our number two:

The Strange Affair of Spring-Heeled Jack
by Mark Hodder
(review in progress)



In July 2010 I reviewed The Strange Affair of Spring-Helled Jack by Mark Hodder. For me The Strange Affair of Spring-Heeled Jack is still one of the debut novels of 2010. Therefore I have been happy when I found the great and informative interview with Mark Hodder over at LEC Book Reviews.
To my pleasure there will be two more Burton &Swinburne books. The next one - The Curious Case of the Clockwork Man - will be published in 2011. This time the story is based around one of the famous real-life case in the United Kingdom: The Tichborne Claimant case. I did not know the case before. It is a quite interesting one.
So far no cover is available and it is not possible to order the book in advance. I will check regularly and keep you updated.
Expeditions to the mountains of the Moon is the working title of book three. Burton will return to Africa.
Furthermore Mark Hodder, whom you can meet on Twitter (just click on the name), has plans for a second trilogy.
I loved to read that. And if you are as interested in the Burton &Swinburne series as I'm then I higly recommend to read the mentioned interview.


Do you like webcomics?
The 19XX Movie Poster
Look at the picture. That promise dirigibles and adventure in an Art Deco world.
The webcomic The Adventures of the 19xx "will be updated every two weeks on Wednesdays, with extra stuff uploaded now and then as well."
The publishing started in 2009. But that should not hinder you to follow the whole story so far.
To enter the first page just click on following link:


I read several pages and have been intrigued. I will definitely follow the story ......

PAX BRITANNIA is one of my favorite steampunk series. Just read my latest post about PAX BRITANNIA:

Today I have some news one one reminder for you.
From now own you can access to the site of author Jonathan Green buy using
www.JonathanGreenAuthor.com

And this is the new official way to access to the PAX Britannia site:
www.PaxBritannia.com

Don't forget, the next Ulysses Quicksilver adventure - Dark Side (pb, 2011) [ISBN-13: 978-1906735852] by Jonathan Green - is coming soon. Let me rock the house:
"START A NEW LIFE ON THE MOON!
Yes, incredible opportunities await you on Earth's most popular emigration destination. Let us bring you to the moon in style. Our weekly flights depart from all the major London spaceports. From thearchitectural splendor of Luna Prime to Serenity City, there really is something for everyone. Or if it's adventure you're looking for, why not seek out old enemies and win new allies as you hunt for the killer of your nearest and dearest? So what are you waiting for? Murder and mayhem await you on the dark side of the moon. But remember, in space no one can hear you hullabaloo!" [Source]
I'm so excited to read about a "steampunked" moon.


You still did not read a Ulysses Quicksilver adventure? Then let me tell you that also the first PAX BRITANNIA omnibus (pb, 2010) [ISBN-13: 978-1907519567] which contains the first three Ulysses Quicksilver adventures is coming soon ....


That's it for today. Come back next week for more ......

Movies

Hey, it's me Fide. I'm a remote control professional. I'm that fast that I can watch two movies at the same time.
But don't worry. All the stuff I present to you will be shown at normal speed.

This week my wife and I have been to cinema twice.

On Monday we saw The Magician's apprentice starring Nicolas Cage.
I t was a nice movie. Just something to relax. I could not identify a specific meaning and depth.
For me it was the kind of movie which you watch just for plain entertainment. In half a year I will hardly remember that I have seen this film. The trailer shows some of the "magic" highlights.


On Thursday we saw Compared to The Magician's Apprentice it is a movie with meaning and depth. A ruthless depiction of the brutal life in the 14th century during the plague in England. A movie without happy end. I refused to imagine the nauseous smell of this time. Must have been as worse as the Great Stink. It is exactly the movie as promised in the synopsis
Plague-ridden medieval England: Bodies lie scattered in their hundreds, the country is in turmoil. One hope remains, rumours of a village that is unaffected by the deadly disease. As God’s ambassador, young monk Osmund (Eddie Redmayne) is tasked in leading the fearsome knight Ulrich (Sean Bean) and his group of mercenaries to the remote village. Their quest is to hunt down a necromancer - someone able to bring the dead back to life.
Their journey is treacherous and filled with danger; encountering deadly bandits and vicious witch-burnings that will put their faith to the ultimate test. Though it’s upon entering the village that their true horror begins...
From Christopher Smith, director of cult hits Creep, Severance and Triangle, comes a brutal and terrifying epic that guarantees to chill the blood and stir the soul." [Source]
I show you once again the trailer:


Next week a french movie - Les aventures extraordinaires d'Adèle Blanc-Sec (Germany title = Adèle und das Geheimnis des Pharaohs, which is not a one to one translation; English title = The extraordinary adventures of Adèle Blanc-Sec), directed by Luc Besson - will hit the cinemas in Germany. I don't know if the movie will be shown in UK and USA. I show you the French trailer with German subtitles.I think you will understand without knowledge of the German language. The pictures speak for themselves. The film is based on a comic series of the same name. Maybe following synopsis is helpful for you:
"The adventures, set in Paris in the years before and after World War I, revolve around the protagonist Adèle Blanc-Sec. A cynical heroine, she is initially a novelist of popular fiction, who turns to investigative journalism as her research and subsequent adventures reveal further details of the mystical world of crime. Themes of the occult, corruption, official incompetence, and the dangers of patriotism suffuse the series. One interesting feature is the hiatus which separates Adèle's first exploits, taking place in 1910s Paris, from later ones, instead set in the post-WWI milieu. The separation is explained with her having been cryogenically hibernated following a grave injury. The expedient was deemed necessary by Tardi to avoid her entanglement in the First World War. In an interview he declared: "Her feisty nature made it impossible to provide her with a place in the war. She would not have been allowed to fight, and could no more have settled for being a nurse, than she could have remained home rolling bandages"." [Source]
Seems to be an amusing movie. Will tell you more as soon as I have seen it. Now enjoy the trailer.


That's all for today. See you next time....

Quotes

I 'm the Keeper of the minutes. But I don't mind when you call me Kotm. No, no. I don't explain to you how to pronounce.
ediFanoB wrote about autumn and he mentioned tea. We all like to drink tea. But we do not like eithe black nor green tea. And now enjoy the result of my search for tea quotes ...

"If you are cold, tea will warm you. If you are too heated, it will cool you. If you are depressed, it will cheer you. If you are excited, it will calm you.
William Ewart Gladstone, British Liberal Statesman (1809 – 1898)

"If this is coffee, please bring me some tea; but if this is tea, please bring me some coffee.
Abraham Lincoln, 16th US President (1809-1865)

"Where there's tea there's hope.
Arthur W. Pinero

"You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me
C.S. Lewis, British Scholar and Novelist (1898-1963)

"Tea and books - Mmmmmm, two of life's exquisite pleasures that together bring near-bliss.
Christine Hanrahan

2 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Haven't seen Black Death, but will watch Sorcerer's Apprentice when it hits NetFlix. I figured it was a fun, mindless film.

ediFanoB said...

Alex,

you're right. Sorcerer's Apprentice is film just to get rid of the daily business.

Black Death is ruthless, violent, thoughtful. A depiction of life in plague-ridden medieval England and the influence of religion.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...