Saturday, August 28, 2010

Edi's Weekend Wave #35

Hello and welcome to issue #35 of Edi's Weekend Wave. As expected I got a flu. No reading on Sunday and on Monday. Only a few pages from Tuesday to Thursday. And I can assure you life is sad without reading. On Friday is my mother's birthday (she turns 76 and is still able to manage her life on her own). We will visit her on Saturday. That means not much time left for this Weekend Wave but I'm sure you will understand. Therefore I thought it would be an interesting idea to compose this Weekend Wave in a different way. No hunt for the latest news around books, blogs and movies. I hope you will like it. ENJOY READING ....


Edi's Guidepost

The Lighthouse
News and information straight from the horse's mouth by Lighthouse keeper ediFanoB
  1. A different Weekend Wave
Books
The latest report from our shelf shop net correspondent Bona
  1. Book received this week: ???
  2. The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson - Thoughts
  3. Book editions: About language preferences
  4. Looking for upcoming steampunk novels?
Blogosphere
Messages from the depths of the blogosphere by spheronaut Bona Fide
  1. Voyages Extraordinaire
  2. Blog(s), Twitter, Google Reader - About spending time
Movies
Remote control junkie Fide and his zapping highlights
  1. Fabulous World of Jules Verne
Quotes
The member of the house of quotes and a quote himself the Keeper of the minutes ( we call him Kotm) fished for you
  1. German proverbs, sayings and idioms Jules Verne ....

The Lighthouse

Sometimes it makes sense to write about one topic from different point of views. within in this post you will find snippets which are related to one man and his oeuvre. He lived from 8 February 1828 to 24 March 1905. For many people he is one of "Fathers of science fiction". I talk about Jules Verne.
In our fast living world we often tend to forget to remember the wonderful novels which are more than one hundred years old. Do you remember when you read From the Earth to the Moon [ISBN-13: 978-0553214208] and/or Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea [ISBN-13: 978-0140624366] for the very first time? I know I discovered them in the library when I was around ten years old. I have been fascinated like many people before and after me. There must be still people who read them. Or can you think of anything else why these stories are published again and again. You will meet Jules Verne and his books again within this post.


Enjoy your weekend ....

Books

Dear readers, I'm the one to tell you about books - only books? What about novellas and other stuff? My name is Bona. I scour shelves, shops and the net for books. If you call me a book whore I would not gainsay you. But be aware I have my own, sometimes elusive taste.

This week we received again NO book. But next week we expect the delivery of minimum four books - due to the delivery advices we received. And I buy them all on my own.

There is a lot of hype around The Way of Kings (hc, 31st of August 2010) [ISBN-13: 978-0765326355] by Brandon Sanderson. Did you read one of the numerous reviews? Hopefully it was not one of these fake reviews on Twitter. You may have asked yourself why I don't have a review. The reason is quite simple. I did not get an ARC. I also don't buy hardcover. And without reading I don't review a book. That means I will buy a paperback copy which will be published in September 2011. I'm not sad about it because I still have so many good books to read and review ...

For all of you who don't know: I'm German and I live in Germany. That leads to the question why I prefer to read and post in English. There are several reasons. There are far more fantasy authors outside of Germany. I don't like to wait until all these great books are translated to German. Not every book I would like to read is available in German. German editions are always more expensive. I want to talk about the books I read. And I like to talk with people from other countries with other backgrounds than mine. That leads more or less directly to English language.
Of course I look mostly for fantasy books in English. But when I want to know something about German translations I don't check German publisher sites. Instead I check blogs. It is impressive to see how many blogger post a about fantasy book translations. Let me give you one example.
I hope you know the most famous blogger of South Africa: Dave-Brendon De Burgh.He is the mastermind behind DaveBrendon's Fantasy & SciFi Weblog. Dave does not speak that much German but he posted about Mark Newton’s German deal & City of Ruin Paperback Cover. Fortunately I could read both mentioned book in 2009 and 2010. All people who read only German editions have to wait until the end of 2011 for the first book. That is sad. But on they other hand they are lucky because the books will be translated.

I promised not to hunt for the latest book news. But I could not withstand to mention following post: Steampunk Autumn. This post contains four books. I own, read and reviewed the UK edition of the first one. I ordered the second and third in advance and the fourth is in my list. Maybe you like one of these too ....

No more today, see you next week ......

Blogosphere

Hey, I'm Bona Fide. I just came back from my last foray through the blogosphere. What can you expect from me? I tell you: Everything from Art to Fart as long as there is any faint connection to books. And here is some honey from the beehive blogosphere...

Voyages Extraordinaire
This is at the same time a publishing title affixed to the books of Jules Verne and it is also the name of a blog:
Voyages Extraordinaires is a weblog for people of intelligence and good breeding who enjoy Victorian-Edwardian Scientific Romances and Retro-Futurism, Victoriana and Neo-Victorianism, Voyages Extraordinaires and Imperialist Romances, Gothic Horror, Pulp Fiction, the Golden Ages of Hollywood and of Travel, silent and early films, points suprêmes and real life adventures into places exotic and historic.
In case you are interested in the mentioned topics I highly recommend to visit the site by clicking on the logo above.

Like a lot of other blogger I spend up to two hours per day for Google Reader (checking other blogs), commenting, work on my own posts, mail, Twitter and Facebook. Every day I have to think how much time I can spend. Fortunately there are some people providing advice and/or moral support.
Today I want to say thank you to three fellow blogger who have been inspiring, helpful and trustworthy especially in the past month. And I definitely recommend to visit their blogs:

Sarah and her Bookworm Blues with a growing index of good reviews

The one and only incredible Dave-Brendon from South Africa and his
DaveBrendon's Fantasy & SciFi Weblog.

And not to forget

6 comments:

Sarah said...

Wow, you've have/had one busy weekend ahead of you (or behind you, depending on when you read this comment). I hope your flu is long gone. Being sick is terrible. it seems like all the junk goes around when the seasons change.

Thanks for mentioning my blog. I really do appreciate it. I might suck at commenting but I always read yours religiously :)

Seak (Bryce L.) said...

Ahh, thanks man. :) Hope all goes well this weekend and get better soon. That's the worst.

ediFanoB said...

Dear Sarah,

it just happens. I tried to make the most of it. But now I'm more or less well again.
I know you read my posts and I highly appreciate it. I also read your posts and do not leave always a comment.

ediFanoB said...

Hi Seak,

I'm more or less well again. I felt I must say some nice words about people in the blogosphere who are important for me.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Bummer about the flu. And that's too bad it takes so long to get books in German.

ediFanoB said...

Alex,

so you will understand why I'm more than happy that I can read books in English.

A flu is aggravating because it has an impact especially on my post schedule.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...