Thursday, July 08, 2010

Edi's Lighthouse Chatter: Pause for a moment

Dear readers,

yesterday (July 7th) Germany lost the semifinal game against Spain. That was sad.
No excuses - the better team won.

I felt mentally exhausted and I needed compensation. Instead of eating sweets or drinking beer I decided to read a book. How inventive while I still have to finish three books! I like these books but they didn't fit to my mood.
I wanted something steamish with action and a likable hero. It did not take take long to decide which book would fit perfectly.
It is the latest book in series which I like a lot. A series where the author gave following arguments for reading:
"Because they’re great fun reads and an entertaining way to take yourself out of the world for a few hours. Also, there’s a big story in there that’s steadily beginning to take shape (and which I had planned from day one), so you want to be there for the ride and the dramatic denouement in about… twelve books time (or thereabouts)." [Source]
Do you know which book I'm talking about? Let me solve the riddle:

I'm a big fan of the PAX BRITANNIA steampunk series and recently I received my copy of book six: Blood Royal (2010, 320 p.) [ISBN-13: 978-1907519376] by Jonathan Green.
"Britain reels from the events that saw some of its citizens mutated into hideous insects. The streets are awash with rumors of a dark new religion created from the destruction surrounding St Paul's. In Europe the specter of war rears its ugly head; a war fought by unnatural beings. In the centre of the chaos, hero of the Empire, Ulysses Quicksilver must maintain his calm, while madness reigns and he fights to protect civilization!" [Source]
In the meantime I read 120 pages and it is exactly what I needed. Of course you can expect a review and of course I will resume reading of the other three books soon.



Beside that I paused for a moment and thought about me, my blog, my reading, ... to keep it short I thought about my daily exposure to my passion. Always hunting for the next book, hunting for the latest news, hunting for the next preview. But what about the joy of blogging and reading? Isn't it like a rat race?
I think it is one result of our fast moving world. I came to the conclusion: I can't have a finger in every pie. And what does this mean for me and my reading and blogging? I'm not sure. I have to work on it during my upcoming holiday.

Anyway I know:
Nothing goes without joy and fun!

2 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Really sorry about Germany. That was a shocker.

Blogging is a balance. It helps to blog about stuff you enjoy. I'm always on the lookout for new movies, music, and books, so it's not that difficult. Of course, other writers and authors probably think I'm odd when I rave about the latest prog rock band. Oh well!

ediFanoB said...

I fully agree that blogging is a balance.
I also lookout for new books and movies, especially for my weekly post.
In June I definitely lost my balance. I read just one book. That was so sad.
Now I try to calibrate myself.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...