Thursday, July 29, 2010

Edi's Lighthouse Chatter: Bad Weather - Nice Surprise

The first part of July has been too hot and the second part is getting wet. The sky is gray and it rains a lot.
It doesn't matter for me as long as I can stay at home surrounded by good books. But the cherry of the cake is when the postman rings the bell - like today.

A huge envelope like on Monday but different content. This time from New York instead from Australia. Thanks to Tor/forge for sending me copies of two books by an author I did not read before. A lot of you will know her - yes she is a woman. She is a contributor to the Wild Cards series edited by George R. R. Martin ( the online guide). And she is the author of the famous series about a werewolf named Kitty who hosts a talk radio advice show for the supernaturally disadvantaged - The Kitty Norville series. Her name is Carrie Vaughn.

Now you know one reason why I didn't read one of her books so far: I'm not that interested in werewolves.

Anyway the first book I received is the eighths novel in the Kitty Norville series:

Kitty Goes To War (2010, 334 p.) [ISBN-13: 978-0765365613] by Carrie Vaughn.
"Kitty Norville, werewolf radio call-in show host, gets a call from an old friend at the NIH's Center for the Study of Paranatural Biology, a friend with a problem, who doesn't know where else to turn. Three Army soldiers who have recently returned from the war in Afghanistan are in custody at Ft. Carson in Colorado Springs. They're also werewolves suffering from post traumatic stress, unable to control their shape-shifting, unable to interact with people. Kitty agrees to see them, curious and wanting to help. Meanwhile, Kitty gets sued for slander after featuring Speedy Mart - a chain of 24-hour convenience stores with a reputation for attracting the supernatural - on her show, and an old friend-and-adversary has just been released from jail." [Source]
To be honest I'm not really sure I want to read it. BUT my wife will read it and based on her opinion I will decide whether I will read it or not. I think that is a wise decision....


The second book by Carrie Vaughn is a lot more promising to me:
Discord's Apple (2010, 299 p.) [ISBN-13: 978-0765325549] by Carrie Vaughn.
"When Evie Walker goes home to spend time with her dying father, she discovers that his creaky old house in Hope's Fort, Colorado is not the only legacy she stands to inherit. Hidden behind the old basement door is a secret and magical storeroom where wondrous treasures from myth and legend are kept safe unit they are needed again. The magic of the storeroom prevents access to any who are not intended to use the items.
Evie must guard the storeroom against ancient and malicious forces, protecting the past and the future even as the present unravels around them. Old heroes and notorious villains alike will rise to fight on her side or to undermine her most desperate gambits. At stake is the fate of the world, and the prevention of nothing less than the apocalypse." [Source]
What is stored behind the old basement door, in a house in Hop's Fort, Colorado?
Who is interested in what is stored in the room?
And finally who is interested in the stuff behind the old basement door?

I want the answers for the questions above. It seems the only way to get the answers is to read Discord's Apple. And that is what I will do.I added Discord's Apple tothe list of books which I want to read until the end of 2010.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...