Saturday, July 31, 2010

Edi's weekend Wave #31

Hello and welcome to issue #31 of Edi's Weekend Wave. A relaxed and satisfying week draw to a close. Relaxed because I'm still on holiday. Satisfying because I could post a little bit more and spent a lot of time with reading - either posts on other blogs or books. The sun is shining after several days of gray sky and rain. Sunshine is good for the mood like chocolate. Today I got both :-)))
Enjoy reading ...


Edi's Guidepost

The Lighthouse
News and information straight from the horse's mouth by Lighthouse keeper ediFanoB
  1. End of July - August ahead
Books
The latest report from our shelf shop net correspondent Bona
  1. Book received this week: The Word For World Is Forest by Ursula K.Le Guin (pb)
  2. A Book for you? The Last King's Amulet by Chris Northern (ebook)
Blogosphere
Messages from the depths of the blogosphere by spheronaut Bona Fide
  1. What color is your magic?
  2. Sword and Sorcery - a Mind Meld
  3. A Pen Mightier Than Any Sword
Movies
Remote control junkie Fide and his zapping highlights
  1. Sucker Punch
Quotes
The member of the house of quotes and a quote himself the Keeper of the minutes ( we call him Kotm) fished for you
  1. German proverbs, sayings and idioms Philosophy

The Lighthouse

Ultimo! Today is the last day of July 2010. Due to my holiday I have been able to read six books so far. I will finish one more tonight. I got a lot of nice gifts (birthday). I posted more than last month. And I found time to think about the blog. You will see the results soon. Curious? I hope so.

What to expect for August?
I decided that from now on Sunday will be my main review day. That means for August five reviews.
So you can expect at least nine posts ( four weekend waves and five reviews). Not more in a month with 31 days? Don't worry there is more to come ....

Enjoy your weekend ....

Books

Dear readers, I'm the one to tell you about books - only books? What about novellas and other stuff? My name is Bona. I scour shelves, shops and the net for books. If you call me a book whore I would not gainsay you. But be aware I have my own, sometimes elusive taste.

This week we received three books and a mug. But I posted about two books and the mug before. Today we received the third book and it is a real interesting one.

Once again I have to Tor/Forge publicist Cassandra Ammerman for sending us a copy of the US paperback edition of The Word For World Is Forest (pb ,2010; first published 1976) [ISBN-13: 978-0765323224] by Ursula K. Le Guin.

"When the inhabitants of a peaceful world are conquered by the bloodthirsty Yumens, their existence is irrevocably altered. Forced into servitude, the Athsheans find themselves at the mercy of their brutal masters.
Desperation causes the Athsheans, led by Selver, to retaliate against their captors, abandoning their strictures against violence. But defending their lives, they have endangered the very foundations of their society, for every blow against the invaders is a blow to the humanity of the Athsheans. And once the killing starts, there is no turning back."
Let quote some more information from Cassandra about a novel written when I was just thirteen years old.
"Based on a novella Le Guin wrote in 1972, The Word For World Is Forest was inspired by the Vietnam War.
Its influence and reach have been immeasurable, with references throughout several decades of pop culture. A copy of the book was seen in the background of the Stanley Kubrik film Full Metal Jacket, and it is alluded to in Stephen King's novel The Stand. Even now, The Word For World Is Forest remains relevant: in December 2009, critic Gary Westfahl compared the blockbuster film Avatar to Le Guin's novel in an issue of Locus."
I liked the 3D version of the movie a lot - especially the colors of the flora. And of course I would like to know about the connection between Avatar and The Word For World Is Forest. Therefore I added the book to my lst of the books to be read until the end of 2010. Compared to the books I read recently it is short: only 190 pages. But the number of pages does not give any hint about the content ....

A few days ago I received a review request via mail. I'm open-minded but I do not read and review every book. And this time the book did not arise my interest. I know it is difficult to get into business. Therefore I promised author Chris Northern to share work about his fantasy novel The Last King's Amulet (ebook).
 "My name is Sumto, and I am a gambling, lazy, good-for-nothing drunk who has to join the army and fight in a war I am frankly too corpulent to cope with. Still, that's got to be as bad as things get, Am I right?"
Chris wrote to me:
"Actually, my intent with the series is serious - political, sociological, and to shine a light on the fundamental natural of humans as it relates to both - and the bits that make people laugh are not usually comic in intent but a consequence of who Sumto is. Have you noticed that people often laugh at things that are not 'funny' when disected? Human nature again."
So if you think this could be a novel for you then read the sample by following this link.

No more today, see you next week ......

Blogosphere

Hey, I'm Bona Fide. I just came back from my last foray through the blogosphere. What can you expect from me? I tell you: Everything from Art to Fart as long as there is any faint connection to books. And here is some honey from the beehive blogosphere...

From time to time I like to take part in online quizzes. Within the past week I found a now one. It is related to the new forthcoming novel by Bent Weeks: The Black Prism (2010) [ISBN-13: 978-1841499031].

"Gavin Guile is the Prism, the most powerful man in the world. He is high priest and emperor, a man whose power, wit, and charm are all that preserves a tenuous peace. But Prisms never last, and Guile knows exactly how long he has left to live: Five years to achieve five impossible goals.
But when Guile discovers he has a son, born in a far kingdom after the war that put him in power, he must decide how much he’s willing to pay to protect a secret that could tear his world apart."


Now coming back to the quiz. This is my result:

I'm a green magic drafter!

Take the quiz at Brent Weeks.com


You are a green drafter

Green luxin is springy and flexible. The uses are as varied as the drafter is creative: from furniture to projectiles to shields to the throwing arms of war engines. Greens are wild, free. They don't so much disrespect authority as not even recognize it.

The results from your color matching test confirm what we expected: You have normal vision. Your chromaturgy will fail and disintegrate at times for reasons you don't understand, but you are still gifted enough to make a good living, and be honored by your patron.

Magic in the Black Prism
When a candle burns, a physical substance (wax) is transformed into light. Chromaturgy in The Black Prism is the inverse: A drafter transforms light into a physical substance (luxin). Each different color of luxin has its own strength, weight, and even smell: blue luxin is hard, red is gooey, yellow is liquid, etc. But even as drafters change the world, the luxin changes them too, physically, mentally, and emotionally. The color change of a drafter's eyes is only the beginning…

I like the MIND MELD posts over at SF Signal. The latest one is related to a book I read recently:
Swords & Dark Magic (July 2010) [ISBN-13: 978-0061723810], edited by Jonathan Strahan and Lou Anders.

"Swords & Dark Magic is the most important new fantasy anthology to be published this decade. Featuring new stories from the bestselling and brightest writers working in the genre, including: New York Times bestselling authors Scott Lynch and Garth Nix; genre greats Michael Moorcock (with an all-new Elric novella), Michael Shea (with a fully authorized new Cugel the Clever adventure), Robert Silverberg (with an all-new Majipoor tale), Glen Cook (with an all-new Black Company story), Gene Wolfe, and C. J. Cherryh; and hot new writers who've been re-inventing swords and sorcery like Steven Erikson, Joe Abercrombie, Tim Lebbon, and many more." [Back of the book]

You want to know what the contributors of the book think about sword and sorcery?
Then read: MIND MELD: What 'Sword and Sorcery' Means to Me


There is a kind of relationship between pen and sword. You want to know more? Then read A Pen Mightier Than Any Sword.


That's it for today. Come back next week for more ......

Movies

Hey, it's me Fide. I'm a remote control professional. I'm that fast that I can watch two movies at the same time.
But don't worry. All the stuff I present to you will be shown at normal speed.

I must admit I could not withstand to present you the following trailer- containing a plethora of impressions. When I watched it the first time I could not believe that this all belongs to just one movie. But that changed immediately with one name: Zack Snyder. Sucker Punch is the next movie by Zack Snyder, director of Watchmen and 300.
"Sucker Punch is set in 1950's and follows a girl who is confined to a mental institution by her evil stepfather, who intends to have her lobotomized in five days. While there, she imagines an alternative reality to hide her from the pain, and in that world, she begins planning her escape, needing to steal five objects to help get her out before she is deflowered by a vile man." [Source]



That's all for today. See you next time....

Quotes

I 'm the Keeper of the minutes. But I don't mind when you call me Kotm. No, no. I don't explain to you how to pronounce.
We read a lot of different things this week. I asked myself several times whether there is a philosophy behind it or not. That is the reason why I finally searched for "philosophy quotes".
And that is what I found ...

"Philosophy, n. A route of many roads leading from nowhere to nothing.
Ambrose Bierce, The Devil's Dictionary, US author & satirist (1842 - 1914)


"I have a simple philosophy. Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. And scratch where it itches.
Alice Roosevelt Longworth, US author & wit (1884 - 1980)


"Philosophy is to the real world as masturbation is to sex.
Karl Marx, German economist & Communist political philosopher (1818 - 1883)


"History is philosophy teaching by example, and also warning; its two eyes are geography and chronology.
James A. Garfield, 20th president of US 1881 (1831 - 1881)

2 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Sucker Punch looks kick butt!

ediFanoB said...

I definitely want to see more!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...