Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Edi's Lighthouse Chatter: The Value Of Oral Tradition

I belong to these people who need every morning their daily newspaper- a real paper one.
Frankfurter Rundschau is the name of "my" newspaper and it is a German one.

Yesterday, July 27th 2010, I read an interesting article about the search for the ships of the Franklin Expedition. It is the search for the HMS Terror and HMS Erebus.
In 1845 Sir John Franklin and 128 crew members started their search for the Northwest Passage on board the HMS Terror and the HMS Erebus. Finally they failed and both ships disappeared. Nobody knows exactly where.
Of course there have been several expedition to find the ships. But all failed until today. In August 2010 A crew on board the icebreaker Sir Wilfried Laurier will start a new attempt to find the ships.
This time the prerequisites are a bit different. The search will be done based on Inuit oral tradition collected by 50 year old Inuit historian Louis Kamookak, who lives in Gjoa Haven, Nunavut.
I'm curious about the results.

And now you ask yourself why I post about it. The reason is quite simple: A BOOK!
A great book! An awesome read!

The Terror (pb, 2007, 771 p.) [ISBN-13: 978-0316017459] by Dan Simmons.
"The men on board HMS Terror have every expectation of finding the Northwest Passage. When the expedition's leader, Sir John Franklin, meets a terrible death, Captain Francis Crozier takes command and leads his surviving crewmen on a last, desperate attempt to flee south across the ice. But as another winter approaches, as scurvy and starvation grow more terrible, and as the Terror on the ice stalks them southward, Crozier and his men begin to fear there is no escape. A haunting, gripping story based on actual historical events, The Terror will chill you to your core."


I read the German edition in May 2009 and that is what I wrote about it on Goodreads.
"Reading impression
I read the well done German translation of the book
Dan Simmons tells the story of the last expedition of John Franklin, who tried to find the Northwest Passage in 1845 with the ships HMS Terror and HMS Erebus.
Based on the know facts Dan Simmons depicts an expressive and impressive metaphor of the expedition. I felt the cold on nearly every page. And not to forget the intense description of the feelings of the expedition members.Beside this you learn a lot about the customs and traditions of the Eskimos.
The appendix contains the list of crew members, a glossary and explanations of Eskimo terms.

I recommend this book warmly to everyone who is interested in
- Arctic Zone
- Discoverers
- Abysms of the human soul."

I highly recommend to read
The Terror . Another great book by Dan Simmons.

2 comments:

SARAH said...

I recently read Ilium by Dan Simmons. I'd never read anything by him before but I really, really loved his writing style. "The Terror" looks very interesting.

ediFanoB said...

Sarah,

The Terror has been my first Dan Simmons book.
In the meantime I read Drood - my review.

I loved them both.

Black Hills is on my books to read until end of 2010 list.

I own an unread copy of Hyperion.

It would be very kind if you could tell me a bit more about your impression of Ilium.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...