Wednesday, August 04, 2010

Edi's Lighthouse Chatter: It's Wednesday not Tuesday

Dear Readers,

I have been so busy with reading that I totally forgot to write the post I planned for Tuesday.

On Monday my wife and I have been to cinema: INCEPTION


Don't worry, you don't get a movie review from me.
Awesome! Worth watching! You do not need 3D for excellent movies.
My second Leonardo DiCaprio movie after Shutter Island. And I must admit he does a really good job.
If you have the opportunity then go and watch it.

After a several weeks I finished reading of
The Dream of Perpetual Motion (2010, 432 p.) [ISBN-13: 978-0312558154] by Dexter Palmer.
"A wonderfully imagined debut novel about a greeting card writer who must come to terms with the madness of a genius inventor and his quest to create the perpetual motion machine.
Imprisoned aboard a zeppelin that floats above a city reminiscent of those of the classic films Metropolis and Brazil, the greeting card writer Harold Winslow is composing his memoirs. His companions are the only woman he has ever loved, who has gone insane, and the cryogenically frozen body of her father, the devilish genius who drove her mad. The tale of Harold’s decades-long thwarted love is also one in which he watches technology transform his childhood home from a mere burgeoning metropolis to a waking dream, in which the wellheeled have mechanical men for servants, deserted islands can exist within skyscrapers, and the worlds of fairy tales can be built from scratch. And as he heads toward a final, desperate confrontation with the mad inventor, he discovers that he is an unwitting participant in the creation of the greatest invention of them all-the perpetual motion machine." [Source]
You will get a review within August. It will take some time to write the review. For me it was three books in one and I could not read more than 30 pages per day. You will either like it with a grain of salt or it will annoy you.

I could not withstand to read of The Word For World Is Forest (pb ,2010; first published 1976) [ISBN-13: 978-0765323224] by Ursula K. Le Guin.
"When the inhabitants of a peaceful world are conquered by the bloodthirsty Yumens, their existence is irrevocably altered. Forced into servitude, the Athsheans find themselves at the mercy of their brutal masters.
Desperation causes the Athsheans, led by Selver, to retaliate against their captors, abandoning their strictures against violence. But defending their lives, they have endangered the very foundations of their society, for every blow against the invaders is a blow to the humanity of the Athsheans. And once the killing starts, there is no turning back."
Just 190 pages. I read it within a day.
Now I need to transform my notes into a proper review.

By the way I always take notes when I read a book. I fold an A4 paper twice. So I get eight little pages. Enough for most of the books.


When you look at the right column of the blog, you will notice that I started reading another three books:
Epic fantasy, science fiction and a kind of urban fantasy. I think it is a good mix.

When you follow the blog regularly then you will know that Sarah often leaves comments. This evening I found out that she has an own blog since April 2010! The name of the blog is

So have a look. We have a similar taste regarding fantasy.


Now I return to my books. ENJOY READING!

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Thanks for the comment you left on my blog, by the way. I will email you tonight when I get a minute. Also, thanks for the shout out about my blog. I really appreciate it!

I saw Inception on Sunday. I really for some reason would usually rather get my teeth pulled out than go to a movie. I was expecting to HATE it but I ended up LOVING it. Leonardo DiCaprio does a great job in that flick.

Thanks again!

ediFanoB said...

Hi Sarah,
you're welcome.
You do not need to hurry. Send me a mail whenever it is convenient for you.

Glad you liked INCEPTION.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...