Saturday, July 03, 2010

Edi's Weekend Wave #27

Hello and welcome to issue #27 of Edi's Weekend Wave. Temperatures are real hot topic in Germany in the truest sense of the word. And today - Saturday, July 3rd - is the hottest day of the year so far with temperature of 37 ºC = 98.6 ºF. We are not really used to temperatures like this. Best time of the day is in the early morning from 2 to 6. That means finally four hours for sleep. During the day every things needs double time and it is exhausting to concentrate on tasks. At home I put an ice bag on my head. That helps a lot.
Before you enjoy reading ....

Neither sneer nor sarcasm for Argentina -
just a plain
KUDOS! GERMANY
Magnificient Match

Edi's Guidepost

The Lighthouse
News and information straight from the horse's mouth by Lighthouse keeper ediFanoB
  1. Posts, books, soccer ....
Books
The latest report from our shelf shop net correspondent Bona
  1. Books received this week
  2. The Keep by F. Paul Wilson - a book for me?
Blogosphere
Messages from the depths of the blogosphere by spheronaut Bona Fide
  1. A new blog project ...
  2. I like this kind of post
Movies
Remote control junkie Fide and his zapping highlights
  1. Sorcerer's Apprentice
  2. Rango
  3. Red
  4. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
Quotes
The member of the house of quotes and a quote himself the Keeper of the minutes ( we call him Kotm) fished for you
  1. German proverbs, sayings and idioms Only one quote today . . . . .

The Lighthouse

Blogger.com does not like me today. I press Save Now after every sentence I write. Unfortunately my browser session crashed. After resuming my draft half of my post has gone. That's life! I don't complain and try to rewrite as much as I remember.
I'm a bit rhapsodical after the victory of the German team. I think I need it after this lousy June.
This is the fourth consecutive post and you can expect the fifth tomorrow - a review. Which book? That will be a surprise. But I give you a hint: It is one of the books from my 2010 Halftime Report.
I'm sure I will read and review more books than in June. One reason for that will be my holiday from July 19th to August 6th. That means a bit more time for reading and reviewing. Of course I will spend time with my wife. We started to plan some daily trips. There are still a lot of museums, zoos, towns and other places we would like to visit.
Only 20 days left until my birthday. There is not a single book on his wish list. I spend 50 Euro per month for books and I thought I would like to get some DVDs and CDs. We will see ....

Enjoy your weekend ....

Books

Dear readers, I'm the one to tell you about books - only books? What about novellas and other stuff? My name is Bona. I scour shelves, shops and the net for books. If you call me a book whore I would not gainsay you. But be aware I have my own, sometimes elusive taste.

This week we received one book - a real door stopper. As you may know I buy mostly paperbacks. And for this book I had to wait until this month: Under The Dome (July, 2010) [ISBN-13: 978-0340992586] by Stephen King. UK publisher Hodder & Stoughton did something special with the book cover. They feature four different covers. Read the whole story of at Lilja's Library. And these are the covers:


I got a copy with the young man on the cover.
For all of you who have not read the book like me the synopsis:
"On an entirely normal, beautiful fall day in Chester's Mill, Maine, the town is inexplicably and suddenly sealed off from the rest of the world by an invisible force field. Planes crash into it and fall from the sky in flaming wreckage, a gardener's hand is severed as "the dome" comes down on it, people running errands in the neighboring town are divided from their families, and cars explode on impact. No one can fathom what this barrier is, where it came from, and when--or if--it will go away.
Dale Barbara, Iraq War vet and now a short-order cook, finds himself teamed with a few intrepid citizens--town newspaper owner Julia Shumway, a physician's assistant at the hospital, a select-woman, and three brave kids. Against them stands Big Jim Rennie, a politician who will stop at nothing--even murder--to hold the reins of power, and his son, who is keeping a horrible secret in a dark pantry. But their main adversary is the Dome itself. Because time isn't just short. It's running out." [Source]
So far I never read a book by F Paul Wilson. In December Tor will publish the first book of the Adversary Cycle series for the first time in trade paperback: The Keep (first published in 1981) [ISBN-13: 978-0765327390] by F Paul Wilson. It aroused my interest even in is a horror novel.
"Something is murdering my men.
Thus reads the message received from a Nazi commander stationed in a small castle high in the remote Transylvanian Alps. Invisible and silent, the enemy selects one victim per night, leaving the bloodless and mutilated corpses behind to terrify its future victims.
When an elite SS extermination squad is dispatched to solve the problem, the men find something that's both powerful and terrifying. Panicked, the Nazis bring in a local expert on folklore--who just happens to be Jewish--to shed some light on the mysterious happenings. And unbeknownst to anyone, there is another visitor on his way--a man who awoke from a nightmare and immediately set out to meet his destiny.
The battle has begun: On one side, the ultimate evil created by man, and on the other...the unthinkable, unstoppable, unknowing terror that man has inevitably awakened"
[Source]
No more today, see you next week ......

Blogosphere

Hey, I'm Bona Fide. I just came back from my last foray through the blogosphere. What can you expect from me? I tell you: Everything from Art to Fart as long as there is any faint connection to books. And here is some honey from the beehive blogosphere...

There is a new collaboration project with the the goal to read and review all of the books that are part of the Gollancz series of Fantasy and SF Masterworks. Twelve blogger contribute the site named SFF Masterworks. Check it out.

Again I have to mention one of my favorite periodically posts. I highly appreciate the spotlight posts over at Fantasy Book Critic. Don't miss to read the Spotlight on July Books which contains 60 books!

That's it for today. Come back next week for more ......

Movies

Hey, it's me Fide. I'm a remote control professional. I'm that fast that I can watch two movies at the same time.
But don't worry. All the stuff I present to you will be shown at normal speed.

Today I have four trailers for you and no, no, no there is no coincidence with the win of the German team. It is an interesting mix. Surprise, surprise. I found three trailers for you. One for summer 2010, one for Christmas 2010 and one for January 2011.

Do you like to clean your flat/house? Do you think magic would be helpful for you? Then watch this:

The Sorcerer's Apprentice, starring Nicolas Cage, will hit the cinemas in US within this month.

From time to time I like to watch animated movies. I like when they show unusual "heroes". Rango, planned to hit the cinemas in 2011, starring the voice of Johnny Depp, aroused my interest.
"A chameleon that aspires to be a swashbuckling hero finds himself in a Western town plagued by bandits and is forced to literally play the role in order to protect it." [Source]



As we all I get older. There is still a lot of time for me until I retire. Fortunately I'm no former CIA-agent and therefore my future will be different compared to Frank Moses:
"Red is the story of Frank Moses (Bruce Willis), a former black-ops CIA agent, who is now living a quiet life. That is, until the day a hi-tech assassin shows up intent on killing him. With his identity compromised and the life of the woman he cares for, Sarah (Mary-Louise Parker), endangered, Frank reassembles his old team (Morgan Freeman, John Malkovich and Helen Mirren) in a last ditch effort to survive." [Source]

RED will hit the cinemas in US and UK on October 15th and in Germany on October 28th.

The last trailer for today does not need any introduction. I read all the books and watched all the movies so far and of course I will watch the parted final - even it will be in 3D.





That's all for today. See you next time....

Quotes

I 'm the Keeper of the minutes. But I don't mind when you call me Kotm. No, no. I don't explain to you how to pronounce.
In one way or the other ediFanoB is a weird character. And sometimes I do not really understand why he acts like he acts. Sometimes it looks ruinous for me. That is the reason why I searched for quotes containing ruin.
Here we go ...

"Nothing great in the world has ever been accomplished without passion.
Christian Friedrich Hebbel (German Poet and Dramatist, 1813-1863)

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...