Saturday, June 12, 2010

Edi's Weekend Wave #24

Hello and welcome to issue #24 of Edi's Weekend Wave. I don't want to complain but the last week has been very disappointing for me from reading point of view. I instantly hope that it will change soon. Fingers crossed ...
Anyway on upcoming Monday you will get a review, a special one. So look forward. Enjoy reading ......

Edi's Guidepost

The Lighthouse
News and information straight from the horse's mouth by Lighthouse keeper ediFanoB
  1. This and that
Books
The latest report from our shelf shop net correspondent Bona
  1. Books received this week
Blogosphere
Messages from the depths of the blogosphere by spheronaut Bona Fide
  1. The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson
  2. Dante's Journey by J. C. Marino
Movies
Remote control junkie Fide and his zapping highlights
  1. A short film
  2. Jonah Hex news
Quotes
The member of the house of quotes and a quote himself the Keeper of the minutes ( we call him Kotm) fished for you
  1. German proverbs, sayings and idioms AFRICAN PROVERBS . . . . .

The Lighthouse

Next four weeks I will havemore than one look at 2010 FIFA World Cup in South Africa. I will definitely watch all the games of the German team. a look at the FIFA 2010. My reading is going down the drain. After twelve days in June not even one book finished. Anyway I will definitely read and review following three books:
A Plague of Sinners (May 2010, 448 p.) [ISBN-13: 978-1905636914], by Paul Lawrence, Swords & Dark Magic (July 2010) [ISBN-13: 978-0061723810], edited by Jonathan Strahan and Lou Anders and The Dream of Perpetual Motion (2010, 432 p.) [ISBN-13: 978-0312558154] by Dexter Palmer. The rest will depend ...
Of course I try tofollow my schedule but as my colleagues always say a plan is just a plan.


Books

Dear readers, I'm the one to tell you about books - only books? What about novellas and other stuff? My name is Bona. I scour shelves, shops and the net for books. If you call me a book whore I would not gainsay you. But be aware I have my own, sometimes elusive taste.

This week we received more books than we read and has been a little bit sad in case of reading. We received just one book. That means we did not read even one book. Shame on you ediFanoB. We expect you will read more next week. And now straight away to the book .....
The Folding Knife (2010, 501p.) [ISBN-13: 978-1841495125] by K.J. Parker is her 11th full novel. I own copies of seven books.The rest will follow.
"Basso the Magnificent. Basso the Great. Basso the Wise. Basso the Murderer. The First Citizen of the Vesani Republic is an extraordinary man. He is ruthless, cunning and, above all, lucky. He brings wealth, power and prestige to his people. But with power comes unwanted attention, and Basso must defend his nation and himself from threats foreign and domestic. In a lifetime of crucial decisions, he's only ever made one mistake. One mistake, though, can be enough." [Source]
I admire K. J. Parker's writing. Beyond my admiration I deliver you three good reasons why you should read The Folding Knife too. The Folding Knife by K. J. Parker (reviewed Liviu Suciu)
Blood of the muse: The Folding Knife by K. J. Parker
Grasping For The Wind: The Folding Knife by K. J. Parker

No more today, see you next week ......

Blogosphere

Hey, I'm Bona Fide. I just came back from my last foray through the blogosphere. What can you expect from me? I tell you: Everything from Art to Fart as long as there is any faint connection to books. And here is some honey from the beehive blogosphere...

270x300

As you may know, #1 New York Times bestselling author Brandon Sanderson, widely acclaimed for his work completing Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time, is launching a grand cycle of his own, The Stormlight Archive. Book one, The Way of Kings, introduces the three protagonists who will be our windows on the world of Roshar and the drama about to unfold there....

Today, in association with Tor Books, we are thrilled to be launching an exclusive preview of The Way of Kings. It comes out in print, audio, and ebook form on August 31st, but right now, you can read the prologues and the first three chapters only on Tor.com.

The preview is available to registered users, so sign in with your Tor.com username and password to read it.

You can keep up with all our posts on Brandon Sanderson and the Stormlight Archive on our Way of Kings Index page.

In case you are an avid book blog reader you know this information. Don't worry, I don't post the whole preview. If you don't like to sign in then you should visit Aidan's blog A Dribble Of Ink. He got permission to offer download of the text in different formats. Of course it is for free. I hope to read it within this weekend.

Anyway I like to add some more information. Due to Tor the Stormlight Archives should consist of ten volumes.
Due to Amazon The Way of Kings is listed 1008 pages long. And finally this ist he product description from Amazon.de:
"Widely acclaimed for his work completing Robert Jordan’s Wheel of Time saga, Brandon Sanderson now begins a grand cycle of his own, one every bit as ambitious and immersive.

Roshar is a world of stone and storms. Uncanny tempests of incredible power sweep across the rocky terrain so frequently that they have shaped ecology and civilization alike. Animals hide in shells, trees pull in branches, and grass retracts into the soilless ground. Cities are built only where the topography offers shelter.

It has been centuries since the fall of the ten consecrated orders known as the Knights Radiant, but their Shardblades and Shardplate remain: mystical swords and suits of armor that transform ordinary men into near-invincible warriors. Men trade kingdoms for Shardblades. Wars were fought for them, and won by them.

One such war rages on a ruined landscape called the Shattered Plains. There, Kaladin, who traded his medical apprenticeship for a spear to protect his little brother, has been reduced to slavery. In a war that makes no sense, where ten armies fight separately against a single foe, he struggles to save his men and to fathom the leaders who consider them expendable.

Brightlord Dalinar Kholin commands one of those other armies. Like his brother, the late king, he is fascinated by an ancient text called The Way of Kings. Troubled by over-powering visions of ancient times and the Knights Radiant, he has begun to doubt his own sanity.

Across the ocean, an untried young woman named Shallan seeks to train under an eminent scholar and notorious heretic, Dalinar’s niece, Jasnah. Though she genuinely loves learning, Shallan’s motives are less than pure. As she plans a daring theft, her research for Jasnah hints at secrets of the Knights Radiant and the true cause of the war.

The result of over ten years of planning, writing, and world-building, The Way of Kings is but the opening movement of the Stormlight Archive, a bold masterpiece in the making.

Speak again the ancient oaths,

Life before death.
Strength before weakness.
Journey before Destination.

and return to men the Shards they once bore.
The Knights Radiant must stand again."
Recently blogger fellow Seak reviewed Dante's Journey [ISBN-13: 978-1935188094] by J. C. Marino. Once again I have to say a big thankyou to Shellie from Layers of Thought. She told J.C.Marino about me and my blog. A few days later I received a mail from the author asking me if I would like to read and review his book. Based on Seak's review I said yes. I know that sounds crazy due to my reading experience in the past 12 days. But I hope that will change soon.
"A flash of light and Detective Joe Dante steps through. No longer on the cobblestone streets of 1961 Boston, Joe finds himself in a horrifying new world-Hell itself. Joe was in hot pursuit of his family's killer, drug lord Filippo Argenti, when both were killed, and isn't about to let a little thing like death slow him down. So, with a healthy dose of New England stubbornness and the help of a mysterious guide, Virgil DiMini, Joe must evade angry demons, and search ever-lower through the rings of the original Dante's Inferno in hopes of finding justice for his wife and children. However, Joe will soon discover that behind every sin lies a secret and each secret revealed could land Joe in an eternity of hot water... VERY hot."

That's it for today. Come back next week for more ......

Movies

Hey, it's me Fide. I'm a remote control professional. I'm that fast that I can watch two movies at the same time.
But don't worry. All the stuff I present to you will be shown at normal speed.

This week I present you a real gem. Hollywood showed interest in this sci-fi short movie:
"Chris Black possesses a power that could lead to the destruction of the current regime, and they will stop at nothing to destroy him. The chase is on as Chris runs for his life in this sci-fi thriller set in an alternate and futuristic Los Angeles." [Source]

For more information visit: THE RAVEN FILM on Facebook

I posted about Jonah Hex in issue #18 of Edi's Weekend Wave. Now I found a new video for you. Bullets, bullets, bullets ...
Jonah Hex Exclusive Clip

Trailer Park Movies | MySpace Video


That's all for today. See you next time....

Quotes

I 'm the Keeper of the minutes. But I don't mind when you call me Kotm. No, no. I don't explain to you how to pronounce.
2010 FIFA World Cup in South Africa. And what else can you expect than African porverbs. Here we go ...

"No one tests the depth of a river with both feet.
African proverb


"A camel never sees its own hump.
African proverb


"Everybody has been young before, but not everybody has been old before.
African proverb


"Do not try to fight a lion if you are not one yourself.
African proverb


"Not to know is bad. Not to wish to know is worse.
African proverb


"Knowledge is like a garden; if it is not cultivated, it cannot be harvested.
African proverb

2 comments:

Shellie - Layers of Thought said...

Thanks for the shout out Edi!

ediFanoB said...

You're welcome Shelie

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...