Saturday, June 19, 2010

Edi's Weekend Wave #25

Hello and welcome to issue #25 of Edi's Weekend Wave. I don't want to complain but the last week has been very disappointing for me from reading point of view. I instantly hope that it will change soon. Fingers crossed ...
Anyway on upcoming Monday you will get a review, a special one. So look forward. Enjoy reading ......

Edi's Guidepost

The Lighthouse
News and information straight from the horse's mouth by Lighthouse keeper ediFanoB
  1. What I do and try to do ....
Books
The latest report from our shelf shop net correspondent Bona
  1. Books received this week
Blogosphere
Messages from the depths of the blogosphere by spheronaut Bona Fide
  1. Bona Fide goes visual ....
Movies
Remote control junkie Fide and his zapping highlights
  1. The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings
Quotes
The member of the house of quotes and a quote himself the Keeper of the minutes ( we call him Kotm) fished for you
  1. German proverbs, sayings and idioms AUSTRALIAN PROVERBS . . . . .

The Lighthouse

As I told you last week, I watched several 2010 FIFA World Cup games. Of course it is a lot easier to watch TV instead of reading books or blogging when you are drained.
Anyway A Plague of Sinners (May 2010, 448 p.) [ISBN-13: 978-1905636914], by Paul Lawrence is a great read. I like it very much. I'm halfway through. It seems I'm not the right reader for short stories. In the meantime I read several stories of Swords & Dark Magic (July 2010) [ISBN-13: 978-0061723810], edited by Jonathan Strahan and Lou Anders. But I'm not really happy with them because every I time when I get comfortable with the writing of an authors the story ends. Maybe there will be one or more authors where I want to read more.
Hopefully I can start reading The Dream of Perpetual Motion (2010, 432 p.) [ISBN-13: 978-0312558154] by Dexter Palmer within next week.
I don't know how but I found a little bit time to play Super Mario Galaxy 2 and it is absolutely awesome!!
Enjoy your weekend.....

Books

Dear readers, I'm the one to tell you about books - only books? What about novellas and other stuff? My name is Bona. I scour shelves, shops and the net for books. If you call me a book whore I would not gainsay you. But be aware I have my own, sometimes elusive taste.

This week we received (drum roll) two books. Today I present you one. The other one deserves an own post which you can read tomorrow. It has been a pleasant surprise because I received not only a book ....

Blood Royal (2010) [ISBN-13: 978-1906735302] by Jonathan Green which is the 6th book in the PAX BRITANNIA series. Ad I like the series a lot.
"Magna Britannia reels from the events that we saw some of its citizens mutated into hideous insect hybrids. The strets are awash with rumors of a twisted new religion created from the destruction surrounding St Paul's Cathedral. In Europe, the spectre of wars rears its ugly head, a war fought by unnatural beings. In the centre of the chaos, hero of the Empire, Ulysses Quicksilver, must maintain his calm, while madness reigns and he fights to protect civilisation itself. From the insect-haunted streets of a shattered London, to the cold snowy wastes of Russia, Ulysses finds himself on an adventure into the heart of a dark and bloody empire." [Source: back of the book]

I really look forward to read it (I know, I know, I write this too often). By the way, the book contains an additional story titled White Rabbit.

No more today, see you next week ......

Blogosphere

Hey, I'm Bona Fide. I just came back from my last foray through the blogosphere. What can you expect from me? I tell you: Everything from Art to Fart as long as there is any faint connection to books. And here is some honey from the beehive blogosphere...

This week I could not spend much time in the blogosphere. I'm afraid of opening my google reader. I don't want to drown in unread items. So I thought about alternatives. And this is the result: Bona Fide goes visual. That means I will offer you some interesting links which mostly are not related to books. But sometimes we should have a lookt beyond books. Hope you like my unorthodox selection ....

The Man In The Iron Mask

Unusual and Marvelous Maps, Part 2

Real Ghost Ships: 10 Mysterious Abandoned Sea Vessels

Troopers Behaving Badly: More Off-Duty Stormtrooper Bloopers


No Dearth of Darth: 100 Artistic Versions of Vader

Anyway there is No Escape

That's it for today. Come back next week for more ......

Movies

Hey, it's me Fide. I'm a remote control professional. I'm that fast that I can watch two movies at the same time.
But don't worry. All the stuff I present to you will be shown at normal speed.

Summer is coming nearer and that means less movie trailers. Instead of a movie trailer I present you two videos about the upcoming game (2011) The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings. The game has been one of the E3 2010 highlights. Don't miss to read the IGN E3 2010: The Witcher 2 Preview. Now enjoy a gameplay video and part one of the developer's diary.




That's all for today. See you next time....

Quotes

I 'm the Keeper of the minutes. But I don't mind when you call me Kotm. No, no. I don't explain to you how to pronounce.
2010 FIFA World Cup in South Africa. Today as tribute to the Australian team I present you Australian proverbs. Why? Because the guys did a great job versus Ghana. Finally it was a draw but in my eyes Australia is the winner by hearts. Here we go ...

"Those who lose dreaming are lost.
Aboriginal Australian proverb


"Keep your eyes on the sun and you will not see the shadows.
Aboriginal Australian proverb


"A 1000 miles journey starts with a single step.
Aboriginal Australian proverb


"The more you know, the less you need.
Aboriginal Australian proverb


"We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love... and then we return home.
Aboriginal Australian proverb

2 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Some good stuff this week!

ediFanoB said...

Thank you Alex.
Anyway I try to improve step by step.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...