Sunday, August 22, 2010

Edi's Spotlight: Discord's Apple by Carrie Vaughn

Thanks to Tor/forge for sending me a copy of Discord's Apple (2010, 299 p.) [ISBN-13: 978-0765325549] by Carrie Vaughn. You may know her as the author of the Kitty Norville series (vampires, werewolves, talk radio) which consists of eight books so far .
"When Evie Walker goes home to spend time with her dying father, she discovers that his creaky old house in Hope's Fort, Colorado is not the only legacy she stands to inherit. Hidden behind the old basement door is a secret and magical storeroom where wondrous treasures from myth and legend are kept safe unit they are needed again. The magic of the storeroom prevents access to any who are not intended to use the items.
Evie must guard the storeroom against ancient and malicious forces, protecting the past and the future even as the present unravels around them. Old heroes and notorious villains alike will rise to fight on her side or to undermine her most desperate gambits. At stake is the fate of the world, and the prevention of nothing less than the apocalypse." [Source]
I thought it would be a good idea to post the review today because I posted about apples in issue #34 of Edi's Weekend Wave.
Before I start with the review let me tell you that the apple of discord is part of the Greek mythology.

Greek mythology, especially the Trojan War, the casus belli and the life of Greek gods is one of the four story lines you find in Discord's Apple. The second story line is about the history of Evie Walker's predecessors. The third story line is a graphic novel about a covert military assault team overseas written by Evie and a colleague. And finally we have the story about Evie in the presence. All these stories are connected in one way or the other. But even with the connection it is ambitious to cover four story lines in 299 pages.

I liked two of the described story lines and both are the ones who cover the past. To read about Greek mythology reminded my of youth when I loved to read Odysseus' adventures and other stories. But you should be aware that Greek gods like(d) sex. The history of Evie Walker's predecessors gave some interesting information about the storeroom.
Evie use the work on the graphic novel as a reflection of her life so far - her wishes and the reality. But we do not really take part in that reflection and as more Evie fells in love with one of the heroes from the past the reflection disappear. Evie is not a real active person. She is mostly driven by other people.
I did not find a connection to one of the main characters. I have been temped to read the Greek mythology passages only but in the I read the whole book for the review and liked half of it.

I'm sure there will be people who will like Discord's Apple much more than I did. If you want a fresh retelling of what happened before the Trojan War, how the war ended and what happened afterwards then half of the book is as good for you as it has been for me.
For the other half of the book you must find out for yourself whether you like it or not.

Anyway I recommend to read all the Discord's Apple comments and reviews over at Goodreads which hopefully helps to build up your mind. Discord's Apple got an average rating of 3.59 - maximum is five.

4 comments:

Simcha said...

I had thought this book sounded interesting when I first heard of it but I haven't really read any good reviews of it so I'll probably pass on this one. Thanks for the review!

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I'm not a big fan of historical, so I'll skip this one as well.

ediFanoB said...

@Simcha,

like you, I found only a few good reviews.
Nevertheless for me Discord's Apple has been a read outside my comfort zone. I would never have bought the book on my own.

ediFanoB said...

@Alex,
we all have our likes/dislikes.

I really like historical thrillers. But as I wrote in my review. It is not enough to enjoy just half of a book.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...